NYU vs. Pitt vs. U of FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boundlesscorpuscle

MD Class of 2023!
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I've received acceptances at these three great schools and there's a lot to like about each of them. I was hoping to get some opinions as I start narrowing in on my final decision.

NYU

Pros
  • FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP- hard to turn down!
  • Highest rank- better if I do decide to pursue a competitive specialty
  • Clinical sites- Bellevue, especially, excites me!
  • Incredibly diverse patient population
  • 1.5 yr preclinical curriculum- as someone who is undecided on specialty, I think the extra clinical elective time would be beneficial
  • Faculty and administration seem supportive
  • Smaller class size
  • Opportunities to tailor my studies-areas of concentration, dual degree programs
  • NYC has so much to do-but will I have time/$ to enjoy it?
Cons
  • I'm intimidated by NYC; I've never lived in a city anywhere comparable in size/density, I've never really had to use public transportation, and I'm used to a lot more space
  • Cost of living- may be enough to reconsider if I get significant FinAid elsewhere
  • This is the one school where I had a less than positive student host experience, which admittedly may be biasing my view of the school
  • Weather- I am equal parts excited and terrified by the prospect of ACTUAL winter (especially with the polar vortex right now lol)
  • Maybe more of a competitive environment, despite the P/F grading

Pitt

Pros
  • Decently ranked
  • Loved my interview day, loved the energy
  • I think I might enjoy the PBL and CBL methods better than lecture
  • UPMC is itself an impressive clinical network, and for the most part it is all right there
  • Only an hour drive from family in Ohio
  • Also has opportunities to pursue areas of interest with their areas of concentration and mini-electives, which is even more expansive than NYU
  • Wasn't expecting to, but from my brief time there I really liked Pittsburgh
  • COL is cheaper and housing is nicer
  • Resources of a large university (nicest gym I've seen anywhere; maybe not as important as most things, but still a consideration)
Cons
  • Expensive! COA >$80,000/year...granted I have not received my financial aid package yet, but this would be the major barrier
  • Scholarly Project- kind of a double-edged sword; I'm not particularly interested in research so having it as a curricular requirement is a bit annoying; on the other hand, research is practically required for some residencies and this would give me the resources to complete a project
  • Weather (see above)
  • Perhaps not as competitive for residency matching?
  • Larger class size
  • More traditional curriculum-not a huge sticking point but maybe something to consider

UF

Pros
  • Best medical school in Florida
  • The Shands hospital system is pretty great and again, it's all right there
  • Beautiful new medical building
  • I really enjoyed my interview day there, and just had a good vibe from students, faculty, and administration
  • Seems like a very supportive and collaborative atmosphere
  • Great research opportunities if I want them
  • Integrated PBL, liked the way anatomy is set up too
  • Close to my immediate family- parents are about 3-4 hour drive away
  • In-state tuition and cheaper COL
  • Outdoor activities abound-including snorkeling/scuba diving
Cons
  • Least prestigious of the three
  • Gainesville-kind of a mixed bag; it's a college town with a true college town feel, and it's relatively small. However, it's close to big cities like Orlando, Daytona, and even Tampa.
  • Financial Aid-I've heard they're not the most generous with FinAid, which would be a decision in comparing to NYU
  • More traditional curriculum-2 year preclinical and heavy lecture focus
  • Required rotations in Jacksonville-also a mixed bag; good to get rotations in an urban setting, but I'd have to move there for the duration
  • Traffic and parking-have heard this can be an issue

This is really a conundrum of cost vs. location vs. fit vs. prestige, with each school having different factors in different measures. I think financial aid decisions and second look will help with my choice, but wanted to get some feedback from you helpful folks at SDN! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ask if UF can match scholarship? Personally, I'd go Pitt, but the fact that UF is even in the conversation means that you must really like it. You can't go wrong, and now that you've made me think about Florida and scuba diving, I've changed my mind :laugh:

You really can't go wrong, and regardless of choice I can tell that you'll succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask if UF can match scholarship? Personally, I'd go Pitt, but the fact that UF is even in the conversation means that you must really like it. You can't go wrong, and now that you've made me think about Florida and scuba diving, I've changed my mind :laugh:

You really can't go wrong, and regardless of choice I can tell that you'll succeed.

