NRSA F30 applicant pool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BOOO.... thanks for posting that. i'm not giving up yet, i was just hopeing not to have to reapply for december cycle- but i guess i probably will have to. the PO hasn't contacted me so that's probably not good at this point. We'll see- i'm still hoping for a higher cut off. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For the round I'm in, the council doesn't meet until October and that's when the cutoff is set. Check ERA commons for your Council Meeting Date. If it's also 2007/10, you won't hear anything until at least then. This stuff takes a long time. It was over 6 months before I had a decision on my first submission and it looks to be the same on this submission.

Do note that I had to contact the PO to find out the cutoff and my funding status. I did this 2 months after the council meeting date after nobody had contacted me. It's a good thing I did--it was 2 weeks before the next application cutoff when I got the response to my e-mail that my first submission wouldn't be funded.

yea the council for my section is october as well. i just thought that they had the cutoff set already. (keeping my fingers crossed).
i agree that it's probably a good idea to contact the person after the meeting to see what the score is before the next deadline. if it doesn't work out this cycle, i'll definately reapply with new data. thanks for keeping up with this with me!

Members don't see this ad :)
any word on the percentile scores? can you remind me: NINDS does not give percentile scores for F30? or do they wait until after the committee meeting (october for me). is this written somewhere? or do you just know this from doing it before? THanks!

any word on the percentile scores? can you remind me: NINDS does not give percentile scores for F30? or do they wait until after the committee meeting (october for me).

They do not give percentiles for F series grants. Ever. They also do not publish prior paylines (percentile or score).

is this written somewhere? or do you just know this from doing it before? THanks!

I was told this through e-mail communication with the program official for my study section. You can write your program official if you'd like confirmation of what I'm telling you.

I'm submitting a revised application (to NIMH) for the August 8th deadline. The biggest criticism I got for my first submission was that it did not include enough new training (I'm working in the same lab I did as an undergrad). Has anyone had this problem and been able to address it?

I'm submitting a revised application (to NIMH) for the August 8th deadline. The biggest criticism I got for my first submission was that it did not include enough new training (I'm working in the same lab I did as an undergrad). Has anyone had this problem and been able to address it?

Full disclosure, I'm a pre-MD/PhD hopeful. I've heard of this issue coming up not infrequently in K awards, which are junior faculty awards that are often pursued prior to R01s. Your plan on who will be your mentor is seen to be as important -- if not more important -- than your scientific idea.

Luckily, however, the solution is simple. Find a co-PI or mentor that has a good NIH track record and that should solve that.

Hi all. Just had a question about the percentile cutoffs for F30s going to the NIMH. Just got mine back and I was wondering if I should reapply this next cycle. The deadline is in April and the committee meets in May. THanks!

Hi all. Just had a question about the percentile cutoffs for F30s going to the NIMH. Just got mine back and I was wondering if I should reapply this next cycle. The deadline is in April and the committee meets in May. THanks!

I do not know what the percentil cutoff is on NIMH F30's, but I recall comments made by Tom Insel (NIMH Director) at the MD-PhD meeting in 2005 to the effect that the institute was evaluating the effectiveness of F30's in training future physician-scientists. The notes I took say that only 25% of NIMH F30 recipients ever applied for any type of NIMH grant later in their careers, and only 10% were awarded a grant. Furthermore, he said that F30 dollars had very low efficiency. Dividing the dollars spent on training development mechanisms by the number of NIMH research grants awarded to individuals who had previously been supported by training funds yielded the following cost figures:

F31 $105K
F32 $136K
T32 (predoctoral) $230K
T32 (postdoctoral) $358K
F30 $945K
K series $989K

As he explained it, for every NIMH research grant awarded to some who was supported by an F30 in the past, NIMH spent $945K in F30 funds. F30 dollars were only 1/4 as efficient as T32 predoc dollars in terms of producing researchs who successfully applied for NIMH grants down the road.

