NRMP Releases 2020 Charting Outcomes Data for US DO Seniors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those are almost identical scores in terms of %tile
Percentiles of differing groups of test-takers to be nitpicky.

Ohmanwaddup, your Comlex doesn't matter. Stop worrying and look forward to the next challenge. Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If every DO had to take Step I suspect the average would be 215-220. Do not underestimate the bottom of the DO student pool, I think they would be able to get to the point of passing, but it wouldn't be by much.
My entire class has to take step and it’s not looking so great. Don’t get me wrong, there are some fantastic scores, many average scores, but also have been hearing some horror stories.

Reactions: 1 users
Does it matter at all if my step score is potentially very different from my complex? I got a 231 on step, but only a 523 on comlex. As I go through charting outcomes, with some specialties there seems to be occasionally quite a bit of flux in match rate between these two scores. I’m leaning towards Med/Peds right now ( though tbh after starting rotations idk if I’m smart enough to do anything in medicine lol)
My scores are very different- 612 and 221. I’m not sure how to determine what I’m competitive for. I let my anxiety get the best of me the first 2 blocks of step. Quite a bit lower than my last 3 practice exams. Salty about it, but it is what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I Agree, but in charting outcomes they seem to have different results which is why I asked, IE for my step score everyone matched, but for my comlex there were some that did not

Reactions: 1 user
Percentiles of differing groups of test-takers to be nitpicky.

Ohmanwaddup, your Comlex doesn't matter. Stop worrying and look forward to the next challenge. Enjoy!

You also have a ton of IMGs scoring < 190 on step 1

I believe they are not counted in the statistics. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty much certain I read that.
This is true. Our score reports and averages are only for US school exam takers. At least that’s what is says in your actual score report.

Reactions: 3 users
You also have a ton of IMGs scoring < 190 on step 1

This is true. Our score reports and averages are only for US school exam takers. At least that’s what is says in your actual score report.
US and Canada from my understanding but no other IMG's. So @sdhere1234 the percentiles don't reflect any IMG scores.

Not sure anyone mentioned it yet, but I was surprised to see how few FM applicants were taking step1. And furthermore how well they do despite that.

375 people took step1. 859 people did not. Match rates are comparable between the two.

I found this shocking. Does anyone know if these are final outcomes or first time attempts only? Because there’s a fair few step 1 failures on here that matched. Even if they did well on comlex I would really expect PDs to want them to retake step until they obtain passing scores. I get that it’s FM, but still.

I found this shocking. Does anyone know if these are final outcomes or first time attempts only? Because there’s a fair few step 1 failures on here that matched. Even if they did well on comlex I would really expect PDs to want them to retake step until they obtain passing scores. I get that it’s FM, but still.
Do you have to report you failed? I keep hearing conflicting things if DOs need to report their step score or not

Do you have to report you failed? I keep hearing conflicting things if DOs need to report their step score or not
You don't have to report your step scores as a DO. If you do decide to report step scores, they'll see all of your results (step 1, step 2 etc.). You can't pick and choose which one to report. So if you failed step 2 CK but passed Step 1, they'll see it. But if you decide to not report any steps right from the start, you're allowed to.

In the 2020 Match List thread, there was a lot of discussion about the competitiveness of Psych for DO students. Many people said to wait for the 2020 Charting Outcomes for a real answer.

Can someone speak to how competitive Psychiatry now is for DO grads?

Would one still need to get >16 interviews? Is matching into a solid university program in a desirable location still attainable? Was the "psych is the new derm" thing overblown?

From what I understand, matching psych anywhere was always doable, but matching into reputed programs in large cities is getting very difficult for DOs. Does the data support this?

Thanks!

Anyone who says you need to get 16+ interviews for psych is delusional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who says you need to get 16+ interviews for psych is delusional.
as a new insecure third year, i feel like im going to attend every interview invite I get. Im sure by interview season 4th year Ill mellow out though

Reactions: 3 users
as a new insecure third year, i feel like im going to attend every interview invite I get. Im sure by interview season 4th year Ill mellow out though
Dont do this lol

I’m not telling you not to attend all of your interview up to maybe 10. However, it is not exactly easy to get 16 psych interviews so nobody should be concerned about not being close to that number. SDN tends to Chatastrophize from minimal interpretation of information, and anecdotes quickly become dogma here. You could look at the data and conclude that 16 interviews is the number needed to pretty much guarantee a match, but few will get to that number, and most will still be ok.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not telling you not to attend all of your interview up to maybe 10. However, it is not exactly easy to get 16 psych interviews so nobody should be concerned about not being close to that number. SDN tends to Chatastrophize from minimal interpretation of information, and anecdotes quickly become dogma here. You could look at the data and conclude that 16 interviews is the number needed to pretty much guarantee a match, but few will get to that number, and most will still be ok.
Good point. I wonder if there is a decent resource on how many interviews the average applicant for each specialty gets?

I'm sure people are thankful for that, even if it's not always said. I know I am! The posters of SDN and Reddit have been life savers during this entire process. I try to help others out when I can, even though I'm going through the process right now. I've been able to ascertain that although my school is better than most other DO schools in regard to ERAS/residency advising, there's still a LOT that wasn't said to us. Especially when you look at something like WashU's publicly-available residency advising website: Residency Roadmap | Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis

You know about Charting Outcomes right? Just asking in case you don't.
I know about charting outcomes, I read and reread it all the time. I thought the interview portion though was talking about how likely you are to match given the amount of interviews you get, not the actual number of interviews the typical applicant gets

I know about charting outcomes, I read and reread it all the time. I thought the interview portion though was talking about how likely you are to match given the amount of interviews you get, not the actual number of interviews the typical applicant gets

You can use the "number of contiguous ranks" as a surrogate for number of interviews. Obviously some people don't rank all the interviews they got, but most people do, and in such a large pool that number will be inconsequential.

Reactions: 5 users
You can use the "number of contiguous ranks" as a surrogate for number of interviews. Obviously some people don't rank all the interviews they got, but most people do, and in such a large pool that number will be inconsequential.
Sounds good. ngl looking at this data point compared to the MD side is pretty depressing.