NYS compounding exam June 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sahi85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
On the IV label, in the additives section I forgot to write the drug name. Initially i had a doubt if have to write the amount of the drug injected into the bag or the concentration of the drug in the bag. So i left it to deal with it later and i completely forgot about it at the end. Is that considered a fatal flaw or do they just deduct points for the label..

I am confident that all my calculations and IV compounding technique were right...

Any insight onto this is truly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Sahi

This is a 3 point deduction as long as everything else on the label is right.

Good Luck

Hello expired pharmacist:

What if during the examantion you accidentally touched your face slightly? Is that a fatal error or if the proctor saw is that points off from the IV preparation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sahi

This is a 3 point deduction as long as everything else on the label is right.

Good Luck
Hello, I have a question. On the exam, I places all the ingredients (inactive + active) on the labels. I know its not a fetal flaw but is this also a 3 point deduction?

Hello, I have a question. On the exam, I places all the ingredients (inactive + active) on the labels. I know its not a fetal flaw but is this also a 3 point deduction?

That is not a fatal flaw. You could have put active or inactive ingridrients doesn't matter. It won't cost you any points

No problem. Hopefully you pass. Does anyone know if touching the face constitutes fatal error is it just a few points off?

No problem. Hopefully you pass. Does anyone know if touching the face constitutes fatal error is it just a few points off?
The way we were taught in the review class was that if you sneeze or touch your face(nose or mouth) it is considered as a fatal flaw.. But that was just a class room instruction... I am not sure if proctor considers that way or not..

Good luck.

I didn't touch my mouth or nose. I accidentally touched my hair but I don't know if the proctor was looking or not. So you think I should be alright ?

I didn't touch my mouth or nose. I accidentally touched my hair but I don't know if the proctor was looking or not. So you think I should be alright ?

Aww man, maybe the proctor is nice and overlooks it. I was told that if your hand leaves the hood (unless you are done) or if you sneeze in the hood its a fetal flaw. Just pray that the proctor overlooked it.

Do you guys know how many points off it is if you forget to cancel a prescription?
what do you mean by cancel a prescription? Is it in the written part of the exam or in the lab part of the exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
The lab part. We're supposed to cancel out the prescription after we compound it apparently.

Do you mean endorse the prescription? If that is what you mean, I know you are suppose to endorse each prescription by writing your first inital, last name, the Rx # and the date on each script. If that is missing, I dont know how many points it would be but its not a fatal flaw.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so for the IV label I did not put the RX number, the storage conditions, nor my intials. I also did not cancel the prescription. How many points would I lose? Also for the solution product I put Suspension on the label by accident. Dont know what I was thinking, will that constitute a fatal error. Also they had asked in the directions to put everything where intials or signature is needed to write in format of first intital and last name. However I canceled it as intials for the capsules and signature for the control solution. Any help would be appreciated. Panicking !

Last edited:
Hey guys, so for the IV label I did not put the RX number, the storage conditions, nor my intials. I also did not cancel the prescription. How many points would I lose? Also for the solution product I put Suspension on the label by accident. Dont know what I was thinking, will that constitute a fatal error. Also they had asked in the directions to put everything where intials or signature is needed to write in format of first intital and last name. However I canceled it as intials for the capsules and signature for the control solution. Any help would be appreciated. Panicking !

For the IV label I don't think there was any space for the RX number and name. As for the storage conditions you had either a choice of room temperature or refrigeration (same expiration time of 24 hours). If you left it at room temperature or refrigeration you are supposed to right room temperature or refrigeration somewhere on the label but if you don't I don't know how many points they will take off. Sometimes they let it slide sometimes they don't. But that is not a fatal error at most they will take off is 3 points but that's if they are very picky. As for you signing your name for the control I don't think it's a big deal I think they would let it slide because your name is still there. However for you putting suspension instead of solution they will take off 3 points. Label mistakes are generally deemed 3 points off. This is what I was taught. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
For the IV label I don't think there was any space for the RX number and name. As for the storage conditions you had either a choice of room temperature or refrigeration (same expiration time of 24 hours). If you left it at room temperature or refrigeration you are supposed to right room temperature or refrigeration somewhere on the label but if you don't I don't know how many points they will take off. Sometimes they let it slide sometimes they don't. But that is not a fatal error at most they will take off is 3 points but that's if they are very picky. As for you signing your name for the control I don't think it's a big deal I think they would let it slide because your name is still there. However for you putting suspension instead of solution they will take off 3 points. Label mistakes are generally deemed 3 points off. This is what I was taught. Hope this helps.
In the review class I took and throughout pharm school they the Professors never told us to write storage conditions. I only heard about storage conditions through cuties review notes.

