OAT Physics Questions?

rani82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone that has taken the exam recently:

(1) About Physics - what kind of problems were they - mostly Kinematics, Newtonian Mechanics, Optics, Forces on an Inclined Plane, like that? What did you feel you could have done to better prepare for this section?

(2) If you saw any similar Achiever and Kaplan questions on the OAT - were they from the subject tests or from the Kaplan Practice Midterm, Final, and OAT Practice Tests or both?

(3) Were the Kaplan QR Subject Tests representative of the actual OAT?

Thanks for your help!

Good luck to everyone applying for Fall 2007!

Members don't see this ad.

hey reni, u sure check the forum alot!! (but so do i)

(1) About Physics - what kind of problems were they - mostly Kinematics, Newtonian Mechanics, Optics, Forces on an Inclined Plane, like that?

the real OATs test you a little on everything, and in pairs as well (i guess that's good). pretty much, they asked one or two quesetions from each of the chapters in the MCAT book. they weren't hard, but you do need to know the CONCEPTS behind each section because that is what the physics is all about. so yea, go through your mcat physics section one by one and make sure u nail it. if you wanna be hardcore, buy the schuamm's college physics review and do the easiest examples from each section then u'll probably get a 400. (i didn't do it, obviously) The questions from kaplan were most representative. but achiever helps cuz they give u the same type of questions as you would see on the real thing, but harder.

(2) Achiever and Kaplan questions that you saw on the OAT - were they from the subject tests or from the Kaplan Practice Midterm, Final, and OAT Practice Tests or both?

earlier i said many questions were representative of the kaplan exams, i meant, the kaplan OAT exam book, NOT the questions from the Mcat review book!!! go through every single question in the OAT kaplan exam book and u should hit a good number of those on the real thing.

(3) What kind of RC questions did you get - inference type or ones that had solutions that said "both true", "both false" etc...Also, what kind of passages did you get?
There is one true and both false question usually in the beginning of each reading section, and then it's a mixture of everything(not in order). just look over the questions carefulllly before you start reading that'll help alot. i got one about crocs, one on drug addiction (i almost didn't have to read the passage bc i took a class on drug addiction whew), and another on bridges (that one was hard!!!!)

(4) Did the Kaplan QR Subject Tests help you or do you think the ARCO book was better?
the arco book definitely helped the most. then came achiever, then kaplan. but review all of them anyway. the questions came in clumps, as in clumps of questions about the same subject. I was VERY surprised at how many algebra questions there were. as in, lx+3l< 5, what is x (harder of course). there were LOTS of those!!!! but yea, i can confidently say that the ARCO book helped me very much in the QR section. note, that there's only one chapter (the word problem chapter) that really did the trick, although reviewing over everything if you have time would definitely help too.

(5) What kind of Orgo questions were on there? Similar to the Kaplan practice tests?
the orgo questions were similiar to both kaplan and achiever questions, maybe a little easier but i didn't think so. i think for orgo (ochem as we call it in so cal) it'd be better to dig through the first couple chapters of your textbook for addition referance. know the names of reactions (ie, clemmensen) too.

okay this could go on forever but basically you would need to know a little of everything, but it's definitely do-able if you're motivated. i spent 4 weeks studyin' for this @#$%@# test. g'luck!

Hey, I was wondering if you guys took the official sample OAT exam. On the OAT sample exam, physics #35.

A 12-volt battery with an internal resistance of 1-ohm resistor. Which of the following is the current in ampere that flows in the ciruit.

A.4
B3
c9
d12
e48
I thought it was 12 since we can use the eqtn V=IR. 12 volts/1 ohm=12 amperes. however, the correct answer is 3. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Hey Pienfoo,

Thanks so much for the all of the feedback - I do check this forum a lot - but there are so many helpful people in the optometry forum:)

Thanks again to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was wondering if you guys took the official sample OAT exam. On the OAT sample exam, physics #35.

A 12-volt battery with an internal resistance of 1-ohm resistor. Which of the following is the current in ampere that flows in the ciruit.

A.4
B3
c9
d12
e48
I thought it was 12 since we can use the eqtn V=IR. 12 volts/1 ohm=12 amperes. however, the correct answer is 3. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

I believe it's an error. A 12-volt circuit with a resistance of 1 ohms = 12 amps flowing in the circuit. Unless the question states other resistors, if not then the answer should be 12 amps choice d.

yea, I remember that question too. I believe it was "D" and it drove me insane when I began second guessing myself. Sadly enough, I don't recall any questions on the OAT using that equation.

I improved in all sections actually... I took the test one year and 6 days ago on 1/12/06

The test was WAY easier compared to a year ago. More time to read and less questions RC. Ten less questions in the QR giving way more time per question. They had half as many word problems as last time too.

QR 360
RC 320
Biol 320
GC 340
OC 350
Phys 350
TS 350
AA 340

Solid performance so SCCO will now give me an interview :)

PHYSICS use the equation Force = Mass x Accelateration (many questions)

be able to use units to solve for a problem.

Use mgh=1/2m(V^2)

THINK POSITIVE and use the remaining time if available to rest and pump yourself for the next section. I definetly used this strategy before RC.

GOOD LUCK!

wow you did so well in physics!

im jealous :(

good luck w/ the interview!

does anyone know what happened to dawn bunch. she's so nice.

how is this new dr. monroe?

I improved in all sections actually... I took the test one year and 6 days ago on 1/12/06

The test was WAY easier compared to a year ago. More time to read and less questions RC. Ten less questions in the QR giving way more time per question. They had half as many word problems as last time too.

QR 360
RC 320
Biol 320
GC 340
OC 350
Phys 350
TS 350
AA 340

Solid performance so SCCO will now give me an interview :)

PHYSICS use the equation Force = Mass x Accelateration (many questions)

be able to use units to solve for a problem.

Use mgh=1/2m(V^2)

THINK POSITIVE and use the remaining time if available to rest and pump yourself for the next section. I definetly used this strategy before RC.

GOOD LUCK!

Hey Insomnia 23 congrats on the scores!
BTW What did you do differently this time studying for it then when u took it last year? And also did u use kaplan materials?
Thanks!