******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will anything be done about the quality and content of the last two tests? Its just frustrating at this point.

Of course the schedule is a problem as well. The second week will have all the classes once again for the next test.

Its sad when students kill themselves to do well, or just pass, and its clear the people behind these last few courses seem to be doing as little work as possible to ensure a clean and fair test.

At this point ill keep bending over and taking it because I have no other choice, but its demoralizing.

I actually don't believe there is much malicious thought against us, rather not much thought at all. It will be years until the school gets it right for the first and second years. I hope their new policies raise board passing rates and everyone is happy. i hope I am still here to witness that first hand.

The president of the class I believe is great for the position except that she is not in the lecture based track, and I dont believe she really knows what a majority of students are going through. Though honestly what can she do anyways?

The admin. wants us to fill out forms about the courses after th fact, when we are tired and just want to forget about it. How can you blame us?

I dont know if anyone reads this forum, but the situation is sad. I never expect med school to be easy, but I didnt think it would be hard because the school is weeding people out. Nothing was ever given to me, or to anyone else in nycom, but we deserve a little respect, encouragement, and some chances to succeed and get used to this experience.

Listen i can complain all day, but i know that those that post here are the students that honor, pass with no issues, and maybe really think the school by and large is doing a flawless job, but i need to semi vent.

Peace out

woot!

I cannot agree with your post. I thought the past two tests were fair and made you think a bit. The mean was almost an 80 for neuro part 2 test 1, I think that is close enough to a fair test. Test #2 for neuro part 1 was an outright joke! That was probably a high school level maybe undergraduate exam. You knew almost all the anwers before you took the exam. That is not medical school! Neuro 1 test 1 was. And all of neuro 2 has been. People are supposed to fail thats just the way it is. And if its me than so be it. I don't honor so I am not one of those kids who has to know every stupid useless fact on the slides. In my opinion, the difficulty level on these last two exams was appropriate to the level of where we all should be. My 2 cents. Good luck to all of you in neuro part 3!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.

I'm a NYCOM Alumni Class of 2005, currently finishing my FP residency in Long Beach. I have two houses in Valley Stream, a 3BR and a 4BR that I will be renting to students beginning in July. They are 30 minutes from school and very central to the NYCOMEC 3rd and 4th year rotations. So you could theoretically stay for all four years and not worry about moving.

Check out the details and photos online at www.haigroad.blogspot.com and feel free to contact me about the houses or anything else related to med school/NYCOM/internship/residency/finding a job!!!

Good luck,

Alexis Hugelmeyer
[email protected]

I cannot agree with your post. I thought the past two tests were fair and made you think a bit. The mean was almost an 80 for neuro part 2 test 1, I think that is close enough to a fair test. Test #2 for neuro part 1 was an outright joke! That was probably a high school level maybe undergraduate exam. You knew almost all the anwers before you took the exam. That is not medical school! Neuro 1 test 1 was. And all of neuro 2 has been. People are supposed to fail thats just the way it is. And if its me than so be it. I don't honor so I am not one of those kids who has to know every stupid useless fact on the slides. In my opinion, the difficulty level on these last two exams was appropriate to the level of where we all should be. My 2 cents. Good luck to all of you in neuro part 3!

I thought for the most part Neuro 2 Test 2 was fair. I could have done without a few of the more ridiculous questions ( 7% PTSD pts and 1-2% epilesy questions). Also, I wish they tested us on higher level concepts rather than minor details on a slide in some powerpoint, but that's just my opinion. Maybe this is the best way for med students to learn, maybe it isn't.

Anyways, just hang in there guys...Neuro is 2/3rds over!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
As a 2nd year, I just wanna tell you guys to hang in there. When you're finished with neuro you're finished with what is in my opinion the toughest block at NYCOM (we haven't done GU and Reproductive yet but I'm hoping it's not as bad as neuro).

Neuro has so many things thrown together between the head, face, brain, neck, etc. anatomy, psychology, friedman, neurology itself, etc. It's also such a long course that you just seem to drag on and on forever. Maybe in a sense it's a weeder course, but the truth is, NYCOM tests tend to be very predictable. It's unfair, but sometimes you can study the salient points and ignore the board relevant stuff and you'll pass easily. Yes you're only hurting yourself in the long run but as first years, you may just be looking to survive. Look at old exams and know everything in first aid. That will help you out. Buy BRS Pathology and study that as well. Last year, IMO, once we got through Neuro 2 it was smooth sailing. We had 30 neuroanatomy questions on the third test (no excuse to not get at least 95% of them correct), and about 40 psychiatry questions. It's easy compared to Neuro 1 and 2 unless they drastically changed things up for you guys.

After neuro is over you'll have the pleasure of Heme/Immunology. It's run by Simon and Elkowitz and was an excellent thread. Simon teaches the bulk of the lectures and not only does he do a great job teaching the material but he prepares you well for the exam of which he has about 35 questions on it. Elkowitz has another 15 questions on the exam...READ ROBBINS...I usually don't read much Robbins but it's important for the oncology lectures. Honestly though, it's a great thread. Then you get to finish the year with Dermatology...just go to Hoffman's review session...she gives you all of her questions basically, so take good notes on her "high yield points". It's a pretty short and easy course though.

I so far have loved all of our courses this year for the most part. I think they've all been run very well except for the OMM correlations. We've had solid lectures though with a few exceptions. The tests have been fair and many of the questions have been board style questions.

So basically, get through the next few weeks and I think your opinion of NYCOM will change slightly. Their attendance policy in my mind is ridiculous and the fact that you fail an entire course by failing a practical is also ridiculous in my opinion, but look past that, and it's not that bad. Most of the doctors are very friendly and want to help out the students, it's just a select few in the administration that are difficult.

I thought for the most part Neuro 2 Test 2 was fair. I could have done without a few of the more ridiculous questions ( 7% PTSD pts and 1-2% epilesy questions). Also, I wish they tested us on higher level concepts rather than minor details on a slide in some powerpoint, but that's just my opinion. Maybe this is the best way for med students to learn, maybe it isn't.

Anyways, just hang in there guys...Neuro is 2/3rds over!! :thumbup:

I totally agree with those ridiculous questions. Thank God those questions usually only represent a very minor portion out of 100 questions. Other questions are not so bad.
I feel like the school is trying to prepare us for boards by bringing up the difficulty level higher each time. Since the materials is building up upon what we've already learned (especially in neuro), it is very important to digest the old materials and change our study habits to adapt to the curriculum.

yeah, neuro is almost done. Hope everyone did well and continue to do so for the upcoming tests.

