NYC Anesthesia programs 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any examples of some committees that previous residents may have participated in? I hear that the nurses in NYC are a huge PITA since they're unionized; has this affected your anesthesia experience in a negative way? I also heard that moonlighting rates have not gone up in like 5-6 years, whereas other programs (like Sinai paying $400 if you go past 7PM or cornell at 100/hr) pay a lot more/hr. Is there talk of increasing moonlighting pay?

Lastly, what would you say needs improvement at your program?

Well yes because it leads to more slacking off for nurses since its next to impossible to get fired. you'll randomly on some days get like 10 nurses calling out sick and you are stuck in the OR because there aren't enough nurses in PACU to take your patient. Your entire day gets delayed so you go home later.

Members don't see this ad.

any examples of some committees that previous residents may have participated in? I hear that the nurses in NYC are a huge PITA since they're unionized; has this affected your anesthesia experience in a negative way? I also heard that moonlighting rates have not gone up in like 5-6 years, whereas other programs (like Sinai paying $400 if you go past 7PM or cornell at 100/hr) pay a lot more/hr. Is there talk of increasing moonlighting pay?

Lastly, what would you say needs improvement at your program?

Not limited to NYC, so don't let that determine your decision.

Well yes because it leads to more slacking off for nurses since its next to impossible to get fired. you'll randomly on some days get like 10 nurses calling out sick and you are stuck in the OR because there aren't enough nurses in PACU to take your patient. Your entire day gets delayed so you go home later.

Insanity.

Members don't see this ad :)

That will suck for the program, especially if they pay you overtime past a certain time...
In your previous post, I had asked about fellowship match factors. Would you be able to revisit that and let me know what factors are weighed heavily for fellowship match choices outside of ITE scores and letters?

Not limited to NYC, so don't let that determine your decision.

Oh? where else are nurses that lazy or have an annoying attitude?

That will suck for the program, especially if they pay you overtime past a certain time...
In your previous post, I had asked about fellowship match factors. Would you be able to revisit that and let me know what factors are weighed heavily for fellowship match choices outside of ITE scores and letters?

Oh? where else are nurses that lazy or have an annoying attitude?

Pretty much those. ITE, recs/who you know/ research/ any positions like chief resident

Any thoughts on Montefiore Medical Center in terms of quality of training, lifestyle, reputation, and overall experience?

I got a "meh" vibe on my interview day. Training seems decent from what I gathered on the interview day. Unless you are below average applicant and have to stay in NYC for personal reasons, wouldn't rank it too high. They also didn't fill this past year. Not too surprising given that they don't fill their spots every 2-3 years or so.

EDIT: Their fellowship matches looked pretty good though

I got a "meh" vibe on my interview day. Training seems decent from what I gathered on the interview day. Unless you are below average applicant and have to stay in NYC for personal reasons, wouldn't rank it too high. They also didn't fill this past year. Not too surprising given that they don't fill their spots every 2-3 years or so.

EDIT: Their fellowship matches looked pretty good though

To provide a contrasting opinion, I am a current intern here. Its true that we did not match several categorical spots this year, and based on the post-match surveys sent out to applicants, the overwhelming reason was due to the tough prelim year. However that is all changing for the new incoming class of 2023. The number of wards months are being reduced from 7 months to 4. Anesthesia months are increased to 2 from 1. 1 month on acute pain service. You get 4 weeks of vacation compared to 3 at most places in the country. Definitely a solid intern curriculum

If you take a look at Montes fill rates, they usually have filled their advanced spots. Only had problems filling their categorical spots twice over the last 7-8 years.

To provide a contrasting opinion, I am a current intern here. Its true that we did not match several categorical spots this year, and based on the post-match surveys sent out to applicants, the overwhelming reason was due to the tough prelim year. However that is all changing for the new incoming class of 2023. The number of wards months are being reduced from 7 months to 4. Anesthesia months are increased to 2 from 1. 1 month on acute pain service. You get 4 weeks of vacation compared to 3 at most places in the country. Definitely a solid intern curriculum

If you take a look at Montes fill rates, they usually have filled their advanced spots. Only had problems filling their categorical spots twice over the last 7-8 years.

