Nuig 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmichelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to start this thread for people that have been accepted to the 5/6-year programme at NUIG.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, if you got accepted into NUIG for September 2012, this is the place for you. Ask questions and make contacts to prepare yourself in the best way possible. Also, state what city you're from and if you got into the 5 or 6 year program.

Me, I'm from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I got into the 5 year program.

So what does anyone know about NUIG? Is it a good medical school? Is it recognized in Canada? Anyone know anyone who graduated from NUIG medicine and got residency in Canada?

Decided to start this thread for people that have been accepted to the 5/6-year programme at NUIG.

mmmichelle, want to trade emails/facebook so we can discuss NUIG? Will you be accepting your offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea. I will make an equivalent thread for UCC muahaha :ninja:

Hi everyone, if you got accepted into NUIG for September 2012, this is the place for you. Ask questions and make contacts to prepare yourself in the best way possible. Also, state what city you're from and if you got into the 5 or 6 year program.

Me, I'm from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I got into the 5 year program.

So what does anyone know about NUIG? Is it a good medical school? Is it recognized in Canada? Anyone know anyone who graduated from NUIG medicine and got residency in Canada?

Did you take an english course? On their site it says that international students need a credit of english

Did you take an english course? On their site it says that international students need a credit of english

I did take English courses in university. I wasn't aware that it was a requirement, I only took English because I originally wanted to do a minor in it. I thought the English requirement was for international students coming from a non-English speaking country.

When did NUIG start accepting North American students and became apart of the ABP? Because I think it only joined a few years ago, maybe in 2008, so I don't think it has any North American graduates yet, so that means no North Americans with a medical degree from NUIG have applied to residency yet in North America yet, so we don't really know our chances of getting residency back home.

When did NUIG start accepting North American students and became apart of the ABP? Because I think it only joined a few years ago, maybe in 2008, so I don't think it has any North American graduates yet, so that means no North Americans with a medical degree from NUIG have applied to residency yet in North America yet, so we don't really know our chances of getting residency back home.
1. You can reach me at [deleted]. My name is Michelle, if you didn't get that from my username already :p
2. i think they started accepting North American students since 2005. So they should have some graduates already. I read somewhere that in 2008 or some time around there, they only accepted 4 international students, which would explain why you don't hear a lot.

Last edited:
Hi, I was accepted to NUIG (6 year program) a week ago. I feel that it is a good school and your certificate will be from the NUI which will be the same as a graduate from UCD or any of the other NUI constituent schools. I have also heard that by going to NUIG and UCD you will get a more true irish university experience because RCSI has a high percentage of wealthy international students. All in all, it should be a good university. I visited UCD (similar to NUIG) a few weeks ago and the campus was great. The buildings were new and the campus was very large and spacious.

Hey guys, did you receive one of those emails from Atlantic Bridge saying you would be receiving an acceptance package? or di the Fedex just show up one day!?

I don't think ABP sends those emails anymore... at least I don't think so. My package just showed up one day and my credit card was charged almost a week later.

Hey everyone!
I've also been accepted into NUIG's six year med program. I'm fresh out of high school. I haven't heard back from UCD.
All I hear about Galway is about how its in the middle of no where, in a depressing ,yet beautiful environment. Now, my question is, how good is its med school on a range of 1-10 and compared to UCD and RCSI. I feel like UCD and RCSI is much more popular in the forum. I wouldn't want RCSI because it doesnt have a university feel- its practically just a college on a patch of grass. What do you all think? How good is NUIG?

Hey everyone!
I've also been accepted into NUIG's six year med program. I'm fresh out of high school. I haven't heard back from UCD.
All I hear about Galway is about how its in the middle of no where, in a depressing ,yet beautiful environment. Now, my question is, how good is its med school on a range of 1-10 and compared to UCD and RCSI. I feel like UCD and RCSI is much more popular in the forum. I wouldn't want RCSI because it doesnt have a university feel- its practically just a college on a patch of grass. What do you all think? How good is NUIG?