The upshot of all this was that NIMH was considering a reduction in the money spent for training (in 2004 they spent >12% of their budget on training the highest of any NIH institutes, and far above the average of 7%) in favor of more money for new research grants. I would not be surprised if the cutoffs are much tighter than they were a few years ago. This does not answer your question, but it does give you an idea of what some of the thinking is at the NIH.

F30 $945K
K series $989K

As he explained it, for every NIMH research grant awarded to some who was supported by an F30 in the past, NIMH spent $945K in F30 funds. F30 dollars were only 1/4 as efficient as T32 predoc dollars in terms of producing researchs who successfully applied for NIMH grants down the road.

Correct me if my thinking is wrong here, but the F30 and the K Series grants are the ones I most commonly hear MD/PhDs (F30) and MD and MD/PhDs (K) applying for early in their career. What this would indicate to me more than anything else is that anyone with an MD is taking that MD and running away from research with it. Though why they would give research a try enough to obtain external funding I'm not sure. Is it personal desire to really give research a chance? Pressure from departments to obtain funding?

Alternate viewpoints on that interpretation welcome. But, why else would the F30 be a whopping 9x less efficient than the F31?

While we're on the topic of F30s I was just thinking of the timeline for my own F30 (not NIMH). I'm beginning to think they're all one big mirage/joke.

First application submitted August 2006
Priority score received December 2006.
Notification that it would not be funded March 2007.
Resubmission April 2007.
Priority score received June 2007.
E-mailed the official and was told that was a likely fundable score in July 2007 (for 9/1/2007 start date)
One page of required additional paperwork sent (FedEx) beginning of August
One page of paperwork actually received beginning of September
Received preliminary funding notice in December (I think)
As of March 2008, they are still reviewing the information received last September, and have no timeline for when grant will be paid.

So do these grants actually exist? I'm not convinced.

The upshot of all this was that NIMH was considering a reduction in the money spent for training (in 2004 they spent >12% of their budget on training the highest of any NIH institutes, and far above the average of 7%) in favor of more money for new research grants.

I'm not convinced that's an upshot. Research grants are so much bigger than training grants to begin with so how many research grants will you get for each training grant? That's far fewer grants given to begin with. Then the existing, established PIs are having an easier time getting funding (which isn't saying much but still) while one of the biggest reasons people are getting out of research right now is it's almost impossible to get going as a new PI. Ergo, it just makes the situation worse for us young people. Cut more of the training grants so we have less people going into research and fund the people who are already established. Is that a good thing? I guess it depends how you look at it. From my viewpoint as someone who is still seriously considering proceeding into science (in a MH capacity? Possibly), it doesn't sound like a good thing. Training grants are about the only thing we have left to rely on in research fellowships or as assistant professors. If they tighten up, we probably won't even have as many training positions around and so we'll have to compete even for those. Further, if they tighten up maybe we'll get absolutely 0 grants and look like complete failures instead of just failing to obtain tenure due to our inability to get 2 R01s...

I would imagine that some at the NIH see the correlation between the MD and a lack of interest (commitment? success?) in research. NIMH gets points for being the leader in commitment to training young investigators, but at some point they have to ask themselves if their strategy is paying off. It appears that at this time they seek to support current productivity over uncertain promise.

Starving the cubs so the old lion can feed does not seem like a sustainable strategy for the future, but that is what we have in this, the fifth year of a flat NIH budget.

See brokenpipeline.org for some perspectives on the situation facing young investigators.

Hello all,
I just received a priority score for my NHLBI F30 application and really have no idea if it's competitive or not. The NHLBI website gave a cutoff of 40% for fellowships, but given that they didn't give me a percentile ranking this fact is not helpful at all. Given some of the other comments on this thread it sounds like the score cut off is highly dependent on the particular program and application cycle. Do people recommend contacting the program official to inquire? Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the review meeting did you get your score? I also applied for an NHLBI F30 this cycle, and the review section is meeting this week, so I'm wondering how much longer I'll have to wait to get feedback. Good luck to both of us!

How long after the review meeting did you get your score? I also applied for an NHLBI F30 this cycle, and the review section is meeting this week, so I'm wondering how much longer I'll have to wait to get feedback. Good luck to both of us!

