OAT Injustice. Please help.

subtractrock

subtractrock
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in a unique and rather upsetting situation, and would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has something to say about it. I'll keep this post as brief as I can, while including all relevant details.

I am a current applicant for optometry programs for Fall 2005, and took the OAT this past February. I am a graduate from Emory University and have a 4.0 in the science pre-requisites. I have spent the past year working as an optometric technician, and am positive that optometry is what I want to practice.

I took a Kaplan prep course and studied very hard for the exam beginning in November, 2004. In the weeks prior to taking the exam, I took several full length practice exams offered by Kaplan, Scholarware, and finally, the sample exam offered by the OAT administration. On these exams, I consistently scored academic averages above 360. Two days before the actual OAT, I took the sample exam found in the OAT Registration Booklet, and scored an academic average of 390.

On test day, I felt that my performance had reached it's peak, and all that I had worked so hard for was going to pay off. When I walked out of the exam, I felt that I had gotten at least a 380, and the thought crossed my mind that I might have gotten a 400. I am not trying to sound arrogant; I just studied extremely hard for this test, and was anticipating a good score in the mail this week.

Here is my score report that was sent to me, and all six schools that I applied to:

AA 220
QR 230
RC 200
Phy 220
Bio 210
GC 200
Org 210

Percentile : 1-1.7

I am devastated by this. There is not even a remote possibility that this is what I earned on the test. I know the material thoroughly, and am a strong test taker. It is also unlikely that this score is a result of my answers being shifted on the answer sheet, as several sections are on different answer sheets. In fact, I probably could have gotten a better score if I "Christmas tree'd" the exam. There is no doubt that I would have gotten the same RC and GC score above if I just put my name on the test!

I found this out at 4 PM Friday, and immediately contacted the OAT office in Chicago. They seemed fairly nice, but also acted very confident that they had not made a mistake. I remember one of the three individuals I spoke with said "you seem like a smart person, however, in my 8 years that I have worked here, I have never seen a score correction after a rescore was conducted."

I am in a tough, and undeserved position here, as the classes are close to full, and even if this does get resolved, vital time has been wasted, and irreversible damage has been done.

Does anyone know of something like this happening to someone they know, or have any reccomendations as to what avenue I should pursue here? Is legal action warranted, or am I overreacting? I feel like flying up to Chicago right now, and confronting these people about it, but that would probably be a waste of time. I have, or rather, "had" an interview at SUNY at the end of the month, and was hoping to be invited to a few others. I don't think that's going to happen now. In fact, I am going to stand out at the mailbox tonight to graciously anticipate the arrival of my rejection letters.....

I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions...Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that is very odd, I mean, by ur GPA and your efforts, it's like...VERY UNLIKELY you'll have that kind of score. Can't they check your exam? Did you do a computer one or a written one? This is rather odd occurance; unfortunately, I'm not familiar with these things. I think you should phone them again and ask them to really look into it as that's higly unlikely..

could it be ur pencil that's too light ??? (if u r writing the written one)

Katalio

Well, the person at the OAT office did admit to you that they have done rescores in the past, so I would keep harrassing them with phone calls until you get one. Your situation really sucks. Keep trying though. Otherwise, you may want to do a computerized re-write, although your first test scores will still be included in the documentation. Wish I could be more help, but short of actually going to Chicago in person, I don't know what else you can do.

Thanks for responding! I don't think the pencil was the problem. Rather, I have a strong feeling that either they have switched my scores with someone else, or they scored my exam with the wrong answer key. Either way, it totally sucks. I feel that it is extremely unlikely that this is an accurate representation of how I performed on test day. I would be so bold as to say that I am 100% certain that they have made an error.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a nightmare!!! Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this and go from there. I have never heard of anything so bizarre. Good luck!

subtractrock said:
Thanks for responding! I don't think the pencil was the problem. Rather, I have a strong feeling that either they have switched my scores with someone else, or they scored my exam with the wrong answer key. Either way, it totally sucks. I feel that it is extremely unlikely that this is an accurate representation of how I performed on test day. I would be so bold as to say that I am 100% certain that they have made an error.

I'm not completely sure, but I do recall reading about you having to pay to have a rescore done...and they will re-check it manually I believe

Yeah..totally.. fight until the end!!.. I wouldn't mind the payment I have to make if I'm 99.999 % sure that I did better than 1-1.7 percentile.

Hi subtractrock:

I’m sorry to hear about the unfortunate position you are in.

