NYU Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone even know if spots are open?
i talked to one of the admissions coordinators (basically the operator on the phone) and he said "some spots have opened up" making it sound like it was just a handful. i was expecting way more (20-40) b/c that's what dr. mejia said it's historically been. anyone have an idea if the current class is just exceptionally set in place this year?

ahh wish i lived there for me to visit. But i have called coupled times and emailed. sent them a couple stuff to? what kind of questions did u ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully tomorrow we are off the waitlist! :xf:

Any updates guys? I apologize for my lack of posting on the forums. I've been swamped with final exams.

It is NYUCD graduation day. I would not expect any news today. Perhaps tomorrow

I just got the phone call from Dr. Mejia about an hour ago, hang in there guys and girls the waitlist is on the move!!! :D

Hey guys, i just called in and they just told me that there class is complete. Ugh my day been ruined :( sad

Hey guys, i just called in and they just told me that there class is complete. Ugh my day been ruined :( sad

Stay positive! I called in just now to confirm the class size, and the administrative assistant told me that the class wasn't finalized yet. I asked if he expected wait list movement throughout the summer and he said "Yes, the wait list always moves throughout the summer up until August". So don't be bummed out!! Keep showing interest, and you will surely get the admissions offer! :thumbup:

EDIT: I forgot something important he said which put my mind at ease (and hopefully all of yours too). He said that because the wait list always moves in the summer, mostly in June and July, the class roster is never final until the first day of classes at 5 PM (which is when the wait list is officially closed).

Last edited:
how are both of these true?

Incoming classes are never complete in early May. Looking back on the previous 4 years, the classes were complete at the end of August. I called twice today and both people told me that movement off the wait list will continue through August.

Members don't see this ad :)
K so they told me the class is full right now but yes, that doesn't mean people might not drop off and then there could be spots. I think the dental school is alot more competitive this year. I'm not sure what the chances are :(

K so they told me the class is full right now but yes, that doesn't mean people might not drop off and then there could be spots. I think the dental school is alot more competitive this year. I'm not sure what the chances are :(

My thoughts exactly :( stinks really bad. hopefully we get in man

yea hopefully, i mean i am still sending them a bunch of stuff over and will definitely call tmw to confirm again. people have been hearing other things so i want to confirm this.

yea hopefully, i mean i am still sending them a bunch of stuff over and will definitely call tmw to confirm again. people have been hearing other things so i want to confirm this.

Let me know what they say

So I called now and they wouldn't tell me if the class is full, only that the wait list can move from now until August..

The application cycle is still open and will be open until the first day of orientation. We have no way of determining when seats will be available or not, but as soon as something becomes available the admissions committee may go to the wait-list.

That's the email they sent me lol. It's so weird cause i swear the lady yesterday told me the class is full right now . Maybe they weren't supposed to tell me. Who knows. Best of luck to ev1!

Oh just a couple of more months..no biggie :(

So I called now and they wouldn't tell me if the class is full, only that the wait list can move from now until August..

Yup, that's what they told me yesterday as well. Stay positive everyone!

Any update? I only saw 2~3 people got off from the waitlist in this thread. I know people using this forum don't represent the whole applicants but does it make sense?

I called yesterday about wait list movement. Seems as though the adcom is waiting for academic updates as many students just completed their Spring 2012 semester. So to me, it makes sense that there's not a lot of activity right now. The summer just barely begun.

I called yesterday about wait list movement. Seems as though the adcom is waiting for academic updates as many students just completed their Spring 2012 semester. So to me, it makes sense that there's not a lot of activity right now. The summer just barely begun.
Two things don't make sense to me.

First: Yesterday was Sunday.
Second: What does academic updates have to do with the class size? As in, there's a chance Adcoms will kick people out after reviewing their academic updates? What about the deposits? I thought they were supposed to be due in April. Sorry I'm a non-traditional applicant, so not too familiar with the whole academic updates process.

Wow my bad, I must've been out school for way too long. I called on Friday, I don't know why I wrote yesterday.

For the academic updates, sometimes adcoms are on the fence about certain applicants and they want to see the progress right up to the point before the applicants hit dental school. Therefore, the adcom might be holding out on moving the wait list until they see some on-the-fence applicants either make progress or decline in terms of GPA/grades (aka they want to see the Spring semester grades from this year to see if the applicant is moving in the right direction in terms of study habits, etc). Then they will be more certain about either accepting or rejecting them. At that point, the wait list will definitely see some movement.

Since the formal deposit times are done, I think now it's a lumpsum charge of $5,000 if I'm not mistaken, to secure a seat at NYU post-April.

Hey.

I see a lot of you guys are BA/DDS. Don't you guys have like almost "guaranteed" admission into NYU's Dental School as long as you maintain your GPA requirement and get a decent DAT score?

I'm kinda confused why I see BA/DDS people in the waitlist when Dr. Tan said 95% kids matriculate in the program...

Hey.

I see a lot of you guys are BA/DDS. Don't you guys have like almost "guaranteed" admission into NYU's Dental School as long as you maintain your GPA requirement and get a decent DAT score?

I'm kinda confused why I see BA/DDS people in the waitlist when Dr. Tan said 95% kids matriculate in the program...

