******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well said mr. exanogen! It is true that you do not need a tablet pc.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think you need a tablet PC as NYCOM DOES provide powerpoints over 90% of the time. If you attend lecture you will have the ppt to jot notes down on. Owning a tablet PC is motivation to go to class, but if you find yourself not going to class, it becomes a waste. I would honestly hold off on it until you get a feel for the NYCOM lectures, lecturers, and attendance policy. I think it would be a waste of money seeing as how the people that still go to class, only a handful (2 or 3) still use their tablet PC.

That being said, get the cheapest tablet PC if you really want one. In your case, the Gateway.

by "Nycom provies powerpoints" do you mean that they make them available for download for the students to print out on their own time or does nycom physically print out enough copies for every student before the lecture?

If it's the former, I can still see a huge advantage to having a tablet as I would not need to ever print, saving time, paper/ink and money.

we have mailboxes in Riland and 90-95% of the time the powerpoint for the lecture is in there before lecture starts. a lot of students dont even bring in computers to class (HUGEEEEEEE Distraction sometimes).

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you second years on your input for computers and power points.:thumbup:

indeed. thanks very much for your input. it's just mind boggling that they make copies of all the PPT and have them available to us before lecture. it seems like that is a LOT of paper...

imagine being the guy who has to print 200 sets of 40 slides each on a daily basis!

Yea they provide the powerpoint online 100% of the time before class(sometimes they make minor additions right before lecture starts, but the updated version always gets updated) AND they provide paper copy of the PPT in the mailbox.

Its a pretty sweet deal. Computers get to be distracting if you bring them to class.

we have mailboxes in Riland and 90-95% of the time the powerpoint for the lecture is in there before lecture starts. a lot of students dont even bring in computers to class (HUGEEEEEEE Distraction sometimes).

Like sexpistol said, we got the notes in our mail boxes about 95% of the time (except when the copy machine broke down or the lecturer didn't send the ppt copy in time.) These happen very rarely though.
With that said, most students don't bring computer to class.
However, notes can be very hard to read sometimes. (for example, the lecturer put in too many words in ppt slides which are printed six slides a page or the lecture has color coded notes which doesn't appear well on black and white print outs). So I always bring in my computer with me.

I bring my laptop to class so I can play scrabble on Facebook :laugh:

I'm thinking of maintaining both a digital copy of every PPT lecture on my tablet and a paper one, annotating the digital copy during lecture and then recopying the notes I made onto the paper ones when I get home that evening as a review. It seems like it would be good "finger memory" and it would provide me with a hard copy and a digital copy.

That is, assuming, that there is TIME for this...

I'm thinking of maintaining both a digital copy of every PPT lecture on my tablet and a paper one, annotating the digital copy during lecture and then recopying the notes I made onto the paper ones when I get home that evening as a review. It seems like it would be good "finger memory" and it would provide me with a hard copy and a digital copy.

god, you will be the soccer mom of med students. :laugh:

god, you will be the soccer mom of med students. :laugh:

There will come a day when you will be grateful for my psychotic meticulousness, perhaps when I can instantly provide an email copy of the day's lecture with my highlights of what's important on, say, a day you were unable to come to lecture? YOU RETURN FAVOR WHEN I NEED IT! :laugh::laugh:

There's not. :D

There will come a day when you will be grateful for my psychotic meticulousness, perhaps when I can instantly provide an email copy of the day's lecture with my highlights of what's important on, say, a day you were unable to come to lecture? YOU RETURN FAVOR WHEN I NEED IT! :laugh::laugh:

Unfortunately, with the ability to stream the lecture at twice the speed you sat through it for.... you're not going to get much for this bribe ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, with the ability to stream the lecture at twice the speed you sat through it for.... you're not going to get much for this bribe ;)

:laugh: Well, this is assuming that the stream will be posted. I'm not sure what the final verdict was or how "final" it will stay once 2012 starts school, but what happened with the whole <80% attendance policy = no stream?

Unrelated noobish questions:

1) How long is a lecture?
2) How many lectures per day?

