Biology 370
General Chemistry 390
Organic Chemistry 400
Reading Comprehension 400
Physics 400
Quantitative Reasoning 400
Total Science 400
Academic Average 390

Needless to say, I am elated. Here is how I studied for the exam.

I began studying a few hours a day for a month over winter break hoping I could take the exam in February, but I was not ready after a while. I primarily studied Kaplan's OAT Review Book. Then, once classes began I would study around 4 hours a week when I would be working at a library. I didn't have much time as my classes took up a lot of time and I had two part time jobs.

I realized that the Kaplan material didn't seem catered to the OAT, so I looked at the official topics covered by the OAT and went through them one by one. I think this helped quite a bit since I used many resources including Kaplan's huge book, my old textbooks and the Examkrackers MCAT books. The Examkrackers books gave great advice but the material was not all relevant. After I finished finals two weeks ago, I finished up reviewing all the topics covered and started taking practice exams. I took Kaplan's subject tests and used Topscore.

Kaplan's subject tests are much more specific than the actual OAT but I believe that they help a lot. They really show what you need to focus on and I would recommend them strongly. Do not worry if you are not doing well, as they are not a good indicator of your actual score, just what you need to work on.

Topscore was pretty useful but again more specific and harder than the OAT. My Topscore scores were around 340, so again they were not a good indication of how I was doing.

A few days before the exam, I took the old OAT exam that comes with the OAT guide. This mirrored the actual OAT best and was probably most useful. My score was a 370 on this test.

Here is what I did for each section.

Biology
This is the hardest section. I am biology major and there are a few questions on the OAT that I do not understand how anybody can know unless they remember everything from upper level courses. Two days before my OAT, I realized that this was my weakest section and I saw that somebody recommended the Campbell book, which I used for intro Biology. So the past few days, I pretty much went through the entire book figuring out almost every diagram and doing the questions at the end of the chapter. I believe if I had done this more thoroughly, it would have been more useful, but it did help. To do well on this section, know almost EVERYTHING from intro biology. A thorough understanding of each topic covered also helps to figure out questions. It really helped me that I had taken microbiology, biochemistry, and comparative physiology. Taking Human Physiology, Cell Biology, and Human Anatomy also probably would be very useful

General Chemistry
Know stochiometry and periodic trends very well. I thought that the Kaplan book was sufficient in this aspect but I also used the Examkrackers book because it teaches it much better. My old textbook was neither useful nor needed. There is not that much material covered or it least it didn't feel that way. This goes for physics as well, but know your units and be able to derive equations based off units. There are some equations and manipulations that I was not able to remember, I just figured out how to do it based on the units they gave you.

Organic Chemistry
I struggled in my organic classes but I thought that this was much simpler. The actual exam was more heavily focused towards first semester and a lot of basic questions were asked. Know everything about isomers, Substitution/Elimination Rxns, and what makes stronger acids and bases. The Kaplan book covers everything, I wouldn't focus too much on individual rxns, just know the basic mechanisms for every type of reaction. This helps figure out some questions and why things happen. It helped to look over my textbook for mechanisms.

Reading Comprehension
The questions were more straightforward than the Kaplan Subject Tests. Most questions can be found in the reading directly. I read every passage first taking my time. It helped that I found the passages interesting. I would recommend taking your time and really understanding what the passage is about. When I had to answer the questions, I knew most of them and/or could find them in the passage directly. For me, this method worked a lot better than skimming the passage, or just looking for the answers. I thought there was plenty of time to read the passage and answer each question. I also took a 5 second break between passages, which Examkrackers recommended. This helped me stay focused while reading the passage.

Physics
One thing that pissed me off about Kaplan is that they cover things like A.C. Circuits, which are not going to be the exam. The OAT guide specifically mentions only D.C. circuits. In terms of questions asked, make sure you know how to solve every type of frictionless plane question possible. Know where forces act and draw free-body diagrams. I thought this section mirrored class questions most similarly. Examkrackers Physics book was pretty useful. I have not taken mechanics for almost four years now and Examkrackers really helped a lot. Know Simple Harmonic Motion, springs, DC circuits, lenses and refraction. Kaplan covers it all but I feel like they go a little too far on some topics. This is where knowing units is really helpful.

Quantitative Reasoning
This is the section I studied for least, as math has always been my best subject. I did need to review some equations. Doing practice exams really helped. I thought that there was plenty of time for this section and I finished early, but I can see how many people don't. I think the questions calculations are easier on the actual exam. My biggest advice would be to skip questions that are long and you do not understand. You can miss many questions and still get a 400.