It's really bad to not fill when you aim to fill. it's pretty uncommon! Also all programs in NY are 4 week vacations. I thought that was teh case for most places in the country as well.

It's really bad to not fill when you aim to fill. it's pretty uncommon! Also all programs in NY are 4 week vacations. I thought that was teh case for most places in the country as well.

To reiterate, the reason that the program did not match was because of its wards heavy intern year; Consequently, they have made changes to address the issue this year for the incoming class.

There are several programs that dont fill from time to time. This past year, USC and Yale didn't fill either. UC Davis didn't fill 5 of their spots last year. UC Irvine didn't fill last year. UCSF didn't fill two spots last year. Rush didn't fill 5-8 spots for 3 of the past 5 years. Indiana didn't fill 5 spots in 2017, BIDMC didn't fill 2 spots in 2014, BWH didn't fill in 2014, Rutgers didn't fill 5 spots in 2017, CWRU didn't fill in 2015,2016, and 2017. UTSW didn't fill 2 spots in 2016, MCW didn't fill its spots in 2015, 2016, and 2017. UAB didn't fill is spots in 2016.

So its not as if its uncommon, or unique to a specific tier of schools. Yes, most NYC programs are 4 weeks off, but most programs across the country are not.

My intern year (2015-2016) had 2 weeks of vacay... This is Texas. my program has since increased it to 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to bump this and see if anyone has opinions on Columbia, Mt Sinai, and Cornell from this new cycle of interviews? I'm mostly confused because I feel like within NYC and these threads people seem to say Mount Sinai is the most competitive and Columbia shouldnt really be a top 10, but I feel like Columbia still has the better reputation nationally? I also am interested in some subspecialties that I thought were stronger at some places vs others, but then on interviews the other program/s sold their experience in those rotations really well

Wanted to bump this and see if anyone has opinions on Columbia, Mt Sinai, and Cornell from this new cycle of interviews? I'm mostly confused because I feel like within NYC and these threads people seem to say Mount Sinai is the most competitive and Columbia shouldnt really be a top 10, but I feel like Columbia still has the better reputation nationally? I also am interested in some subspecialties that I thought were stronger at some places vs others, but then on interviews the other program/s sold their experience in those rotations really well
What is your opinion on Cornell?

The negativity surrounding Columbia seems kind of unfounded and based on previous reputation that lags behind changes. A chief i spoke to acknowledged the malignant reputation and suggested it was probably due to 1) the old PD who was very distant since she worked offsite 2) people have complained about relief later than 5 on some/not all non-short call days. The first one is no longer an issue b/c the new PD is, if you interviewed i'm sure you'd agree, very warm and attentive to the residents (residents, one of which is a family friend of mine have corroborated this). The second one it seems is honestly a symptom of being an NYC program... non-short call days just won't always end promptly at/before 5 due to rooms going late at these busy hospitals and how that affects the relief system. Sinai and Cornell residents have said they're incredibly busy too. I guess NYU is the exception here, but not even by that much. I feel like I was really confused at the discrepancy btwn SDN reputation of Columbia and what I actually heard during my interview so I want to do my part to help update people.

Reputation nationally literally doesn't matter when comparing the big 4 in NYC. They all match great and will all give you connections to get to where you need to go fellowship-wise or put people into great PP/academic gigs.

As for subspecialties, if you just look at the resources at each hospital you will get your answers. Peds is better at Columbia b/c of CHONY, transplant is good at Sinai and Columbia (sinai has no lungs tho), Regional at Cornell (HSS), Cards at Columbia (Shanewise is there) and Sinai, Pain im not sure about tbh if someone wants to chime in abt this. But honestly, it doesnt REALLY matter. You're not gonna like, not be able to become a pediatric anesthesiologist just because you didn't go to Columbia. All these places are DOPE residencies and I'd be grateful to be at any one of them.