I'm not afraid of working hard on a daily basis, but I am slightly afraid of burning out. :scared:

PS: best of luck to the you guys who are starting rotations (Kate!) and congrats to the first years who finished!

:laugh: Well, this is assuming that the stream will be posted. I'm not sure what the final verdict was or how "final" it will stay once 2012 starts school, but what happened with the whole <80% attendance policy = no stream?

I'm not afraid of working hard on a daily basis, but I am slightly afraid of burning out. :scared:

During Fundamentals you'll be in class roughly 8/9-5pm 5 days a week. Usually, 3 of the days will have labs in the mornings (2 anatomy + 1 OMM) so you'll be in lecture during the afternoons from 1-5pm. Life gets a bit better after fundamentals....until you hit Neuro :laugh:

As someone who went to every lecture (until the last 3 weeks of school when I was studying for boards as much as lecture) and also streamed every lecture, I really hope they don't do that to you guys! The only lecture that ever got taken down for us was the one that was supposed to be given by the dean (a fellow actually gave the lecture, but the dean was there to witness the extremely poor attendance). I believe for the first years, it was a lecture that Dr. Gilliar of the OMM department gave. I think they are going to revamp the attendance policy over the summer, but they will probably crack down considerably. My best advice for everyone is if you have to be in class, make the most of it. Don't bring a computer (it's more of a distraction than it is useful). Take really good notes on your ppts during lecture. That way if you decide to restream it, you actually remember what happened in class. If you're paying attention, it's not a waste of time to be there. Yes it's nice to be able to stream a lecture at 2x, but if you haven't attended the lecture first, it doesn't really speed things up, because you pause it so much that it ends up being at the same speed. The only thing you miss is the breaks.

Thanks for everyones replies. Now I'm wondering if I really do need a tablet PC... there is a really good deal on a Dell XPS M1330, fully loaded for about 1200 (down from 1800) with all the goodies and it's really light.

Will I really miss not having a tablet PC at NYCOM if I've never used one before in my life? PS: I type 50 times faster than I write.

You do not need a tablet pc. The lectures will be streamed as well, trust us. Occasionally they may take one down, but that happened once all year for us.

You do not need a tablet pc. The lectures will be streamed as well, trust us. Occasionally they may take one down, but that happened once all year for us.

does each seat in the lecture hall have its own outlet? i'm trying to figure out if i should buy a smaller celled battery (for weight and shape issues), which would be fine if you're always plugged in anyway.

thanks

does each seat in the lecture hall have its own outlet? i'm trying to figure out if i should buy a smaller celled battery (for weight and shape issues), which would be fine if you're always plugged in anyway.

thanks

Yes they do.

I know nothing about computers other than how to use them so I can't comment on the tablet pc debate BUT if its only a few hundred more and will make you happy, will it make that much of a difference in 4 years if you're $287,000 in debt or $287,600? I've gotten yelled at by people for talking like this before but in all honestly I don't think it will matter much if you splurge, so long as you don't make splurging a habit!

Happyness = Better Grades!!

Thanks for everyones replies. Now I'm wondering if I really do need a tablet PC... there is a really good deal on a Dell XPS M1330, fully loaded for about 1200 (down from 1800) with all the goodies and it's really light.

Will I really miss not having a tablet PC at NYCOM if I've never used one before in my life? PS: I type 50 times faster than I write.

Remember, you can still type on your tablet PC. :)
tablet PC may make annotating on the slides easier. If it is only a few hundreds more, I will get a tablet PC (although you won't be missing out much with a regular laptop).

P.S: Good to see you Jason. I figure you are done with the boards. How did it go?
Any advice on what incoming second year students should be studying/reviewing during the summer?

See attached for an apartment for rent in Sea Cliff. May be too pricey for one person, but it is great for a couple. Pictures included in the attachment.

Attachments

• 264-upstairs ad.doc
    49 KB · Views: 248

thanks

Go for the better battery! I got the normal one, and now my computer doesn't last more than 20 min without being plugged in, and it's only 2 years old. My friend bought hers at the exact same time, but she got the better battery, and hers lasts forever.
Yeah you can plug in in class, but what if you want to take it on the train, or like sit outside or something.

