******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys - i wanted to know if everyone just left after getting their parking permit, getting that gift bag, and checkign their mailbox? I left at like 2:30 cuz i got done that early. I'm kinda freaking out cuz I feel like I may have missed some announcement after that.

Btw, do we need anything like scrubs, stethescopes, etc for tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah i agree, they should have had some way to separate it up. By the way, do we need to wear scrubs tomorrow for the afternoon part and what do we wear the rest of the time(lectures) because they never really went over that in the entire orientation period.

congrats on your first day!
definitely wear WHATEVER YOU WANT for lectures, theres no dress code for lectures..but i really really advise you to always bring a sweatshirt, its freezing in the lecture halls.

by the way
dont know if anyone noticed,
but barbara ross lee is diana ross's sister!
one cool thing abt nycom

Members don't see this ad :)
by the way
dont know if anyone noticed,
but barbara ross lee is diana ross's sister!
one cool thing abt nycom
Yeah, she should get her to invest some of that fat disco cash into osteopathic medicine. And by osteopathic medicine, I mean buying NYCOM a decent gym. :D

Hello everyone. Today was cool and I'm glad we got out earlier than usual. Does tomorrow really start at 10AM or 8AM? I heard we are to meet earlier for some presentation.

BTW, I did NOT know Dr. Ross Lee was Diana Ross's sister. I loved the key note speaker's address. But, the lines sucked....Glad I didn't rush out for lunch first. I stayed to get the jump on the crowds and was done early enuf to run over to Conference Room B to sign up for health insurance and then check with financial aid to make sure all my paperwork was done. I don't want any delays with my reimbursement check.

Gotta get books tomorrow. Does anyone know if we should buy the proposed books for Histo, Pharm and Microbiology? The handout we received in our mailboxes indicated assigned reading from several of the texts they recommended. Not sure what's best to do.....:confused: Thanks....

ughh the lines def sucked!! i didnt leave til 530, and the line was still out the door!

i think tomorrow at 8AM is a speaker, then classes at 10AM. are they going to formally tell us what groups we are in for OMM & anatomy? i think tomorrow is just anatomy lecture though...no lab, so we can wear whatever?

and is class in the same place as today? or in serota? i feel so uninformed!

the lines were godawful and i also feel uninformed, in general. they need to organize orientation day a little bit better, me thinks.

if you look at the packet they gave us of the syllabus, there's a schedule for which lectures are covered each day. i think usually at least 4 lectures per day.

based on the syllabus, it seems that OMM labs are wednesdays and fridays (depending on your group) and anatomy labs are tuesdays - fridays.. i think each group goes twice a week. we're starting labs on wednesday and i think they're gonna assign our groups tomorrow.

i have a question bout the white coat voucher. what is that?? arent' they supposed to give us our white coats during the white coat ceremony? and on another note.. WHEN is the white coat ceremony?? i thought it was during the second year... i've heard some people say it's this year in september or october??

We need to wear white coats when we do mock patient simulations. OMM lab and anatomy labs switch I believe. So one day you'll have OMM lab and the other day you'll have anatomy etc. The guest speaker was awesome. I still can't get my email working :(

if you look at the packet they gave us of the syllabus, there's a schedule for which lectures are covered each day. i think usually at least 4 lectures per day.

based on the syllabus, it seems that OMM labs are wednesdays and fridays (depending on your group) and anatomy labs are tuesdays - fridays.. i think each group goes twice a week. we're starting labs on wednesday and i think they're gonna assign our groups tomorrow.

i have a question bout the white coat voucher. what is that?? arent' they supposed to give us our white coats during the white coat ceremony? and on another note.. WHEN is the white coat ceremony?? i thought it was during the second year... i've heard some people say it's this year in september or october??

The White Coat voucher gets you your white coat for free from the NYIT book store. Just go to the store, pick out your coat and give them your voucher at the register.

The white coat ceremony is in the second year. Convocation is in sept./oct.

Your lab groups are already posted on Noodle under the 2011 general section. You will be in group A1, A2, B1, or B2.

Who was the guest speaker by the way that you guys are saying was awesome??

Noodle access is the same name/pw as your email? Dam, I can't get mine started. It tells me I'm entering the wrong info when I try to set my email. The guest speaker was Dr. Anderson. He is an old school physician, but participated in the civil rights movement when it started. He knew Martin Luther King Jr. and was arrested for leading riots!!

