NYU vs Hopkins vs UCSF vs Stanford vs Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes, somewhere on reddit someone said that hopkins went P/F for clinicals during COVID and the student body all obviously wants to keep it (if HMS and UCSF do it and do well in match, no reason why Hopkins can't). but as far as i understand it's up to some academic committee who's voting on it, so there is no guarantee it will happen. and i don't know when that vote is occurring. maybe talk to some med students at JHU about it.
Oh damn...I had no idea about this.

I'll definitely be reaching out to med students and asking about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Tbh, if you want nsgy, you need to gun anyway. So don’t worry too much about p/f. You need to pump out a ton of research so maybe p/f clinicals can give you more time to be a data monkey lol. I am not sure about NYU’s department and who’s who there. You need to join a high output lab from the get go if nsgy is what you want. Hopkins and SF have several labs like that.
Oh...interesting...

Do you think starting research over the summer before med school would be a good move?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...interesting...

Do you think starting research over the summer before med school would be a good move?
Well, once you decide where to go. Yeah. It takes some leg work and then you have to get to know how the team works.. but it’s a must to be able to match in nsgy, especially if you are gunning for Hopkins, UCSF or Barrows. You need to pump out a sh’tload lol.

You need to pump out a ton of research so maybe p/f clinicals can give you more time to be a data monkey lol.
yea i think the big part is that P/F just gives you more free time to pump out research during preclin years lol. i also personally like P/F clinical because some people complain that getting honors in clinicals is kinda random/based on how much the attending likes you/hard to control, and i don't really like spending time trying to suck up to attendings to get a good grade. it would be kind of annoying to not honor a surgery rotation when ur gunning for nsgy just because you got unlucky and they didnt like your personality for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
yea i think the big part is that P/F just gives you more free time to pump out research during preclin years lol. i also personally like P/F clinical because some people complain that getting honors in clinicals is kinda random/based on how much the attending likes you/hard to control, and i don't really like spending time trying to suck up to attendings to get a good grade. it would be kind of annoying to not honor a surgery rotation when ur gunning for nsgy just because you got unlucky and they didnt like your personality for some reason.
Agreed. Basically clinical grades are the only wildcard that can prevent you from matching competitive specialties. As long as you put in good work, you will pump out research and you will ace Step 2. Almost all guaranteed. But honoring surgery lol? No one can guarantee that. Do you want your future to be determined by some random attending or worse some random resident?! I assume OP is a gunner because of interest in nsgy. So I would care about my career more than where I would go hang out with friends after class as a determining factor for where to go to school.

Well, once you decide where to go. Yeah. It takes some leg work and then you have to get to know how the team works.. but it’s a must to be able to match in nsgy, especially if you are gunning for Hopkins, UCSF or Barrows. You need to pump out a sh’tload lol.
Do you think it's doable for someone with not a lot of significant research experience to get started with clinical nsgy related research?

UCSF has entered the chat...(well maybe this week after the financial aid award)

Yeah one thing I suck at doing is sucking up to professors. Never went to office hours or anything (didn't even go to class really)

The needle is shifting again. Mangowolf please continue (please stop, na actually please continue) bringing up these points.

Do you think it's doable for someone with not a lot of significant research experience to get started with clinical nsgy related research?
It’s all chart review…. You won’t do anything prospective as a med student and it’s so low yield anyway. Basically you just fill out a giant spreadsheet from reading patient charts and then as a data monkey, you pump out some charts and statistics. Then you hope they will use them in whatever article they will publish so your name is on it. You do need to pump out probably 2 first authorship papers and that means the attendings have to like you to give you those opportunities. Hopkins and UCSF are known to be overflown with research opportunities in nsgy. NYU?! I have the vaguest idea.

Agreed. Basically clinical grades are the only wildcard that can prevent you from matching competitive specialties. As long as you put in good work, you will pump out research and you will ace Step 2. Almost all guaranteed. But honoring surgery lol? No one can guarantee that. Do you want your future to be determined by some random attending or worse some random resident?! I assume OP is a gunner because of interest in nsgy. So I would care about my career more than where I would go hang out with friends after class as a determining factor for where to go to school.

"So I would care about my career more than where I would go hang out with friends after class as a determining factor for where to go to school."
This is a cold but true statement I think.