In the review class I took and throughout pharm school they the Professors never told us to write storage conditions. I only heard about storage conditions through cuties review notes.

I don't think it will cost you points any points but I am not sure. During the review (I got it from cutie directly) he never told us not putting a storage condition will cost any points but he did emphasize to put it because technically they can tack you for the points because it's important information. But like I said it wouldn't be more then 3 points

Sometimes they let it slide, sometimes they dont. Just pray whoever is grading have mercy (which is my prayer at the moment)... In January one of my friends said he didnt put any storage conditions and he was fine, no points off. Another guy didnt put any storage conditions and they took points off but it wasnt a fetal flaw.... Which makes me believe different ppl will be grading the papers....Maybe one more nicer or tired and didnt catch the error. I was told by someone that puttjng the active& inactive might or might not be points off...at most 3 points (which i cant afford to lose) depending on what they think. So my prayer is 75+ at this point.

Hello,

For the IV question, I totally didn't see that it said to assume it was compounded at 9 am. I put the time I actually made the bag and the expiration to be 24 hours from that time. Would that be considered a fatal flaw?

Also, if there are minor calculation errors, is that also considered a fatal flaw?

Thanks

Last edited:
I actually put tablets instead of capsules on the label for my January 2017 exam and they took off 1 point for hat.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how many points if you get a calculation error? Say if you underdose one of the active ingredients on a tablet by 15%?

Hello expired pharmacist:

What if during the examantion you accidentally touched your face slightly? Is that a fatal error or if the proctor saw is that points off from the IV preparation?
Minimal deduction, the only fatal mistake in the hood, if you bleed .. stick yourself with the needle

Minimal deduction, the only fatal mistake in the hood, if you bleed .. stick yourself with the needle

Thank you so much :) expired pharmacist... and yes if you underdose one ingredient from the capsule it is automatic 10 points off. It happened to me once before as well. They usually give you a range for the weights of the product and it has be within 10% of the weight.

Last edited:
I would say the exam was medium difficulty. Day 1 had a lot of tricks and some errors and omissions could have gone either way. Day 2 the trickiest problem was the solution question which told you to take a stock solution and use that to make a different final solution. IV had multiple infusions as all the questions besides one and it wasn't so bad.

Thank you - I heard day 1, you had to d/c ace due to angioedema not sure what the other two rx were? just curious to know

I think I missed up by not including the volume of the added solution to the IV because the test didn't really explicitly say anything regarding it. Does this mess up all the answers to my calculations?

I think I missed up by not including the volume of the added solution to the IV because the test didn't really explicitly say anything regarding it. Does this mess up all the answers to my calculations?

You weren't supposed to add the volume of the additive solution to the IV bag. It usually tells you on the exam final volume of the IV preparation is that of the volume of the mini bag used.

Last edited:
Anyone got their results today? I didnt get mine. I thought they would come during the first week of july.

This is horsesh*t, its been a whole month. I can barely focus on preparing for my NAPLEX cause all I am worried about is the results of this test. I can't think of another exam like this that is by mail results only, as if this test isn't annoying enough you have to wait for mailed results, it's bonkers to me how this is still allowed.

Reactions: 4 users
This is horsesh*t, its been a whole month. I can barely focus on preparing for my NAPLEX cause all I am worried about is the results of this test. I can't think of another exam like this that is by mail results only, as if this test isn't annoying enough you have to wait for mailed results, it's bonkers to me how this is still allowed.
We all know how you feel... It really sucks. The wait is a killer. I've been watching the mailman all week.. and even he's tired of me waiting so I can stop watching him. (Just kidding) lol. But we all can relate.. :-(

Reactions: 1 users