Last edited:
The negativity surrounding Columbia seems kind of unfounded and based on previous reputation that lags behind changes. A chief at the dinner acknowledged the malignant reputation and suggested it was probably due to 1) the old PD who was very distant since she worked offsite 2) people have complained about relief later than 5 on some/not all non-short call days. The first one is no longer an issue b/c the new PD is, if you interviewed i'm sure you'd agree, very warm and attentive to the residents (residents, one of which is a family friend of mine have corroborated this). The second one it seems is honestly a symptom of being an NYC program... non-short call days just won't always end promptly at/before 5 due to rooms going late at these busy hospitals and how that affects the relief system. Sinai and Cornell residents have said they're incredibly busy too. I guess NYU is the exception here, but not even by that much. I feel like I was really confused at the discrepancy btwn SDN reputation of Columbia and what I actually saw during my interview so I want to do my part to help update people.

Reputation nationally like doesn't matter when comparing the big 4 in NYC. They all match great and will all give you connections to get to where you need to go fellowship-wise or put people into great PP/academic gigs.

As for subspecialties, if you just look at the resources at each hospital you will get your answers. Peds is better at Columbia b/c of CHONY, transplant is good at Sinai and Columbia (sinai has no lungs tho), Regional at Cornell (HSS), Cards at Columbia (Shanewise is there) and Sinai, Pain im not sure about tbh if someone wants to chime in abt this. But honestly, it doesnt REALLY matter. You're not gonna like, not be able to become a pediatric anesthesiologist just because you didn't go to Columbia. All these places are DOPE residencies and I'd be grateful to be at any one of them.

Would like to both agree and addendum this post; speaking to residents at Columbia, the program was never malignant in the "true" sense. Anytime you work hard (more than other places in the country) AND your supposed advocates are MIA, its a combination for feeling like you have a ****ty job. I don't think that training or the way residents were treated by attendings was necessarily poor. I think it could more accurately be described as an environment that fostered low morale. The new Columbia PD did indeed seem like a big upgrade by all accounts - the only thing to consider is maybe that changes aren't instantaneous. Since she was installed only this year, to undo the negatives that had built up over x years may take several years in of itself. Someone at my interview last week asked her about upcoming changes and she didn't give us anything concrete. I lean slightly towards giving her the benefit of the doubt though since she genuinely seems like a kind person. I believe NYU technically has the biggest (?) pain fellowship if that's a reflection of the volume.

The negativity surrounding Columbia seems kind of unfounded and based on previous reputation that lags behind changes. A chief i spoke to acknowledged the malignant reputation and suggested it was probably due to 1) the old PD who was very distant since she worked offsite 2) people have complained about relief later than 5 on some/not all non-short call days. The first one is no longer an issue b/c the new PD is, if you interviewed i'm sure you'd agree, very warm and attentive to the residents (residents, one of which is a family friend of mine have corroborated this). The second one it seems is honestly a symptom of being an NYC program... non-short call days just won't always end promptly at/before 5 due to rooms going late at these busy hospitals and how that affects the relief system. Sinai and Cornell residents have said they're incredibly busy too. I guess NYU is the exception here, but not even by that much. I feel like I was really confused at the discrepancy btwn SDN reputation of Columbia and what I actually heard during my interview so I want to do my part to help update people.

Reputation nationally literally doesn't matter when comparing the big 4 in NYC. They all match great and will all give you connections to get to where you need to go fellowship-wise or put people into great PP/academic gigs.

I mean you may not become a cardiac anesthesiologist if you go to Columbia lolol

Reactions: 2 users

want to elaborate what you mean by you 'feel like' columbia still has the better reputation? where is this coming from?
Columbia will probably always have a better reputation than Sinai to the general public.. why? because the columbia name is ivy league with its own university and many graduate programs. everyones who applied to college probably knows of Columbia. Whos ever heard of Mount sinai?? The question is does this matter? you'll be going into a highly specialized field with a pretty small community. all 4 of the NYC programs are very well known, especially in the northeast. that is why mount sinai is more competitive than Columbia, because people in the field or going into the field knows both are highly reputable, and choose base on other factors. i would say if at this point in your career if you still cant get over the whole Columbia reputation thing that probably started way before the application cycle, just go to columbia and dont stress yourself out. it's not like you'll be poorly trained in any of these programs