NYC is fun but is a little bit of fun / comfort worth it relative to the long term?

"So I would care about my career more than where I would go hang out with friends after class as a determining factor for where to go to school."
This is a cold but true statement I think.

NYC is fun but is a little bit of fun / comfort worth it relative to the long term?
Are you gonna be happy matching at a mid tier nsgy program? Are you really gunning for UCSF, Hopkins and Barrows? If the answer is yes to the second question, forget about NYU.

It’s all chart review…. You won’t do anything prospective as a med student and it’s so low yield anyway. Basically you just fill out a giant spreadsheet from reading patient charts and then as a data monkey, you pump out some charts and statistics. Then you hope they will use them in whatever article they will publish so your name is on it. You do need to pump out probably 2 first authorship papers and that means the attendings have to like you to give you those opportunities. Hopkins and UCSF are known to be overflown with research opportunities in nsgy. NYU?! I have the vaguest idea.
Hm, ok. I know that I could learn how to do that with enough training / experience.

Speaking with a Hopkins alum, they did say that the NSGY department is highly supportive in students thinking about matching in neurosurgery...

+1 Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, ok. I know that I could learn how to do that with enough training / experience.

Speaking with a Hopkins alum, they did say that the NSGY department is highly supportive in students thinking about matching in neurosurgery...

+1 Hopkins
Yes. Very much so.

UCSF has entered the chat...(well maybe this week after the financial aid award)

Yeah one thing I suck at doing is sucking up to professors. Never went to office hours or anything (didn't even go to class really)

The needle is shifting again. Mangowolf please continue (please stop, na actually please continue) bringing up these points.
hahah, of course. i actually made the decision to eliminate NYU already despite getting way less aid than you did from its peer schools like Hopkins/UCSF. i am not a huge fan of NY though/don't have east coast ties so that probably helped. however, i will say that i am an extremely risk averse person and essentially narrowed down my schools by figuring out which place would be the least riskiest/most likely to get me into a competitive specialty with the easiest means possible that would maximize my mental health and happiness. for me UCSF and Hopkins easily won over NYU because of the prestige boost & the curriculum differences. yes it's more expensive BUT if matching neurosurg would be much easier and slightly more likely at UCSF than NYU, i'd argue it is possibly worth that price tag difference (what's the price tag of failing to match nsgy and dropping to IM if you dual apply?). now, for you, there is the added concern of your family being in NYU. for me, support system is important and i know i am more likely to succeed and do well in school if i have people there. for you, you will have to figure out which is more likely to help you succeed. is it having family nearby or is it having P/F preclin+clinicals? NYU is on one end, UCSF is on the other, and Hopkins is somewhere in the middle. And if you get really lucky with Hopkins maybe you get both.

Are you gonna be happy matching at a mid tier nsgy program? Are you really gunning for UCSF, Hopkins and Barrows? If the answer is yes to the second question, forget about NYU.
Ok ok ok, lets put on the breaks.

Are you saying NYU has a mid tier NSGY program?

I think I want to stay in NYC long term potentially...

Ok ok ok, lets put on the breaks.

Are you saying NYU has a mid tier NSGY program?

I think I want to stay in NYC long term potentially...
Let’s not argue about what is top and what is mid tier. You will get that right away when you start med school and research. I just assumed that you wanted to go to the best programs, since everyone who wants to do nsgy as I know is obsessed with that. You might be the exception.

• Hmm
hahah, of course. i actually made the decision to eliminate NYU already despite getting way less aid than you did from its peer schools like Hopkins/UCSF. i am not a huge fan of NY though/don't have east coast ties so that probably helped. however, i will say that i am an extremely risk averse person and essentially narrowed down my schools by figuring out which place would be the least riskiest/most likely to get me into a competitive specialty with the easiest means possible that would maximize my mental health and happiness. for me UCSF and Hopkins easily won over NYU because of the prestige boost & the curriculum differences. yes it's more expensive BUT if matching neurosurg would be much easier and slightly more likely at UCSF than NYU, i'd argue it is possibly worth that price tag difference (what's the price tag of failing to match nsgy and dropping to IM if you dual apply?). now, for you, there is the added concern of your family being in NYU. for me, support system is important and i know i am more likely to succeed and do well in school if i have people there. for you, you will have to figure out which is more likely to help you succeed. is it having family nearby or is it having P/F preclin+clinicals? NYU is on one end, UCSF is on the other, and Hopkins is somewhere in the middle. And if you get really lucky with Hopkins maybe you get both.
Yeah...

