NOVA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had an 88 pcat and was not accepted, so I'm assuming everyone that got in had super high pcats. either that or i got screwed.

I had extenuating personal circumstances regarding my low GPA which I am not discussing here, but a 2.95 GPA at UF really should count more than a slightly higher GPA at an easier college, and the 88 PCAT score should count more since it is standardized. I would think my 2 published drug research studies and my pharmaceutics lab assistant experience would have somewhat offset that, but apparently a low PCAT and a high GPA at some community college is preferable.

Oh, and they mailed me someone else's rejection letter, very professional.

Don't feel bad, Nova has somewhat of a reputation for having what I'll call a "haphazard" admissions process. I went to UM for undergrad and Nova to start my MBA and I didn't even apply to pharmacy school there last year because of the extreme lack of professionalism I experienced.

Standardized tests put everyone on the same playing field instead of comparing GPAs of schools of varying difficulty, which is apples and oranges. Do you really think a GPA of, say, 3.5 from University of Miami and a GPA of 3.5 from Palm Beach State (Community) College are equivalent?

I dont feel that is necessarily true, i took my classes at a community college Im a straight A student, and I also tutor UM, FIU and FAU students, and can easily ace their exams, so I believe there should not be any preference to which school you take your courses in, a grade is a grade no matter where you take it..

Have you actually attended both UM and Miami Dade? I have, and my classes at Miami Dade were 10 times easier. There were awesome students at both schools, and you could very well be one of those people who school comes easy for them, so naturally you would be fine at any college, however the level of courses at Miami-Dade (in general) were not as rigorous.

Lol no..just because you can does not mean the rest of the class can. I know FOR SURE if any of my class mates take any test from an university, they would fail. They can barely pass the dumbed down one the community college gives. An A in an university does not equal an A in CC. The teachers have way less expectations from students because a lot of people that go to CC is because they probably wouldn't have been accepted to an university and financial cost(there's the other factor, less family income does correlate with academic performance). Not everyone, of course.

truth. what campus are you at? i took classes in Kendall.

Members don't see this ad.

truth. what campus are you at? i took classes in Kendall.

I've been a little bit of a campus hoe. I've been to all of them except Kendall and homestead. So glad to be finishing this semester..I will miss the tuition though.

For those waiting for a seat, I gave up mine up today. Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had my interview last week for NOVA and am getting really antsy about the wait! Anyone else in the same boat? :eek:

i did too.... what day and time was yours??

March 8 at noon. Yours? They said the committee was meeting on Friday of that week so I assume maybe we'll hear back earlier...who knows. What'd you think about the interview process?

March 8 at noon. Yours? They said the committee was meeting on Friday of that week so I assume maybe we'll hear back earlier...who knows. What'd you think about the interview process?

Mine was Mar9 at 9am... I thought it went by pretty well, I did hear the same thing about the commitee meeting last friday, but then afterwards the dean reviews our apps, and he gets the final decision, and he gets up to a week to do that... so we just gota wait one more week most likely ;).. Hopefully we both get in :thumbup::D

Mine was Mar9 at 9am... I thought it went by pretty well, I did hear the same thing about the commitee meeting last friday, but then afterwards the dean reviews our apps, and he gets the final decision, and he gets up to a week to do that... so we just gota wait one more week most likely ;).. Hopefully we both get in :thumbup::D

Tracy said she's hoping to get the files in today. We'll see what happens. But yes, we better both get in!! :p

I just gave up my acceptance today. Good luck to whoever gets my spot!

Congrats CaramelDlite322! My interview is still 5 days away and with everything that I have to do in with school and preparing for the interview I'm almost as stressed as if it was PCAT week >.<

Congrats CaramelDlite322! My interview is still 5 days away and with everything that I have to do in with school and preparing for the interview I'm almost as stressed as if it was PCAT week >.<

Thanks! And don't stress too much about your interview, you're gonna be fine. I ran into a girl there who told me people who interview this late usually always get in unless you COMPLETELY blow an interview. Even though I don't know you, I know you're not gonna do that. So, I look forward to hearing about your acceptance, too. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a little bit of a campus hoe. I've been to all of them except Kendall and homestead. So glad to be finishing this semester..I will miss the tuition though.

Haha... the tuition is amazing. Florida has some of the cheapest state tuition, which is nice because not much else is cheap in Florida. lol

Where did you apply to pharmacy school?

