NPTE- July 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

end508

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread for discussion and results post on the July-NPTE. I thought the exam was (unnecessarily) difficult, with very few "easy" questions. Cannot wait to receive the results next week.
~Best of luck to everyone~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree, it was so hard and confusing. I felt so bad after I finished. Let's see how it goes....

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, it was so hard and confusing. I felt so bad after I finished. Let's see how it goes....
That was my feeling too :( . It didn't have to be that hard, I took the retired test (peta) and thought that was moderately challenging, but a fair exam. I wish I could say the same about the npte

Members don't see this ad :)
Always a chance some of those more confusing questions were part of the 50 thrown out.

Reactions: 1 users
In comparison to the PEAT tests it was way less straight forward. Hoping that it's just the case of the 50 questions that didn't count were the tough ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just felt it was a test that didn't reflect whether or not you are a good clinician. It was a test of strange topics that are of very little importance. In comparison to the PEAT tests it was way less straight forward. Hoping that it's just the case of the 50 questions that didn't count were the tough ones.
I agree!

I agree. Its my 3rd time taking this exam. And it was by far the hardest one. :(

Does everyone take the same exam? Are the extra 50 questions different? I didnt feel like the topic areas were evenly represented. It seemed like every time i clicked next i got a question about the exact same topic. It was quite a bit harder than the PEATS.

I thought the exam was unnecessarily difficult as well. I did well on all 10 (ugh yes 10) practice exams I took including both PEATs but felt that the actual exam did not cover very many clinically relevant topics. I felt like it was very hard and had very few straight forward questions. Of course afterwards I felt horrible and began counting the amount of mistakes I thought I'd made (including some easy questions I missed probably due to stress?) I'm really disappointed that I could have missed some easy ones that were few and far between and could mean the difference between a pass and fail. I'm glad to see that others thought the exam was rough too, but I just hope we ALL pass. When do results begin to be posted? Monday?

Reactions: 3 users
I thought the exam was unnecessarily difficult as well. I did well on all 10 (ugh yes 10) practice exams I took including both PEATs but felt that the actual exam did not cover very many clinically relevant topics. I felt like it was very hard and had very few straight forward questions. Of course afterwards I felt horrible and began counting the amount of mistakes I thought I'd made (including some easy questions I missed probably due to stress?) I'm really disappointed that I could have missed some easy ones that were few and far between and could mean the difference between a pass and fail. I'm glad to see that others thought the exam was rough too, but I just hope we ALL pass. When do results begin to be posted? Monday?
I agree with you! I took 9 practice exams and this was no where near any of them! I think it takes a week for you to find out if you passed or not, so next Tuesday or Wednesday depending on when you took the exam. I really hope everyone passes, because it was not a fun process and hate to see anyone goes through it again :/

It was a really bad feeling when I came out too! I agree with all of you... waiting is hard now! Good luck to all.. fingers crossed!

Starting a thread for discussion and results post on the July-NPTE. I thought the exam was (unnecessarily) difficult, with very few "easy" questions. Cannot wait to receive the results next week.
~Best of luck to everyone~
agree with how difficult it was--hoping a lot of the hardest questions are from the 50 that get tossed out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you! I took 9 practice exams and this was no where near any of them! I think it takes a week for you to find out if you passed or not, so next Tuesday or Wednesday depending on when you took the exam. I really hope everyone passes, because it was not a fun process and hate to see anyone goes through it again :/

I'm glad to hear that others feel the way I did but also hope that no one failed so that we don't have to go through it again. I felt so ready and just wanted to crush it but then I walked out feeling defeated.

I'm glad to hear that others feel the way I did but also hope that no one failed so that we don't have to go through it again. I felt so ready and just wanted to crush it but then I walked out feeling defeated.
Defeated, unfortunately, seems to be a common emotion after the NPTE.

Feeling the same way and I can already think of several fatigue-based errors. I both want to know and don't want to know the results simultaneously-thanks NPTE!
Discussing how I feel definitely helped, I'm going to be a mess until I know!

Last edited:
The exam was wayyy harder than i expected it to be. I took a lot of practice exams. Peat practice got an 84% retired npte 82% and i thought those were fairly difficult. This July npte was a lot harder than the Peats. It was like they put the hard Sullivan practice exam questions in there. A lot of topics i wasnt even used to. There were times when i had to guess so many times and i feel like they were wrong. I hope that the exam will have a low cut off score to pass because as of now i believe i failed.

Reactions: 5 users
☝️ i agree... exam was way harder as compared to april that i took got 597 missed by a few points.... bt honestly i feel some questions too hard, some so many repetitions and some irrelevant questions... i feel like every section i made 10-15 guesses.... so frustrated ... my family really thinks i will pass this time.. bt i hav no hopes so far.. keeping fingers crossed... dont wnt to go thru this process again nd again

Yeah I feel like there were a lot of guesses and more than a few silly mistakes but 5 hour exams don't lend themselves well to deep thought and focus as much to mindless clicking and quick guesses. My brain was completely fried toward the end. You could have thrown a rock at my face and I wouldn't have blinked

Can you guys with temp licenses apply for open positions already -- especially hospital-based SNF's? I'm getting tired of being asked to float to other areas for staff shortages. Particularly in the state of CA. In the SF Bay Area would be great.