I keep telling myself this - delayed gratification. NYC will still be here. If I were to go to Hopkins I might have an easier time matching to a competitive specialty here in NYC...

Okay UCSF needs to let me know soon please.

+1 for Hopkins. +1 for UCSF.

However, is it truly more likely to match NSGY from Hopkins / UCSF relative to NYU!?

Yeah...

I keep telling myself this - delayed gratification. NYC will still be here. If I were to go to Hopkins I might have an easier time matching to a competitive specialty here in NYC...

However, is it truly more likely to match NSGY from Hopkins / UCSF relative to NYU!?
More likely to match at top programs. If you want any nsgy program, NYU is fine. Nsgy programs are super inbred at the very top. Incestuous… who your mentor is makes a huge difference in nsgy.

Yeah...

It’s hard to say. You will probably match to Nsgy at both knowing how successful you’ve been thus far. But maybe if you go to ucsf you get a handful more interviews than you do if you went to nyu, and you have a little more certainty going into match day. Maybe your match list is composed of all the top nsgy programs if you go to ucsf whereas at nyu you don’t get an interview from every single program you wanted. For what it’s worth I spoke to ucsf students who recently matched ultra competitive specialties (plastics, ortho, derm) and several of them said they received every single interview invite they wanted at every residency program they wanted. Does that difference matter to you? Is it worth it? I don’t know, because I’m not you, but it’s worth considering. I think ultimately that is the difference between schools like HMS/Hopkins and still amazing but not god tier schools like NYU or Sinai. You’ll probably end up where you want to be anyways. But the path there may be very different and filled with more uncertainty/anxiety.

More likely to match at top programs. If you want any nsgy program, NYU is fine. Nsgy programs are super inbred at the very top. Incestuous… who your mentor is makes a huge difference in nsgy.
"NYU is fine"

That was cold.

Yeah I definitely have been able to read / hear about this inbred culture at many programs. Damn...

It’s hard to say. You will probably match to Nsgy at both knowing how successful you’ve been thus far. But maybe if you go to ucsf you get a handful more interviews than you do if you went to nyu, and you have a little more certainty going into match day. Maybe your match list is composed of all the top nsgy programs if you go to ucsf whereas at nyu you don’t get an interview from every single program you wanted. For what it’s worth I spoke to ucsf students who recently matched ultra competitive specialties (plastics, ortho, derm) and several of them said they received every single interview invite they wanted at every residency program they wanted. Does that difference matter to you? Is it worth it? I don’t know, because I’m not you, but it’s worth considering. I think ultimately that is the difference between schools like HMS/Hopkins and still amazing but not god tier schools like NYU or Sinai. You’ll probably end up where you want to be anyways. But the path there may be very different and filled with more uncertainty/anxiety.
Again, it’s because of who works here. Heavy hitters who always go out of their way to look after med students… it’s truly amazing. I got two first author papers as a first year in a very competitive speciality because the department chairs asked around for opportunités on my behalf.

"several of them said they received every single interview invite they wanted at every residency program they wanted."

This is significant....
Did they have significant research? did they take a research year? If you don't want to share for privacy, totally understandable.

I like minimizing anxiety whenever possible..

Again, it’s because of who works here. Heavy hitters who always go out of their way to look after med students… it’s truly amazing. I got two first author papers as a first year in a very competitive speciality because the department chairs asked around for opportunités on my behalf.
Woah..

How'd you go on about starting that relationship? initiating this sort of responsibility?

"several of them said they received every single interview invite they wanted at every residency program they wanted."

This is significant....
Did they have significant research? did they take a research year? If you don't want to share for privacy, totally understandable.

You don’t need to take research year at UCSF to get significant number of research done. Actually, the average number of first authorship papers for people who matched in competitive fields is one! UCSF name is amazing among the PD circuit. You get almost every interview you want. Tbh, the only other schools that enjoy this kind of rep among pd’s are Hopkins and HMS. The fact that most UCSF students want to stay on the west coast makes people who want to match east coast kind of sought after commodities. Most people will match at Harvard, Columbia, Penn and Cornell programs on the east coast. I don’t know anyone who ended up at NYU lol.