Your noodle login is your email without the @nyit.edu
Your password is your NYIT ID number but you have to reduce the numbers to six. Try to remove either the first number or the last number from your number. For me it was the first number i had to remove.

-Spencer

okay make it simple please ..
what do I have to read tonight for tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am reading power points...
I am just going through noodles..
where did you see powepoints?

I am nervous.. any 2nd year telling us what is the best way to keep up with the load of studdying?

I am nervous.. any 2nd year telling us what is the best way to keep up with the load of studdying?

They put all the ppt (for tomorrow) in our lockers. I picked those up and read a little bit. Very basic info. Nothing much there.

They put all the ppt (for tomorrow) in our lockers. I picked those up and read a little bit. Very basic info. Nothing much there.
oh I see.. I thought on noodle...

oh well we will see what happends...
we need a good guidance.

to keep up with the studying, study everything you covered during the day immediately after classes and then review the week's material on the weekends. Then review everything a 3rd time (and 4th if you have time) in your study period before the exam.

I'm sure people have different methods but I think that the more you see something, the better you'[ll remember it.

Mines is similar to biggreen...I do a little everyday just really trying to learn it the first time around..What I've found helpful is that I make a study schedule for the week outlining what I want to get finish for that wk, and I try to stick to it eventhough a lot of times I fall behind...But really just do a little everyday, it'll take time but u'll find out what works and doesn't work for u...The first block is overwhelming, but once its over it gets easier or u just get use to the workload...

:luck:

You will get 2 white coats. The one you get the voucher for is the one you wear for the first 2 years... Girls who want smalls, go ASAP! It's basically just used for ICC (and DPR until you realize that no one really cares what you wear to DPR). The 2nd one is nice and has your name on it and actually fits. THis one you'll get at the end of 2nd year during the white coat ceremony. We are the first class to get both coats, not really sure why, but they just started it.

As for attire for labs, read the manuals. Wear scrubs to anatomy. The second you walk in, your clothes will stink. You don't want your new jeans and fancy shirts to stink. For OMM, read the guidelines. They do actually check to see if you have shorts on under your scrubs, so wear them. Girls, wear like a halter tankini, a bikini top, a one piece bathing suit with a completely open back, or a button up shirt backwards. Tanks with bras aren't technically allowed, and if they feel like being a pain, they may not allow it. Racer back sports bras are def not allowed. PM me with more specific questions about OMM attire.

the way thats worked for me is just go home after every day of lecture and take notes on those lecture powerpoints that were covered that day...if cant finish notes for the whole day in one evening, do it immediately the next day..DONT FALL BEHIND!
that's how i studied last year and it worked great for me. but like others have said, everyone has a different way of doing it..the key is, DONT FALL BEHIND!
good luck!!!

for OMM lab, what can we wear on our feet? are flip flops ok? thanks!

the way thats worked for me is just go home after every day of lecture and take notes on those lecture powerpoints that were covered that day...if cant finish notes for the whole day in one evening, do it immediately the next day..DONT FALL BEHIND!
that's how i studied last year and it worked great for me. but like others have said, everyone has a different way of doing it..the key is, DONT FALL BEHIND!
good luck!!!
Thanks...

which books did you study from beside the notes...
I guess the Dissector and Atlas Anatomy

OMM lab is in the building in the back, on the first floor (left) ? What login do we use to access the streamed videos?

Thanks...

which books did you study from beside the notes
I guess the Dissector and Atlas Anatomy

other than the 2 u mentioned....CLINICALLY ORIENTED ANATOMY by Moore and Dalley is a MUST READ.
i definitely read that book like it was my job.
i know some people will say that you have to read robbin's/harrison's but to be honest, i never did and i got honors.
not to say that you shouldnt...
the only system that i did read harrisons for was immunology, but thats it.
definitely get clinically oriented anatomy though.
:)

ps- just another tip..when you get to Neuro, whatever you do, DONT BUY Barr's Human Nervous System, Its a complete waste of money/time...i bought it (and so did many others) thinking it would help me get through the monstrocity that is neurology, but it definitely just made things worse.
another other questions feel free to ask

Are the streamed lectures for today up on Noodle yet? Are they usually posted to noodle or elsewhere?? :confused:

Found it....here's the link and use the above login and password

http://movies.nyit.edu/movies/2007_2008/Class_2011_Intro_OMM.htm

other than the 2 u mentioned....CLINICALLY ORIENTED ANATOMY by Moore and Dalley is a MUST READ.
i definitely read that book like it was my job.
i know some people will say that you have to read robbin's/harrison's but to be honest, i never did and i got honors.
not to say that you shouldnt...
the only system that i did read harrisons for was immunology, but thats it.
definitely get clinically oriented anatomy though.
:)

ps- just another tip..when you get to Neuro, whatever you do, DONT BUY Barr's Human Nervous System, Its a complete waste of money/time...i bought it (and so did many others) thinking it would help me get through the monstrocity that is neurology, but it definitely just made things worse.
another other questions feel free to ask

Thanks for the tip nyc55!