By far the hardest test I have ever taken. Left the test feeling like all my months of studying were for nothing. I got 81% on both my PEATs and took multiple O'Sullivan and scorebuilders and felt very confident heading into the test, but I don't think I passed this exam. I felt like I guessed on half the questions and also missed serval ones I shouldn't have to to fatigue and getting tricked by the exam. Hoping for the best for everyone. Fingers crossed.

☝️ i agree... exam was way harder as compared to april that i took got 597 missed by a few points.... bt honestly i feel some questions too hard, some so many repetitions and some irrelevant questions... i feel like every section i made 10-15 guesses.... so frustrated ... my family really thinks i will pass this time.. bt i hav no hopes so far.. keeping fingers totcrossed... dont wnt to go thru this process again nd again
By far the hardest test I have ever taken. Left the test feeling like all my months of studying were for nothing. I got 81% on both my PEATs and took multiple O'Sullivan and scorebuilders and felt very confident heading into the test, but I don't think I passed this exam. I felt like I guessed on half the questions and also missed serval ones I shouldn't have to to fatigue and getting tricked by the exam. Hoping for the best for everyone. Fingers crossed.

I feel the EXACT same way. I'm so nervous. I don't want to have to go through it again and I hope none of you guys have to either. It was a totally unfair exam and I felt like after 3 months of studying I should have aced it but I'm wondering if I even passed.

I feel the EXACT same way. I'm so nervous. I don't want to have to go through it again and I hope none of you guys have to either. It was a totally unfair exam and I felt like after 3 months of studying I should have aced it but I'm wondering if I even passed.
I'm so nervous

For those of us that took it Tuesday morning are we expecting to hear results on Monday?

I hope that is true. Why do they gotta make it so damn hard?

Man I have no idea. I literally studied 4-6 hours a day for 3 months and felt like I didn't know anything when I walked out of there. It's an entry level exam---can't believe it had to be so difficult. I'm still kicking myself for the easier ones I missed, can't shake the feeling I failed.

Man I have no idea. I literally studied 4-6 hours a day for 3 months and felt like I didn't know anything when I walked out of there. It's an entry level exam---can't believe it had to be so difficult. I'm still kicking myself for the easier ones I missed, can't shake the feeling I failed.
I feel the exact wa. I counted like 10 easy ones I should've had! I changed a few because the exam messes with your mind so much. Just hoping I somehow pass this. Studied my ass off way to hard to fail.

Legitimately lifting my glass to you guys right now! I feel the same way and bicardi and coke is my tenporary response to this ridiculous pressure and elongated waiting!

I feel the exact wa. I counted like 10 easy ones I should've had! I changed a few because the exam messes with your mind so much. Just hoping I somehow pass this. Studied my ass off way to hard to fail.

No way you too??? I was kicking myself because I changed 2-3 for some unknown reason and missed a few more easier ones because my mind was so scrambled. I thought I was the only one!

I hope we all pass! I had a few glasses of wine last night to take the edge off lol. Talking to you all has definitely helped because now I know I'm not alone!

You are so not alone! We are all extremely smart and well-prepared or we would never have been accepted to DOT programs which are notoriously hard to get into. Here's the kicker: I've never failed an exam in my life, never worried about failing an exam in my life. Didn't study for the SATs or GRE
...and aced them. I rarely got a B...on anything-ever. And now this- after years of intense study and clinical rotations that I felt completely prepared for...wtf NPTE⁉️

Last april only took a 134/200? Thats already low lol. So that exam mustve been really hard. This exam should be around a 120/200 then

You are so not alone! We are all extremely smart and well-prepared or we would never have been accepted to DOT programs which are notoriously hard to get into. Here's the kicker: I've never failed an exam in my life, never worried about failing an exam in my life. Didn't study for the SATs or GRE
...and aced them. I rarely got a B...on anything-ever. And now this- after years of intense study and clinical rotations that I felt completely prepared for...wtf NPTE⁉️

Ugh this is soooo true. I have also never failed an exam in my life and felt extremely prepared for the NPTE, tried to have confidence in myself and even heard that the exam is notoriously straight forward and fair....then this happens!! My family keeps telling me to just "relax" but it's impossible knowing that I might have failed the biggest exam of my life....

The test was soooo hard. Gosh! I exhausted when I came out. For me except for the 50 questions, really hard...:dead: But let's see how it goes.
Finger crossed for everybody!

Tomorrow could be the day for Tuesday test takers (including myself)....anyone have any good strategies to distract me today? lol