Oat Day!!

pre_opt_sku

2010 O.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the OAT today! It was my first (and only!) time with the test and I got a 360 TS and 360 AA. I'll post everything I remember...I got to the test 45 minutes early and they just let me start, so that was nice. The test is really easy to navigate through, so I wouldn't stress about that at all! They give you scrap paper (4 or 5 sheets). For the reading comp part, the screen splits into two, with the questions at the top and the passage at the bottom. The break is 15 minutes (or less)...your computer starts counting down, so if you don't make it back before 15 minutes, the test will start without you!! Fell free to PM me or post away with questions...the test is still fresh in my brain!! Also, I didn't use ANY prep material other than my text books and notes. I was concerned about this because most people on this forum seem to have taken a course or use review books. I used none of that...so I guess it can be done! Anyhow, good luck to any of you that have an OAT coming up!! Happy studying! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!!! Those are awesome scores! Be sure to enjoy the rest of your summer, now that you have one!

congratulations!! You and Meg seem to be the success stories. Thanks for raising the bar. :p *goes back to studying*

Members don't see this ad :)
pre_opt_sku said:
I just took the OAT today! It was my first (and only!) time with the test and I got a 360 TS and 360 AA. I'll post everything I remember...I got to the test 45 minutes early and they just let me start, so that was nice. The test is really easy to navigate through, so I wouldn't stress about that at all! They give you scrap paper (4 or 5 sheets). For the reading comp part, the screen splits into two, with the questions at the top and the passage at the bottom. The break is 15 minutes (or less)...your computer starts counting down, so if you don't make it back before 15 minutes, the test will start without you!! Fell free to PM me or post away with questions...the test is still fresh in my brain!! Also, I didn't use ANY prep material other than my text books and notes. I was concerned about this because most people on this forum seem to have taken a course or use review books. I used none of that...so I guess it can be done! Anyhow, good luck to any of you that have an OAT coming up!! Happy studying! :)

did you take the test at the kitchener, ontario test site? :rolleyes:

pre_opt_sku said:

Can you tell us the breakdown of the exam questions like how they were written and how was the verbal portion of it?

1. were the science part of the exams really detailed or just general?

Angie012 said:
Can you tell us the breakdown of the exam questions like how they were written and how was the verbal portion of it?

1. were the science part of the exams really detailed or just general?

The questions were very similar to the gray/blue booklet that you can request from the optometry admission testing program/www.opted.org. You need to call them and have the OAT guide mailed to you. If you look at the booklet, the questions are the exact same format/type. I'm not too sure what you mean by verbal portion...are you talking about the reading comp section?? If you are, I found the reading comp part to be not too hard. I didn't prepare for that section at all and I did fine. In terms of detail, I would say they go into the same detail (if not more) that you need to know for your first year bio, chem...etc.. I definitely would not say it is general though...you need to know your stuff. They do put some picky little things on it.

I just took my oat today, I got 350 TS and 350 over all...

Bio I found was harder than what was in that blue/gray booklet... The quantitative reasoning section has to be the hardest IMO, you just dont have enough time to finish it.

Reading comprehension wasnt bad at for me at all, it got a 360 in it and had enough time to check over answers.

pre_opt_sku said:
The questions were very similar to the gray/blue booklet that you can request from the optometry admission testing program/www.opted.org. You need to call them and have the OAT guide mailed to you. If you look at the booklet, the questions are the exact same format/type. I'm not too sure what you mean by verbal portion...are you talking about the reading comp section?? If you are, I found the reading comp part to be not too hard. I didn't prepare for that section at all and I did fine. In terms of detail, I would say they go into the same detail (if not more) that you need to know for your first year bio, chem...etc.. I definitely would not say it is general though...you need to know your stuff. They do put some picky little things on it.

what is the blue/gray book called?

For the reading comprehension part? what were the questions like? mostly main idea questions, detailed fact questions or circumstance questions?

Angie012 said:

For the reading comprehension part? what were the questions like? mostly main idea questions, detailed fact questions or circumstance questions?

The passages got more boring and harder as you went on, but they where all content baised. Some of them where detailed, like you have to go back and read, the first passage was like mostly main idea. It was just like your regular verbral reasoning exam...

Angie012 said:

"A more complete sample test is available in the print version of the 2005 Optometry Admission Testing Program: Application and Preparation Materials. To obtain a copy, call the Optometry Admission Testing program at 1-800-232-2159"......taken from the online OAT examinee guide

Canadian26 said:
I just took my oat today, I got 350 TS and 350 over all...

Bio I found was harder than what was in that blue/gray booklet... The quantitative reasoning section has to be the hardest IMO, you just dont have enough time to finish it.

Reading comprehension wasnt bad at for me at all, it got a 360 in it and had enough time to check over answers.

Congrats on your score!
I completely agree with you about the bio section...it was harder than I thought it would be...