Pitt vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3ggsalad

Reaction score
Hi all! I am thrilled to have been admitted to two of my absolute dream schools, but it is making my decision a lot harder. I am from California but have lived on the East Coast for the past few years and have lots of friends/support in both places (though my parents are still in CA) and am leaning towards going to the East Coast for residency. I'm generally interested in academic surgery/surgical subspecialties, though not completely committed, and I am really interested in finding research opportunities in oncology or immunology.

UCSD
Pros
- Way less expensive (~30k less than Pitt)
- Much more diverse community
- Near family/beautiful location
- Flexibility for exploration for extracurriculars/hobbies
- Grad student housing is beautiful
- Overall students seemed a lot happier/less stressed, literally everyone talked about how much they travelled and how much fun they had? Almost feels too good to be true

Cons
- Graded clinicals with quotas on Honors/High Pass/Pass (1/3 of the class receives honors, 1/3 high pass, etc), but this structure may change
- Higher cost of living
- More traditional "lecture style" classes
- Not as robust of a hospital system compared to UPMC and older facilities
- Less opportunities to do the research I am interested in and no protected time for research

Pitt
Pros
- Interest in surgical specialties/academia
- Flipped classroom for hands-on learning opportunities
- Lower cost of living and transportation (I love walkable cities)
- Research built into curriculum and more opportunities for interesting research + funding in general
- Flex weeks end of blocks for extracurricular exploration
- Newer facilities/technology
- No quotas on grades during clinicals (students say that most people receive Honors/High Pass grades)
- Slightly more prestige ? Not a big deal to me but some people say that this will matter more with P/F STEP exams and being well-prepared for residency would be nice

Cons
- Extremely high CoA, though my aid package may change
- Required in-person attendance
- Students seemed much more stressed

I absolutely loved both schools during Second Look and met incredible people both places, so I am deeply struggling to make this decision

Members don't see this ad.

You lost me at required attendance and having to live in Pittsburgh lol. Not sure where your friends and social life is on the East Coast but unless it’s specifically in Pittsburgh then it’s not a real factor. Pittsburgh is pretty isolated from the rest of society living on the East Coast.

The quotas thing at UCSD seem like they suck but I personally would choose the much cheaper tuition, optional attendance, and living in San Diego over the con of quotas.

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who lived in pittsburgh for 4 years i would take San Diego any day of the week 😂😂