This is significant....

Yes they were certainly great applicants. One took research year, other didn’t but both very productive and all around great students, great board scores. They were definitely stars at UCSF. But I don’t know if they’d have the same outcomes if they went to somewhere else but were the exact same student, yknow?

Yes they were certainly great applicants. One took research year, other didn’t but both very productive and all around great students, great board scores. They were definitely stars at UCSF. But I don’t know if they’d have the same outcomes if they went to somewhere else but were the exact same student, yknow?
I just want to rephrase this a bit. Everyone at UCSF can choose to be a star.

I just want to rephrase this a bit. Everyone at UCSF can choose to be a star.
True, lots of students at UCSF don’t even care to match nsgy and prefer primary care and therefore do not have to gun for research or letters the way others are forced to. One might argue that this creates reduced competition for those specialties at ucsf compared to peer schools w less of a primary care focus? I don’t know.

True, lots of students at UCSF don’t even care to match nsgy and prefer primary care and therefore do not have to gun for research or letters the way others are forced to. One might argue that this creates reduced competition for those specialties at ucsf compared to peer schools w less of a primary care focus? I don’t know.
Stress is always there if you want something competitive. But I think it’s quite a bit less than at other places, especially we are pf clinical, no AOA, and no mentioning of anything ranking in MSPE, starting last year they did away with adjectives in MSPE. Basically everyone out of UCSF is identical in terms of school performance when it comes to residency application.

You don’t need to take research year at UCSF to get significant number of research done. Actually, the average number of first authorship papers for people who matched in competitive fields is one! UCSF name is amazing among the PD circuit. You get almost every interview you want. Tbh, the only other schools that enjoy this kind of rep among pd’s are Hopkins and HMS. The fact that most UCSF students want to stay on the west coast makes people who want to match east coast kind of sought after commodities. Most people will match at Harvard, Columbia, Penn and Cornell programs on the east coast. I don’t know anyone who ended up at NYU lol.
Oh jeez I never thought about it that way. If most people want to stay on the west coast....it would be easier to match east coast as I wouldn't be "competing" with too many of my classmates.

+5 for UCSF.....

Oh jeez another good point,

if a lot of students are looking to go into primary care...this may make the matching into competitive specialties even more easier. I would argue easier than Hopkins even....

Yeo....UCSF...wait a minute....

Oh jeez I never thought about it that way. If most people want to stay on the west coast....it would be easier to match east coast as I wouldn't be "competing" with too many of my classmates.

+5 for UCSF.....
Not to exaggerate, but I am inking myself for either a Harvard or Columbia program if I choose to go back to the East coast.

Stress is always there if you want something competitive. But I think it’s quite a bit less than at other places, especially we are pf clinical, no AOA, and no mentioning of anything ranking in MSPE, starting last year they did away with adjectives in MSPE. Basically everyone out of UCSF is identical in terms of school performance when it comes to residency application.
3 straight good points for UCSF....

even my mentor has told me that it'd be hard to turn down UCSF if it were at the same cost as the other schools..

God damn...here we go again.

3 straight good points for UCSF....

even my mentor has told me that it'd be hard to turn down UCSF if it were at the same cost as the other schools..

God damn...here we go again.
My mentors (one at Penn, one at HMS and one at Columbia/NYU) basically handcuffed me to UCSF lol. I never thought I would have the luck here to begin with. Well. It was hard to turn down Hopkins too. But all the people I talked to were like what UCSF?! You must go there.

My mentors (one at Penn, one at HMS and one at Columbia/NYU) basically handcuffed me to UCSF lol. I never thought I would have the luck here to begin with. Well. It was hard to turn down Hopkins too.
Oh jeez....

if UCSF comes out with good aid you would then say UCSF > Hopkins > NYU

Oh jeez....

if UCSF comes out with good aid you would then say UCSF > Hopkins > NYU
Baltimore is too rough for me. It looks like UCSF is stepping up a lot with aid now. I would say UCSF >= Hopkins > NYU. Just because SF is a lot nicer than Baltimore. I would rule out NYU at this point because you want nsgy, period. I would hate to start with any handicap. NSGY is a hard hard road to travel down, and you need every bit of advantage you can get.. Here are full of gods in almost every field. NSGY here is reserved for gods only. I entertained the idea but I don’t want to make the sacrifice. I am weak lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
wait a minute, wait a minute, has there been talks of this happening?
Yea, the curriculum committee is currently going over it and getting students inputs, weighing the pros and cons etc. Based on the med students I interact with they are leaning towards implementing the P/F change.

