OAT Biology

luvblueyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the OAT December 20. I'm scared!! :eek:

Anyways, just wondering about biology. I have been practicing with my Top Score CD and there is ALOT of quesitons on plant stuff! I have actually never taken basic biology. I only took human anatomy and physiology. The MCAT book doesn't cover any plant topics, so I wondered if anyone could recommend a "summary" book of plants, or some other useful tool I could use to a least get the general idea. I was going to go to Barnes N Noble tonight, so hopefully I will find something there!

Any info would be very appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

i used the big kaplan review book and it had a great section on plants and animals.

Ill have to disagree, I personally hated Kaplan Bio section. My kaplan instructor actually told us that the bio section in the big kaplan book was not enough for the test. I really liked Barrons AP Bio, it covers everything you need to know.

the big kaplan review book covers most of the topics you'll run into. As stated above, it doesn't cover all that you'll need to know. I would recommend you getting the Schaum's biology review book or any type of biology review book and read the following sections: photosynthesis and plant anatomy. I think those two topics are pretty important and you will most likely see questions on them. Other than that, i think the Kaplan big book (for the MCAT) does a pretty good job of condensing a large number of topics. Th kaplan PCAT covers some plant stuff while the MCAT one dosen't, so they are slightly different. g'luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied purely off of the kaplan book and got 360 for bio, so I think it's a good preparation guide. Make sure you know photosynthesis for sure, because I had about 3 Q's on it

i used the cliffs AP bio book and really liked it. it definitely covers everything you'd need to know about plants for th oat. i pretty much only studied from that and the destroyer for the bio section and scored a 390. even though the destroyer is q&a's i used it not just as a review but a study guide for the bio section because its answers are very long and explain the wrong answers as well - so it has a lot of info in it. some of it seemed kind of random to me which i almost skipped over (thank god i didnt) - because a bunch of it actually showed up on my oat -what do i know!
the bio section scared me the most because i felt like the info was endless - but the oat really wasnt that bad. the topscore and acheiver q's were much harder than what i saw on the exam -so dont worry and good luck

i used the cliffs AP bio book and really liked it. it definitely covers everything you'd need to know about plants for th oat. i pretty much only studied from that and the destroyer for the bio section and scored a 390. even though the destroyer is q&a's i used it not just as a review but a study guide for the bio section because its answers are very long and explain the wrong answers as well - so it has a lot of info in it. some of it seemed kind of random to me which i almost skipped over (thank god i didnt) - because a bunch of it actually showed up on my oat -what do i know!
the bio section scared me the most because i felt like the info was endless - but the oat really wasnt that bad. the topscore and acheiver q's were much harder than what i saw on the exam -so dont worry and good luck

I also got the Cliff's AP bio book. I read through it briefly, should have read it more thoroughly and reread it certain topics, but I still scored the lowest on that section. Didn't study as much biology as I should have.

I studied the kaplan review for plant stuff and the rest from mcat- they are pretty much similar just that mcat does not have so many things on the kingdoms and the diff struc in the annelids and arthropods and what not and defiintely not enough about plants.... so you want to get some books on that

i looked at my phgy book about the reprod system and skimmed my notes on transcription translation and a little about genetics

scored 380..... so its about practice- get those practice subjects tests from kaplan they are helpful to keep the info in and make you think fast

I studied the kaplan review for plant stuff and the rest from mcat- they are pretty much similar just that mcat does not have so many things on the kingdoms and the diff struc in the annelids and arthropods and what not and defiintely not enough about plants.... so you want to get some books on that

i looked at my phgy book about the reprod system and skimmed my notes on transcription translation and a little about genetics

scored 380..... so its about practice- get those practice subjects tests from kaplan they are helpful to keep the info in and make you think fast

Thank you everybody! :D

Where do you get the practice tests from Kaplan?? I don't know about the big blue Kaplan book everybody talks about :confused:

i also studied off of Kaplan's Bio section and did some of their practice bio section tests (5 of them) and read a few chapters from the Berkeley Review Bio sections. I got a 380 on the Bio part.. so something must of worked? =) No worries though.. Bio should be the least of it. and GOOD LUCK!

i took the OAT recently and i studied from the kaplan book but not only from the oat but also the kaplan for mcat b/c it goes through more information. I also purchased the OAT achiever..i'd strongly recommend the achiever..just b/c it gives you and idea on how the test if formatted and how to operate the computerized version. Just a suggestion.:)

Good Luck!!!