Hi Penguin,
My application was scheduled for review for the 18th and they had posted my score in ERA by the 19th if you can believe it. The score itself isn't particularly helpful since they don't give you a percent ranking, but as Neuronix suggested, I contacted the PO and he was quite helpful. Good luck!

Wow! That's faster than I would've thought. I doubt mine will be posted by tomorrow because it's a holiday, but with any luck I can stop biting my nails on Monday...Thanks.

Did the PO tell you what the priority score cutoff was, or are they handling this more on an individual basis? Thanks for your help.

Did the PO tell you what the priority score cutoff was, or are they handling this more on an individual basis? Thanks for your help.

Yeah, it was fast, I was really surprised. He did not tell me what the cut off was. I suspect that since they haven't finished reviewing all the apps that they haven't decided on one yet. I did however, ask him if, given my score, he could tell me whether I needed to consider preparing to re-submit for the next cycle. Thankfully the answer was no!

I just got my priority score, but the program official was unavailable when I called. I guess I'll spend the entire weekend wondering...

Oh no! Really? Did you try e-mailing him? I e-mailed him and he got back to me pretty promptly.

I left a voicemail. My score wasn't posted until 4:30, so I assume she had already left for the weekend. I don't want to leave both a voicemail and an e-mail and seem like a pest...I'll call again Monday afternoon. I just wish they would post the cutoff for priority scores, or at least some sort of range where it might be.

Stipend:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-07-057.html

Tuition:
The NIH will reimburse 100 percent of the cost of tuition up to $3,000 and 60 percent of that cost above $3,000 for the fellow. Tuition, for the purposes of this policy, means the combined cost of tuition, fees, and health insurance (see below).

Other:
Institutional Allowance. At the time of publication of this program announcement, F30 fellows receive an institutional allowance of $2,750 per 12-month period to non-federal, or nonprofit sponsoring institutions to help defray such awardee expenses as research supplies, equipment, books, and travel to scientific meetings.

Grant info:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-05-151.html

Stipend levels for '08 (same as they were for '07):

Under the "Scholastic Performance" section, for pre-docs they say list all undergrad and graduate courses with grades - seriously? The bio sketch can't exceed 4 pages - this would be pretty much 2 pages for me. Can't I just omit the first few years of undergraduate classes and put my MCAT score in a bigger font? :(

That's what they want... It does seem kind of silly. I ommitted a lot of my med school courses because they don't really break us down into courses and it's all P/F the first year and a half anyways, and the first set of comments I got asked where those grades were. They also wanted to know where my MCAT and/or GRE scores were, so I stuck those in above the grades.

I just built a table in Word. I put two large columns: science and other. I then broke each of those down into "Year" "Course Title" and "Grade" subcolumns. I don't know where I got the idea to do this, but I'm sure I got it from somewhere (is it in the stock form?). Anyhow at 11 point font it took about a little over page to list everything. I stuck in little notes about the med school grading systems where applicable. i.e.

CLINICAL ROTATIONS
(H/HP/P/F grading)

above the clinical rotations section. With everything else at 11 point font and the standard .5" margins all around, that put me at almost exactly 3 pages.

Crap - well there goes that grant. :( I thought once I got into medical school I could bid farewell to my stupid undergrad grades, alas - no dice.

Stipend:

Tuition:
The NIH will reimburse 100 percent of the cost of tuition up to $3,000 and 60 percent of that cost above $3,000 for the fellow. Tuition, for the purposes of this policy, means the combined cost of tuition, fees, and health insurance (see below).

Other:
Institutional Allowance. At the time of publication of this program announcement, F30 fellows receive an institutional allowance of $2,750 per 12-month period to non-federal, or nonprofit sponsoring institutions to help defray such awardee expenses as research supplies, equipment, books, and travel to scientific meetings.