As a 2nd year, I just wanna tell you guys to hang in there. When you're finished with neuro you're finished with what is in my opinion the toughest block at NYCOM (we haven't done GU and Reproductive yet but I'm hoping it's not as bad as neuro).

Neuro has so many things thrown together between the head, face, brain, neck, etc. anatomy, psychology, friedman, neurology itself, etc. It's also such a long course that you just seem to drag on and on forever. Maybe in a sense it's a weeder course, but the truth is, NYCOM tests tend to be very predictable. It's unfair, but sometimes you can study the salient points and ignore the board relevant stuff and you'll pass easily. Yes you're only hurting yourself in the long run but as first years, you may just be looking to survive. Look at old exams and know everything in first aid. That will help you out. Buy BRS Pathology and study that as well. Last year, IMO, once we got through Neuro 2 it was smooth sailing. We had 30 neuroanatomy questions on the third test (no excuse to not get at least 95% of them correct), and about 40 psychiatry questions. It's easy compared to Neuro 1 and 2 unless they drastically changed things up for you guys.

After neuro is over you'll have the pleasure of Heme/Immunology. It's run by Simon and Elkowitz and was an excellent thread. Simon teaches the bulk of the lectures and not only does he do a great job teaching the material but he prepares you well for the exam of which he has about 35 questions on it. Elkowitz has another 15 questions on the exam...READ ROBBINS...I usually don't read much Robbins but it's important for the oncology lectures. Honestly though, it's a great thread. Then you get to finish the year with Dermatology...just go to Hoffman's review session...she gives you all of her questions basically, so take good notes on her "high yield points". It's a pretty short and easy course though.

I so far have loved all of our courses this year for the most part. I think they've all been run very well except for the OMM correlations. We've had solid lectures though with a few exceptions. The tests have been fair and many of the questions have been board style questions.

So basically, get through the next few weeks and I think your opinion of NYCOM will change slightly. Their attendance policy in my mind is ridiculous and the fact that you fail an entire course by failing a practical is also ridiculous in my opinion, but look past that, and it's not that bad. Most of the doctors are very friendly and want to help out the students, it's just a select few in the administration that are difficult.

We're done with neuroanatomy so those easy points are gone :(

for the most part i dont think the tests are that bad. this test seemed liek they just ran out of good questions which was made apparent by the random 10 questions at the end of the exam. every exam has its negatives but there are 100 questions which makes it pretty tough to fail. and when the average is low like the first test of part 1 they make an easier test on the second test. they arent trying to fail everyone out because then where would they get there 40,000 dollars a student from. they cant be a school without any students.
side not plummer is amazing. she was as upset as we were that we had a test superbowl monday.
if anyone is constanly doing bad maybe they arent studying right

what questions did you guys argue??? i feel like we may get a few back looks like freidman is giving us two answers for one of her ?'s

Plummer is awesome considering she basically gave our class her test questions.

Friedman...last year I remember there were a few questions people used Harrison's to defend their challenge with her and she said Harrison's was wrong and didn't give the questions back....

Just throwing that out there...the woman is a disaster.

Will anything be done about the quality and content of the last two tests? Its just frustrating at this point.

Of course the schedule is a problem as well. The second week will have all the classes once again for the next test.

Its sad when students kill themselves to do well, or just pass, and its clear the people behind these last few courses seem to be doing as little work as possible to ensure a clean and fair test.

At this point ill keep bending over and taking it because I have no other choice, but its demoralizing.

I actually don't believe there is much malicious thought against us, rather not much thought at all. It will be years until the school gets it right for the first and second years. I hope their new policies raise board passing rates and everyone is happy. i hope I am still here to witness that first hand.

The president of the class I believe is great for the position except that she is not in the lecture based track, and I dont believe she really knows what a majority of students are going through. Though honestly what can she do anyways?

The admin. wants us to fill out forms about the courses after th fact, when we are tired and just want to forget about it. How can you blame us?

I dont know if anyone reads this forum, but the situation is sad. I never expect med school to be easy, but I didnt think it would be hard because the school is weeding people out. Nothing was ever given to me, or to anyone else in nycom, but we deserve a little respect, encouragement, and some chances to succeed and get used to this experience.

Listen i can complain all day, but i know that those that post here are the students that honor, pass with no issues, and maybe really think the school by and large is doing a flawless job, but i need to semi vent.

Peace out

woot!

I don't understand why people complain so much. Yeah there are small details on our tests but there are small details on the boards also (i.e. epidemiology for diseases, what % of population gets affected etc.). These tests aren't meant to be a cakewalk, and if they were, people would probably complain anyway about it being too easy. If these exams are a problem, the boards are going to be hell for you. Changing your studying technique would be a good idea. I'm not one of those people that honors, but if you do the work the tests are passable. The idea is that we shouldn't be spoon fed everything (Plummer style), but we should be able to extract the pertinent information from a lecture or question (boards style)

Side Note:Friedman is not as bad a lecturer as some people make her out to be(minus the limbic system lecture). She does a good job of telling us what is important for the test, and her questions arent detailed either. (The febrile seizure question she wrote out RED AND BOLDED, it doesn't get any clearer than that).

I don't understand why people complain so much. Yeah there are small details on our tests but there are small details on the boards also (i.e. epidemiology for diseases, what % of population gets affected etc.). These tests aren't meant to be a cakewalk, and if they were, people would probably complain anyway about it being too easy. If these exams are a problem, the boards are going to be hell for you. Changing your studying technique would be a good idea. I'm not one of those people that honors, but if you do the work the tests are passable. The idea is that we shouldn't be spoon fed everything (Plummer style), but we should be able to extract the pertinent information from a lecture or question (boards style)

Side Note:Friedman is not as bad a lecturer as some people make her out to be(minus the limbic system lecture). She does a good job of telling us what is important for the test, and her questions arent detailed either. (The febrile seizure question she wrote out RED AND BOLDED, it doesn't get any clearer than that).

I want to reply to everyone but I cant at the moment, but firstly I want to thank everyone for reading and discussing these issues.

I am just responding to you Ex because you are the last one here.

Lets start with your side note, ironically enough that is problem number uno with friedman. She talks off the top of her head, and alot of what she says seems to be in effect a side note. Ok, we should know that by now and study every tiny detail off the slide. But wait! What about when she throws in things that are not on the slide? For instance the question about the most common cause of seizues or whatnot, the answer was fetal anoxia, which albeit she did stress, but did not every say it was the most common reason, in fact she and Dr Sagan both mentioned 3 or 4 other reasons that were on the test.)