Go for the better battery! I got the normal one, and now my computer doesn't last more than 20 min without being plugged in, and it's only 2 years old. My friend bought hers at the exact same time, but she got the better battery, and hers lasts forever.
Yeah you can plug in in class, but what if you want to take it on the train, or like sit outside or something.

Li-On batteries have an expected life span of about 2-3 yrs depending on use. Get a new battery especially if you are still using the laptop for step 1. You will like your laptop again.

Keep the old battery and use it when on AC power at home. If there is a power outage you have backup. Then use the new one when you want to be portable. don't foget to mark them well.

Eudjinn,
buy the bigger battery as suggested by KateGia. When the power goes out at NYCOM you will be golden!:smuggrin:

Thanks :D Everyone will be jealous of my uber battery life!!

For all the newcomers to nycom who seem to view this page I will sum up first year for you. Intro to Osteopathic Medicine is probably the worst (maybe Neuro) course of the year. Like previously stated it is mostly 8-5 5 days a week with all these crazy anatomy labs thrown in. Someweeks we had 3 anatomy labs and the amount of anatomical structures they expect you to learn in one week is just insane so definitely read or skim your dissectors beforehand and I would know the location of the structures on a netters or clementes before stepping foot into the lab because it will just make your life much much easier. Also in Intro. there are quizzes everyweek as long as theres not a test that week. So that blows. You will not have a free weekend unless you decide to not study for a quiz and take the hit.

Musculoskeletal was easy and you will have some freetime to breath. Nothing to worry about..Simon teaches lots of lectures and you will learn his pictures and diseases..Lupus, RA, etc with no problems

Neuro is not hard, it is just non-stop for 3 straight months and the schedule is not too light. You can easily do well but you will be burnt out after because there is alot of material and not much time to rest and recoup. There are alot of 8/9-5 days. Once neuros done it is smooth sailing.

Immuno. was not hard and it has one of the highest honors average along with derm which is definitely easy. Immuno. is not hard but some had difficulty with it so if it is your weakspot just stay with it.

Overall if you study enough the tests are not hard. In my opinion and this will vary from student to student, I thought we only had two difficult tests and both of them came in Neurology. But like I said people will have varying opinions on this. Just put in the time and you will do well at NYCOM! good luck to everyone!

That is pretty right on... especially being burnt out after neuro. i was definitely not the same student in the beginning of the year after neuro i just had less of an attention span and didnt mind it.

how long does intro to OM last? thanks for your replies guys.

Official NYCOM fourth year. class of 2009.

Bored as hell with time on my hands and time to answer all your questions.

SO lay them on me. 2010,11,12 it don't matter. Non-discriminating.

I'll give you the skinny on all the BS you have to look forward to.

Official NYCOM fourth year. class of 2009.

Bored as hell with time on my hands and time to answer all your questions.

SO lay them on me. 2010,11,12 it don't matter. Non-discriminating.

I'll give you the skinny on all the BS you have to look forward to.

Thanks! How about an easy one. What is the one biggest, most important thing one can/should do to survive and do well at NYCOM?

how long does intro to OM last? thanks for your replies guys.

Intro to Osteo lasts from august to the first week of october..You will cover a lot of random **** especially from McWhinney..It will be fun!

Thanks! How about an easy one. What is the one biggest, most important thing one can/should do to survive and do well at NYCOM?

My tips: #1 Ignore all the crap. If you let yourself get caught up in it, you'll just end up being bitter (this is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" tips).
#2 Start studying right away. In the beginning tests sneak up on you, and you don't want to get behind. The "Eh, I have 3 weeks til the test" quickly turns into "where the heck did those 3 weeks go?"
#3 Buy a First Aid. Use it for every course. Write in it a lot.