Thanks so much for your input! Yes, I unexpectedly loved UF but not sure if that's enough to sway the decision. Sunshine might be, haha!

Out of curiosity, what made you go for Pitt over NYU?

Thanks so much for your input! Yes, I unexpectedly loved UF but not sure if that's enough to sway the decision. Sunshine might be, haha!

Out of curiosity, what made you go for Pitt over NYU?

Rank is effectively the same between Pitt and NYU, and I value personal happiness/comfort more than other variables, so that's the lens you have to view my response through. I didn't have those choices when I was deciding between schools, but that was always first in my mind.

Plus, I know that the way to do what I want is very clear; high step 1, some publications, good clinical evals.

Although, definitely wait for financial info from Pitt and UF.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sound like you really liked Pittsburgh and a good medium between the other two options. it’s close to family and good vibes. Obviously if cost was your #1 concern then go with the lowest cost option (NYU)

If you can tell Pitt that you got into NYU ans ask for a match Pitt is the obvious choice.

If you can tell Pitt that you got into NYU ans ask for a match Pitt is the obvious choice.

I will definitely consider this, but I've heard it's more appropriate to bring up scholarship matching after, rather than before, receiveing a financial aid package. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Pitt even do merit aid? I was under the impression they only had need based grants.

I think you're right about that, actually. I had forgotten that Pitt doesn't give merit aid. However, I have heard they can be very generous with need-based aid, and I think I would qualify. Although, I'd have to receive about $50,000/year to match COA at NYU, so I'm not holding my breath there.

I don't know much but turning down NYU sounds crazy to me

Edit: Full disclosure I'm on the UF waitlist so I'm biased...but still

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know much but turning down NYU sounds crazy to me

I know it does, even I think it would be kind of crazy to turn down. I think the only way I would is if I got a substantial financial aid offer somewhere else. I guess for me the biggest barriers are my reluctance to move to NYC and the fact that I got better "vibes" at some of the other schools I interviewed at. While money and, ultimately, my future in medicine are very important factors, I also feel I need to consider my personal comfort at whichever program I choose. I'm hoping that second look will help put me at ease in this regard.

I know it does, even I think it would be kind of crazy to turn down. I think the only way I would is if I got a substantial financial aid offer somewhere else. I guess for me the biggest barriers are my reluctance to move to NYC and the fact that I got better "vibes" at some of the other schools I interviewed at. While money and, ultimately, my future in medicine are very important factors, I also feel I need to consider my personal comfort at whichever program I choose. I'm hoping that second look will help put me at ease in this regard.
Fair enough. I think that NYC is the greatest city in the country and I would love to go to school there, but if you don't want to be there then that's a huge factor!

Fair enough. I think that NYC is the greatest city in the country and I would love to go to school there, but if you don't want to be there then that's a huge factor!

Thanks. I'm really hoping to give NYC an honest-to-goodness fair shake when I go back for second look. I spent less than 24 hours there for my interview and, as I mentioned, I feel like my student host experience may have soured my views a bit. But I also think part of it is that it would be such a change from what I'm used to and I'm worried how that will affect me in addition to the stressors of medical school.

Regardless, the offer from NYU is an incredible one and definitely a top contender.

Congrats! I knew you'd get a lot of good offers :)

I think your real choice is between NYU and Pitt. If you can get Pitt to give you a comparable offer, then it's down to happiness. If not, it's down to money. Both of those schools will get you where you want to go in the future so in this particular situation you can wipe away every other consideration except for money and happiness.

Congrats! I knew you'd get a lot of good offers :)

I think your real choice is between NYU and Pitt. If you can get Pitt to give you a comparable offer, then it's down to happiness. If not, it's down to money. Both of those schools will get you where you want to go in the future so in this particular situation you can wipe away every other consideration except for money and happiness.

Thanks @curbsideconsult ! When you put it that way it really does simplify the decision-making.