I agree with the other posters that you should stay in contact with the OAT office and make sure you follow through with the rescore request. The cost of rechecking the answer sheets is $50, but I believe it is well worth it in your circumstance. The request must be made within 30 days after the result of the written test are sent. The $50 must be payable by money order or certified check.

Another option is perhaps you can contact the Kaplan office and see if they can also contact the OAT office on your behalf. I’m not sure how much they could help but I’m sure they don’t want someone in their program scoring 360 on practice tests and then getting around 200s on the actual test.

Finally, have you considered taking the computerized OAT? Unlike the written exam, the computerized version is offered throughout the year so you can retake the exam again and you will get your scores immediately. I know the last thing you want to do right now is take the exam again but it is an option for you to consider. The only thing about retaking the OAT is that there seems to be a rule that you cannot take the OAT until 90 days after the last time you took it (either written or computerized). Registration for the computerized OAT may take up to 2 weeks to get a confirmation that allows you to make an appointment with the testing facility also. Again, I would try contacting the OAT office and see if they can give you a confirmation to take the computerized OAT under these special circumstances.

Best of luck,

Rosanna

P.S.: One more thing, perhaps you can send a short e-mail or letter to the schools you are applying to and let them know that you are currently having your OAT rescored because of a possible error and ask if they could hold off making any decisions until you received word from the OAT office that your scores have been verified to be correct?

Fight this is much as you can. I'd really like to know how this turns out.

Wow, that's crazy. There must obviously be a mistake. I took a practice OAT back in freshman or sophomore year without even taking OChem or Physics and scored better than that (and unlike you, i'm not that good of a test taker).

Did the OAT people tell you that they will do rescore or look into it? I would def. have them do it ASAP. Did they tell you how long it would take?

Also, keep your schools posted on what's going on...

Good luck to you and let us know how it all turns out.

Hello,

I'd like to thank everyone on this forum who have responded. I greatly appreciate the support and advice. I will definitely make a post when I can get some progress in this situation. Also, I realized that I mistyped my reported AA as a 220. It was actually a 210. I'd be surprised if optometry schools even see scores this low very often. Obviously, no offense meant by this to anyone who may have gotten a 210, but it seems logical that if you put "A" for every answer, you'd probably get ~20% right, which I think would be significantly higher than a 210. Pretty sad, but the fact that my score is this low, makes it fairly believeable that they might have scored it against a different key.

Definitely fight that. You are intelligent and don't worry about your score. Continue to talk to the OAT people, and also make sure you re-take the exam and have the exam rescored as needed. You will get into SUNY or anywhere you want if you keep trying - and something like this is probably not your fault. If you did faulter this badly though, don't give up.

Doesn't KAPLAN have a guarantee on their courses??

After a weekend of intense stress, and even self-doubt, today I convinced the OAT staff that it was at least a possibility that an error may have been made in the scoring of my exam. It took about an hour for them to find my exam sheet along with the test booklets, and they called me back and informed me that a mistake had been made. My exam was scored against the key for the exam offered in Fall 2004. They have rescored the exam against the correct key, and are overnighting my score to the schools I have applied to!!

Thanks for the moral support and the thoughtful suggestions. Now that I am registered with this site+forum, I will definitely offer my own advice in any situation in which I feel I might be able to offer something...

subtractrock said:
After a weekend of intense stress, and even self-doubt, today I convinced the OAT staff that it was at least a possibility that an error may have been made in the scoring of my exam. It took about an hour for them to find my exam sheet along with the test booklets, and they called me back and informed me that a mistake had been made. My exam was scored against the key for the exam offered in Fall 2004. They have rescored the exam against the correct key, and are overnighting my score to the schools I have applied to!!

Thanks for the moral support and the thoughtful suggestions. Now that I am registered with this site+forum, I will definitely offer my own advice in any situation in which I feel I might be able to offer something...
Let us know what u got after rescoring

Members don't see this ad :)
subtractrock said:

Hmmm...what do you think the chances are that you were the only unlucky soul this happened to? I doubt if someone grabbed the Fall 2004 exam key, graded your exam, then put it back and started to use the correct key when they started to grade the next person's exam.

subtractrock said:

WOW! That's incredibly great news! I'm so glad things worked out for the best. Can't wait to hear how you actually did and where you end up at.

TPMOH said:
Hmmm...what do you think the chances are that you were the only unlucky soul this happened to? I doubt if someone grabbed the Fall 2004 exam key, graded your exam, then put it back and started to use the correct key when they started to grade the next person's exam.

oat scores are computed by how you do in relation to others. if this grading mistake happened to a large group of unfortunate people, wouldn't everyone else's score be inflated?

scraders said:
oat scores are computed by how you do in relation to others. if this grading mistake happened to a large group of unfortunate people, wouldn't everyone else's score be inflated?