Although I would agree with many people who say that the test is not that hard, I don't think that means you should study for it any less. It is supposedly as important or more important than GPA so considering most people study their butts off each round of finals, people should be studying a lot for this exam. Wow, that was really long. I hope this helps people.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats for doing so well on the exam, and thank u for taking out the time to write out such an informative post. I will be taking the exam in August and hope that I could do as well. :)

Thanks for helpful info, muenster200. I take it you studied for the OAT on your own right? I'm planning to start studying soon and hopefully take the OAT at the end of summer. How do you recommend scheduling what to study (like which to study first, spend more time on, etc)? I have the Kaplan OAT Review Notes, Flashcards, and Lesson Book. Thanks!

vornskr1030 said:
Thanks for helpful info, muenster200. I take it you studied for the OAT on your own right? I'm planning to start studying soon and hopefully take the OAT at the end of summer. How do you recommend scheduling what to study (like which to study first, spend more time on, etc)? I have the Kaplan OAT Review Notes, Flashcards, and Lesson Book. Thanks!

Yeah, I studied on my own. In terms of what to study first, you should probably study the subjects that you are doing worst in or don't remember as well. For me, this was physics and general chemistry. The score that is probably hardest to improve is verbal reasoning. If you are really worried and haven't done well on standardized verbal tests, maybe spend a lot of time practicing verbal, otherwise just make sure you have a system that you are comfortable with and are performing well with. You will probably spend the most time on biology since the breadth of the material covered is so large and the subject does not just follow a few rules like the others, but rather involves more memorization. You might want to study it last, but leave the most time for it. I had the lesson book but did not use it at all. I used the flashcards sparingly. I would recommend using them to test yourself, but do not rely on them too much. Try to get topscore, oat achiever, or kaplan's subject tests/practice exams to get more exam questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've ordered Topscore, but I'd rather use that as full-length tests to simulate the real thing. What are the official titles of those "kaplan's subject tests/practice exams"? Are they specific to the OAT?

first Congratulations for the great scores, and thank you so much for sharing the information with us.. I have a couple of questions, if you dont mind...
You said :"I looked at the official topics covered by the OAT and went through them one by one" Would you please tell me where can I find the official topics covered by the OAT..
Also you mentioned that you took the Old OAT exam from the OAT guide, could you please refer me or tell me how to Obtain the OAT guide...

Thank you so much for ur help =)

muenster200 said:
I just took the OAT yesterday and here are my scores

Biology 370
General Chemistry 390
Organic Chemistry 400
Physics 400
Total Science 400
Academic Average 390

I began studying a few hours a day for a month over winter break hoping I could take the exam in February, but I was not ready after a while. I primarily studied Kaplan's OAT Review Book. Then, once classes began I would study around 4 hours a week when I would be working at a library. I didn't have much time as my classes took up a lot of time and I had two part time jobs.

I realized that the Kaplan material didn't seem catered to the OAT, so I looked at the official topics covered by the OAT and went through them one by one. I think this helped quite a bit since I used many resources including Kaplan's huge book, my old textbooks and the Examkrackers MCAT books. The Examkrackers books gave great advice but the material was not all relevant. After I finished finals two weeks ago, I finished up reviewing all the topics covered and started taking practice exams. I took Kaplan's subject tests and used Topscore.

Kaplan's subject tests are much more specific than the actual OAT but I believe that they help a lot. They really show what you need to focus on and I would recommend them strongly. Do not worry if you are not doing well, as they are not a good indicator of your actual score, just what you need to work on.

Topscore was pretty useful but again more specific and harder than the OAT. My Topscore scores were around 340, so again they were not a good indication of how I was doing.

A few days before the exam, I took the old OAT exam that comes with the OAT guide. This mirrored the actual OAT best and was probably most useful. My score was a 370 on this test.

Biology
This is the hardest section. I am biology major and there are a few questions on the OAT that I do not understand how anybody can know unless they remember everything from upper level courses. Two days before my OAT, I realized that this was my weakest section and I saw that somebody recommended the Campbell book, which I used for intro Biology. So the past few days, I pretty much went through the entire book figuring out almost every diagram and doing the questions at the end of the chapter. I believe if I had done this more thoroughly, it would have been more useful, but it did help. To do well on this section, know almost EVERYTHING from intro biology. A thorough understanding of each topic covered also helps to figure out questions. It really helped me that I had taken microbiology, biochemistry, and comparative physiology. Taking Human Physiology, Cell Biology, and Human Anatomy also probably would be very useful

General Chemistry
Know stochiometry and periodic trends very well. I thought that the Kaplan book was sufficient in this aspect but I also used the Examkrackers book because it teaches it much better. My old textbook was neither useful nor needed. There is not that much material covered or it least it didn't feel that way. This goes for physics as well, but know your units and be able to derive equations based off units. There are some equations and manipulations that I was not able to remember, I just figured out how to do it based on the units they gave you.