Well, for starters, nothing is "guaranteed". The actual term should be "preferred". The NYU Dental admissions committee holds the BA/DDS students to the same exact standards as "traditional" 4-year applicants. We are humbly nothing special. The guidelines set by NYU CAS are not what determines admission into the NYU College of Dentistry. NYU CAS guidelines simply determine how the B.A. degree will be awarded after 4 years. The GPA requirement to get the B.A. degree is different from the GPA requirement for admission after the 3rd year. Therefore, the NYU Dental adcom has every right to waitlist students in the program that they are unsure about. It's not just DAT scores and GPAs that determine admission. They also factor in what the BA/DDS applicant brings to the incoming class, how the applicant interviews, etc. Sometimes, a BA/DDS student has to repeat a course even though he/she has the "required" GPA due to program requirements and this can cause a wait list situation pending further review from the NYUCD admissions committee.

As for the 95% matriculating, it's the 95% who actually stay in the program and don't withdraw during the first 3 years that do indeed matriculate. To be more specific, matriculation in the BA/DDS program is the transition from first year of NYU dental to second year of NYU dental because the D1 grades/credits are used towards the B.A. degree from NYU CAS. The two statistics (NYUCD admission after 3rd year, and NYUCD official matriculation) are not the same thing. So the admission rate upon finishing NYU CAS might be lower than the total number of incoming BA/DDS students of a given class, but might be around 95% for the matriculation rate. Hope this clears up the confusion! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, for starters, nothing is "guaranteed". The actual term should be "preferred". The NYU Dental admissions committee holds the BA/DDS students to the same exact standards as "traditional" 4-year applicants. We are humbly nothing special. The guidelines set by NYU CAS are not what determines admission into the NYU College of Dentistry. NYU CAS guidelines simply determine how the B.A. degree will be awarded after 4 years. The GPA requirement to get the B.A. degree is different from the GPA requirement for admission after the 3rd year. Therefore, the NYU Dental adcom has every right to waitlist students in the program that they are unsure about. It's not just DAT scores and GPAs that determine admission. They also factor in what the BA/DDS applicant brings to the incoming class, how the applicant interviews, etc. Sometimes, a BA/DDS student has to repeat a course even though he/she has the "required" GPA due to program requirements and this can cause a wait list situation pending further review from the NYUCD admissions committee.

As for the 95% matriculating, it's the 95% who actually stay in the program and don't withdraw during the first 3 years that do indeed matriculate. To be more specific, matriculation in the BA/DDS program is the transition from first year of NYU dental to second year of NYU dental because the D1 grades/credits are used towards the B.A. degree from NYU CAS. The two statistics (NYUCD admission after 3rd year, and NYUCD official matriculation) are not the same thing. So the admission rate upon finishing NYU CAS might be lower than the total number of incoming BA/DDS students of a given class, but might be around 95% for the matriculation rate. Hope this clears up the confusion! :rolleyes:

I see...I PM'd you a few questions. Don't want to stray off topic here :). Good luck to everybody the waitlist! Hope y'all get in.

Well back to the matter at hand, wait list. I haven't seen any movement on any threads recently. The NYU adcom is being very quiet at the moment.

yea i have not heard anything back, i called but they tell me the same exact thing so im just kinds of done with that. i sent in my official grades and other stuff last week but i dont think it has changed much...idk what my chances are. i wish NYU would give some ranking so you know where you stand. it sucks not knowing anything about the waitlist like how many people are there and what a person chances are. they really should tell us these stuff

Just got an acceptance today!! Got an e-mail earlier this morning! Looks like the wait list is definitely moving. Hang in there everyone! Good luck to you all :)

congrats. It is comforting to see more people on this forum get off the waitlist

The best advice I can give to everyone still monitoring this forum is that expressing your interest in the school counts for a lot when NYU reviews the wait list again. I e-mailed a lot, and called about 15 times from when I received the wait list letter. I did everything to show my interest and it finally paid off. I hope you all receive good news too! I would love to meet all of you in person next year!

If you all have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I'll still be active on the Dental forums, including this wait list thread. I know when I had questions about people moving off the NYU wait list, I PMed them. I now want to do the same because talking to other people gave me renewed confidence in myself and allowed me to stay positive during a pretty stressful time. I'll try to help out in any way I can!

Thank you and congrats slyguy!! :):)

Did anyone call in recently?

I got accepted at UCSF which is my top school! I just emailed NYU this morning to officially decline my seat. So someone should be getting a call very soon!

congratz man and best of luck! i hope i get that seat :p

I got accepted at UCSF which is my top school! I just emailed NYU this morning to officially decline my seat. So someone should be getting a call very soon!

Thanks for that! congrats

congrats dude, and thank you for opening a seat for the wait-listers!

Just a heads up from a current D1-I know someone in my class who got accepted like 3 days before orientation, so don't lose hope!

I am in! Got the news while I was at work! To those who are waiting--keep your hopes up! I used Slyguy's advice and emailed and called whenever I got a chance. Show interest and you'll be good :)

congrats!! I wish you well and hope they still have a few more calls to make.

I am in! Got the news while I was at work! To those who are waiting--keep your hopes up! I used Slyguy's advice and emailed and called whenever I got a chance. Show interest and you'll be good :)

Congrats! I'm so happy for you! Good things come to those who wait. :thumbup::thumbup:

congrats!! I wish you well and hope they still have a few more calls to make.

Thanks! And remember the waitlist continuously moves until the day of orientation, so keep your head up

i love how quite this thread has gone down now lol. still emailing and calling... no news yet :( maybe there done for awhile lol