I will definitely consider this, but I've heard it's more appropriate to bring up scholarship matching after, rather than before, receiveing a financial aid package. Is that true?
I really think if you call the financial aid offices for the other schools and just be like "hey I'm just trying to open up the communication and let you know I really really like you guys but NYU's offer of free tuition is def enticing and can you help me out" I'm sure they'll go out of their way to offer you the best possible package for your economic status!!

NYU! Free COA is something that should be taken seriously. I'd suggest attending second looks for NYU and Pitt either way.

NYU! Free COA is something that should be taken seriously. I'd suggest attending second looks for NYU and Pitt either way.

Thank you for your reply! Definitely, NYU's tuition-free initiative is nothing to sneeze at. But it's not full COA, so I think I would only seriously consider another program if I received a generous financial aid offer there that resulted in COA on par with NYU. I do plan on getting to second look at both NYU and Pitt and waiting on financial aid offers before making a decision.

Last edited:
Florida. You will still be getting a top level education that is cost effective and near your family.

NYU is going to be a competitive environment. I'm not sure what kind of undergrad you are coming from but that may either be an unpleasant change of pace or more of the same. The students there will overwhelmingly be trying to get into very competitive specialties. NYC is not a warm and friendly sort of place. These are all things that you need to take into account in your quality of life. I think you should wait until you get the financial aid packages. I don't think you should pay 80k a year for a different school, but if the price including cost of living aren't too different, then I think you should pick where you will be happiest. You can get any residency you want from either Pitt or UF, but you only get one life - make whatever decision will make you happiest.

Reactions: 2 users
NYU is going to be a competitive environment. I'm not sure what kind of undergrad you are coming from but that may either be an unpleasant change of pace or more of the same. The students there will overwhelmingly be trying to get into very competitive specialties. NYC is not a warm and friendly sort of place. These are all things that you need to take into account in your quality of life. I think you should wait until you get the financial aid packages. I don't think you should pay 80k a year for a different school, but if the price including cost of living aren't too different, then I think you should pick where you will be happiest. You can get any residency you want from either Pitt or UF, but you only get one life - make whatever decision will make you happiest.

Thank you, I really appreciate your perspective. My decision will definitely, in part, come down to finances, but I think it's good to keep in mind that 4 years is a long time to be somewhere I'm not really happy.

In that situation I’d go to NYU.
Especially if you can take measures to minimize COL debt.

Having a degree from a highly-ranked Med school with debt low enough to pay off in residency would put you in a really fantastic position.

In that situation I’d go to NYU.
Especially if you can take measures to minimize COL debt.

Having a degree from a highly-ranked Med school with debt low enough to pay off in residency would put you in a really fantastic position.

There's definitely no arguing that! While it's unlikely I'll get a financial aid offer that matches NYU, if I did would you still cast your vote there due to the prestige factor?

If somebody else offered you a full ride, at that point I’d go with your gut.

All three schools are amazing and won’t hold you back. You could argue that NYU might be but better, but in my opinion at that point without the financial factor I personally would go with what school I felt like I was the best fit for.

And this is TOTALLY specific to me, but medical culture wise, I’d actually take the lesser schools. I’m just not a gunner, and the egos of NY are no joke. I’ve worked with physicians from all over, and at a certain point you notice trends.

Again, that last part is entirely subjective and only based on my personal life. I’d hit Gainesville and never look back if they offered a full ride, honestly.

I think that culture/fit/personalities can really be such a huge factor in your medical school experience. Personally, I go to an UG where it feels like everyone in my pre-med classes is such a gunner and that's just not me - I do well but I don't get why my classmates freak out over a 97 vs 95 or only want to go to Stanford/Harvard sort of thing. I'd rather be around people who had hobbies or liked to hang out without always studying. I didn't really realize what people would be like when I was deciding to go to my UG. It's fine but now that I'm picking a med school, culture is definitely a big deal for me because I don't want a repeat of my UG culture. Depending on what UG you went to it may be a factor that you are very well aware of (like me because of my experiences with the gunners) or it may be something you haven't really had to experience yet and should consider.