Organic Chemistry
I struggled in my organic classes but I thought that this was much simpler. The actual exam was more heavily focused towards first semester and a lot of basic questions were asked. Know everything about isomers, Substitution/Elimination Rxns, and what makes stronger acids and bases. The Kaplan book covers everything, I wouldn't focus too much on individual rxns, just know the basic mechanisms for every type of reaction. This helps figure out some questions and why things happen. It helped to look over my textbook for mechanisms.

Reading Comprehension
The questions were more straightforward than the Kaplan Subject Tests. Most questions can be found in the reading directly. I read every passage first taking my time. It helped that I found the passages interesting. I would recommend taking your time and really understanding what the passage is about. When I had to answer the questions, I knew most of them and/or could find them in the passage directly. For me, this method worked a lot better than skimming the passage, or just looking for the answers. I thought there was plenty of time to read the passage and answer each question. I also took a 5 second break between passages, which Examkrackers recommended. This helped me stay focused while reading the passage.

Physics
One thing that pissed me off about Kaplan is that they cover things like A.C. Circuits, which are not going to be the exam. The OAT guide specifically mentions only D.C. circuits. In terms of questions asked, make sure you know how to solve every type of frictionless plane question possible. Know where forces act and draw free-body diagrams. I thought this section mirrored class questions most similarly. Examkrackers Physics book was pretty useful. I have not taken mechanics for almost four years now and Examkrackers really helped a lot. Know Simple Harmonic Motion, springs, DC circuits, lenses and refraction. Kaplan covers it all but I feel like they go a little too far on some topics. This is where knowing units is really helpful.

Quantitative Reasoning
This is the section I studied for least, as math has always been my best subject. I did need to review some equations. Doing practice exams really helped. I thought that there was plenty of time for this section and I finished early, but I can see how many people don't. I think the questions calculations are easier on the actual exam. My biggest advice would be to skip questions that are long and you do not understand. You can miss many questions and still get a 400.

Although I would agree with many people who say that the test is not that hard, I don't think that means you should study for it any less. It is supposedly as important or more important than GPA so considering most people study their butts off each round of finals, people should be studying a lot for this exam. Wow, that was really long. I hope this helps people.

vornskr1030 said:
I've ordered Topscore, but I'd rather use that as full-length tests to simulate the real thing. What are the official titles of those "kaplan's subject tests/practice exams"? Are they specific to the OAT?

I believe that Kaplan does not sell the subject tests. You either have to sign up for the course or get them from somebody who took the course. I think the tests are specific for the OAT/DAT. I don't think they have an offical name except "Subject Test 1 Physics." If you can't find them for the OAT, try to get ones for the DAT since it covers the same material except that it has a visual section instead of physics.

tabnz said:
first Congratulations for the great scores, and thank you so much for sharing the information with us.. I have a couple of questions, if you dont mind...
You said :"I looked at the official topics covered by the OAT and went through them one by one" Would you please tell me where can I find the official topics covered by the OAT..
Also you mentioned that you took the Old OAT exam from the OAT guide, could you please refer me or tell me how to Obtain the OAT guide...

Thank you so much for ur help =)

The online OAT guide can be found at https://www.ada.org/oat/OAT_Guide.doc. To obtain a print version call 1-800-232-2159 and ask for one to be mailed to your home. This guide contains official topics covered on the OAT and a practice exam.

muenster200 said:
I just took the OAT yesterday and here are my scores

Biology 370
General Chemistry 390
Organic Chemistry 400
Physics 400
Total Science 400
Academic Average 390

Biology

General Chemistry

Organic Chemistry

Reading Comprehension

Physics

Quantitative Reasoning

wow thanks for your great advice i actually already took the oats once and did horrible so im hoping i can do a lot better next time around!

did you study each section separately? like all chem for a couple weeks... then all bio.. or did u kind of switch around like one day chem the next bio and so on..?
and how would you suggest studying for each section did you just read the review book? cause im having a really hard time because it is just so much information and my study habits for school are a little different where i tend to rewrite my notes over and over again but here i feel like its impossible to keep rewriting all the information.
and how well did you do on each of the kaplan subject test?

thankss!!

ldyswtnes said:
wow thanks for your great advice i actually already took the oats once and did horrible so im hoping i can do a lot better next time around!

did you study each section separately? like all chem for a couple weeks... then all bio.. or did u kind of switch around like one day chem the next bio and so on..?
and how would you suggest studying for each section did you just read the review book? cause im having a really hard time because it is just so much information and my study habits for school are a little different where i tend to rewrite my notes over and over again but here i feel like its impossible to keep rewriting all the information.
and how well did you do on each of the kaplan subject test?

thankss!!