Lets not even mention the fact that she was clearly wrong during lecture about a point that she said during the review was "fair game", even though the review itself is not mandatory.

Also this lecture was one that she actually knows about due to her 25 years in research. What about the other lecture that she stole from other lecturers and had absolutely no clue why those slides were there, or what to say about them?!

I have alot to say, but it makes no sense for me to waste my energy complaining when the bottom line is I have to get through like everyone else.

I actually had no problem with the questions that "made me think" but if we picked apart the test a majority of the test questions from the last two were badly worded, and really not preparing us for the boards at all!

I appreciate the critique on my study habits, but trust me I do what I need to do, but I don't appreciate being mocked with a test that doesn't give two shizzles about my actual knowledge of the material, just how many random facts i memorized off a slide! I think its very sad that the school admins read this thread and think that a majority of the students feel the tests are fair and consistent.

And most of you are forgetting about the time factor. If we had time no one would have any issues with any of their tests, but the facts are that most of the lectures will be towards the end, some of us will have a cpr course for 9 hours on sat or sunday, and some even have icc on monday tue etc.

Oh I know, its med school, so the ridiculous scheduling, and the complete and utter disrespect of the students is "ok".

I go to every single minute of every single lecture and review and to say we Freidman is a good lecturer is a stretch. She only improved slightly when she started making "diagrams" that of course barely correlated to her lecture questions.

To her credit she was the only one who admitted that we were "experiments" and that they were being proven right.

I have alot of friends in med schools all over the country. They are being taught better. They are being told they will get through. If they do poorly they are approached and asked if they need help, tutors, private live help, etc.,

now just to reply to the poster who mentioned that the test from nuero 1 test 2 was easy, why do you think that? They cant fail us all out, and trust me many people failed or were in danger. This time no effort was made by course directors to check that the lectures given were up to par, or that the questions were clean. How can a question that a professor stressed so strongly in class have no answer? Its a joke.

Shall i continue? Did any other med students that you are friendly with have a test after their vacations? Mine didnt.

I have never seen more burnt out disgruntled students in my life.

a majority of the test questions from the last two were badly worded, and really not preparing us for the boards at all!

do you have any idea what the comlex is like? 400 poorly worded questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOnt get me wrong i hate the work load, the test schedule and all of that but i didnt expect anything other than that so im not going crazy over it. if the tests havent been fair then why has the average been around 80 for a bunch of them. also why does every single question have to come from powerpoints. we are medical students and i know people that havent even opened robbins or COA. if we are really worried about the boards we have to be reading already

I want to reply to everyone but I cant at the moment, but firstly I want to thank everyone for reading and discussing these issues.

I am just responding to you Ex because you are the last one here.

Lets start with your side note, ironically enough that is problem number uno with friedman. She talks off the top of her head, and alot of what she says seems to be in effect a side note. Ok, we should know that by now and study every tiny detail off the slide. But wait! What about when she throws in things that are not on the slide? For instance the question about the most common cause of seizues or whatnot, the answer was fetal anoxia, which albeit she did stress, but did not every say it was the most common reason, in fact she and Dr Sagan both mentioned 3 or 4 other reasons that were on the test.)

Lets not even mention the fact that she was clearly wrong during lecture about a point that she said during the review was "fair game", even though the review itself is not mandatory.

Also this lecture was one that she actually knows about due to her 25 years in research. What about the other lecture that she stole from other lecturers and had absolutely no clue why those slides were there, or what to say about them?!

I have alot to say, but it makes no sense for me to waste my energy complaining when the bottom line is I have to get through like everyone else.

I actually had no problem with the questions that "made me think" but if we picked apart the test a majority of the test questions from the last two were badly worded, and really not preparing us for the boards at all!

I appreciate the critique on my study habits, but trust me I do what I need to do, but I don't appreciate being mocked with a test that doesn't give two shizzles about my actual knowledge of the material, just how many random facts i memorized off a slide! I think its very sad that the school admins read this thread and think that a majority of the students feel the tests are fair and consistent.

And most of you are forgetting about the time factor. If we had time no one would have any issues with any of their tests, but the facts are that most of the lectures will be towards the end, some of us will have a cpr course for 9 hours on sat or sunday, and some even have icc on monday tue etc.

Oh I know, its med school, so the ridiculous scheduling, and the complete and utter disrespect of the students is "ok".

I go to every single minute of every single lecture and review and to say we Freidman is a good lecturer is a stretch. She only improved slightly when she started making "diagrams" that of course barely correlated to her lecture questions.

To her credit she was the only one who admitted that we were "experiments" and that they were being proven right.

I have alot of friends in med schools all over the country. They are being taught better. They are being told they will get through. If they do poorly they are approached and asked if they need help, tutors, private live help, etc.,

now just to reply to the poster who mentioned that the test from nuero 1 test 2 was easy, why do you think that? They cant fail us all out, and trust me many people failed or were in danger. This time no effort was made by course directors to check that the lectures given were up to par, or that the questions were clean. How can a question that a professor stressed so strongly in class have no answer? Its a joke.

Shall i continue? Did any other med students that you are friendly with have a test after their vacations? Mine didnt.

I have never seen more burnt out disgruntled students in my life.

I will talk about neuro 1 test 2 right now. 40 neuroanatomy and there was only one difficult picture in there. People should have gotten 5 wrong max on those. Then all the clinical cases maybe there was six of them which we knew would be the same exact questions and they were. Once again you shouldn't have missed any of those. Then there was ten plummer questions which we knew were coming. Then torres told u what exactly to study in the review. He had 20 questions I believe and he told u at least 15 of them so lets see you knew 40 were anatomy, 6 were cases we had seen, 10 plummer at least 15 that torres so you knew what to expect on 70% of the exam. Now do all your friends at other medical schools know 70% of the info before the exam so they only have to focus on 30% of the material. And as it turns out the rest of those questions were not difficult at all. Oh yeah and the average was 88 and you don't think that was easy then????

