NUI Galway Medicine 5 year- Sept 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torontoMACSTA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I was recently accepted to Galway Medicine for the 5 year program. I am a Canadian student finishing my undergraduate degree just outside Toronto. I was wondering if anyone else here has been accepted or has any additional information about the school curriculum, courses etc.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear about their applications!

Members don't see this ad.

What were your stats?
And congrats.
Hey! Thank you very much. I am a Canadian student at McMaster University. I am in my fourth year in an honors Bachelor's of Science specializing in Anatomy and developmental biology. My first-year grades were weak (2.9/4.o0) but since then they have gone up. I did a year abroad in Trinity Dublin Ireland and averaged a 3.98/4.00. Overall average 3.7/4.00. I had two resume letters from trinity professors and have volunteered at a children's hospital since 2013. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Thank you very much. I am a Canadian student at McMaster University. I am in my fourth year in an honors Bachelor's of Science specializing in Anatomy and developmental biology. My first-year grades were weak (2.9/4.o0) but since then they have gone up. I did a year abroad in Trinity Dublin Ireland and averaged a 3.98/4.00. Overall average 3.7/4.00. I had two resume letters from trinity professors and have volunteered at a children's hospital since 2013. I hope this helps.
Congratd on your acceptance! You have an amazing GPA and are almost finishing undergrad. Any reason ehy you didn't take the MCAT and applied for Irish graduate entry programs instead? It's a year shorter program.
Just curious. Congrats again!

Congratd on your acceptance! You have an amazing GPA and are almost finishing undergrad. Any reason why you didn't take the MCAT and applied for Irish graduate entry programs instead? It's a year shorter program.
Just curious. Congrats again!

Thank you again! There are a few reasons I decided to go straight over to Ireland. First, Even with a good MCAT, in Ontario i'm not in the competitive range. Not to get into the little details, but in my opinion the system in Canada right now is a little upside down. It is almost like a lottery draw once you have a high enough GPA. You could have the same marks as someone else but still not get in. From what I've learned without a strong 3.7 + for your whole undergraduate you will be competing. I had set backs due to family health reasons in my first year of my science undergraduate and lost my good marks unfortunately! Life happens.

Knowing how badly I wanted to study medicine I decided not to spend time trying to get in over here as it may take a year or two of applying and MCAT studying and so on. I could have spent this summer writing my MCAT and take the next year off to work, however I decided to apply to schools that didn't need to MCAT and get going into the next step. It's more a personal choice, I would recommend people do the MCAT if they feel like they'll benefit from it or are trying to apply in Canada for sure. For me I've known for a while I wanted to go straight over to Ireland.

I hope this helps, a tip for anyone reading this is to plan early in your undergraduate! If you want to apply in Canada I recommend writing the MCAT before starting your 4th year of undergraduate if you don't want to take a year off after. I did an exchange year in Trinity college Dublin in Ireland last year and became friends with lots of first year medicine students and professors. lots of students from Canada/ USA of all different ages 22-28 some wrote the MCAT some didn't. Everyone has a different plan and there's lots of different routes in!

Hello!!! I've been accepted into the 5 year medicine programme there this year too!!!
Congrats! :) I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Got my acceptance from TCD last week though

Hi all. I’m a NUIG medical graduate, as are 3 of my siblings. We all lived at various stages at my quite nice 2-bedroom apartment in Knocknacarra, until eventually all leaving to work in the UK. Since then, I’ve found it difficult to get suitable long-term tenants for the flat. I would be very eager to have NUIG medical students, particularly international students, as tenants in the flat with a view to a longer term rental. I would be willing to negotiate rent on the basis of a longer rental deal. If you are interested please send me a PM here. Many thanks for your time. Dr John Tully