I studied each section separately like all chem for quite some time. I don't think it makes that big of a difference, it is just much easier organization wise. You might end up getting bored of one subject, so if it helps you a lot, try switching.

I think it is much more helpful to do problems than to rewrite the review book many times. Rewriting the review book several times also sounds very tedious and it would take a very long time. I would probably try rewriting the book and doing the review problems at the end. If there is a concept you do not understand, then go back, review it again, and possibly rewrite it.

I don't remember my scores exactly on all of the subject tests, and the number really don't mean anything. Here is approximately how I was doing.
I was probably averaging like 28/40 for the Biology tests.
26/30 in General and Organic Chemistry.
33/40 in Physics. 44/50 in Reading Comprehenstion. I don't think I ever had enough time on the Subject Tests to finish a Quantative Reasoning test, and I remember barely getting through half of the questions on the first test.

Your scores are not important on these tests. The important thing is to go over every problem (even the ones you got right). Doing the subject tests taught me that I did not understand things like photosynthesis and simple harmonic motion well enough. I also learned to swallow my pride and skip question in the Quantative Reasoning Section on the OAT.

Good luck!

muenster200 said:
I studied each section separately like all chem for quite some time. I don't think it makes that big of a difference, it is just much easier organization wise. You might end up getting bored of one subject, so if it helps you a lot, try switching.

I think it is much more helpful to do problems than to rewrite the review book many times. Rewriting the review book several times also sounds very tedious and it would take a very long time. I would probably try rewriting the book and doing the review problems at the end. If there is a concept you do not understand, then go back, review it again, and possibly rewrite it.

I don't remember my scores exactly on all of the subject tests, and the number really don't mean anything. Here is approximately how I was doing.
I was probably averaging like 28/40 for the Biology tests.
26/30 in General and Organic Chemistry.
33/40 in Physics. 44/50 in Reading Comprehenstion. I don't think I ever had enough time on the Subject Tests to finish a Quantative Reasoning test, and I remember barely getting through half of the questions on the first test.

Your scores are not important on these tests. The important thing is to go over every problem (even the ones you got right). Doing the subject tests taught me that I did not understand things like photosynthesis and simple harmonic motion well enough. I also learned to swallow my pride and skip question in the Quantative Reasoning Section on the OAT.

Good luck!

okay thank you very much for all your help..
i'm just really worried b/c i'm only getting like 50% of the problems right when i do the subject test (without any reviewing)...

ldyswtnes said:
okay thank you very much for all your help..
i'm just really worried b/c i'm only getting like 50% of the problems right when i do the subject test (without any reviewing)...

If you were gonna take the actual OAT without reviewing, then I might be a little worried. But really, just stay positive and keep reviewing. If you understand the topics well, you will do fine.

muenster200 said:
If you were gonna take the actual OAT without reviewing, then I might be a little worried. But really, just stay positive and keep reviewing. If you understand the topics well, you will do fine.

thanks for all your help!!

wow thanks for taking your time to write all that out for us!

I also had a couple questions. I haven't taken physics yet.. i plan to this upcoming school year (i'll be a junior). But i won't be able to finish the one-year sequence until after my first quarter of my senior year. And since i'll be taking the OAT's before i start my senior year.. i was just curious how far into the one-year sequence of physics is covered on the OAT (like the topics you mentioned on your first post.. is that mainly stuff from first quarter physics?)?
Also, you said that even after missing many questions on the math part, that it's still possible to get a 400. Does that also apply to the other subjects? or is it different for each subject?

Well, thanks so much for helping us out! :)

just wanted to say congrats on getting such a magnificent score on the test. this will be my 2nd time taking the test at the end of july and i still feel that you're synopsis of what you went through with the test was accurate. thanks again for you're input

uwmissy said:
wow thanks for taking your time to write all that out for us!

I also had a couple questions. I haven't taken physics yet.. i plan to this upcoming school year (i'll be a junior). But i won't be able to finish the one-year sequence until after my first quarter of my senior year. And since i'll be taking the OAT's before i start my senior year.. i was just curious how far into the one-year sequence of physics is covered on the OAT (like the topics you mentioned on your first post.. is that mainly stuff from first quarter physics?)?
Also, you said that even after missing many questions on the math part, that it's still possible to get a 400. Does that also apply to the other subjects? or is it different for each subject?

Well, thanks so much for helping us out! :)

The OAT covers the full year for physics with probably more emphasis on 1st semester. I guess you can learn it without taking it in class-just make sure you know it and spend more time on it.

The practice OAT has a breakdown. The number of questions you can miss and still get a 400 will vary for each administered exam. For the practice test given by ASCO, you could miss questions on every exam except chemistry and still get a 400 and the quantative reasoning section was the most forgiving.