NYU Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So NYU's waitlist begins moving around April right?

Members don't see this ad.

So NYU's waitlist begins moving around April right?

Yup look at last year's NYU waitlist thread. Some people were accepted as early as April 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Mejia calls you and offers you a seat and puts you on the spot, which is good and bad at the same time. So be sure you want to go to NYU when you pick up that 212 area code phone call.

I'm sooo ready for that phone call! Been waiting way too long

I'm sooo ready for that phone call! Been waiting way too long

I feel you. Seven months is just an insane amount of time to wait for interviews and final decisions, and it just keeps going on and on.

Good luck to both of us.

I feel you. Seven months is just an insane amount of time to wait for interviews and final decisions, and it just keeps going on and on.

Good luck to both of us.

:thumbup:. Maybe we will be future classmates :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to those on the waitlist! Still waiting for a response from the 2/17 interview group :(

Good luck to those on the waitlist! Still waiting for a response from the 2/17 interview group :(

I've heard they give out responses within one or two weeks. I don't know if it's different for BA/DDS candidates. Perhaps you can consider contacting them if you don't hear anything soon?

If we get a call that we've been taken off the waitlist, how much is the deposit that we'd have to send over?

If we get a call that we've been taken off the waitlist, how much is the deposit that we'd have to send over?

For people who got accepted before January.... it was $1500 by January 6th (something like that) and then $3500 by April 2nd. I don't know if they expect you to deposit all of it at once though if you hear back after April 2nd.

Question 2: What if they call and no one's home? Do they also send an email?

Question 2: What if they call and no one's home? Do they also send an email?

I believe they leave a voicemail. Dunno if Mejia will do an email.

Interviewed on 2/13, waitlist letter came in the (snail) mail today :(

if anyone wants to share stats im sitting on this list at 3.3/3.0 22/22/20. I have no idea how they are going to rank it but am curious who else is on it.

AA: 19 TS: 19 PA: 17

GPA: 3.28 Science: 3.21

Been on the watilist since the end of January

GPA: 3.3 SCI: 3.3
AA: 21 TS: 20 PAT: 25

Are stats the final decider?

Last edited:
Interviewed on 2/13, waitlist letter came in the (snail) mail today :(
Interviewed 13th also, I got my waitlist letter today via mail. It sounds like a lot of the interviewees from feb. are getting waitlist.

Interviewed Feb 24. No love yet, email, phone or snail mail :(

3.75 sci / 3.7 overall GPA 21/21/22 DAT

Anybody from Feb24 here? Or heard more about the line moving?

Last edited:
AA: 21 TS: 22 PA: 20

GPA: 3.79 Science: 3.78

I interviewed on Feb 10th, and got waitlist letter in snail mail today. So sad :(

That sucks man. It makes sense that every school would have all their offers of admission out right now. No schools wants to be 'underfilled' with students. I guess the only thing to do is hold on hope that people will be scared away by the price...

Also: I had one other interview and the Dr interviewing me was very open. He basically said that how they look at the waitlist is to replace the person who dropped out. So say a white male rejected an invite; they would look for a white male on the waitlist. He also said they would look for a similar GPA, but I fail to see the logic behind that; wouldn't they want the same or higher GPA? Anyway... hope the list gets moving soon.

Last edited:
interviewed last week, they said their admissions committee won't be meeting for another 2 weeks so for any march interviews, dont expect to hear anything until end of march earliest. They told us they had about 15 open spots left, but they were fair game to anyone as they dont interview for the waitlist like other schools do. best of luck to us all

interviewed last week, they said their admissions committee won't be meeting for another 2 weeks so for any march interviews, dont expect to hear anything until end of march earliest. They told us they had about 15 open spots left, but they were fair game to anyone as they dont interview for the waitlist like other schools do. best of luck to us all

Do you mean only 15 spots open for the whole class?

Yup, 15 open out of their 200some class size

So they've sent out all but 15 acceptances to fill the class, but that doesn't take into account acceptances that will be turned down, right? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Thats correct. Maybe the reasoning is to keep a few spots open in case a truly outstanding candidate applies...but like people have said, waitlist moves around April. So kiss a blarney stone tomorrow and keep your fingers crossed :luck::xf:

Just wondering....how many of you guys would still choose NYU even if you have already put down a second deposit down somewhere else?

On predents.com (of course not every applicant is represented) there are 95 people that are listed as accepted. Of those 95, only 7 have indicated that they are definitely attending. If you click on some of the 95 that were accepted, many have decided to attend elsewhere. (I haven't gotten desperate enough yet to count exactly how many.)

Hopefully this is a good indication that the waitlist will move A LOT. At the least it makes me feel a little better :xf:

I would go to NY.
Also one could check out the Fb group; cant see the reasoning behind making it facebook-official if you are looking elsewhere :p

On predents.com (of course not every applicant is represented) there are 95 people that are listed as accepted. Of those 95, only 7 have indicated that they are definitely attending. If you click on some of the 95 that were accepted, many have decided to attend elsewhere. (I haven't gotten desperate enough yet to count exactly how many.)

Hopefully this is a good indication that the waitlist will move A LOT. At the least it makes me feel a little better :xf:

haha i check predents like everyday for NYU! major case of anxiety here lol

The poster who said fb was a better way to check is right. I wouldn't rely on either fb or predents (possibility of fake accounts).

The waitlist will move in April. Keep those fingers crossed :thumbup:

Should the waitlist start moving around this time?

Our second deposit was to be postmarked by yesterday, April 2nd, and it sounds like it takes awhile for them to get the check processed and added to the student account so I would agree that mid April is a good estimate as to when the waitlist should take off. Good luck you guys!

I withdrew on Friday, so somebody should be getting good news soon. :)

Anyone have any news about the waitlist? I believe it's around this time when the final deposits are due.

When I called to admissions office couple days ago, one lady in the office said they were still reviewing the waitlist. I believe they are gonna call us soon. One thing that I know is they do not give invitation letters for interviews anymore.

do you know if its a call or email?

According to last year's thread it is a call and then an email shortly after.

Also, the NYU class of 2016 Facebook group had 6 people add within the last two days...I hope that isn't a sign that the wait list has already began to move.

Also, the NYU class of 2016 Facebook group had 6 people add within the last two days...I hope that isn't a sign that the wait list has already began to move.

Why?? That's a good sign!!!

Just a little bit of info to help you guys. I'm part of the FB group and the majority of recent additions to the group have been current NYU dental students who are looking for roommates/there to give new students info on housing and other things. I sent my 2nd deposit on April 2 and they have yet to receive my check. Granted I live on the west coast, but apparently all of the mail gets processed on the main campus and then dispersed to their respective departments. Someone in admissions told me that this process can take up to 2 weeks so I'll be checking back on Friday to make sure they received my deposit. My guess is that you should be getting some good news either next week or the week after! Fingers crossed for you all!!!!!