ny res question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebagg28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you opt out of a residency and go right into serving back your time would you still have to complete a residency in order to practice in ny?

Members don't see this ad.

to practice on a military post, you must have a state license. any state - doesn't matter which one.
so, to work at Fort Drum, NY, you can have a Missouri state license - so long as you are only working on Fort Drum, in a military capacity.

if you wanted to work off-post (moonlight) in a civilian capacity, you would be required to have the license for the state that you would work in.

if you are thinking about practicing in NY after getting out of the military, i assume you would either have to do the AEGD, or stay in the military for five years before you would be eligible to get a NY state license. (isn't the requirement for NY to have either completed a residency, or have five years of practice experience?)

to practice on a military post, you must have a state license. any state - doesn't matter which one.
so, to work at Fort Drum, NY, you can have a Missouri state license - so long as you are only working on Fort Drum, in a military capacity.

if you wanted to work off-post (moonlight) in a civilian capacity, you would be required to have the license for the state that you would work in.

if you are thinking about practicing in NY after getting out of the military, i assume you would either have to do the AEGD, or stay in the military for five years before you would be eligible to get a NY state license. (isn't the requirement for NY to have either completed a residency, or have five years of practice experience?)

I would contact the NY dental association for an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you opt out of a residency and go right into serving back your time would you still have to complete a residency in order to practice in ny?

In the AF you must have your license within the first year if you are not in a residency. If you are attending an AF AEGD program, and plan on getting your license via the residency route, you have 18 months. This allows time for you to finish the residency and complete all the paperwork.

Thanks for the replys. I looked on the website for the NYS Dental Association and it says that you need to be practicing in another jurisdiction for 2 Years full-time. I guess I would be able to practice in NY right after without doing an AEGD or GPR unless all state go to the mandatory GPR/AEGD by the time I graduate.

Thanks for the help and I hope this helps people that were wondering.

If anyone else wants to see this info it can be found on the nyda website.