Also, now neuro 2 test 2 once again I don't understand how someone can fail we knew what wityrol, plummer, and gilliar were going to ask (except dynamed one). So that was about 20 free points I believe. So now if people failed with twenty free points what would have happened if people actually had to study all the pathology and didn't know what to expect! It is beyond me that is all. I could see people failing trying to learn everything but plummer and wityrol made it simpler for everyone. That's it! Good luck to all on neuro 3! Oh and if we had the answers to 70% of the comlex before we took it, I think we'd all be able to pass also just like the second test of Neuro1! :hardy:

DOnt get me wrong i hate the work load, the test schedule and all of that but i didnt expect anything other than that so im not going crazy over it. if the tests havent been fair then why has the average been around 80 for a bunch of them. also why does every single question have to come from powerpoints. we are medical students and i know people that havent even opened robbins or COA. if we are really worried about the boards we have to be reading already

I agree. All I hear is its not from the powerpoints or we are not ready for the boards blah blah blah. To get ready for the boards you should be reading texts and not powerpoints. The powerpoints will not prepare you for the boards, they will prepare you for failure on the boards.

I will talk about neuro 1 test 2 right now. 40 neuroanatomy and there was only one difficult picture in there. People should have gotten 5 wrong max on those. Then all the clinical cases maybe there was six of them which we knew would be the same exact questions and they were. Once again you shouldn't have missed any of those. Then there was ten plummer questions which we knew were coming. Then torres told u what exactly to study in the review. He had 20 questions I believe and he told u at least 15 of them so lets see you knew 40 were anatomy, 6 were cases we had seen, 10 plummer at least 15 that torres so you knew what to expect on 70% of the exam. Now do all your friends at other medical schools know 70% of the info before the exam so they only have to focus on 30% of the material. And as it turns out the rest of those questions were not difficult at all. Oh yeah and the average was 88 and you don't think that was easy then????

Once again I respect your opinion, but I think you missed my point. I agree that the test was easy, but the reason it was so was due to the low average on the first test, because too many people were in danger of failing.
Also, now neuro 2 test 2 once again I don't understand how someone can fail we knew what wityrol, plummer, and gilliar were going to ask (except dynamed one). So that was about 20 free points I believe. So now if people failed with twenty free points what would have happened if people actually had to study all the pathology and didn't know what to expect! It is beyond me that is all. I could see people failing trying to learn everything but plummer and wityrol made it simpler for everyone. That's it! Good luck to all on neuro 3! Oh and if we had the answers to 70% of the comlex before we took it, I think we'd all be able to pass also just like the second test of Neuro1! :hardy:

I believe if not for plummer and Witryol (it was not 20 questions) many many more people would have failed the test. And again, you need to put into perspective the amount of time that was given between the two tests. Do you believe in recovery time? Yes there was less material on this test, but they literally crammed the info into the last week of the course. 7 class days then test, 7 class days then test. You are also failing to mention the anatomy part of the course on top of it all. Originally all three tests were once again supposed to be on the same day. In other schools when one course is heavy, the other one is light, so they can focus on anatomy, biochem while not worrying about their other course before a test.

As for your quote to ex above, what are we supposed to do? Read the book? Im sorry but I dont have the time to do well on the test and study all the materials from the book, even though i know I need it for the boards. I like the fact that the second years do not have afternoon classes, because it actually gives them time to breath and study the way they need to.

We have the longest class days then any school in the country!

I think the best way to help us prepare for the boards is really to sit us don on the first day and discuss them. The format, the best review books to study, the best courses to take, form a committee, whatever it takes.

Right now I want to survive.

edit: I just want other people who are applying to know that all the complaining is situational, as a whole the teachers do care alot about the students, and the classes themselves are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The rotations are great in 3rd and 4th year and many students get great residencies as well. Its just the new policies that are actually already being amended for next year, and will continue to do so until they are perfected, but right now some of 2011 is having a difficult time with them, and nuero.

Wow, it seems that what I heard about NYCOM is true. Does anybody actually like the school?

I don't understand...it's not like they opened their doors for the first time this year. How is it that after being open for 30 years, people are still going through organizational problems?

This is frustrating...

Wow, it seems that what I heard about NYCOM is true. Does anybody actually like the school?

I don't understand...it's not like they opened their doors for the first time this year. How is it that after being open for 30 years, people are still going through organizational problems?

This is frustrating...

I love it here! It's just Neuro that sucks :laugh:.

Don't worry, by March, we'll all be much happier in this thread. Also, understand that we're only about 10-15 people out of a class of 288 on this thread ;)

I love it here! It's just Neuro that sucks :laugh:.

Don't worry, by March, we'll all be much happier in this thread. Also, understand that we're only about 10-15 people out of a class of 288 on this thread ;)

agreed.

and even out of those 288 only ~264 are lecture.

This is frustrating...

Well its hard to say that im in love with doing so much work and going out a real real lot less than i used to. but as a whole its really not that bad. like jp said this is only 10-15 people. its pretty easy to pick about 10 questions from a 100 question test. but on the other hand if you do your work its pretty easy to get 70 of them right. we did something to get in here so obviously we are all pretty smart. and for all of these terrible questions i dont think anyone in this class will forget the most common cause of epilepsy because there has been such a stink about it. 1 month until elk and simon take over and something tells me it will be a much better run thread.
And also lets give some credit to gilliar he ran a real good system. and it was his first time. keep up the good work wolfy

Once again I respect your opinion, but I think you missed my point. I agree that the test was easy, but the reason it was so was due to the low average on the first test, because too many people were in danger of failing.

I believe if not for plummer and Witryol (it was not 20 questions) many many more people would have failed the test. And again, you need to put into perspective the amount of time that was given between the two tests. Do you believe in recovery time? Yes there was less material on this test, but they literally crammed the info into the last week of the course. 7 class days then test, 7 class days then test. You are also failing to mention the anatomy part of the course on top of it all. Originally all three tests were once again supposed to be on the same day. In other schools when one course is heavy, the other one is light, so they can focus on anatomy, biochem while not worrying about their other course before a test.

As for your quote to ex above, what are we supposed to do? Read the book? Im sorry but I dont have the time to do well on the test and study all the materials from the book, even though i know I need it for the boards. I like the fact that the second years do not have afternoon classes, because it actually gives them time to breath and study the way they need to.

We have the longest class days then any school in the country!

I think the best way to help us prepare for the boards is really to sit us don on the first day and discuss them. The format, the best review books to study, the best courses to take, form a committee, whatever it takes.

Right now I want to survive.

edit: I just want other people who are applying to know that all the complaining is situational, as a whole the teachers do care alot about the students, and the classes themselves are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The rotations are great in 3rd and 4th year and many students get great residencies as well. Its just the new policies that are actually already being amended for next year, and will continue to do so until they are perfected, but right now some of 2011 is having a difficult time with them, and nuero.

