Program-Specific Info / Q's NYIT OT 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to the program this afternoon and I am so excited!!!
I was wondering if anyone else has been accepted or if any alumni have any tips/suggestions on how to prepare for graduate school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my application the first week of September!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I have an interview in two weeks what did they ask you?! Im so nervous for this interview

What are your stats if you dont mind, I plan to apply there as well

I also got accepted recently! This is my first time applying to programs so I'm definitely happy. Ideally I would like to wait to hear from other programs so I'm still not sure if I would accept the offer or not haha

Congratulations!!! When did you interview?
This is also my first year applying, but I don’t want to risk not getting into any other schools and having to repeat the process again next year. :/

Thanks! Congrats to you too! My interview was September 26th......This is my thought exactly! It's too bad we only have a couple of weeks to decide haha

I interviewed sept 26th too!! I wonder how many they accepted from that interview group! I know right, as of right now this is where I’ll be attending lol

Awesome! I like the program and could see myself attending but I'm from the west coast and am not sure if it would be worth the move.

I just got accepted also!! Do any of you know how long the program is exactly? There isnt an updated curriculum on their website.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! :) Are you going to accept the offer?
I think they said it was a 3 year program, where the last year would be just the two 12-week fieldworks, but I'm not 100% sure!

I'm still deciding, I think i'm definitely going to put the deposit down but I'm not sure if I'll end up there since its a pretty expensive program

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I'm also just going to put the deposit down and if I get accepted anywhere else I'll withdraw haha. It seems like a great program though, but like you said it's quite expensive.

Hey guys, I went for the interview for NYIT on 10/24/17 and got accepted on 10/27/17. I am still deciding if I want to give in the deposit because the tuition cost is pretty expensive and most of the other schools I applied for aren't doing interviews yet. I might just end up sending in the deposit for now to secure the seat but ultimately still deciding. :dead:

Congratulations!! I know, the tuition cost is the only thing that concerns me. I will send in the deposit though, just to be safe!

Hi everyone! I'm interviewing next week for NYIT OT school and am having a hard time finding any info about the interview format...does anyone know anything specific about their interview process or what the "on-site essay" has been previous years?
Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm interviewing next week for NYIT OT school and am having a hard time finding any info about the interview format...does anyone know anything specific about their interview process or what the "on-site essay" has been previous years?
Thanks!
Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply - submit your application?

I got accepted to the program too. Gave my interview on 24th, got accepted on 27th. so relieved can finally call myself a future OT

Thanks!
Two professors gave a presentation on the program, we were then asked to write an on site essay, which I'm not sure if it changes every time. While we wrote our essays, we were called individually and interviewed by two different professors. Good luck!!!

Congratulations!! Maybe we will be classmates!! :)
YES!!! Also I'm not from New york. Do you know places around NYIT which is cheap? Or like the website that I should look on?
Also do they give scholarships? I remember in the interview they mentioned about it.

Grrr to NYIT for sending out early interviews/acceptances and asking for a $1500 (is it still that much??) non-refundable deposit. Not to mention the tuition cost. I played their game last year and while I’m happy for those who can now feel a sense of relief, I do hope you all receive acceptances from more affordable schools.

I got accepted to the program too. Gave my interview on 24th, got accepted on 27th. so relieved can finally call myself a future OT

What did they ask you on the interview? What was the onsite essay about? My interview is in 2 weeks and im super nervous!

Grrr to NYIT for sending out early interviews/acceptances and asking for a $1500 (is it still that much??) non-refundable deposit. Not to mention the tuition cost. I played their game last year and while I’m happy for those who can now feel a sense of relief, I do hope you all receive acceptances from more affordable schools.

Hey i've been lurking around threads here and see you pop up often, which school did you end up choosing to go to?!

I'm at Kean in Jersey.

Last edited:
Was the cost the only reason why you didn't attend?
I wish they gave us more time to decide :/

Was the cost the only reason why you didn't attend?
I wish they gave us more time to decide :/

It was not the only reason but definitely a big one. It’s pretty scary when you start looking into interest rates and how much you will owe monthly.

Yea I'm not going to accept because of the high cost. I would also like to hear back from the other schools I applied to

Understandable, especially since you're out of state.
Good luck :)

YES!!! Also I'm not from New york. Do you know places around NYIT which is cheap? Or like the website that I should look on?
Also do they give scholarships? I remember in the interview they mentioned about it.
hmmm Old Westbury is pretty expensive but I believe they have a dorming option!
and you will receive an acceptance package in the mail with scholarship info in the mail soon!

