Nurse murders multiple patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaseousClay

:)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah yeah yeah, diverting addict kills patients, must be a Sunday, but what caught my eye in the article was this gem:

"The host of our Docs on Call program, Doctor Robin Miller" :
"You don’t think of medical professionals doing this, but 10% of medical professionals divert drugs. 10%… That’s a lot."

Who the hell is this clown? What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah yeah yeah, diverting addict kills patients, must be a Sunday, but what caught my eye in the article was this gem:

I just went down some poorly written rabbit hole of studies to find out where that number came from…based on the cited links in the article. As far as I can tell, there is some survey data that suggests 1 in 10 Americans have some form of substance use disorder (includes alcohol and tobacco). The rate is the same for health care professionals, although there is speculation not supported by data that it could be higher based on easy access. There was one speculative article that suggests that as many as 1 in 5 nurses has substance dependence disorders. There was no data to support that claim.

Saying that 10% of medical professionals divert drugs seems like a weird conflation of poorly worded articles and survey data.

Reactions: 1 user
I just went down some poorly written rabbit hole of studies to find out where that number came from…based on the cited links in the article. As far as I can tell, there is some survey data that suggests 1 in 10 Americans have some form of substance use disorder (includes alcohol and tobacco). The rate is the same for health care professionals, although there is speculation not supported by data that it could be higher based on easy access. There was one speculative article that suggests that as many as 1 in 5 nurses has substance dependence disorders. There was no data to support that claim.

Saying that 10% of medical professionals divert drugs seems like a weird conflation of poorly worded articles and survey data.
Reminds me of another oft-quoted steaming pile of crap - that "To Err Is Human" abomination that has cursed us with 2 1/2 decades of people who earnestly believe that medical errors kill 100K people per year.

Reactions: 12 users
Now I want to know whether tap water IV is deadly or only in hospitals with pseudomonas running around... yuck

Reactions: 1 users
Reminds me of another oft-quoted steaming pile of crap - that "To Err Is Human" abomination that has cursed us with 2 1/2 decades of people who earnestly believe that medical errors kill 100K people per year.

It's very interesting that all this focus on "patient safety" hasn't actually changed the in-hospital mortality rate very much in the past 2 decades.

It's almost as if focusing on the 0.001% of what we do wrong isn't as helpful as learning from and doing more of the 99.999% that we do correctly.

Reactions: 3 users
Probably same place that says approximately 15% of statistics are pulled out of someone’s ass.

IMG_5870.png

Reactions: 1 users

What a *******. I’m sure the NYT will pick this up and run with it.

“But what Dr. Miller doesn’t understand, is why tap water was allegedly used. She says there should be sterile options available that wouldn’t put patients at risk.”

LOL wtf? It’s a hospital of course there is sterile saline, but that would require this nurse to understand the consequences of injecting someone with tap water as opposed to a sterile solution. The problem here is Dr. Miller is trying to understand the mindset of an idiotic drug seeker. This nurse either didn’t understand or didn’t care, but there is no point in trying to understand. The only thing to understand is that this person is a criminal and arguably one of the worst kinds in my eyes…. This person deserves to rot in prison.

Agreed. If you are going to a statement this bold which essentially ****s on the trust of our healthcare system (Which is essential in our line of work) then you better be able to back it up with SOLID data.

I went down a rabbit hole a few years ago trying to figure out how they got that figure. I forget the details now but essentially there’s some data collection software/third party that looks at vitals and lab abnormalities and if certain parameters are satisfied it chalks it up to medication error. I remember that INR being >1.4 if the pt was below that on admission being one, and I remember propofol given and BP being >20% below the previously documented BP being another. The system showed something like 60% of inductions as being a propofol overdose/med error. Then if that pt didn’t survive it was counted as a med error.

Examples: from the IHI GTT (a trigger tool)

M2–Partial Thromboplastin Time (PTT) Greater than 100 Seconds
Elevated PTT measurements occur when patients are on heparin. Look for evidence
of bleeding to determine if an adverse event has occurred. Elevated PTT in itself is not an adverse event—there must be manifestation such as bleeding, drop in Hg or Hct, or bruising.

M3–International Normalized Ratio (INR) Greater than 6
Look for evidence of bleeding to determine if an adverse event has occurred. An elevated INR in itself is not an adverse event.

M11–Over-Sedation/Hypotension
Review the physician progress, nursing, or multidisciplinary notes for evidence of over- sedation and lethargy. Review vital signs records or graphics for episodes of hypotension related to the administration of a sedative, analgesic, or muscle relaxant. Intentional overdose is not considered an adverse event.

S8–Intra-Operative Administration of Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, Naloxone, or Romazicon
These medications are not routinely administered intra-operatively. Review anesthesia and operative notes to determine the reason for administration. Hypotension caused by bleeding or over-sedation are examples of adverse events that might be treated with these medications.

Last edited:
  • Hmm