This is my last post on here because it is ridiculous now. For neuro 2 part 2 I counted 20-21 questions from plummer and wityrol that no one should have missed. Okay they load us down the week after a test? Would you rather have them load us down the same week of the test. Oh we have no time to recuperate! Big deal! What happens when u r about to leave a 12 hour shift at the hospital and a huge car wreck comes to hospital. Are you going to say I just did 12 hours of work so if guys from the car wreck could please come back in two weeks so that i am fresh and recuperated and then i can save your lives. I am sorry I cannot intubate you now because I have been loaded down with 12 hour shifts for one whole week so please try to breath on your own until I am fully recuperated. Peace and good luck to all!:eek:

Okay they load us down the week after a test? Would you rather have them load us down the same week of the test. Oh we have no time to recuperate! Big deal! What happens when u r about to leave a 12 hour shift at the hospital and a huge car wreck comes to hospital. Are you going to say I just did 12 hours of work so if guys from the car wreck could please come back in two weeks so that i am fresh and recuperated and then i can save your lives. I am sorry I cannot intubate you now because I have been loaded down with 12 hour shifts for one whole week so please try to breath on your own until I am fully recuperated.

The majority of physician's will not be ER doctors. This is not that relevant of an example to most of us. By that same logic, teachers should study in environments where they are surrounded by screaming kids. I'm not really arguing in defense of their statement. Just sayin'. I have nothing else of value to add. This whole experience just keeps getting funnier to me.

Well its hard to say that im in love with doing so much work and going out a real real lot less than i used to. but as a whole its really not that bad. like jp said this is only 10-15 people. its pretty easy to pick about 10 questions from a 100 question test. but on the other hand if you do your work its pretty easy to get 70 of them right. we did something to get in here so obviously we are all pretty smart. and for all of these terrible questions i dont think anyone in this class will forget the most common cause of epilepsy because there has been such a stink about it. 1 month until elk and simon take over and something tells me it will be a much better run thread.
And also lets give some credit to gilliar he ran a real good system. and it was his first time. keep up the good work wolfy

i think that is part of med school in general and not just specific to nycom! :laugh:

Right... and it is probably what the majority of us feel. of course there will be people who arent effected at all and then the constant complainers about how horrible it is. But like everything else most of us are hanging around under the fat of the bell curve

Yah imagine that: the truth is denying students credit for incorrect answers. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
NYCOM is not providing us with what we paid for. Some of the faculty who care about the students admit this themselves. I have friends in other med schools and they are not going through the crap we are putting up with.

Their disrespect to students, false advertisement, and theft of our dollar is going to come back to bite them on the *** one day. What goes around comes around. You won't be seeing too many students picking up the phone when NYCOM calls them up for a donation. I sure wont.

Its funny but I remeber ur thread in the beginning of the year and it was so optimistic and in love with NYCOM. Now it reminds me alot of our thread last year, its like a constant cycle at NYCOM.

But don't worry it gets better, 2nd yr is def easier than 1st and then in a couple of yrs u graduate. Only a couple more months.

Its funny but I remeber ur thread in the beginning of the year and it was so optimistic and in love with NYCOM. Now it reminds me alot of our thread last year, its like a constant cycle at NYCOM.

But don't worry it gets better, 2nd yr is def easier than 1st and then in a couple of yrs u graduate. Only a couple more months.

If only you can say the same thing for those who already failed out.

This is frustrating...

You gotta remember that you can't judge a school by just reading random opinions of a couple of students. It is much common and easier for people to talk about things that they don't like.
Yes, the school has been around for a while. And No, it is not that bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. I actually like the school and the way they organize our lectures. I like the fact that our classmates are really nice and ~ 85% of the lecturers are actually really good. I learn a lot in this couple of months I have been in school. The other 25% is not so bad either. I am alsoo impress with anatomy department and OMM. The faculties are actually good.) There are only two things I don't like about this school. That is the fact that I have to deal with a couple of "half empty glass" type people and listen to their BS from time to time. Another thing is Dr. Friedman.

The faculties in NYCOM are made up of experienced DOs, MDs and Phds in their respective fields. If you find youself disliking all or most of the faculties (and guest speakers), don't you think there is something wrong with your perspection?
I am not trying to say NYCOM is a perfect school. It has its ups and downs just like every other schools. Just give the school a chance and be a little optimistic.

To be a med student, there are some expectations that need to be met. You can't just expect every lecturer to spoon fed you and the school to baby sit you through your education. Negativity surrounding among some students is just unbelievable.

You gotta remember that you can't judge a school by just reading random opinions of a couple of students. It is much common and easier for people to talk about things that they don't like.
Yes, the school has been around for a while. And No, it is not that bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. I actually like the school and the way they organize our lectures. I like the fact that our classmates are really nice and ~ 85% of the lecturers are actually really good. I learn a lot in this couple of months I have been in school. The other 25% is not so bad either. I am alsoo impress with anatomy department and OMM. The faculties are actually good.) There are only two things I don't like about this school. That is the fact that I have to deal with a couple of "half empty glass" type people and listen to their BS from time to time. Another thing is Dr. Friedman.

The faculties in NYCOM are made up of experienced DOs, MDs and Phds in their respective fields. If you find youself disliking all or most of the faculties (and guest speakers), don't you think there is something wrong with your perspection?

To be a med student, there are some expectations that need to be met. You can't just expect every lecturers to spoon fed you and the school to baby sit you through your education. Negativity surrounding among some students is just unbelievable.

yea right...give me a break. Do you have any idea what you are looking at when Dr. Plummer throws a picture of a slide on the projector? How does someone learn pathology when they don’t know histology? If we had a different lecturer for pathology who wasn’t as nice, some of us would be royally screwed. In what other school do you learn the abnormal before you learn the normal? What did you learn in the musculoskeletal system from Dr. Simon other than memorizing his random pictures? Does it make any sense to learn about autoimmune diseases when you don't know anything about immunology? or how about the orthopedics guy who lectured to us in the musculoskeletal system about brown sequard syndrome and babinski sign ,which are topics that belong in neuroscience? How can you call any of that a well ordered series of lectures? Do you enjoy getting lectures that are meant for residents? I don't know any other school in the country that gives their firsty year med students resident lectures. When 90% of the class clears the lecture hall like the last one with Dr. Segan that should tell you that something is wrong.

yea right...give me a break. Do you have any idea what you are looking at when Dr. Plummer throws a picture of a slide on the projector? How does someone learn pathology when they don't know histology? If we had a different lecturer for pathology who wasn't as nice, some of us would be royally screwed. In what other school do you learn the abnormal before you learn the normal? What did you learn in the musculoskeletal system from Dr. Simon other than memorizing his random pictures? Does it make any sense to learn about autoimmune diseases when you don't know anything about immunology? or how about the orthopedics guy who lectured to us in the musculoskeletal system about brown sequard syndrome and babinski sign ,which are topics that belong in neuroscience? How can you call any of that a well ordered series of lectures? Do you enjoy getting lectures that are meant for residents? I don't know any other school in the country that gives their firsty year med students resident lectures. When 90% of the class clears the lecture hall like the last one with Dr. Segan that should tell you that something is wrong.