Grant info:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-05-151.html

Stipend levels for '08 (same as they were for '07):

You no longer get $3000 paid then 60%. b/c of funding cuts you just get 60% total; the further $$ depending on what type of institution you work /research for. I got a NIH from NINDS and it does take forever, but worth the wait. my institutional allowance is more than you quoted too its ~ $4000, but this includes costs for insurance and travel and anything else (books/laptop etc) that you can squeeze out of it. Good Luck!

How did you get into an MD/PhD program with grades that bad :confused: I think you'll be fine.

I did well in my post-bacc and on the MCAT, plus I've really worked hard in grad school (4.0 & on track for 4 pubs in my first year) so I had some shiny objects to distract them from the wasteland that is my undergraduate transcript.

The upside is that my bad grades are almost all in harder math classes like real analysis and other BS like that. If I can get some exciting data this summer, then I think I may give it a shot. But if not then I'm taking a little vacation before starting classes in August.

I just submitted my F30 last Monday night. I think it has a decent shot but who really knows...........

I'm just hoping that not many predoc's have submitted this year for the first cycle.

How long after the advisory council meeting do you find out if your F30 grant has been funded? The NHLBI meeting was yesterday. When and how will I find out if my proposal was funded? Thanks.

This is all I know:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5383993&postcount=52

For those who are following/care, my grant stilll hasn't been funded 10 months after the supposed start date. Grants management at my University has gotten involved to try to get it done. They've commended me on giving the NIH everything they've asked for promptly, and yet it still doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

I e-mailed the PO for the NHLBI F30 about when I might expect to find out the funding status. I'll copy/paste his response below, although it can best be summed up as "soon," whatever that means.

"The NHLBI Staff Committee concurred with the recommendation of the initial review group. We are now waiting for the May 2008 F-series pay plan from the Director, NHLBI. You will be informed via e-mail of the final status of your application when we receive the pay plan, which will be soon. If your application is funded, the pay letter will provide instructions for activating the award. The award cannot be activated earlier then the issue date of the award."

Take a deep breath, try not to think about it, and relax until you get some sort of notification - my F30 was funded 2 full grant cycles after I got the score, but that was the first notification I got either way on the funding. Even a rejection letter would have been appreciated, but apparently with the training grants, they can use the full calender year rather than just the individual grant cycle to decide on funding (good for trainees, bad for their nerves). Some institutes might run differently (hopefully), and I have no experience with NHLBI.

Neuronix - I had a similar issue with getting things started - I believe it took 6-7 months, and I had our dedicated program assistant taking care of everything and talking to the NIH and university people on my behalf. Good luck.

so Neuronix and others, after having gone through this would you recommend it to others?

I'm just starting grad school and planning to do it in 3 yrs (I have the right project and mentor to get it done, now just need a healthy dose of luck). It looks like it took you at least 2 years AFTER SUBMITTING to get funded, basically right when you were leaving grad school. I know you got a decent institutional allowance for M3 books, Step II, etc. But from reading all of the posts on here, it seems like it is not allowed to use that allowance to travel to residency interviews (except to fudge it by saying you are going to coincident "scientific meetings"). Furthermore, your school did not supplement your stipend accordingly (as mine also refuses to do).

So I am sitting here weighing the pros and cons of going through this:

PROS
-looks good on a CV. Frankly this is way too temporally delayed of a Pro to have much pull. If you do great research as a fellow, publish well, and get a nice K, is an F30 that you got in grad school really going to make the difference between getting an Asst. Prof. job and not getting it? Seems doubtful to me.
-get experience working with NIH. F--- that. I mean, yes, it's good, but after all of the bureaucracy that I've read about it here, this is not appealing, even if it is "practical knowledge". But who knows how things will change in the next 8ish years before I am ready to apply for a K award. Maybe they will actually streamline the grant application system, which has supposedly been in the works forever. Then this "getting experience" could actually be counter-productive, or at the minimum a wash.
-institutional allowance. Yes this seems nice, but my PI is well-funded and I think I can get allowance for travel to meetings, etc. from him if needed. As for M3, nobody seems to buy a whole lot of books, and everybody already owns a stethoscope, reflex hammer, etc. Pagers are given to us. Step II is a costly expense but not a whole lot compared to residency travel, which, as I mentioned above, shouldn't really be covered by the allowance according to my reading of the F30 literature and what I have read on this board.
-help out my MSTP program, my PI, etc. Yes I suppose this is a pro, but my program isn't willing to give me a supplement to my stipend at all, so if they aren't going to compensate my effort then what is my incentive? Altruism is all well and good but the Gordon Gekko in me thinks that a month of my effort deserves at least a modicum of compensation. As for my PI, he could probably use the money (who couldn't?) but it's not going to make or break him by any stretch of the imagination.
-get feedback from a study section about one's project. This is probably the best thing I can see coming out of this. But in my grad program our qualifying exam is basically a grant proposal for our thesis, so I will effectively already get this once. Plus by the time I have gone through the process of getting the F30, I might only have a year left in grad school, at which point many of the experiments will have already been done. And if they haven't, it will have probably been because my project totally shifted gears, and the F30 proposal feedback is no longer relevant to my work.

CONS
-they're hard to get. This message board is filled with people who got them, but they also cite cutoff scores and percentages and whatnot which seem to indicate that they are not sure locks. And I'm sure there are plenty of non-posters who didn't make the cut.
-no stipend supplement
-TIME. Seems like people waste an awful lot of time on these things, and especially on the red tape. Even older MSTPs at my program say that after passing their quals, they still took 3-4wks to convert that into an F30 and write all of the other stuff, then do all of the paperwork. That's 1 month of time that could be spent doing experiments to help me to get out of grad school ASAP.
-ethically, I don't think I could use the institutional allowance for residency interviews, which are the main cost of MS3-4.
-hassle. Dealing with all of the red tape does not appeal to me. People might chide me here for not facing up to the reality that is getting funding from the NIH and whatnot. My reply would be: why bother with it right now when I don't have to, when I can just be a carefree grad student for a few years? And if I decide to continue on a research career later, THEN I can deal with all of that bulls---?

Right now, I have to say that the cons seem to outweigh the pros. Maybe I am just being pessimistic, but I don't think so. I'm normally a pretty optimistic guy, I feel great about my PI and project, I'm confident that grad school will go reasonably well. You could say that I am not yet jaded. But I was looking around at our MSTP retreat a few weeks ago and wondering why - if these grants were really so great - only two people had gotten one of these in the last two years from my program. I think the answer is that it's just not worth it, for the reasons I enumerated above.

Thoughts?

so Neuronix and others, after having gone through this would you recommend it to others?

I'm just starting grad school and planning to do it in 3 yrs (I have the right project and mentor to get it done, now just need a healthy dose of luck). It looks like it took you at least 2 years AFTER SUBMITTING to get funded, basically right when you were leaving grad school. I know you got a decent institutional allowance for M3 books, Step II, etc. But from reading all of the posts on here, it seems like it is not allowed to use that allowance to travel to residency interviews (except to fudge it by saying you are going to coincident "scientific meetings"). Furthermore, your school did not supplement your stipend accordingly (as mine also refuses to do).

So I am sitting here weighing the pros and cons of going through this:

PROS
-looks good on a CV. Frankly this is way too temporally delayed of a Pro to have much pull. If you do great research as a fellow, publish well, and get a nice K, is an F30 that you got in grad school really going to make the difference between getting an Asst. Prof. job and not getting it? Seems doubtful to me.
-get experience working with NIH. F--- that. I mean, yes, it's good, but after all of the bureaucracy that I've read about it here, this is not appealing, even if it is "practical knowledge". But who knows how things will change in the next 8ish years before I am ready to apply for a K award. Maybe they will actually streamline the grant application system, which has supposedly been in the works forever. Then this "getting experience" could actually be counter-productive, or at the minimum a wash.
-institutional allowance. Yes this seems nice, but my PI is well-funded and I think I can get allowance for travel to meetings, etc. from him if needed. As for M3, nobody seems to buy a whole lot of books, and everybody already owns a stethoscope, reflex hammer, etc. Pagers are given to us. Step II is a costly expense but not a whole lot compared to residency travel, which, as I mentioned above, shouldn't really be covered by the allowance according to my reading of the F30 literature and what I have read on this board.
-help out my MSTP program, my PI, etc. Yes I suppose this is a pro, but my program isn't willing to give me a supplement to my stipend at all, so if they aren't going to compensate my effort then what is my incentive? Altruism is all well and good but the Gordon Gekko in me thinks that a month of my effort deserves at least a modicum of compensation. As for my PI, he could probably use the money (who couldn't?) but it's not going to make or break him by any stretch of the imagination.
-get feedback from a study section about one's project. This is probably the best thing I can see coming out of this. But in my grad program our qualifying exam is basically a grant proposal for our thesis, so I will effectively already get this once. Plus by the time I have gone through the process of getting the F30, I might only have a year left in grad school, at which point many of the experiments will have already been done. And if they haven't, it will have probably been because my project totally shifted gears, and the F30 proposal feedback is no longer relevant to my work.

CONS
-they're hard to get. This message board is filled with people who got them, but they also cite cutoff scores and percentages and whatnot which seem to indicate that they are not sure locks. And I'm sure there are plenty of non-posters who didn't make the cut.
-no stipend supplement
-TIME. Seems like people waste an awful lot of time on these things, and especially on the red tape. Even older MSTPs at my program say that after passing their quals, they still took 3-4wks to convert that into an F30 and write all of the other stuff, then do all of the paperwork. That's 1 month of time that could be spent doing experiments to help me to get out of grad school ASAP.
-ethically, I don't think I could use the institutional allowance for residency interviews, which are the main cost of MS3-4.
-hassle. Dealing with all of the red tape does not appeal to me. People might chide me here for not facing up to the reality that is getting funding from the NIH and whatnot. My reply would be: why bother with it right now when I don't have to, when I can just be a carefree grad student for a few years? And if I decide to continue on a research career later, THEN I can deal with all of that bulls---?

Right now, I have to say that the cons seem to outweigh the pros. Maybe I am just being pessimistic, but I don't think so. I'm normally a pretty optimistic guy, I feel great about my PI and project, I'm confident that grad school will go reasonably well. You could say that I am not yet jaded. But I was looking around at our MSTP retreat a few weeks ago and wondering why - if these grants were really so great - only two people had gotten one of these in the last two years from my program. I think the answer is that it's just not worth it, for the reasons I enumerated above.

Thoughts?

As far as I know, the allowance would let you purchase a fresh computer each year, if you wish. Also, any textbooks/references you would need, and costs for meetings if your boss is stretched (building a textbook library is an idea :laugh: ). Also, in MS3/4 that should cover any prep/review books for shelf exams (possibly also a question bank like USMLE world?), Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.

Regarding no supplement, does this mean you would lose money from your current stipend or merely not make more than if you had never done the grant? Our program supplements the stipend up to their "going" rate, so you are not financially penalized for getting the fellowship.

I hated doing this application (it's in the process of being reviewed right now), but in retrospect I did learn how to put together an NIH-format grant, and apparently the F30 format now is the same as that of many of the "big" grants (page limits being a major difference).

The most efficient way to go about doing it is to make it your qualifier, so the same "grant" for the qualifier counts for the F30. The only problem is that you wouldn't be able to show your F30 to your boss before you send it in (because it would count for the qualifier shortly after F30 submission), which is unfortunate.

As far as I know, the allowance would let you purchase a fresh computer each year, if you wish. Also, any textbooks/references you would need, and costs for meetings if your boss is stretched (building a textbook library is an idea :laugh: ). Also, in MS3/4 that should cover any prep/review books for shelf exams (possibly also a question bank like USMLE world?), Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.

Regarding no supplement, does this mean you would lose money from your current stipend or merely not make more than if you had never done the grant? Our program supplements the stipend up to their "going" rate, so you are not financially penalized for getting the fellowship.

I hated doing this application (it's in the process of being reviewed right now), but in retrospect I did learn how to put together an NIH-format grant, and apparently the F30 format now is the same as that of many of the "big" grants (page limits being a major difference).