Most students support it, and the fact that other top schools are changing to P/F JHU is moving towards P/F. No one is quite certain though, so don't get at mad at me if it doesn't happen.

What? Are you saying HMS/Hopkins are a tier below NYU/Sinai?

Tbh, if you want nsgy, you need to gun anyway. So don’t worry too much about p/f. You need to pump out a ton of research so maybe p/f clinicals can give you more time to be a data monkey lol. I am not sure about NYU’s department and who’s who there. You need to join a high output lab from the get go if nsgy is what you want. Hopkins and SF have several labs like that.
I strongly disagree with this. When trying to match to a competitive specialty everything matters. The good along with the bad. So if you get a mean preceptor on a surgery rotation who gives you a "pass" when there is a tiered system your now at a disadvantage. If a curriculum is P/F this aspect is removed ( Since your coming from an elite school, Residency directors are more likely to assume your a good student)

At a P/F school.. Step 2 scores and Research Matters... You got into this school so I assume your a good standardized test taker. Research is research... the more free time you have ( instead of trying to stay in clinic an extra hour to get honors) you can spend grinding out more pubs.

True P/F is a game changer

Yea, the curriculum committee is currently going over it and getting students inputs, weighing the pros and cons etc. Based on the med students I interact with they are leaning towards implementing the P/F change.

Most students support it, and the fact that other top schools are changing to P/F JHU is moving towards P/F. No one is quite certain though, so don't get at mad at me if it doesn't happen.
Woah....this is a game changer. I'm gonna be asking about this for sure.

I strongly disagree with this. When trying to match to a competitive specialty everything matters. The good along with the bad. So if you get a mean preceptor on a surgery rotation who gives you a "pass" when there is a tiered system your now at a disadvantage. If a curriculum is P/F this aspect is removed ( Since your coming from an elite school, Residency directors are more likely to assume your a good student)

At a P/F school.. Step 2 scores and Research Matters... You got into this school so I assume your a good standardized test taker. Research is research... the more free time you have ( instead of trying to stay in clinic an extra hour to get honors) you can spend grinding out more pubs.

Sheesh it does seem to be a game changer....

God damn, the needle is now shifting to UCSF more and more....

Well. Yeah you would want p/f if that’s available to you. I didn’t want to sell OP too hard on UCSF, though clearly it is the right choice given all the parameters and what OP wants to achieve.

Last edited:
Aight OP...

If UCSF gives you somewhat comparable aid to Hopkins go there
If not.. Go Hopkins- they probably going P/F... Unless they pull an NYU I can't see why not

You can be competitive from any school. PDs can see through prestige / clout chasers.

Every time I see sirachamayonnaise’s name pop up a negative statement undoubtedly follows. I’m sure you are a competent individual with the potential to be a great physician, but perhaps work on your bedside manner if you want to keep patients at your future practice. Work on that EQ rather than debating UCSF versus Stanford.

You can be competitive from any school. PDs can see through prestige / clout chasers.

Every time I see sirachamayonnaise’s name pop up a negative statement undoubtedly follows. I’m sure you are a competent individual with the potential to be a great physician, but perhaps work on your bedside manner if you want to keep patients at your future practice. Work on that EQ rather than debating UCSF versus Stanford.
Of course you can be competitive from any school. But why not positioning yourself best if you have the option? PD’s at top places are so enamored with prestige… for the record, it’s UCSF vs NYU. No need to resort to personal attack when you disagree with what I said.

Last edited:
Aight OP...

If UCSF gives you somewhat comparable aid to Hopkins go there
If not.. Go Hopkins- they probably going P/F... Unless they pull an NYU I can't see why not
God damn....

NYU for reals might be out, Jesus.
OK, Im going to Baltimore soon - if I enjoy it there, I'll go Hopkins.
I'll try to fly out to SF...

what if I hate both Baltimore and SF though

Jeez.

am I started to get blurred vision with all this prestige talk...?