You are missing the point. There are multiple layers of learning. That is, you can't just learn a topic and dig deep right away expecting to learn everything about that topic the first time. First, the terms and concepts are introduced superficially. Then, you learn more about them as time goes on. That's the way the lectures are intended. For example, when plummer shows her slide, she wasn't expecting us to be able to read and diagnose diseases like a pathologist. She is just introducing a variety of disorders and unique aspects of them from a pathologist point of view. This is our first step to learning. As time go on, you will get a chance to dig deeper and have better understanding.
To make my point even more clearer, let me explain this. When the orthopedic guy was talking about babinski sign and brown sequard syndrome, he wasn't expecting us to know that babinski sign represents UMN lesion and how brown sequard syndrome affects different tracts specifically. He was marely introducing the term and broad concept. We learn it deeper in the neuro system.
When Dr. Simon was teaching us, his intent was not to make us become expects in Rhematology. He was giving us enough info to get us started and learn about all those varieties of diseases and ways to diagnosing. When we are at another layer of learning later, we will have a better and thorough understanding. He helped us get started with basic concepts, so we can dig deeper if we want to. We will encounter these concepts again and we will be loaded with basic tools. Immunology wasn't emphasized because it wasn't needed for the purpose of the lecture.
When Dr. Crista give lecture that was prepared for residents, she didn't taught us like residents. She intended to introduce and give us better understanding in fundamental concepts such as how SSRIs, TCAs and new and old antipsychotics can be used for different disorders such as bipolar and mania, etc in different ways. The Lecture was meant to be very general. You will learn much more detail and in depth.
I can keep on going and going if you want me too.
My point is, we need to realize how much materials we have learned so far in this very few months. Sometimes you tends to neglect how much progress you've made.
So far, we have the basic tools and understandings for different subjects. It is learning in progress. We are by no means expect yet, but at least we are ready to read/skim through books for further understanding for the materials if we want to. That's where the books come in. Whether we will or not is our choice. But for the amount of time the school devote for lectures we are having, they have serve their purpose. We can't expect much further for the school to teach us every single thing for now at this layer of learning.

Students leave the class early not because the lecturer is bad, but because they can easily be streamed. Sometimes, when we don't pre-read the stuffs or if the materials are new for the first time, it is very hard to follow what the lecturer is trying to say. I leave the class too if I am not understanding. I stream it later just to realize how it is not the lecturer's fault, but my inability to understand that particular concept in class right away.

I am not trying to be mean or being an a**. I understand the frustrations some of the students are going through. I am sorry for those who are doing bad. All I am trying to say is, don't be so pessimistic. You inadvertently create atmosphere that is very negative for all the students.
The school is by no means perfect, but when you are blaming all on school, that's just not right.
If you try to learn everything they throw at you at this layer of learning and have understanding of its purpose, you will be good. You med school life will be much better and happier. Trust me. I am only trying to help.

By the way if you want to see what normal histology looks like take a look at the Histology CD they gave us at the beginning of the year. The CD that Elkowitz said we should take a look at at the beginning of each thread. I realize this isn't being taught to us but we have the resources to learn it. All you need to learn histology is pictures, tons of pictures. As for being taught things in musculo-skeletal that pertain to muscles and bones, how strange. What the h*ll where they thinking there. And did not learning the what the Babinski reflex really was until neuro hurt you or others some way. And even more so why couldnt you type it into google and see what it was. It would been ridiculous not to learn about rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis in the MS thread. they are some of the most common diseases we will see. And Simon said that we will learn even more in immuno. If you havent noticed we see things more than once. Its kind of a great way to teach. Think about how much we have seen uncommon conditions like hemiballismus. The think about how many lextures spoke about Alzheimer's. Its how it works. If we only heard about babinski once we may not remember it. We hear it in musculoskeletal, neuro, DPR. They beat it into our heads. That is good. You tell me something 4 or 5 times i will remember it. It help the Long Term Potentiation, which we learned more than once. Like MCAT said lets start looking at the positves. There only one friedman, but there are a ton of good lecturers and they need some credit.

NYCOM has a lot of negatives, but there are a lot of positives as well. My biggest complaints with the school is that the administration doesn't care what students have to say about anything. You're right, it will come back to bite them because it's going to affect their alumni donations one day.

The lecturers aren't all that bad for the most part. Some people they bring in are EXCELLENT lecturers. Some are boring, but get the point across, and some like Friedman, are just terrible.

You have to take the good with the bad though. During second year, some of our worst lectures so far have come from MD's from prestigious universities. For example, we had a pediatric cardiology lecture from a professor at cornell-weill and it may have been IMO one of the worst lectures of the year. The guy obviously knew what he was talking about, he just couldn't get his point across. Better schools won't necessarily get you better lectures. My favorite lectures happen to be from the academic fellows who spend tons of time preparing their lectures and make it very board oriented. Like I said though, you have to take the good with the bad.

I also understand a lot of people have failed out from both classes this year. Some people have extenuating circumstances and the truth is, it's just not fair to them. I believe that everyone should be allowed 1 makeup exam over the course of the year to be taken when you wish, but that's it. Other than that, students shouldn't be able to make up every test they fail. It was amazing how many kids failed last year constantly because they knew they could just take the makeup exam. I also think that a failed OMM practical shouldn't make you fail the system, but the truth is, I think more people are failing from failing the exams then the OMM practical. I know a lot of people have failed out, but, the truth is, many people are at NYCOM because they didn't get into allopathic schools. NYCOM offers a lot of kids a chance that many other schools won't offer them. Now, most students take advantage of that chance but there are definitely students who a) take it for granted or b) medical school is not the right thing for them. It's unfortunate and I have a feeling that the failure rate is a lot higher here than at other medical schools, but, you can't really compare this to other medical schools, especially allopathic schools, where the schools DON'T take chances on kids. Everyone of those students has strong MCATs and GPAs. It's not necessarily the case here. The way I look at it is that NYCOM gave us all chances, deal with the bad stuff, complain about it, but in the end, work your butt off to succeed. It's an expensive mistake not to succeed here and it's unfortunate that's the case.

