NYS January Part III Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow Students and Pharmacists,

Did anyone recently take the January NY compounding exam? I took it at SJU but I went to pharmacy school out of state so I didn't have a bunch of friends to talk to about the exam. It was a stressful ordeal for all of us. Now all we can do is wait for that envelope. If you're reading this, I hope you passed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know the feeling...I took it at LIU and am also from an out of state school. The IV calculations was the part I'm most uncertain about...may or may not have messed it up completely haha. Hoping for the best, but if not, there's always next time. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got the letter in the mail today. Passed with a 75. Happy enough and thankful that it's over.

Reactions: 1 users
The NYS Pharmacy Part III Compounding Exam is the biggest SCAM. The New York State Board of Pharmacy should be fined heavily for keeping this prehistoric exam in the 21st century that mandates a "requirement to pass" to become a licensed pharmacist. A pointless and worthless two day exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already spent over $400 on two of the wet lab exams and also took the "recommended" LIU class for no reason. I guess it's on to the next state for me. Bye bye New York

My grand total for getting licensed in NY was $2,034. with $675 of that just on Part III registrations, Part III challenge session fees, and Part III prep.

Last edited:
This exam was not difficult at all. I do not know what you people were doing or how you prepared but I got a 96 with no issues. IV was easy for anyone who knew how to do basic concentration calculations.

This exam was not difficult at all. I do not know what you people were doing or how you prepared but I got a 96 with no issues. IV was easy for anyone who knew how to do basic concentration calculations.

You seem like you're going to make a compassionate pharmacist who won't patronize patients and coworkers at all.

Best of luck to the rest of you, pass or fail.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone would like to share materials? I am thinking to take in June. Please advise how to prepare.

The IV question was very tough and threw me off completely. I spent so much time on that portion that I fell behind on the other compounds. I practiced simple IV problems only so I suggest practicing multiple IV infusion problems to make sure you are well prepared.

Question for the January exam takers: how did you determine how much volume of 0.9% NaCl should be added to the IV bag, considering there was no 30% NaCl solution? I screwed up pretty bad and have no idea what mistakes I made.

The IV question was very tough and threw me off completely. I spent so much time on that portion that I fell behind on the other compounds. I practiced simple IV problems only so I suggest practicing multiple IV infusion problems to make sure you are well prepared.

Question for the January exam takers: how did you determine how much volume of 0.9% NaCl should be added to the IV bag, considering there was no 30% NaCl solution? I screwed up pretty bad and have no idea what mistakes I made.

We had 2 different NaCl concentrations and the exam specified which one to use to make a solution

I know the feeling...I took it at LIU and am also from an out of state school. The IV calculations was the part I'm most uncertain about...may or may not have messed it up completely haha. Hoping for the best, but if not, there's always next time. Best of luck!

I am out of state as well and want to prepare for it, do you have any suggestions or tips?