NYU dental students how do you like your school? If you had the chance to do it all over would you still go to NYU Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted762988

I am currently accepted to both NYU and Touro and I am trying to decide where to go. Leaning towards Touro but I received a 25k/year scholarship at NYU.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go wherever is cheaper for tuition. I’m an NYU student. I have no other schools to compare it to but for the amount we pay I feel I’m being robbed LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Not NYU but similar in cost/prestige, I got in to Colombia but chose to go to the Univeristy of Texas in Houston cause I get in state there so it is nearly 1/2 the cost. Colombia’s COA was 125k a year and UT’s was roughly 69-70. While I’m sure Colombia is a great school, I feel like I’m getting a very similar education here. I feel like it really is what you make of it. Everyone has to pass their boards regardless of school, and if you do not plan on specializing, that pretty much set’s the baseline for how compenten a school must teach you to be. A baseline which is already pretty damn high.

If you want to go above and beyond and specialize, that is pretty much determined by how hard you want to work. It’s really a numbers game, everyone’s smart, who wants to put in the most study hours determines class rank to some sense imo. Yes some schools place more people in OMS or whatever making them sound good, part of me feels like they just attract more people already dead set on some specialty though. And these people believe their school choice will have a large impact on their residency match. I feel like anyone wanting to go into the hyper competitive specalties is going to have to put in a lot of effort regardless of school. That’s just my two cents though

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could go back in time, I would not attend NYU. Administration and faculty here does not care about you. I'm not sure about other schools, but NYU has no tolerance for "failure", and they will not hesitate to dismiss you if you fail just a single class whether it be 1 credit or 10 credit. Curriculum has changed, and so has the clinics. You will be paired up in D3+D4 year. When you're a D3, you are basically an assistant, your experience will be dictated by your D4. I highly suggest you to stay away from NYU.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
If I could go back in time, I would not attend NYU. Administration and faculty here does not care about you. I'm not sure about other schools, but NYU has no tolerance for "failure", and they will not hesitate to dismiss you if you fail just a single class whether it be 1 credit or 10 credit. Curriculum has changed, and so has the clinics. You will be paired up in D3+D4 year. When you're a D3, you are basically an assistant, your experience will be dictated by your D4. I highly suggest you to stay away from NYU.
Dismissing a student over failing a single 1-credit class seems very extreme. Do they not allow students to remediate?

Dismissing a student over failing a single 1-credit class seems very extreme. Do they not allow students to remediate?
Yes, remediation is allowed if your grade is between 60-70 (anything under 60, not eligible for remediation). However, it depends on the class. There are classes that don't offer remediation, and it's up to the academic affairs committee to decide whether you have to repeat the year or get dismissed.

Reactions: 1 user
2016 grad. Loved my experience. Best years of my life so far. But for the numbers I'm hearing now for tuition, I wouldn't apply with a 10 ft pole.

Always choose the cheapest school. People dont realize how much of their income is stolen by taxes and student loans until its too late. If you want to be a dentist and basically make hygenist income for the next decade go to a school that costs 400k+. In dental school when youre not actively paying back loans its easy to forget that student loans is money that you have to pay back with high interest.

Dental school is not a time to have fun (although you will have many fun times). It is a time for you to get a degree for a great career. No matter what school you go to youll make friends and have a good time and will also struggle in many ways but its worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
Always choose the cheapest school. People dont realize how much of their income is stolen by taxes and student loans until its too late. If you want to be a dentist and basically make hygenist income for the next decade go to a school that costs 400k+. In dental school when youre not actively paying back loans its easy to forget that student loans is money that you have to pay back with high interest.