The big three are RCSI, UCD, and Trinity. All the others are clearly secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
The big three are RCSI, UCD, and Trinity. All the others are clearly secondary
i completely disagree. those may be the big three because they are the most popular amongst foreign students but not in terms of education.

i completely disagree. those may be the big three because they are the most popular amongst foreign students but not in terms of education.

I would say there isn't a difference in the schools. Obviously RCSI & TCD have the better international reputations because they've been around longer. But I don't think there is a major difference. Board scores will matter a lot more than institution.

Limerick isn't recognized in California which is a downside to that program. But the other 5 are all essentially equals.

Edit: I used to work in a hospital and the only Irish med school the doctors had ever heard of was Trinity. So if you're going to be an IMG it doesn't really matter where you go. Don't expect much institution recognition. It will be respected because it's an Irish school but don't expect kudos for attending RCSI, it's not going to be looked at like the Johns Hopkins of Ireland by US/Canadian residencies.

Last edited:
Great, this just makes my struggle for deciding between NUIG and a world class university in the states for premed. I think I'm leaning more towrads NUIG because I'm scared of not getting into med school after four years.

Yet, I think NUIG is much better than RCSI. RCSI has a repute for being a haven for international students, and just accepting students that don't get in anywhere else.

hi everyone!

Last edited:
hi everyone! im from toronto, canada and got into the 6 year program at NUIG and just accepted! i havent heard anything back from UCD yet but i decided on NUIG because i feel like its more of a community feel and a better university experience because galway is still a city, just not as big as dublin. if anyone else is going to NUIG next year into the 6 yr program, contact me :)! id love to meet other international people because i havent heard of many internationals at NUIG, most go to RCSI!
Hi Mriazi,
I'm still waiting to hear from NUIG. Could you please tell me when did you get your acceptance letter? Thanks!

Hi Mriazi,
I'm still waiting to hear from NUIG. Could you please tell me when did you get your acceptance letter? Thanks!

sorry to tell you this, but if TCD rejected you right away (during first round offers) that means there's something wrong with your application, and hence dont get your hopes up for Galway. Think of a plan B, and figure out what you did wrong on your application (personal essay, letter of recommendations ...etc) and apply to other schools... I learned that the hard way last year :(

i got my acceptance from NUIG on march 20th :)

For those that were accepted into the 5 year program at NUIG, could you please tell me how much the deposit was to hold your place at NUIG?
Thanks!

My Sister was just in Galway and she said that it was a beautiful town and that the people were extremely friendly and kind. Just letting you guys know :)

yay! ive heard amazing things about galway but this is nice to hear :D thanks!

Sup guys, I was accepted into NUIG's 6 year med school program about a month ago, thought it was about time since I met some of you other fine folk. Send me a message through facebook - you can get me at Devesh Khiatani ;)

hey devesh! your the first person from nuig ive met thats going into the 6 yr program next year! i added you on facebook :)

Hi NUIGers! Has anyone yet found accommodation at Galway?
Its really disappointing that they don't have dorms there!

Hi NUIGers! Has anyone yet found accommodation at Galway?
Its really disappointing that they don't have dorms there!

hey! im staying in cuirt :) i know that's what i thought at first too. but they have really nice student apartments that are SO much nicer than dorms and they're pretty much the same price as what you'd pay for a single dorm at a canadian uni so pretty cheap for what you get!

I am applying for the 5/6 year program this year. Can someone tell me what you have to have to get in to the 5 year over 6?

Hi there! If you're coming straight out of high school, I think you'd have to have great scores in AP Physics, Chem, and Bio. I sadly couldn't do physics, so had to take the 6th year one! Good luck!