If somebody else offered you a full ride, at that point I’d go with your gut.

All three schools are amazing and won’t hold you back. You could argue that NYU might be but better, but in my opinion at that point without the financial factor I personally would go with what school I felt like I was the best fit for.

And this is TOTALLY specific to me, but medical culture wise, I’d actually take the lesser schools. I’m just not a gunner, and the egos of NY are no joke. I’ve worked with physicians from all over, and at a certain point you notice trends.

Again, that last part is entirely subjective and only based on my personal life. I’d hit Gainesville and never look back if they offered a full ride, honestly.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint, I really do appreciate hearing what others are factoring in to their decisions.

I guess I'm just going to have to sit tight for now until I hear back about financial aid, and maybe hit up the FinAid offices at each of the schools to see what they can do about minimizing costs. However, I think I do agree with you that, finances being equal, fit/culture will be a big consideration.

I think that culture/fit/personalities can really be such a huge factor in your medical school experience. Personally, I go to an UG where it feels like everyone in my pre-med classes is such a gunner and that's just not me - I do well but I don't get why my classmates freak out over a 97 vs 95 or only want to go to Stanford/Harvard sort of thing. I'd rather be around people who had hobbies or liked to hang out without always studying. I didn't really realize what people would be like when I was deciding to go to my UG. It's fine but now that I'm picking a med school, culture is definitely a big deal for me because I don't want a repeat of my UG culture. Depending on what UG you went to it may be a factor that you are very well aware of (like me because of my experiences with the gunners) or it may be something you haven't really had to experience yet and should consider.

I went to one of my state schools for undergrad. Not one of the biggest names in the state, but definitely up-and-coming. Even as a member of the Honors College there, which seemed to be at least 60% pre-meds, I never felt that there was a "gunner" atmosphere. Of course, it's also possible that I just self-selected not to spend time with those who were gunning. I, like you, do not subscribe to that philosophy, and I can see what you're saying about assessing a school's culture as part of the decision-making process.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to get a realistic feel for what a school and its student body will be like? I obviously made first impressions on interview day, but what else can I do? I've heard that second looks are not always the best indicator of what the school is really like.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint, I really do appreciate hearing what others are factoring in to their decisions.

I guess I'm just going to have to sit tight for now until I hear back about financial aid, and maybe hit up the FinAid offices at each of the schools to see what they can do about minimizing costs. However, I think I do agree with you that, finances being equal, fit/culture will be a big consideration.

I went to one of my state schools for undergrad. Not one of the biggest names in the state, but definitely up-and-coming. Even as a member of the Honors College there, which seemed to be at least 60% pre-meds, I never felt that there was a "gunner" atmosphere. Of course, it's also possible that I just self-selected not to spend time with those who were gunning. I, like you, do not subscribe to that philosophy, and I can see what you're saying about assessing a school's culture as part of the decision-making process.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to get a realistic feel for what a school and its student body will be like? I obviously made first impressions on interview day, but what else can I do? I've heard that second looks are not always the best indicator of what the school is really like.
There’s no perfect way to do it really, but mostly I just go by feel and I try to ask the students questions that will help shed light on the culture a bit more. For ex: how much time do you spend studying vs your other hobbies and such (when they say they only study all day that’s not a good sign for me), how many of your classmates would you say you’re friends with/study with (if it’s not many then either that person is an outlier or maybe the school isn’t the friendliest), what’s one thing you don’t like about this school, what made you choose this school over others

A second piece would be to acknowledge school’s general reputations. Not that reputation are perfect, but they do shed some light. NYU is known to have a fair amount of gunners. NYC as a city is also just generally cut throat. Pitt is top tier but definitely doesn’t have as much of that reputation. I would speak to Pitt about your acceptance to NYU sooner rather than later. No point in waiting until they’ve given out their money.

