This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zosyn4.5

Reaction score
Sooo is it considered a fatal error if you overdose patient in IV compounding?
Majority of students made same mistake and I think like 80% of people overdosed the patient...

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully it shouldn't be. since its an antibiotic.. Luckily I got the right dose but goofed on some other question.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I made a stupid mistake in addition to over dosing the patient, after I assembled my needle and syringe, I realized that I didn’t open my vial caps and swab them. So I put down my syringe with the the cap still on horizontally so airflow is not blocked and the hub not blocked and I completed the compounding. I’ve been freaking out since it happened thinking I should’ve just grabbed the other syringe that I had. Does any one know if that’s considered a fatal flaw.

Also the zosyn dosing was just mean, like how were we supposed to know that with all the stress, I thought it was weird because of the /.5 but I just ignored it and went about my day ‍♀️

I made a stupid mistake in addition to over dosing the patient, after I assembled my needle and syringe, I realized that I didn’t open my vial caps and swab them. So I put down my syringe with the the cap still on horizontally so airflow is not blocked and the hub not blocked and I completed the compounding. I’ve been freaking out since it happened thinking I should’ve just grabbed the other syringe that I had. Does any one know if that’s considered a fatal flaw.

Also the zosyn dosing was just mean, like how were we supposed to know that with all the stress, I thought it was weird because of the /.5 but I just ignored it and went about my day ‍♀

I thought you could put down the syringe?? I did IV compounding rotation and they did that all the time!!

Anybody know if you loose points by not putting answers in d designated boxes after calculations?
I had d answers but forgot to put one or two in the boxes

Does anyone know the answer to the BUD question regarding Zosyn being prepared in a BSC that is not ISO 7?
12 hours according to USP 797.
the BSC is ISO Class 5, the Compounding area is separated from non-compounding area, but does not have a separate anteroom/ located in ISO 7 and is a low-risk sterile prodoct (like zosyn) can be given 12 hours

Sooo is it considered a fatal error if you overdose patient in IV compounding?
Majority of students made same mistake and I think like 80% of people overdosed the patient...

Scores are out -- made this mistake plus a few others and passed with a 90!

@deeceepharm did you take yours this week? I think it is points off if your label is in the hood.

Does anyone know if you always need a filter needle? I took mine and I asked one of the proctors where the filter needles were and he said he “guess there wasn’t any to just use what was there.” Like wth! I didn’t see any but I thought it was required before putting in the bag. In school I learned it wasn’t but Dr. Cutie’s demonstration showed we needed one. I’ve been freaking out ever since because I explicitly asked. The regular needles that were there were also super long that they had to be pulled out to get all the liquid.

Also does anyone know if it’s required to switch syringes or be specific? Like for example I used a 10 ml needle to get 7.5 ml but there was no line for .5. I kind of just went in the middle. I’m not sure if I was supposed to use 2 5-ml strings and draw up 5 in one and 2.5 in the other.