I just gave up my acceptance today. Good luck to whoever gets my spot!

Where did you decide to go instead?

Where did you apply to pharmacy school?

NOVA, LECOM, UF, and PBA(but decided to not spend 31k a year and an extra $150 on supplemental app). I would only take NOVA and UF serious though. If I leave Miami it better be for some place somewhat fun.

Congrats!!! :D... Im still waiting on mine ......:eek:
Are you doing the ft lauderdale or west palm campus??

I would do the Ft. Lauderdale campus. I rather have live lectures and be in a different area. I grew up around West Palm. And, maybe I heard back so early because I emailed Tracy about whether or not she had any updates about the interviews? I don't know. But I really hope you hear back soon!!!!

Is the new building built in west palm yet? How do the lectures work at west palm?

Is the new building built in west palm yet? How do the lectures work at west palm?

I think they do webcasts. Though sometimes other campuses have live lectures, too. And, I can see the new building from the I-95 near Jupiter, FL. I'm pretty sure that's the new building at least. Not sure if it's complete yet, but it looks it.

Yea that is the building. And I heard its suppose to be state of the art. I got accepted to Nova couple wks ago. And now have my last interview with Lecom next wk. Anyone know which school is better Lecom or Nova. And Nova vs PBA? Thankssss

Yea that is the building. And I heard its suppose to be state of the art. I got accepted to Nova couple wks ago. And now have my last interview with Lecom next wk. Anyone know which school is better Lecom or Nova. And Nova vs PBA? Thankssss

If you google "NABP passing rates for the Naplex" and go to the NABP site you'll get a good idea of which school is better passing rate-wise. However, which school you should choose might be a more personal opinion as far as the right fit for you depending on location, cost, religious views, etc. I believe PBA is more expensive than Nova. Not sure about Lecom. If you're somewhat religious you might want to go to PBA.

I actually have been accepted to PBA and Nova so far, and have interview wit Lecom. And to be frank, im not religious at all, but PBA has made a good impression so has Nova. Im just deciding to see if Lecom will accept me, since they are cheapest private school in state, and have high Naplex passing scores..

I actually have been accepted to PBA and Nova so far, and have interview wit Lecom. And to be frank, im not religious at all, but PBA has made a good impression so has Nova. Im just deciding to see if Lecom will accept me, since they are cheapest private school in state, and have high Naplex passing scores..

Congratulations on your acceptances! :) Also, I hope your interview with Lecom goes well! It has been kind of a tough decision for me as to which school I should go to. I was accepted to PBA because I loved their interview process and the fact that everyone is so close knit. But, Nova is one of my top choices because of location amongst other things. Good luck with making the decision, though! A list of pros and cons is what I'm trying to come up with....:xf:

Hey prince, I was actually accepted to both schools and can tell you that the decision on which to attend was a hard one. I took into account the student feedback, passing rating, and the interview itself as well location. In the end, I'm going to nova but if I could attend both (impossible i know lol) I would do so because they both won me over. I cancelled all other interviews once I knew the two school's accepted me, they were just that impressive.

By the way, good luck on your upcoming Lecom interview. They make the whole interview process very interesting and time efficient. Prepare yourself for situational questions from the interviewers at Lecom, I and other friend's who later interviewed were all asked situational questions.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks. Caramel I did make a pros and cons list, but I didnt get too many points down. So if any of you guys make a pros and cons list with Nova and PBA plz post up on here, so I can get different perspercitves on the colleges positives and negatives.. Right now I would say Im goin to Nova, but if LEcom accepts me; im gonna be smoking and drinkin late into the night pondering over which school to pick.

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding travelling.
I have an interview at LECOM on 4/7 and another interview at NOVA on 4/12.
I come from California so I want to finish two interviews in one trip.
What's a good travel plan for me?
How should I travel from one school to another?
Should I book a round trip or two one way flight tickets?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding travelling.
I have an interview at LECOM on 4/7 and another interview at NOVA on 4/12.
I come from California so I want to finish two interviews in one trip.
What's a good travel plan for me?
How should I travel from one school to another?
Should I book a round trip or two one way flight tickets?
Thanks in advance :)

Well depending if money is an issue or not.... you can book a round trip and land in bradenton airport for your lecom interview,, rent a car and drive down (about 4 hrs) till you get to Broward County (where NSU is), and hangout until your NSU interview and leave from the ft lauderdale airport...... because the area around LECOM is very boring ... OR you can just do the one way flight tickets

I believe that the decision to attend one over the other should be judged by what you want out of a Pharmacy school.