Oh, and does anyone here know if we have a group on facebook?
I'd be great to get to know everyone beforehand!

yeah i agree! I've been planning on starting a fb group forever, but i was going to wait until i found more people going into the 6 yr program next year. i will soon though haha

Hello All - NUIG has started to send 6 years offers - anyone recieved one yet

Hello All - NUIG has started to send 6 years offers - anyone recieved one yet

I received the offer for the 6 year program through email on March 26.

congrats - I am expecting mine tomorrow , are you going to take it ? are you from Canada ?

congrats - I am expecting mine tomorrow , are you going to take it ? are you from Canada ?

Yes, I'm from Canada. I'm deciding between NUIG and RCSI. Any insight anyone?

I would take NUIG because of the cost. NUIG is 31k euros a year whereas RCSI is 45k for the 6 year program. At an exchange rate of 1.3 Canadian dollars to 1 Euro, you are saving 110k just by going to NUIG.

The main difference is that RCSI is a more specialized institution whereas NUIG is a university. If you are in high school i really recommend attending a university rather than a specialized medical school. You will gain experience from being able to interact with non medics.

Worldwide, both universities have trouble with name recognition, for RCSI because it is a small specialized institution (many may confuse it with a licensing body since nearly all the Royal College of Surgeons don't train medical students). NUIG has trouble with name recognition outside of Ireland and isn't really a force in Ireland itself (TCD and UCD generally are considered the best universities in Ireland). However, the education you receive is no different. RCSI will probably be more flexible with allowing you to apply back to Canada/US i.e. you will be able to do interviews in Canada. There are also more international medical students at RCSI so there will be a lot more USMLE group prep, but on the contrary, a smaller group of internationals might make for a more tightly knit study group.

Galway is a much smaller city than Dublin and you will likely find spending 6 years there maybe a bit boring. RCSI has the advantage in that Dublin is more exciting and more accessible than Galway.

Those are the pros and cons. If money is no issue (i.e. your parents are paying for your education) then i would pick RCSI. Otherwise i would give NUIG the nod because 110k is a lot (this is after tax so we are talking about 220k pre tax income).

I would take NUIG because of the cost. NUIG is 31k euros a year whereas RCSI is 45k for the 6 year program. At an exchange rate of 1.3 Canadian dollars to 1 Euro, you are saving 110k just by going to NUIG.

The main difference is that RCSI is a more specialized institution whereas NUIG is a university. If you are in high school i really recommend attending a university rather than a specialized medical school. You will gain experience from being able to interact with non medics.

Worldwide, both universities have trouble with name recognition, for RCSI because it is a small specialized institution (many may confuse it with a licensing body since nearly all the Royal College of Surgeons don't train medical students). NUIG has trouble with name recognition outside of Ireland and isn't really a force in Ireland itself (TCD and UCD generally are considered the best universities in Ireland). However, the education you receive is no different. RCSI will probably be more flexible with allowing you to apply back to Canada/US i.e. you will be able to do interviews in Canada. There are also more international medical students at RCSI so there will be a lot more USMLE group prep, but on the contrary, a smaller group of internationals might make for a more tightly knit study group.

Galway is a much smaller city than Dublin and you will likely find spending 6 years there maybe a bit boring. RCSI has the advantage in that Dublin is more exciting and more accessible than Galway.

Those are the pros and cons. If money is no issue (i.e. your parents are paying for your education) then i would pick RCSI. Otherwise i would give NUIG the nod because 110k is a lot (this is after tax so we are talking about 220k pre tax income).

Thanks for your insight. I guess this is where I need to talk to my parents!!

So... how many North Americans have accepted their offer to NUIG?

I just sent in my deposit for the 5 year program!

I have just sent off my application to NUIG and TCD for the 5 year program. Truly hoping for NUIG.
Can I ask the students accepted to NUIG -- How are you finding the school so far? I know in the past NUIG has accepted very small numbers of North American applicants (3-4). How many North American students are there this year? The NUIG website mentions recent expansion to accommodate a larger number of students. Is this true?
Many thanks.