Yup, we have around 2 weeks to decide if we want to pay the $1000 deposit and another 2 weeks to send it to them. Then we have to submit another $500 deposit by March. I like NYIT but the tuition for that program is not something I can just jump into right away especially since my family is pretty low income (and I would have to move closer to NYIT which is going to increase that tuition cost to maybe $130K adding in the living expenses). Even this deposit is something that is going to take me awhile to think about since $1000 is basically a month's rent money/bills/transportation cost, sigh.

I just got accepted also!! Do any of you know how long the program is exactly? There isnt an updated curriculum on their website.
hi! im a first year student at NYIT. the new curriculum is on the website actually!

Occupational Therapy, M.S. | Degrees | NYIT

it isnt broken down semester by semester but those are all the courses in the right sequence (except kinesiology is part of the 2nd semester even though it's shown a little farther down on the list); the program is 3 full years. its 2 years of coursework and the last year is 2 required L2FW's and 1 optional L2FW. classes start in the summer and that's the only time where there are summer classes, the optional fieldwork in the 3d year would be a summer though.

Thanks!
I interviewed last year and got accepted, the interview is individual, and you meet with 2 separate faculty members one at a time. Then you write an essay, it was basically a mock e-mail to a professor (they're very big on sending professional e-mails), and I think there was another short essay I can't remember. Good luck!

hi! im a first year student at NYIT. the new curriculum is on the website actually!

Occupational Therapy, M.S. | Degrees | NYIT

it isnt broken down semester by semester but those are all the courses in the right sequence (except kinesiology is part of the 2nd semester even though it's shown a little farther down on the list); the program is 3 full years. its 2 years of coursework and the last year is 2 required L2FW's and 1 optional L2FW. classes start in the summer and that's the only time where there are summer classes, the optional fieldwork in the 3d year would be a summer though.

If you go on the NYIT website and search semester maps you can see the curriculum outlined by semester.

If you go on the NYIT website and search semester maps you can see the curriculum outlined by semester.
that must be new I havent seen it before, but yeah that's the new curriculum!

Hi Gina! How are you liking NYIT? We could def use some insight about it. Is the course loud tough? Are you able to work while in school? Are the professors nice?

Also! My OT said that they make you dissect real cadavers in anatomy she attended NYIT over 10 years ago so I’m hoping the curriculum changed but did you have to dissect a cadaver for your anatomy classes? Sorry for all the questions!

Hi everyone, I have an interview this Thursday at NYIT and it's my first time being interviewed.. ever. Can any of you give me somewhat of a play by play of the interview at NYIT? What the essay topics were, the most challenging questions they asked, and anything else that can possibly help me. I'm trying to do mock interviews in the mean time but not sure exactly what to expect. Also, the email doesn't state who the interviewers will be. Does anyone know so I can do my research about them?

Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have an interview this Thursday at NYIT and it's my first time being interviewed.. ever. Can any of you give me somewhat of a play by play of the interview at NYIT? What the essay topics were, the most challenging questions they asked, and anything else that can possibly help me. I'm trying to do mock interviews in the mean time but not sure exactly what to expect. Also, the email doesn't state who the interviewers will be. Does anyone know so I can do my research about them?

Thanks a ton!

Two professors gave a presentation on the program, we were then asked to write an on site essay, which I'm not sure if it changes every time. While we wrote our essays, we were called individually and interviewed by two different professors. They asked mostly situational questions that I was not prepared for but I still got accepted!! Hope that makes you feel better lol good luck!!

Thanks a ton!

My interview is this Thursday also! Maybe we'll be in the same group haha

Two professors gave a presentation on the program, we were then asked to write an on site essay, which I'm not sure if it changes every time. While we wrote our essays, we were called individually and interviewed by two different professors. They asked mostly situational questions that I was not prepared for but I still got accepted!! Hope that makes you feel better lol good luck!!

Thank you for responding and CONGRATS!! The essays probably do change but do you remember the topic you had to write about? And what do you mean by situational questions? Can you give me some examples?

Thank you for responding and CONGRATS!! The essays probably do change but do you remember the topic you had to write about? And what do you mean by situational questions? Can you give me some examples?

No problem! I had to write about what I believed made a good OT.
They asked questions like if you were asked to do something you weren't trained in, would you still do it? Stuff like that. It was easy and they made you feel very comfortable so the nerves went away!

Hey guys! I've been looking for this kind of thread for a while! I applied on 8/27, was offered an interview on 9/21, and interviewed on 9/27 at 9:30. Still haven't heard anything from them, but I recently received a rejection from Touro. Has anyone heard of any wait lists or rejections so far, or when they might come? I'm getting anxious because some people have already been accepted

Hey!! You interviewed 9/26 or 9/27...I was there 9/26!
I haven't heard of a wait list or if anyone has gotten rejected yet, sorry :(