NYU secondary: Academic Fluctuations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherer1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question, just wanted other people's opinions. NYU asks to explain any academic fluctuations if applicable. My GPA is solid and my MCAT chem/phys and bio portions are 97th percentile but my psych/soc is 65th percentile :( should I try to explain this? I was scoring 85th percentile consistently on the 15 practice exams I took (for psych/soc), I have no idea why I bombed it on the actual MCAT and I was scared of getting lower science section scores so i didn't retake the MCAT. Is this something I should try to explain? I don't really have an explanation for it, but I'm worried if I don't mention it, they'll think I thought my psych/soc score was fine. my overall MCAT was 514

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from NYU this past year and also served on the adcom for a year... if it was any other section, i would perhaps consider addressing it, but psych/soc is new and we didn't care THAT much about it... the overall mcat score is a little on the lower end for nyu though... definitely a reach... i would not address the psych score as it will sound defensive and you do not really have an excuse for bombing it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from NYU this past year and also served on the adcom for a year... if it was any other section, i would perhaps consider addressing it, but psych/soc is new and we didn't care THAT much about it... the overall mcat score is a little on the lower end for nyu though... definitely a reach... i would not address the psych score as it will sound defensive and you do not really have an excuse for bombing it
I see, thank you so much! and yeah it's super reach school for me, I just wanted to try to see if i could get in anyways, but I doubt I will. thanks for the feedback!

On the lower end???? My brother got rejected with a 519 3.98 GPA 400 ECs and 200 Shadowing hours.

EDIT: Two Publications as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question, just wanted other people's opinions. NYU asks to explain any academic fluctuations if applicable. My GPA is solid and my MCAT chem/phys and bio portions are 97th percentile but my psych/soc is 65th percentile :( should I try to explain this? I was scoring 85th percentile consistently on the 15 practice exams I took (for psych/soc), I have no idea why I bombed it on the actual MCAT and I was scared of getting lower science section scores so i didn't retake the MCAT. Is this something I should try to explain? I don't really have an explanation for it, but I'm worried if I don't mention it, they'll think I thought my psych/soc score was fine. my overall MCAT was 514

I wouldn't even submit this secondary if I were you. NYU is out of your league. NYU is all about the numbers, the free tuition and the downsizing of the class size will make this school more competitive than Harvard. If you don't have at least a 518, call it quits....

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't even submit this secondary if I were you. NYU is out of your league. NYU is all about the numbers, the free tuition and the downsizing of the class size will make this school more competitive than Harvard. If you don't have at least a 518, call it quits....

Sad, but true.

Reactions: 3 users
When did this happen??

EDIT: OP, even before the annocuement of NYU's tuition deal, I would never have recommended them to someone with a 514. In fcat, al the Manhattan Titans are out of reach. Go with Einstein, Hofstra and the SUNYs if you're NYer. Also add Case, Emory, Dartmouth, Keck, Jefferson, Western MI, Pitt, and BU

When did this happen??

EDIT: OP, even before the annocuement of NYU's tuition deal, I would never have recommended them to someone with a 514. In fcat, al the Manhattan Titans are out of reach. Go with Einstein, Hofstra and the SUNYs if you're NYer. Also add Case, Emory, Dartmouth, Keck, Jefferson, Western MI, Pitt, and BU

Dean Rivera told this to students during interview season.

NYU's 10th percentile acceptance range is a 513 (according to MSAR but even NYU's own website says their range of matriculants was 504-527) what can I say I'm a dreamer :p Joke's aside, I don't expect to get an interview, but it's a dream school and I didn't want to not take the shot. But thank you all for the feedback! It's much appreciated :) I applied to a lot more schools that are in my range, so hopefully one of those will let me in. Can't wait until I'm actually in medical school.

NYU's 10th percentile acceptance range is a 513 (according to MSAR but even NYU's own website says their range of matriculants was 504-527) what can I say I'm a dreamer :p Joke's aside, I don't expect to get an interview, but it's a dream school and I didn't want to not take the shot. But thank you all for the feedback! It's much appreciated :) I applied to a lot more schools that are in my range, so hopefully one of those will let me in. Can't wait until I'm actually in medical school.
They don't need the donation. Take your mom out to dinner instead.

Reactions: 1 user