And again, it gets better with second year, so just push through for the next few months. You guys are almost there, and us second years are almost out of here and into the hospital rotations.

O, and 2 more things...

for the people complaining about having lectures where they didn't know background material, that's ridiculous.

You knew you were going to a systems based school when you enrolled. The truth is, there's only 2 ways to teach medicine...systems based, or sciences based. Either way, you can't learn everything with full knowledge of the subject. If you do science based, you may learn your pharmacology, but you won't be able to understand why or what the meds are used for. It's the same for every discipline. Personally I like systems based, yes the first week of a thread is usually difficult, but over time everything comes together. No matter what they teach first, it's always going to be the toughest to understand. The overlap is great though and everything you learn seems to come easier and easier as well as reinforce everything else. I think this is one of the reasons second year is easier as well. Even though we're doing GI now, there's so much overlap from everything we've already learned that things just seem to come quicker and quicker while at the same time it reinforces old material. Everything is difficult at first, bu it only gets easier as time goes on.

The other thing I wanted to mention, is it's very unfair that NYCOM has dpc AND lecture based. The DPC kids can't apparently fail out of NYCOM. That is a very unfair thing. Anyone that has failed out I bet regrets not doing DPC and the truth is, anyone that's failed out should sue NYCOM for this fact. It's not fair that they take the same amount of money from 2 students when one has the ability to fail out and the other doesn't. DPC kids should be held to the same standards we all are.

There are a lot of bad DO lectures, the MD from cornell IMO was way better than that other DO cardiologist Digionnvani or whatever. Ugh and I hate Svelich or whatever the hell his name is.

Alot of your studying has to be done by yourself, try and get ur review books and go through it with ur classes seeing whats important and what you need to brush up on.

And yes people fail out, its life but if you study ur behind off theres a good chance you won't fail. Nobody's going to hold your hand, just do what you gotta do.

O, and 2 more things...

for the people complaining about having lectures where they didn't know background material, that's ridiculous.

You knew you were going to a systems based school when you enrolled. The truth is, there's only 2 ways to teach medicine...systems based, or sciences based. Either way, you can't learn everything with full knowledge of the subject. If you do science based, you may learn your pharmacology, but you won't be able to understand why or what the meds are used for. It's the same for every discipline. Personally I like systems based, yes the first week of a thread is usually difficult, but over time everything comes together. No matter what they teach first, it's always going to be the toughest to understand. The overlap is great though and everything you learn seems to come easier and easier as well as reinforce everything else. I think this is one of the reasons second year is easier as well. Even though we're doing GI now, there's so much overlap from everything we've already learned that things just seem to come quicker and quicker while at the same time it reinforces old material. Everything is difficult at first, bu it only gets easier as time goes on.

The other thing I wanted to mention, is it's very unfair that NYCOM has dpc AND lecture based. The DPC kids can't apparently fail out of NYCOM. That is a very unfair thing. Anyone that has failed out I bet regrets not doing DPC and the truth is, anyone that's failed out should sue NYCOM for this fact. It's not fair that they take the same amount of money from 2 students when one has the ability to fail out and the other doesn't. DPC kids should be held to the same standards we all are.

Sure we can. It's in the handbook. But just because we can doesn't mean we do.

have any dpc kids failed out yet?

Just curious.

YCOM is the most unorganized medical school in the U.S. I challenge anyone to refute this. Many of you that have applied there have an idea of how unorganized it is because they tend to lose many files and their mailing is very random. I am a second year student, and half of this year we didn't know what our schedule will be for the coming month, until a couple of weeks before. It is the second biggest medical school in the U.S., which means that it has one of the highest incomes, but at the same time it is the poorest medical school. It has the lowest accpetance numbers (avg. GPA, MCAT), it has the lowest board scores out of any D.O. school, and it has the lowest retention rate out of any medical school in the U.S. Anyone that knows NYCOM knows that it is only there to make money. Most people choose NYCOM either because they didn't get into anywhere else (as one of the deans openly admits), or they choose NYCOM only because it is close to home and they want to live at home.
The administration doesn't care about the students. One of the students is pregnant and is due around the time of board exams. She made a simple request for them to accomodate her by giving her a bigger chair for the exam since she can't fit in the seats in the auditorium in which we take our exams. They rejected her request!! Dealing with the administration is sometimes like dealing with the mafia.
Each incoming class has around 330 people in it. There are around 600 people studying at the NYCOM campus at the same time, including the first year class, the second year class, and those that are there for their third year (which don't make up for the number of people that have dropped out, therefore only around 600 total). It has a total of 3 small buildings for all of these people, which are shared with the PA students, nutrition students, etc. The library is very small and very often during exams studying space is hard to find. The air conditioning is often broken. In the summer, they set it to extremely low tempratures sometimes, and in the winter it is just as unpredictable. Some people might not think that this is a problem, but it is extremely annoying when you have to bring a jacket with you in the summer, or when you're freezing during an exam.
The education is very poor at NYCOM. The following are just some of the examples from the second year courses, but the first year courses are just as bad. For some courses, like cardiology and gastroenterology, the teaching is so horrible that they give us a "review" at the end of the course and they actually give us the questions to the exam including some of the answers, because they know that nobody will pass if they don't. On the other hand, for some courses, like dermatology and toxicology, they give us a review in which they tell us what we 'need to know' for the exam, and then they give us something completely different on the actual exam.
Pediatrics is on a category by itself. It was so poorly taught, and the exam questions were so bad that they ended up either throwing out or accepting multiple answers for a third of the exam, and 30 people still failed it! If you are thinking that they will change something about the course after something like this happens, you are wrong. Last year was just as bad. Last year, they ended up just passing everyone, because the average score was something like a 30%, and nothing changed about the course for this year.
OMM, which is what is unique about D.O. schools, and is partly the reason that I chose NYCOM over an M.D. school, is a complete joke and waste of time at NYCOM. The way that they have taught us OMM has made most people reject it. A few years ago, NYCOM had a very good OMM department and had some amazing teachers. For political reasons that have been kept away from us, almost all of those teachers left NYCOM in the last two years. There are only two OMM professors that stayed, one taking over the first year and one taking over the second year. The course director for the second year is incompetent and doesn't know how to talk. I doubt that there are more than a few people that actually respect him in the whole school. Since the beginning of the year, they have aquired two new full time OMM faculty, but four teachers for 600 students is still pretty pathetic in my opinion. NYCOM has a fellowship program in which the students accepted into the program get their tuition paid for in return for spending an additional year at NYCOM to be OMM fellows. In the past, about 3 people applied for every position into the program. This year, they didn't even have enough applying to the program, forcing them to extend the deadline so that they could go around begging people to become fellows.
Choose your school very carefully. Some people say that it doesn't matter what school you go to and that it is all in your hands to educate yourself. These people are just trying to make themelves feel better for going to a bad school. You do have to work hard no matter where you go, and you are responsible for doing the work, but anyone with common sense knows that you will get more and do better if you go to a good school as opposd to going to a bad school. There are two people that I know that dropped out of NYCOM after the first year and started over at a different medical school, and both say that their new school isn't even comparable to NYCOM. This brings me to the next point. 10-20% of people drop out of NYCOM, mostly after the first year. If it is not a bad school, then why do so many people run away?
Going to NYCOM is like going to war. The good thing is that it has brought us students together, as is what typically happens in times of crisis. Studying all of the material in medical school is hard enough by itself. What is going on at NYCOM not only doesn't make it easier, but in many instances proves to hinder our ability to learn. Those that are concerned about the reputation of their school will try to argue otherwise, but NYCOM is a school to stay away from for the next few years at least.
user_offline.gif