My tips: #1 Ignore all the crap. If you let yourself get caught up in it, you'll just end up being bitter (this is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" tips).
#2 Start studying right away. In the beginning tests sneak up on you, and you don't want to get behind. The "Eh, I have 3 weeks til the test" quickly turns into "where the heck did those 3 weeks go?"
#3 Buy a First Aid. Use it for every course. Write in it a lot.
Completely agree. When conducting my board review this spring, I noticed the sections of First Aid that I annotated heavily during that thread, I remembered much more easily when studying for boards later on.

what is the name of those multicolored pens that people use for boards studying...ive seen people in the study lounge with a long pack of pens....are those good? wehre do i get those

Does it matter what edition we buy of the board review books? I want to start annotating them as soon as school starts but wanted to buy the review books for cheap off amazon marketplace. Is it necessary that I wait for the most current edition?

Also, anyone just finish their first year of DPC? What did you think?

Thanks.

1) FIrst Aid Advice is excellent. Everything you need to do well on boards is in that book.

2) Focus your entire mindset toward studying for the boards. Particularty USMLE Step 1. Ignore the lecturer du jour who is stressing this or that factoid. I would do the absolute minimum to get an 80 on the NYCOM exams (Passing is 70 so 10 point buffer). Don't stress about the stupid NYCOM exams beyond passing. USe first aid and other sources to see what physiology and pathology is important. DON'T TRUST The nycom professors as to how and what to study. Dont' let them stress you out about anything! Your entire focus should be on the boards. This is what will get you the residency you want and more importantly the boards stress the correct material for being a good doctor.

3) Use USMLE World to study for boards. DOn't waste your time with USMLErx or Kaplan Q bank. Not as high yield as USMLE World.

4) Also, learn to take everything anyone says on SDN with a grain of salt. Including me. Trust yourself and what workd for you. IF you can get away with it, don't go to class. Stream everything. Double speed. Enough to pass the NYCOM tests.

5) Don't worry about honors the first two years. Honors during clinical (3rd year) is much more importan.

Does it matter what edition we buy of the board review books? I want to start annotating them as soon as school starts but wanted to buy the review books for cheap off amazon marketplace. Is it necessary that I wait for the most current edition?

Also, anyone just finish their first year of DPC? What did you think?

Thanks.

I finished my first year of DPC, PM me with questions I'll try to answer :)

can someone explain to me the computer requirements for step 1 exams (both COMLEX and USMLE)?

i'm currently on the fence with getting either a macbook or a dell xps m1330. if i go the mac route, i'll have parallels and windows xp for streaming and anything on the windows side.

do any of you have insight on whether or not people with macs ran into trouble for board exams?

thanks!

can someone explain to me the computer requirements for step 1 exams (both COMLEX and USMLE)?

i'm currently on the fence with getting either a macbook or a dell xps m1330. if i go the mac route, i'll have parallels and windows xp for streaming and anything on the windows side.

do any of you have insight on whether or not people with macs ran into trouble for board exams?

thanks!

I'm not sure if i'm understanding the question, but you don't take the boards on your own computer. You go to a prometric center and take it.

Our schedule is posted for this year on the web. I noticed this year there is no Contemporary Issues block. Does anyone know what will happen to that content? It looks like we finish GU/Repro on May 4 and must be available for OSCE exams until the 13th. Are they just going to tack that on at the end and add a couple weeks? Thanks!

I'm not sure if i'm understanding the question, but you don't take the boards on your own computer. You go to a prometric center and take it.

haha... i did not know that. i pictured impending step 1 doom when my previously flawless setup craps out on test day. thanks for the clarification :thumbup:

Our schedule is posted for this year on the web. I noticed this year there is no Contemporary Issues block. Does anyone know what will happen to that content? It looks like we finish GU/Repro on May 4 and must be available for OSCE exams until the 13th. Are they just going to tack that on at the end and add a couple weeks? Thanks!

Dr. Bryant wrote in the email that they are not sure where they are going to stick that class yet and that it might be added right before our clerkships... I don't think they are positive about it yet.

hey c/o 2011ers.... how often did you have quizzes and tests? did you have a couple tests per system (or something like that)?