Dental school is not a time to have fun (although you will have many fun times). It is a time for you to get a degree for a great career. No matter what school you go to youll make friends and have a good time and will also struggle in many ways but its worth it.
Hygienist income? Bro, I’m not even making assistant income yet.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2016 grad. Loved my experience. Best years of my life so far. But for the numbers I'm hearing now for tuition, I wouldn't apply with a 10 ft pole.
So jealous that you say that. I got accepted to Touro but decided to go to detroit mercy. Biggest regret of my life so far, don’t feel supported and feeling like I’m in the slums… already a D3 so no going back. Hate it here and wish I could have gone to Touro everyday

So jealous that you say that. I got accepted to Touro but decided to go to detroit mercy. Biggest regret of my life so far, don’t feel supported and feeling like I’m in the slums… already a D3 so no going back. Hate it here and wish I could have gone to Touro everyday
Everyone feels like that during dental school. Dental school sucks.

If I may ask, why do you hate it at detroit mercy? Feel free to DM me. Thanks!

Everyone feels like that during dental school. Dental school sucks.
Seriously. What makes people think that if they had gone to another school that they would live a woe-free life with supportive administration? For all you know, that second school could have been even worse off for you than your current one.

It's like when I was serving, and I would discuss with others what other duty station I could have served at. I would be like "yeah, I'm here at X duty station, but I could have gone to Y duty station when I was selecting orders."

"Oh don't you regret coming to X instead of Y?" they would inevitably ask me.

"No, what makes you think at Y that I would have been any better off? I'd probably hate the same things as I do here at X and complain all day there too."

Take it one day at a time, and more importantly, STOP looking at the past and thinking that the other school you could have gone to would have solved all your stresses today. It wouldn't have. Even if it could have, nothing you can do about it now. So work with what you got and make the best of it.

Reactions: 5 users
Let me explain: At my school there is shortage of faculty who don't respect the students and give us hard time with passing our competencies. There are even still D5's lurking around just because they weren't able to finish their requirements on time to graduate! Everything here is old, we still use PSP plates instead of digital x-rays which take literally a whole appointment to do. Our school is heavily emphasizing perio and so although many students are proficient in scaling/root planning we dont get many operatory stuff done outside of fillings since patients are medically complex or cannot afford treatment. We come out of school only doing 1/2 endo rct since a lot of cases are referred to the graduate departments. We also have a lady in charge of axiom who literally looks at every code put in the system and god forbid we don’t put in the right code we are deducted 1% off our total grade every time! Detroit also isn't a great place to live in....

At Touro, through various students I heard the faculty are more supportive. They implement all modern digital technology into their clinic. Everything runs more efficient. And unlike us, third and fourth years are pass/fail and faculty dont care if all codes aren’t put in where/when they are supposed to be. Everybody graduates on time and they get more requirements than we do since they dont have graduate departments. Where I will be mostly assisting my partner this year as a D3, a friend of mine there already did crown preps and filling at the start of his D3. Touro is in a much better area than Detroit and students dont have as much pressure as we do.

Having said all this, I do agree with what you said about not looking back. It's honestly hard for me to do so when I am depressed and get mad at myself for having so many options of what I could have done and picked the worst one there is...

• Care
  • Sad
Don't go to NYUCD. The school treats you like sh!et. There are too many old white people running that place who were born into old money and who worked during those decades when dentistry reimbursed ridiculously high. Their superiority complex is high. These old farts and the dentists of their generation committed fraud upon fraud such, ruining the profession for the subsequent generations. These clowns wouldn't even make it in today's job market. Those arseholes at NYUCD are full of it.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't go to NYUCD. The school treats you like sh!et. There are too many old white people running that place who were born into old money and who worked during those decades when dentistry reimbursed ridiculously high. Their superiority complex is high. These old farts and the dentists of their generation committed fraud upon fraud such, ruining the profession for the subsequent generations. These clowns wouldn't even make it in today's job market. Those arseholes at NYUCD are full of it.
lol.

I take it that you wished you had attended a different DS. Interestingly .... I would have guessed that NYU would have greater diversity than these "old white people" you mention.

As long as I can remember ..... dental schools have been short on supply when it comes to academic/clinic instructors. Most are older, disabled or retired.

Oh. Stop the older generation bashing.

