OAT biology section

drummergirl1719

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im studying for the OAT from the Kaplan OAT book , but i have a friend that just took it in June and she told me that the general chemistry and orgo section on the kaplan OAT book are actually harder then the actual test. also that the biology section is way harder on the actual test and that the physics is about the same except that on the test you get motion graphs and lots of optics which are not really covered as much on the kaplan book. if this is the case how do you think i should study for the biology section? im currently taking anatomy and phisiology and its preparing me very well for the biology section on the OAT, but im open to your advice.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Try OAT destroyer, their biology questions is similar to the real OAT questions. But everything else on the destroyer is harder than the actual OAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I just took the OAT's. Like...an hour ago. And....like you, I studied from the very big OAT Kaplan book. Yeah - The biology section in the book was not a good indicator for how the test was. (keep in mind, the test always changes, so it could be different for you). Though I did fine on that section, I was very disappointed because I studied meticulously for that section from the Kaplan book. Physics from the book was a good indicator; as was Organic; and math; and...GenChem, somewhat. For General Chemistry, I'd recommend to use your school book.

:eek:

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering how does Kaplan's material on plant/arthropod etc. biology compare to the real OAT? I never taken any plant/invertebrate zoology so I'm finding that stuff challenging, but Kaplan always gives the most brief summaries on those. I would go and search up info on specifics of those sections but I don't want to spend forever on it if the objective is not there (and it clearly isn't, but just interested on how much emphasis is actually on that stuff). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It does not got more in depth than what Kaplan covers on those subjects. I only got asked 1 question on the whole topic in general.

Kaplan's tests seem to underestimate what your actual score will be on the real thing. I am not sure if it's part of their plan to freak you out or to make you feel great about yourself to see you "improved" drastically.

I would take your Kaplan OAT score and add 30-40 points to it.

Good luck!

Kaplan's tests seem to underestimate what your actual score will be on the real thing. I am not sure if it's part of their plan to freak you out or to make you feel great about yourself to see you "improved" drastically.

I would take your Kaplan OAT score and add 30-40 points to it.

Good luck!

It doesn't help that they fib about times! My Kaplan OAT book says you have 45 minutes to do 50 QR questions, and when I couldn't finish them in that time, I was freaking out. Then I realized it's actually 45 minutes for 40 questions. My score jumped about 80 points when I timed myself that way. Maybe Kaplan does that so that you'll learn to answer them really quickly and then have more time left over on the test, but all it did to me was terrify me! :laugh:

which edition of the kaplan oat book is best to use? ... does it matter?

They are all the same. Both kaplan and the oat have not really updated their data base with more up to date information on taxonomy and things like that.

i also had access to a 2007 and 2010 book. they are identical except for a glossary at the end on the new one which is really not all that spectacular.

Did you guys read all of the sections from the big Kaplan book? I've been reading them but am getting super overwhelmed

HOW DO YOU EVEN STUDY FOR THE BIOLOGY SECTIONS?
WHAT IS A GOOD BOOK TO MEMORIZE?
I've memorized half of the biology section from the Kaplan OAT book so far ... what do you guys suggest?

HOW DO YOU EVEN STUDY FOR THE BIOLOGY SECTIONS?
WHAT IS A GOOD BOOK TO MEMORIZE?
I've memorized half of the biology section from the Kaplan OAT book so far ... what do you guys suggest?
what do you mean you memorized half of the kaplan? did you memorize the tests at the end of the chapter??