BTW, do you 2nd yrs know who your little bro/sis is already? I guess we get to meet you all tomorrow at the lunch :)

BTW, do you 2nd yrs know who you're little bro/sis is already? I guess we get to meet you all tomorrow at the lunch :)

Nope its all random....we walk in and grab whoever we want.

Are the streamed lectures for today up on Noodle yet? Are they usually posted to noodle or elsewhere?? :confused:

Its generally the case that the lecture streams are posted on the movie site first under web resources on the NYCOM page. They can be posted on Noodle at the same time but if you see that they're not check the movies page.

EDIT:
docsaintrita posted the link :)

you should access the streamed videos from this website instead of noodle (they put them up here first usually)
http://movies.nyit.edu/movies/

NYCOM has had a lot of issues with people stealing lectures, which is why they have passwords. You probably shouldn't be posting the password where anyone can see it.

NYCOM has had a lot of issues with people stealing lectures, which is why they have passwords. You probably shouldn't be posting the password where anyone can see it.
Agreed, nyc55 you should edit that before it gets out. If a mod sees this, could they please edit the post? We don't need people from other schools streaming our lectures and slowing it down.

First years...do you guys have class till 5 PM pretty much every day? I caught a glimpse at your schedule and it seemed that way.

If so, do you know if that's only for fundamentals...we have class (and had) class till 5 PM (usually 2 or 3 PM) twice a week and no later than noon the other 3 days a week. If they changed it up like that, is it only for fundamentals?

we're not sure, but we're hoping its just for fundamentals! it has been crazy being in class til 5PM, and then going home and studying, and we're only on day 2!
First years...do you guys have class till 5 PM pretty much every day? I caught a glimpse at your schedule and it seemed that way.

If so, do you know if that's only for fundamentals...we have class (and had) class till 5 PM (usually 2 or 3 PM) twice a week and no later than noon the other 3 days a week. If they changed it up like that, is it only for fundamentals?

we're not sure, but we're hoping its just for fundamentals! it has been crazy being in class til 5PM, and then going home and studying, and we're only on day 2!

I am really hoping it gets less crazy when we're out of fundamentals. 5 days of 8-5 lecture/lab is rough!

I am really hoping it gets less crazy when we're out of fundamentals. 5 days of 8-5 lecture/lab is rough!

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be complaining given it's only the 2nd day and lectures are interesting and all- but this schedule ain't easy. And I know most med students don't have a schedule like this. It's just draining! But it'll ease up after Fundamentals.

I think my biggest problem is getting to bed on time because I have those first-week jitters that prevent me from falling asleep before 1am. And then it's like, hello! Alarm clock blaring at 6:30am. Hate that.

Did the movie link's ID and/or pwd change recently? I can't get in any longer :(

Contact your appropriate school department for the username and/or password. Proprietary information is not to be posted on the forums. Offenses will be removed and appropriate action taken against the posting parties.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Your friendly neighborhood osteo mod
- ShyRem :D

great. now the site's down.

thanks shyrem...but seems it was too late.

dude, why'd you go and post the password??? now no one can see the movies!

Sorry, noonday. I got the second reported instance... All4 got the first one reported. Wish we could have been faster for you. :(

great. now the site's down.

thanks shyrem...but seems it was too late.

dude, why'd you go and post the password??? now no one can see the movies!

Well...I guess that proves that NYCOM monitors SDN.

Sorry, noonday. I got the second reported instance... All4 got the first one reported. Wish we could have been faster for you. :(

not your fault someone else was dumb.

thank you for your hard work, shyrem!

SO SORRY for posting the username, i had NO idea it was such a big deal...the site is working for me now though...are you still not able to get on?

SORRY AGAIN!

The site was down because the power went out on campus, so the whole network shut down. It was only out for about 15 min though.

Well...I guess that proves that NYCOM monitors SDN.
Not necessarily; it's possible the server noticed an increase in traffic, possibly even monitoring that many IP addresses not in the northeast were accessing the server and alerted the IT people at our school, who may have assumed the password leaked.