Yep Peds is best at columbia, transplant at Sinai/columbia (sinai is the only one of the 4 that doesn't do lung transplants, not that it really matters), regional at Cornell, Cards (sinai/columbia), pain is sinai. And just because the list doesn't have NYU doesn't mean NYU is weak =)

My best advice regarding NYC programs is to go based on feel. The difference between the programs is essentially indistinguishable when it comes to your future skills and career, that will be all what you put into it. It is difficult due to the limited encounters, but try to gauge how you fit in with the residents you meet. Are they like you? Are they people you would want to be friends with? The NYC programs are all very established and they each have a fairly defined culture that tends to either self select or force assimilation, so see which group of people you feel you mesh best with. A second look can be useful for this as well. I did a second look at my top ranked program and it resulted in me dropping it to second ranked because the unhappiness became more palpable when I was there that second day. It only dropped to second because my top 4 choices were regionally restricted and I am still willing to chase the name enough to only drop it to #2 instead of #4.

Reactions: 1 user
My best advice regarding NYC programs is to go based on feel. The difference between the programs is essentially indistinguishable when it comes to your future skills and career, that will be all what you put into it. It is difficult due to the limited encounters, but try to gauge how you fit in with the residents you meet. Are they like you? Are they people you would want to be friends with? The NYC programs are all very established and they each have a fairly defined culture that tends to either self select or force assimilation, so see which group of people you feel you mesh best with. A second look can be useful for this as well. I did a second look at my top ranked program and it resulted in me dropping it to second ranked because the unhappiness became more palpable when I was there that second day. It only dropped to second because my top 4 choices were regionally restricted and I am still willing to chase the name enough to only drop it to #2 instead of #4.
If you are advising to choose programs based on feel for mid/upper level programs (which all of the NYC programs fall under), what made you chase the name brand of a place where you knew you would not have been as happy at? I'm struggling with this very dilemma.

Mainly because I did not know where I would be afterwards or have a clear understanding of my life goals. The way I imagined it, a big brand name would carry farther nationally due to clear name recognition, and may keep more doors open until I figured out what I really wanted to do. I viewed a big name as insurance where even if I regretted my decision I may still have opportunities or benefits because of the name.

Ultimately the reason I chose where I went as my #1 over a maybe more recognizable name was because I knew this was 4 years of my life that could be the worst ever. In that scenario I would rather spend 4 years at a good program where I was more confident I would be happy rather than choose one with a big name where there was a greater chance I would be even more miserable. I thought the quality of training and cases at the two programs was essentially the same, one just had an ivy league name.

Last edited:
Mainly because I did not know where I would be afterwards or have a clear understanding of my life goals. The way I imagined it, a big brand name would carry farther nationally due to clear name recognition, and may keep more doors open until I figured out what I really wanted to do. I viewed a big name as insurance where even if I regretted my decision I may still have opportunities or benefits because of the name.

Ultimately the reason I chose where I went as my #1 over a maybe less recognizable name was because I knew this was 4 years of my life that could be the worst ever. In that scenario I would rather spend 4 years at a good program where I was more confident I would be happy rather than choose one with a big name where there was a greater chance I would be even more miserable. I thought the quality of training and cases at the two programs was essentially the same, one just had an ivy league name.

A lot of med students feel this way actually but in reality the difference is so small it doesn't really matter. It's like applying to medical school from Cornell university vs Uchicago, both great schools but one ivy one isn't. Anyone in the business knows both are excellent. Same in anesthesiology. Every fellowship director has heard of these 4 programs and know they are all good.

