NYS compounding exam June 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sahi85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
On the IV label, in the additives section I forgot to write the drug name. Initially i had a doubt if have to write the amount of the drug injected into the bag or the concentration of the drug in the bag. So i left it to deal with it later and i completely forgot about it at the end. Is that considered a fatal flaw or do they just deduct points for the label..

I am confident that all my calculations and IV compounding technique were right...

Any insight onto this is truly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You weren't supposed to add the volume of the additive solution to the IV bag. It usually tells you on the exam final volume of the IV preparation is that of the volume of the mini bag used.
it It just hit me... What if you didnt put "by mouth" on the label? Because the compounding prescription didnt have the route. :-(

Is that point deduction. Like everyone else... I'm so anxious.

it It just hit me... What if you didnt put "by mouth" on the label? Because the compounding prescription didnt have the route. :-(

Is that point deduction. Like everyone else... I'm so anxious.

Pretty sure you don't need by mouth.

• Specify the route of administration if the medication is not intended for oral use.
    e.g. Insert one suppository vaginally every night at bedtime.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think with route of administration you don't lose points but with MDD you might. The compounding exam follows NYS law. The law for prescription labels are to have (must) patients name, date, RX #, drug name strength, directions for use, pharmacy name and address, and doctors name. Anything else is not required by law. For controls it's whatever I listed plus pharmacy telephone number and MDD

I'm just gonna take this time to express how much I hate this test. I've re-lived the mistakes I made during the test and it's really discouraging to the point where I'm assuming I failed already. /endrant
I've same feelings,, too hard to wait o_O

Does anyone know how much percent error we have with IV portion of the compounding exam is it 5% or 10%. We were supposed t inject 12.5 mls with either drug so was wondering if anyone knew how much less or more we could inject before it's considered fatal error?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much percent error we have with IV portion of the compounding exam is it 5% or 10%. We were supposed t inject 12.5 mls with either drug so was wondering if anyone knew how much less or more we could inject before it's considered fatal error?
Could have sworn it was 12 mL, but it was a while ago now I can't recall lol...

Reactions: 1 users
Since I'm a psycho I called castle. Grades were mailed out yesterday. So results should be arriving by Friday the latest.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone checked the Opnysed website?
They have updated the results on the site .

Have you seen the results on the site?

I called the OPSED of NY today and they said they are still waiting on my NAPLEX results once that comes in then I shall have my license by next week. I am assuming I passed the exam then. I took my NAPLEX on July 19th it takes about 1 week for them to send the results to the state board and another week for them to update the OPSED website. I asked two workers if I passed they said yes for LAW and COMPOUDING but they didn't tell me the grade.

I called the OPSED of NY today and they said they are still waiting on my NAPLEX results once that comes in then I shall have my license by next week. I am assuming I passed the exam then. I took my NAPLEX on July 19th it takes about 1 week for them to send the results to the state board and another week for them to update the OPSED website. I asked two workers if I passed they said yes for LAW and COMPOUDING but they didn't tell me the grade.

My license went up today ^_^ I passed guys!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an 81 :)...I guess you do have a 5% window when it comes to the solution used to inject into the bag and then the part where I touched my face probably cost me 2-3 points. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

For those who could'nt make it this time, i know how it feels coz i've been through the same feeling in January.. I believe one has to be very lucky to pass it in first attempt as you get a very narrow margin of error.. Its highly recommended to go for a review if eligible for that because you get to see how they grade different parts of the exam and what they expect from you in your responses.

Reactions: 3 users
Could someone please help me??
I've still not received my result in the mail. Is there anyone with the same situation ?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what goes on a compounding label backtag? I know it's a basic question but I've never worked retail so I only know some of what should go on there. Thanks in advance!

Hi all. I just took my compounding exam and I was so nervous I didn’t realize my powder wasn’t fully reconstituted until AFTER I left the IV hood :( any insight on if I will lose all 20 points from the IV portion?