The most efficient way to go about doing it is to make it your qualifier, so the same "grant" for the qualifier counts for the F30. The only problem is that you wouldn't be able to show your F30 to your boss before you send it in (because it would count for the qualifier shortly after F30 submission), which is unfortunate.

agree those are tempting goodies but I'm still not sure they're enough of an enticement.

I would get the same stipend as everybody else, i.e. as if I hadn't won the F30, but would not get a boost like a lot of schools give.

thanks for the advice about logistics.

Why wouldn't you do everything within your power to be successful now, rather than counting on scoring a K award later in your training? I was just at a panel discussion today on how academic search committees pick candidates to interview for faculty slots, and every rep on the panel confirmed that they look for evidence of successful grantsmanship to ID strong candidates, including that from graduate school. Laugh now, but once you make it through the maze of residency, clinical fellowships, research fellowships and the like that will take you through your training until you're ready to enter academia (if that's your ultimate goal), there may not have been enough time at a single institution to develop, write, revise and make successful application for a K award.

During grad school, etc, I didn't anticipate landing a dream fellowship @ the NIH (where I am now), which is fantastic, but it puts me at a disadvantage with grant experience for my post-doc years. Thus, it's a relief that I already have successful F30 experience on my CV for when I start applying for tenure-track positions in the next 2 years- one less piece of the puzzle to stress about. I'm still pulling together data for an F application, and will be for at least 6 more months, so there's really no guarantee that I'll have a shiny new grant in hand ready to go with my faculty application package. Like most of us, I didn't teach during grad school, and I'm not now, which is a black mark that we have to deal with (so much for the 'triple threat') - why would you intentionally disadvantage yourself further?

FYI - it depends on your specific department whether you can use the F30 app as your grant for your candidacy exam, whether or not your PI can help with it (BTW - it's probably not getting funded if he/she doesn't ever see it prior to submission, and most PIs wouldn't be okay with a blind submission), and whether you have to do anything in addition. For example, I wrote my F30, submitted (with edits from my PI), then used it a few months later for my qualifying exam but had to write a new specific aim and develop a research plan for it (lame, right?)

Solitude - it's your life, but consider not talking yourself out of making the application before you've even tried.

I would definitely echo the advice that it is good to have applied for your own grant during grad school. There is a lot of learning to do in dealing with the NIH, and it is good to do in the more relaxed environment of the F30 when your career isn't hanging on the line.

Another thing about the F30 to remember is that unlike RO1 grants, it is a training grant so the science is only one part of it. Don't quote me on this but I have heard that the scores are usually 1/3 applicant history, 1/3 mentor and environment, and 1/3 science. What this means is recommendation letters and mentor letters play a large role in the award process and are what I think helped me.

Also don't play down the institutional allowance that you can get from the grant. That is an extra $4,200 that you can use almost however you want. Like you said you aren't able to use it for residency interviews or travel to step II, but Step 2 registration costs add up quickly. Also one of the reasons MS3's might not buy a lot of books is because of the cost.

Finally as people have said when applying for residency, fellowship, and academic jobs, being able to say that you have already been funded by the NIH is a huge step up over others and I think really shows your interest in an academic career.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if the institutional allowance rolls over year to year or does any unspent money disappear? Someone in my department said that it rolls over but I don't know if I should trust them. Thanks.

I have mixed feelings. My school takes a large chunk of my allowance and tends to heckle me about a lot of things I want to spend the money on. Is it really so much to ask for a wireless keyboard and mouse set and headset for my laptop?! I'm wondering what else my school will heckle me about.

It looks like it took you at least 2 years AFTER SUBMITTING to get funded, basically right when you were leaving grad school.

Even with the grant coming in right before I left grad school, Step 2 CS and CK cost ~$1800!!! Since my grant was essentially my pre-lim defense and thesis project, the return on investment for that alone isn't too bad. Adding in that I've purchased other things with the grant, it's not a bad chunk of change.

