Doing PGY-1 for licensure in NY instead of taking National Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eric275

Prosthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Governor Signs Landmark Legislation
May 25, 2004

The New York State Dental Association achieved a major victory in May when Governor Pataki signed into law its “PGY1” legislation, otherwise known as S.5386a/A.6065b.

In addition to the State Education Department, NYSDA was supported in its lobbying efforts by the New York State Academic Dental Centers, a coalition of the state’s dental schools, as well as by the Upstate Program Directors Group and the American Association of Hospital Dentists.

NYSDA President Brian Kennedy notes that New York is the only state to adopt legislation with such sweeping reform to dental licensure.

“Due to the bipartisan support this bill received, it is apparent that our elected officials understand our goal—to elevate the level of training of the profession to protect dentists and the public,” said Dr. Kennedy. “This follows the medical model for licensure, and treating dentists the same as physicians seemed logical to the Senate, Assembly and the Governor.”

NYSDA asserted that the one-shot examination performed on a volunteer patient, is fraught with difficulties which, through no fault of the dental student and bearing no relation to his or her skills as a dentist, can cause the student to fail the examination. Often the patient is nervous or otherwise uneasy about being the subject of a student’s licensing examination and this can have a negative effect on the dental student’s performance, again without any relation or bearing as to the student’s competency.

Since 2003, New York was the only state to offer dental students the option to complete an accredited postgraduate dental training program in lieu of Part III of the dental licensing examination in order to obtain a dental license. This new legislation eliminates the clinical exam as a requirement for licensure in New York.

NYSDA Executive Director Roy Lasky is confident a full year of post-graduate dental training provides a better evaluation of a student’s aptitude, abilities, education, practice skills, and demeanor.

“A year residency is certainly fairer and more likely to ascertain a student’s fitness and ability to be granted a dental license than an all-or-nothing one-shot examination that tests a very limited number of dental skills,” said Lasky.

Unlike the previous New York PGY-1 bill passed in 2002 that gave students the option to take part in a residency program in lieu of a clinical exam, this bill will carry no sunset provision or follow up evaluation period.

Beginning in 2007, the clinical exam will have no relevance in New York State as all applicants for licensure will be required to complete a year residency as a prerequisite for initial licensure in New York State.

Have any active duty dentists known people in the military that have went this route? I know that you would lose out on your 1 year of BCP of $250/month- $3000 for the year (pretax), but with boards costing ~$1600 not including any money paid to patients and the stress, it doesn't really seem like a bad route if you already know that your going to do a residency. Any thoughts? Also does it matter what kind of residency you do, i.e. does it have to be an AEGD/GPR or could it be Endo, Pros, Perio, etc?

Also would it have any effect on getting a license in another state down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

Have any active duty dentists known people in the military that have went this route? I know that you would lose out on your 1 year of BCP of $250/month- $3000 for the year (pretax), but with boards costing ~$1600 not including any money paid to patients and the stress, it doesn't really seem like a bad route if you already know that your going to do a residency. Any thoughts? Also does it matter what kind of residency you do, i.e. does it have to be an AEGD/GPR or could it be Endo, Pros, Perio, etc?

Also would it have any effect on getting a license in another state down the road?

Eric,

The BCP is actually board certification pay for any of the ADA recognized specialities and the military board certification for the 2 year AEGD residents. The testing for the 2 year residents is intensive.

I was mistaken, it's the ASP you lose. I called and spoke with an admin CAPT in Bethesda this morning and he said that it is an option that some people take to get licensure but you only have 18 months after graduation to obtain a state license. With that time frame the only residencies that would meet the requirements are an AEGD/GPR because the two and three year residencies do not award a certificate until completeion of the program which would be past the allowed time to obtain a state license.

Additionally with the recent increase in ASP, from $4,000 to $10,000, financially it's not as good of a deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was mistaken, it's the ASP you lose. I called and spoke with an admin CAPT in Bethesda this morning and he said that it is an option that some people take to get licensure but you only have 18 months after graduation to obtain a state license. With that time frame the only residencies that would meet the requirements are an AEGD/GPR because the two and three year residencies do not award a certificate until completeion of the program which would be past the allowed time to obtain a state license.

Additionally with the recent increase in ASP, from $4,000 to $10,000, financially it's not as good of a deal.

I figured you were thinking about that and not the BCP.

The downside of not obtaining licensure directly out of school is that if you have a desire to be stationed overseas you will need to have a state license, at least with the Army you do but by your note of rank above it looks like you are Navy man.

I figured you were thinking about that and not the BCP.

The downside of not obtaining licensure directly out of school is that if you have a desire to be stationed overseas you will need to have a state license, at least with the Army you do but by your note of rank above it looks like you are Navy man.

Thanks for the replies.

eric275,
The law says you must have a state license to receive ASP ($10,000) per year. You'll have to check with each service to see if they allow this route. The AF is updating it's policy to allow this route, but you still need to check before you go this route.

Hi,

I'm a 4th year dental student in California and will be doing the USAF AEGD at Nellis, AFB. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm going to take the PGY-1 route. I read on the CDA website that one of the rules of obtaining licensure via the PGY-1, one must not have failed the California/WREB licensure exam within the past 5 years. So, if I attempt to take the licensure exam so that I can earn the $10,000 ASP...does anyone know what would happen if I fail? If I choose to attempt the exam and fail, would I still be able to fall back on using PGY-1?:confused:

Sakura13,
I answered this in the other thread as well. Current AF policy requires you to have a current, active dental license within 1 year of arriving at your first duty station. Under this rule, it's not possible to get licensure by PGY-1 because it will take over 1 year. This rule is being revised to allow graduates to obtain licensure this way. The new regulation will probably be within 18 months of arrival, but not sure yet (so please don't quote me on this yet)

I think you answered your own question. If you take the WREB and fail, you must retake the test - if you want a California license. The new AF reg will prevent you from waiting 5 years to obtain a license. You'd also loose the ASP for the years you go without a license.

Last edited:
eric275 originally asked: "Also would it have any effect on getting a license in another state down the road?"

When NY originally released their plan, some surrounding states released a policy that stated they would only allow licensure if the applicant had completed a licensing exam. This would prevent anyone that received their license by PGY-1 from receiving a license in that state without taking a licensing exam.

Those rules may have changed, but it would be a good idea to check out other states to be sure. If you want to obtain a license in another state eventually, you might want to check their rules before you decide on a route to licensure.