Reactions: 2 users
“Old white people” it sounds like you are harboring ill feelings towards a specific age and race of people.

Let me explain: At my school there is shortage of faculty who don't respect the students and give us hard time with passing our competencies. There are even still D5's lurking around just because they weren't able to finish their requirements on time to graduate! Everything here is old, we still use PSP plates instead of digital x-rays which take literally a whole appointment to do. Our school is heavily emphasizing perio and so although many students are proficient in scaling/root planning we dont get many operatory stuff done outside of fillings since patients are medically complex or cannot afford treatment. We come out of school only doing 1/2 endo rct since a lot of cases are referred to the graduate departments. We also have a lady in charge of axiom who literally looks at every code put in the system and god forbid we don’t put in the right code we are deducted 1% off our total grade every time! Detroit also isn't a great place to live in....

At Touro, through various students I heard the faculty are more supportive. They implement all modern digital technology into their clinic. Everything runs more efficient. And unlike us, third and fourth years are pass/fail and faculty dont care if all codes aren’t put in where/when they are supposed to be. Everybody graduates on time and they get more requirements than we do since they dont have graduate departments. Where I will be mostly assisting my partner this year as a D3, a friend of mine there already did crown preps and filling at the start of his D3. Touro is in a much better area than Detroit and students dont have as much pressure as we do.

Having said all this, I do agree with what you said about not looking back. It's honestly hard for me to do so when I am depressed and get mad at myself for having so many options of what I could have done and picked the worst one there is...
So what do you have to say this @Ivy.ch @Chief's Pineapple ? What should I do in this case?

Pretty sure it's like this at many dental schools

So what do you have to say this @Ivy.ch @Chief's Pineapple ? What should I do in this case?
The above description sounds like it could be from any dental school.

You thought dental school would be fun? WRONG! You thought they would teach you a bunch in dental school? WRONG AGAIN! The school is there to churn out dentists with half a brain, keep the pay checks of all the administrators coming, and avoid lawsuits.

Dental school will probably be the worst four years of your life. You’ll have the best friends of your life there, you’ll grow and mature into a better person, you’ll have some of your proudest moments - but it will be four years of suck.

Some people just pay way more for it. I don’t know what Stockholm Syndrome exactly is, but I think it applies to these expensive private dental schools.

Sure. Dental school sucks, but some are better than others. I attended a nice, small dental school in a midwest college football town. The vibe there was great. Instructors, attendings all good. I cannot complain about my 4 years of dental school.

As a matter of reference. My ortho residency in a hospital setting was harder and more stressful than my 4 years of dental school. 4 residents. No where to hide lol. You were a "doctor" now and had to act like one.

Nothing. You're past the halfway point, right? You've been handed a not-so-great card (although from what I've seen on these boards, most if not all dental schools can be like this). I would reiterate my advice: grit your teeth and do it one day at a time. Don't look at it as "OMG it's so long until I graduate FML", no, do it like "okay, this week I have this (things to do for school, what to study, stuff like that), and today I'm gonna focus on this one aspect, because that's a higher priority" and so on. That arbitrary set date in the future for your graduation, you cannot control or change that; what you CAN change is what you do day by day, week by week.

You've done your prerequisites, you've done two years of school already, and you're gonna do two more. You suffered through the first two, but nonetheless you got past those years. You will be able to do that again for the last two years. It ain't gonna be easy or fun but you will get through it.

It may be depressing dealing with your school, but you're not alone in feeling this way, methinks. Use this experience as a positive driver to motivate you to get good CE for after you finish. You've got old-school X-ray equipment? Now you'll appreciate your digital stuff in your future practice even more. You know, stuff like that.

I will leave you with this: you can't change your school so easily, but what you can change is your mentality. Does this mean you have to suffer and just suck it up? No, but what you can do is try to twist all the BS you deal with and see what positives you can gleam from it. What you can learn from them. I gave an example with the X-ray equipment above.

Semper Gumby (Always Flexible), my friend.

Reactions: 3 users