But I was looking around at our MSTP retreat a few weeks ago and wondering why - if these grants were really so great - only two people had gotten one of these in the last two years from my program. I think the answer is that it's just not worth it, for the reasons I enumerated above.

Thoughts?

I think a lot of people simply aren't eligible for these grants. There aren't many institutes that sponsor F30 grants. A buddy of mine in the program here submitted an F30 to NINDS about the structure and function of a membrane protein and received an excellent score. At the NIH committee meeting his grant was nixed because it was not related enough to Neuroscience and they told him to please not reapply. Since that time he has not found anywhere else that will accept the grant. This left him doing all that work for nothing.

NINDS no longer supports F30, now the neuroscience people can only apply for F31, which doesn't seem to cover clinical years.

thanks for the replies.

Kung Foo, fibrosis--I didn't realize that faculty search committees cared about grad school grantsmanship. This will certainly bias me in favor of applying.

Neuronix and Ariodant--I saw the same thing about the F31 not covering the clinical years. But I was wondering if that is what the F30 always said and it has just been used to pay for MS3 and MS4 anyway? On the website it says it will cover you for "5 years until you receive your doctorate", but it won't cover the clinical years. However, if we don't technically receive our PhD until after we are done with medical school then you could make an argument...albeit a shady one.

I will e-mail the NINDS guy about this. If the grant won't cover my Step II and MS3 books then this will certainly bias me against applying, as these perks seem to be one of the two major perks (the other being that it helps your CV).

direct quote from NINDS fellowship director:

"This award mechanism was changed from an F30 to an F31 to focus support on the PHD and not on the MD. The F31 would never pay for medical school. So no, this award cannot be used to support medical school in any way. It is for PHD training. (the fact that you may not get your degree until a certain date isn’t relevant). For fellowship funding, you must devote 100% of your time to research training. Just fyi, paying the cost of licensing is not really an allowable cost on any F. Fellowships are provided to pay for training, not clinical licensing. Just as a fellowship of any kind should not be used to pay for membership fees for a professional society. But that’s a moot point in this case."

this was in reference to the question of whether the F31 can be used for Step II costs, MS3 books/supplies, MS3/4 tuition and fees, etc.

direct quote from NINDS fellowship director:

"This award mechanism was changed from an F30 to an F31 to focus support on the PHD and not on the MD. The F31 would never pay for medical school. So no, this award cannot be used to support medical school in any way. It is for PHD training. (the fact that you may not get your degree until a certain date isn’t relevant). For fellowship funding, you must devote 100% of your time to research training. Just fyi, paying the cost of licensing is not really an allowable cost on any F. Fellowships are provided to pay for training, not clinical licensing. Just as a fellowship of any kind should not be used to pay for membership fees for a professional society. But that’s a moot point in this case."

this was in reference to the question of whether the F31 can be used for Step II costs, MS3 books/supplies, MS3/4 tuition and fees, etc.

Yes, I had just heard of this recently. Our MSTP director is worried that other institutes will follow the "bright idea" of the NINDS people and switch to F31, which is significantly less desirable from our standpoint and the medical school's. It may be that the F30 will be phased out into an F31, over time, so if you want it you might need to apply very soon.

Can you try a different institute? You can probably skew it towards something other than NINDS.

Yes, I had just heard of this recently. Our MSTP director is worried that other institutes will follow the "bright idea" of the NINDS people and switch to F31, which is significantly less desirable from our standpoint and the medical school's. It may be that the F30 will be phased out into an F31, over time, so if you want it you might need to apply very soon.

Can you try a different institute? You can probably skew it towards something other than NINDS.

interesting. That is a good thought but in the case of my project I really don't think it's possible--it fits very squarely in the NINDS portfolio. I could always pick a different project in the lab and use that as my proposal but then I wouldn't get as much benefit from the feedback because it would be purely an academic exercise.

I think I'm just going to wait until it's time to write my quals and then just take your advice and try to convert that into an F31 from NINDS. It sucks that I can't use it for med school but at least, if I won, I would get some CV recognition and also a new computer and some other supplies.