There’s no perfect way to do it really, but mostly I just go by feel and I try to ask the students questions that will help shed light on the culture a bit more. For ex: how much time do you spend studying vs your other hobbies and such (when they say they only study all day that’s not a good sign for me), how many of your classmates would you say you’re friends with/study with (if it’s not many then either that person is an outlier or maybe the school isn’t the friendliest), what’s one thing you don’t like about this school, what made you choose this school over others

A second piece would be to acknowledge school’s general reputations. Not that reputation are perfect, but they do shed some light. NYU is known to have a fair amount of gunners. NYC as a city is also just generally cut throat. Pitt is top tier but definitely doesn’t have as much of that reputation. I would speak to Pitt about your acceptance to NYU sooner rather than later. No point in waiting until they’ve given out their money.

Thank you for the advice, @lalalaaaaaa !

I have had a chance to speak to a student from NYU (the student ambassadors actually matched each accepted student with a current MS1 to talk with) and asked some of the questions you proposed. They were very forthcoming with their answers. I did get the impression that the school has a more competitive atmosphere, but they implied that things are what you make them and that there are some chill people around.

I will definiitely reach out and try to speak with more students from both schools online and at Second Look, hopefully that will help!

As of right now, I'm starting to lean more towards Pitt, but unfortunately money may make the decision for me. I don't know how productive it would be to contact Pitt about financial aid seeing as they do not give merit awards. Is it really reasonable to mention my postion with NYU in the hopes of somehow receiving more need-based aid?

Well, I just got a call from NYU that's a game-changer. They've awarded me a full COA scholarship! I guess that pretty much makes my decision for me, because I doubt Pitt or UF can make a similar offer. I'll still wait on Fin Aid from the other schools, but looks like this girl's going to NYC.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and input!

Reactions: 6 users
Well, I just got a call from NYU that's a game-changer. They've awarded me a full COA scholarship! I guess that pretty much makes my decision for me, because I doubt Pitt or UF can make a similar offer. I'll still wait on Fin Aid from the other schools, but looks like this girl's going to NYC.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and input!
I got that scholarship too. Nearly impossible for any of my.other options to beat it either.

Congratulations! I know you had a really amazing cycle. Have you committed to NYU then?
Congrats! Man NYU is really pushing hard to keep up its yield! If your committing please be sure to withdraw from other schools your no longer considering :) (Hint: I hope Baylor lol)

Congrats! Man NYU is really pushing hard to keep up its yield! If your committing please be sure to withdraw from other schools your no longer considering :) (Hint: I hope Baylor lol)

Haha, thanks! And yes, I will be doing the right thing and giving other folks a chance at an amazing opportunity at other schools!

Got you fam. Already pulled out of my waitlisted schools. The three schools I have left should give results before the end of the month. If Baylor still hasn't said anything by end of month, pulling out.

So I returned from revisit weekend at NYU yesterday, and I had a blast! Everyone I met there seemed super friendly and down-to-earth, and as the weekend went on I started to feel more comfortable about being in the city. All-in-all, I am feeling much more secure in my decision to attend NYU. Just wanted to give you all an update and say thanks again for all of the advice!

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, really enjoyed second look too! Don't know if we talked at all.

Glad you had a good time as well! We may or may not have, I feel like I met sooo many people, and yet I know I didn't get a chance to talk with everyone.

Did second look help at all with your choice? I know you had been waiting on some decisions.

Glad you had a good time as well! We may or may not have, I feel like I met sooo many people, and yet I know I didn't get a chance to talk with everyone.

Did second look help at all with your choice? I know you had been waiting on some decisions.
Honestly, I think so. I was already leaning towards NYU anyways because of the scholarship. Schools came close but if I have the option of no debt vs $70-100k debt gonna choose no debt. It was just a matter of figuring out if NYC would be as overwhelming as I thought. Maybe some place will change my mind.

Reactions: 3 users
I would eliminate UF and then go with your gut in this situation.

I also would not use ranking/prestige to make this decision. NYU and Pitt are virtually identical - elite schools with top residency programs and strong track records for placing students into desired specialties. In some fields nyu would get a slight edge, but overall id recommend picking based on merits of each school and not on usnews.

You should go where you think you would be happiest. If you cant get pitt to match nyu’s offer, then nyu is the better option for the sake of $$