now this was a quote from a student in 2005, seems like nycom has issues in the past similar to today, i have an interview at the end of Feb, and if i get in it will be my last ch pick, i will choose TORO-NY any day over NYCOM, the only advantage to NYCOM is the hospital rot due to the fact its been around for longer

now this was a quote from a student in 2005, seems like nycom has issues in the past similar to today, i have an interview at the end of Feb, and if i get in it will be my last ch pick, i will choose TORO-NY any day over NYCOM, the only advantage to NYCOM is the hospital rot due to the fact its been around for longer

so that person was a second year student in 2005, 3 years ago. obviously nycom isn't perfect but it's really not -that- bad. it's certainly not as bad as that one person's (who, in theory, is now doing his/her residency and relying partly on nycom's reputation in the clinical world) rant/opinion makes it out to be. :rolleyes:

Find a quote from the year 2005 posted by a random member, copy and paste it here. Is that the best you can do?
I love it when a pre-med just rush in and try to prove a point.
You don't have to justify your reason (nobody cares!) for going to Touro, which may be a wonderful school.

By the way, do you know that you can find a negative post of almost every single med school on SDN very easily?. For the short time that I was around on SDN, I have seen those.
oh, wait a min, maybe I won't be able to find any negative posts about the Touro NY because... ... well, we all know the reason. Don't we?

LOL I can't believe people would base medical school decisions based on random ranting on the internet. Couldn't I just as easily say "OMG TORO[sic] IS DA BEST CUZ ITS IN NYC AND THE OMM LABS R NEW"

Hmmm...new curriculum, new dean, new faculty, schedules for the entire academic year are released in august, a study room with over 200 cubicles for studying, and incoming class this year was 300 I hear. Subtract 40 problem based students and you have 260 students in the lecture hall. NYCOMs 3 buildings are far from small. NYCOM I has 4 floors plus a 3 floor library, NYCOM II has 4 floors, including 2 300-seat lecture halls, a gym, OMM lab, conference rooms, offices, etc.., and NYCOM III has 4 floors, including a large auditorium, clinic with tons of exam rooms, cafeteria, anatomy lab, etc..

edit: I just saw from your post history that you're the same person who was whining that your boyfriend got rejected from NYCOM because of a poor interview. Please by all means, don't come here lol.

NYCOM is a disaster. There is no question about it. I heard a number of faculty members saying it themselves.

Just take a look at the scheduling of classes for the first-year students. They placed the micky mouse classes, like Dr. Gilliard's lecture on the history of DO's, in the first week, and left 95% of the lectures to be taught the next week....right before the exam. Now, what kind of an idiot makes that kind of a schedule?

NYCOM is a disaster. There is no question about it. I heard a number of faculty members saying it themselves.

Just take a look at the scheduling of classes for the first-year students. They placed the micky mouse classes, like Dr. Gilliard's lecture on the history of DO's, in the first week, and left 95% of the lectures to be taught the next week....right before the exam. Now, what kind of an idiot makes that kind of a schedule?

:laugh: So NYCOM is a bad school because they gave you "easy" lectures during the first week and "harder" lectures closer to the test? :laugh: Dude, are you for real? What's stopping you from reading the lectures ahead of time? We had pharmacology lectures with what seemed like hundreds of drugs 4 days before our test. Instead of whining about it and complaining about how terrible the school is we actually *read ahead and memorized the drugs ahead of time*. (GASP) - the thought of not being spoonfed is scary, isn't it?

and who said medical school was supposed to be easy? no one is stopping you from reading ahead or streaming the lectures from last year.

seriously. :rolleyes:

:laugh: So NYCOM is a bad school because they gave you "easy" lectures during the first week and "harder" lectures closer to the test? :laugh: Dude, are you for real? What's stopping you from reading the lectures ahead of time? We had pharmacology lectures with what seemed like hundreds of drugs 4 days before our test. Instead of whining about it and complaining about how terrible the school is we actually *read ahead and memorized the drugs ahead of time*. (GASP) - the thought of not being spoonfed is scary, isn't it?

wow, this thread had devolved. I really dont hate every aspect of the school, and many things must change. But If you are a third year or beyond its hard to compare to what we are all going through during this thread.

We have a two week work cycle, which is about 7 days of classes for each test so sometimes its hard between the schedule of mandatory classes and the short testing cycle to really accomplish alot of "reading ahead" time before the test. I try, and any other suggestions like those of the other first and second years in this thread are always appreciated, not arrogant, holier then thou statements from people like you.

wow, this thread had devolved. I really dont hate every aspect of the school, and many things must change. But If you are a third year or beyond its hard to compare to what we are all going through during this thread.

We have a two week work cycle, which is about 7 days of classes for each test so sometimes its hard between the schedule of mandatory classes and the short testing cycle to really accomplish alot of "reading ahead" time before the test. I try, and any other suggestions like those of the other first and second years in this thread are always appreciated, not arrogant, holier then thou statements from people like you.

Yes, medical school is hard. You do realize that some schools (CCOM I believe) have a test EVERY MONDAY? You do realize that current fourth years at NYCOM had a block schedule where they would have one week with anywhere from 1-3 tests per day? There will always be something for people to whine about.

Medical school sucks but the bottom line is we're all going to be doctors. How can you possibly complain about that?

so for the icc exam they have 34 skills listed in the guide. i'm guessing that each of the 4 stations will have closer to 8 things listed as opposed to 10...