Would like to both agree and addendum this post; speaking to residents at Columbia, the program was never malignant in the "true" sense. Anytime you work hard (more than other places in the country) AND your supposed advocates are MIA, its a combination for feeling like you have a ****ty job. I don't think that training or the way residents were treated by attendings was necessarily poor. I think it could more accurately be described as an environment that fostered low morale. The new Columbia PD did indeed seem like a big upgrade by all accounts - the only thing to consider is maybe that changes aren't instantaneous. Since she was installed only this year, to undo the negatives that had built up over x years may take several years in of itself. Someone at my interview last week asked her about upcoming changes and she didn't give us anything concrete. I lean slightly towards giving her the benefit of the doubt though since she genuinely seems like a kind person. I believe NYU technically has the biggest (?) pain fellowship if that's a reflection of the volume.

Sinai and Cornell seem WAY ahead in terms of resident benefits (overtime pay, moonlighting opportunities, paying for TrueLearn, conferences, scheduling time off, housing, and other perks). If we agree that everything else is more or less equal between the top NYC programs at the end of day, Columbia seems to come up short (or they just did not sell it well). I agree that the new PD seems really tuned in and will make positive changes...but it may take some time...

Does anyone have any insight into the moonlighting/overtime situation at Columbia? I hate that is stuff is influencing my decision, but it really matters when you have loan payments, paying rent in the city, want to save, etc...

A lot of med students feel this way actually but in reality the difference is so small it doesn't really matter. It's like applying to medical school from Cornell university vs Uchicago, both great schools but one ivy one isn't. Anyone in the business knows both are excellent. Same in anesthesiology. Every fellowship director has heard of these 4 programs and know they are all good.
What about the difference between a solid city program like UChicago or St. Lukes vs. a top 10 program in a not so great location (i.e. Michigan). Do you feel that it makes enough of a difference for private practice job search nationally to live in a worse location for 4 years? In the case that someone elects to do a fellowship, would that fellowship program trump whatever residency program they did anyways in terms of hiring? Thank you

Sinai and Cornell seem WAY ahead in terms of resident benefits (overtime pay, moonlighting opportunities, paying for TrueLearn, conferences, scheduling time off, housing, and other perks). If we agree that everything else is more or less equal between the top NYC programs at the end of day, Columbia seems to come up short (or they just did not sell it well). I agree that the new PD seems really tuned in and will make positive changes...but it may take some time...

Does anyone have any insight into the moonlighting/overtime situation at Columbia? I hate that is stuff is influencing my decision, but it really matters when you have loan payments, paying rent in the city, want to save, etc...

You can pick up extra short calls and do OB moonlighting on weekends. Dont know the dollar amoutns they pay.

Wondering also if there are any additional thoughts about Sinai West (St. Lukes) since there really isn’t much info out there. Which NYC programs would you guys think would be up to par with them?

What about the difference between a solid city program like UChicago or St. Lukes vs. a top 10 program in a not so great location (i.e. Michigan). Do you feel that it makes enough of a difference for private practice job search nationally to live in a worse location for 4 years? In the case that someone elects to do a fellowship, would that fellowship program trump whatever residency program they did anyways in terms of hiring? Thank you

So med students like to drop names like 'top 10 program'. Do realize that the top 10 program you are referring to is probably some BS list some random person made in hopes of generating views thus revenue. It's as useful as forbes saying anesthesiologists are the highest paid job in america and we all know how stupid that is.

But to answer your question, PP jobs dont really care about all that stuff. It's really about who you know and the connections you build. If your desired area is XYZ, go to a strong program in XYZ region because you have a higher chance of knowing someone who knows someone in the PP.
And i think fellowship trumps residency if the job is in the field of fellowship, eg you went to St Lukes for residency then duke for cardiac, and you are looking for a cardiac anesthesiologist position.

Wondering also if there are any additional thoughts about Sinai West (St. Lukes) since there really isn’t much info out there. Which NYC programs would you guys think would be up to par with them?

I would say in NYC, sinai west is right after the top 4 in terms of training. Perhaps in the future NYU brooklyn will be similar to it.

Last edited:

probably on par with Monte only, maaaaybe Hofstra since it seems they fellowship match well and pay well but they're still technically new. As of now, I think theres a clear tier between Monte/St. Lukes and Downstate/Maimo/Hofstra/NYU Brooklyn (latter only cuz it's totally unproven at this point, but at least still has the name and subspecialty rotations at NYU so it may rise).