*shhhhhh*

congrats on getting it worked out !!!

let us know what you hear back from schools. I'm SO glad this resolved without you having to re-take the OAT !!

Thanks...I'm hoping the corrected scores will come today. I'll let you all know how they turn out.....

Hey everyone, I just got my corrected OAT in the mail when I got home tonight. I'm pretty happy b/c it's a tad higher than the 210 AA they told me I got!

AA: 380
TS: 400

I have interviews at SUNY and SCO so far. I hope to meet some of you perhaps next year in optometry school!

subtractrock said:
Hey everyone, I just got my corrected OAT in the mail when I got home tonight. I'm pretty happy b/c it's a tad higher than the 210 AA they told me I got!

I have interviews at SUNY and SCO so far. I hope to meet some of you perhaps next year in optometry school!

wow, those scores are amazing! nice job!

Congrats!!! Glad to hear that all your hard work paid off. Hopefully no one else's test got miscored too.

wow! :) congratulations...happy to hear that worked out well for you. good luck in the interview process

Unless you act like a total jackass in the interview, I think you can go anywhere you want.

subtractrock said:

Try for Berkeley. What is ur gpa?

subtractrock said:
Hello,

I am in a unique and rather upsetting situation, and would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has something to say about it. I'll keep this post as brief as I can, while including all relevant details.

I am a current applicant for optometry programs for Fall 2005, and took the OAT this past February. I am a graduate from Emory University and have a 4.0 in the science pre-requisites. I have spent the past year working as an optometric technician, and am positive that optometry is what I want to practice.

I took a Kaplan prep course and studied very hard for the exam beginning in November, 2004. In the weeks prior to taking the exam, I took several full length practice exams offered by Kaplan, Scholarware, and finally, the sample exam offered by the OAT administration. On these exams, I consistently scored academic averages above 360. Two days before the actual OAT, I took the sample exam found in the OAT Registration Booklet, and scored an academic average of 390.

On test day, I felt that my performance had reached it's peak, and all that I had worked so hard for was going to pay off. When I walked out of the exam, I felt that I had gotten at least a 380, and the thought crossed my mind that I might have gotten a 400. I am not trying to sound arrogant; I just studied extremely hard for this test, and was anticipating a good score in the mail this week.

Here is my score report that was sent to me, and all six schools that I applied to:

AA 220
QR 230
RC 200
Phy 220
Bio 210
GC 200
Org 210

Percentile : 1-1.7

I am devastated by this. There is not even a remote possibility that this is what I earned on the test. I know the material thoroughly, and am a strong test taker. It is also unlikely that this score is a result of my answers being shifted on the answer sheet, as several sections are on different answer sheets. In fact, I probably could have gotten a better score if I "Christmas tree'd" the exam. There is no doubt that I would have gotten the same RC and GC score above if I just put my name on the test!

I found this out at 4 PM Friday, and immediately contacted the OAT office in Chicago. They seemed fairly nice, but also acted very confident that they had not made a mistake. I remember one of the three individuals I spoke with said "you seem like a smart person, however, in my 8 years that I have worked here, I have never seen a score correction after a rescore was conducted."

I am in a tough, and undeserved position here, as the classes are close to full, and even if this does get resolved, vital time has been wasted, and irreversible damage has been done.

Does anyone know of something like this happening to someone they know, or have any reccomendations as to what avenue I should pursue here? Is legal action warranted, or am I overreacting? I feel like flying up to Chicago right now, and confronting these people about it, but that would probably be a waste of time. I have, or rather, "had" an interview at SUNY at the end of the month, and was hoping to be invited to a few others. I don't think that's going to happen now. In fact, I am going to stand out at the mailbox tonight to graciously anticipate the arrival of my rejection letters.....

I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions...Thanks.

Hi substractrock,

I was searching thru this forum and i ran into your story. I would like to say that this is quite an amazing story!!!! Wow, what happen to you was very unusual. jeez, if my scores came back as a 210, i would have passed out. I am happy your scores came out as fantastic as it was. I was just wondering how everything work out for you in the end? are you currently in opt school right now or still working as a optometric technican or perhaps pursuing other challenging careers?

WOW, i am so Happy for you. your scores were no 210 and i am glad u knew that and were confident enough to challenge that. :p