U Chicago and St. Luke’s are not exactly in the same tier. One is a big name university program with brand new state-of-the-art facilities, the other is a labor intensive second-rate program that lives in the shadow of a reputable hospital system.

U Chicago and St. Luke’s are not exactly in the same tier. One is a big name university program with brand new state-of-the-art facilities, the other is a labor intensive second-rate program that lives in the shadow of a reputable hospital system.
Fair enough, so let's say 3 tiers being Michigan, UC, St. Lukes. Do you think there's a large difference when it comes to looking for jobs who will hire you depending on where you trained, regional/local networking bias aside?

NYC makes you a mean person. I am trying to undo its damage. Unfortunately, part of it has become permanent.

Any advice about St Lukes vs Northwell? Location isn't a big deal to me, more so just thinking about training and fellowship/job opportunities after training. Thoughts?

Any advice about St Lukes vs Northwell? Location isn't a big deal to me, more so just thinking about training and fellowship/job opportunities after training. Thoughts?

St. Lukes no question. You get "in's" at CHONY and Mount Sinai main for fellowship. Tons of regional. Good case mix from poor st. lukes population to rich Roosevelt population. It's pseudo-academic if you're thinking about that kind of career at all, vs northwell which is really not academic at all. Northwell still seems to have a good mix of everything and will train you well clinically though, its not a bad program.

St lukes . it's a great residency program. They have great cases. the ONE downside i can think of is there is more commuting than other programs. your rotations are all over the place but they are at good places. CHONY for peds, can do mt sinai for cardiac/liver transplant, sloan kettering for thoracic, st lukes for regional..

Echoing others... St Lukes... the Northwell ppl I met even talked down their school

What do u guys think of northwell vs bk programs (NYU Bk, Maimo, Downstate) tho?

What do u guys think of northwell vs bk programs (NYU Bk, Maimo, Downstate) tho?

For me, Northwell > NYUBK/Downstate (can't really speak for Maimo, though) - depends what you're looking for. I'd say equivalent clinical training at the three sites.

Some little things between Downstate and Northwell: Downstate has more trauma, salary 61k, closer to manhattan, possibly phasing out of the NYU Brooklyn Site (Lutheran) to be replaced by clinical rotations at Brookdale Hospital, kidney transplant (no cardiac/lung/liver). Northwell has less trauma, salary 72k, further from Manhattan (although still accessible by public transit), transplant includes kidney, cardiac, and liver (soon?). NYUBK is too untested, and is why I put them after Northwell.

I'm also curious about what others think about them

Might be wrong thread for this, but how competitive are the NYC programs? Basically, I'm starting clerkships now at an MD school ranked top 25 (25-20) and have a mid 230s step 1 score. Doubt I can end up being competitive for Columbia/NYU/Cornell/Sinai, but what about St. Lukes and other NYC programs? And any advice moving forward to boost my application? I have no anesthesia research or related activities as of now.

may not be competitive at the big 4 but can definitely still get accepted. Columbia cares about research. Sinai cares about doing an away there (if your step score is lower than their cut off which yours is). not sure what nyu/cornell cares about

Might be wrong thread for this, but how competitive are the NYC programs? Basically, I'm starting clerkships now at an MD school ranked top 25 (25-20) and have a mid 230s step 1 score. Doubt I can end up being competitive for Columbia/NYU/Cornell/Sinai, but what about St. Lukes and other NYC programs? And any advice moving forward to boost my application? I have no anesthesia research or related activities as of now.

I think you will be just fine

i think mid 230s step is totally doable for big 4 NYC, people definitely match with those scores. might not be a shoe-in for getting 4/4 interviews or be the most competitive candidate or anything but you should 100% apply

not from a top school, step is also mid 230s, and I got 3 of the big 4, SLR, and all other nyc programs. Did an away for one of em. Do whatever u can to beef up your app from here on out (3rd year grades, get quality letters of rec, >10 pt improvement on step 2, and aways if u can swing it). no need to go crazy on research but a pub or an abstract would help, if not at least give some good fodder for interview talking points.