Do you want something local?
In or neighboring a major city?
Is tuition a factor?
Graduation success rate?
Passing boards percentage rate?

I didn't pay too much mind to some ranking system's because the rankings may be subjective or biased depending on the source.

I made a decision of attending between Nova and Lecom; it was outlined by my feelings and answers to the questions above. And the feedback I received from faculty and students during my interviews and tours were helpful because they were particular to the questions I was asking during interviews and tours.

I hope this helps your assessment and decision, good luck!

May I ask which pharmacy school did you pick?

If you are a Facebook user, then you should add yourself to the group we have created.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_152541208130269

and CONGRATS!!:thumbup::thumbup:

CubanGator I noticed you are on two threads UF and NOVA. Did you get accepted to both or if you did which school would you attend. I ask because I am in that predicament myself. I was accepted in the UF Orlando site but was unimpressed with the location and facilities compared to NSU.

I had my interview on 3/22 and I've read on here before, it was unprofessional. I also behaved unprofessional, arriving 5 minutes late. Regardless of that since the interviewers weren't even there yet, it took about an hour something for the first interview. The tour was unorganized, labs are mediocre, and for 25k a year, in my opinion, you are not getting your money's worth.

So there is that probation two years ago, and looks like its heading that way again, one student commented that in one of the classes, half of the students are failing. Also, the standards have dropped to a level to me that feels somewhat disgusting, people getting accepted with 38 PCAT and a little above average GPA? I understand standardized tests are not everything, but I do feel like it shows enough about the applicant. Accepting students from the lower half of the spectrum will only lead to more probation, students who will struggle with the NAPLEX, and pharmacist who will not be prepared correctly for the field.

I probably shouldn't be bashing the school but this is something that is troubling me since NOVA is my only choice, for personal reasons, and I feel like it should be addressed.

Shadii are you plannin on goin to Ft.lauderdale campus or West Palm? And if West palm wat u think bout the streaming lectures?

Shadii are you plannin on goin to Ft.lauderdale campus or West Palm? And if West palm wat u think bout the streaming lectures?

Only reason I would choose West Palm campus would be the new facility but it's much father from my house and I just don't think I would like the streaming lectures. I've been used to not even worrying about the actual lectures because everything the professors say it comes directly from the book and the book usually explains it better. I asked a P2 if we needed book, and he said very rarely. They usually just give you a packet with everything you need to know, so it should be that much easier to follow along in a remote campus.

I'm more than likely to attend the main campus, mainly for location and the bigger campus, but I've read several comments from students who do not attend NOVA's or UF's main campus and they don't seem to mind at all.

Congrats to all who got accepted! I have my NOVA interview on April 13th. About how long after the interview does it normally take to find out a decision? And do they call you with a decision? Thank you :)

Congrats to all who got accepted! I have my NOVA interview on April 13th. About how long after the interview does it normally take to find out a decision? And do they call you with a decision? Thank you :)

No they do not call you, supposedly they email you but I havent received an email, i received a letter in the mail... im on an alternate candidate list :oops:, not so sure bout my chances of getting in, i got the notice about 3 weeks after my interview... committee meets only once a month so i would say at least 3-4 weeks.

Thank you and good luck!

No they do not call you, supposedly they email you but I havent received an email, i received a letter in the mail... im on an alternate candidate list :oops:, not so sure bout my chances of getting in, i got the notice about 3 weeks after my interview... committee meets only once a month so i would say at least 3-4 weeks.

I'm in! :D

We were supposed to hear back next week but it was much quicker. The dean accepted the same day he got the application and it was sent out 2 business days after.

I'm in! :D

We were supposed to hear back next week but it was much quicker. The dean accepted the same day he got the application and it was sent out 2 business days after.

Hi mate

Did you applied for international pharm D ?

I have interview on APR 28th.

After interview is done, how many days they will take to give out the decision ?
:confused:

wow this is amazing, i applied to Nova back in october/early november. They just sent me an interview invitation yesterday to west palm beach campus with options of different interview dates in april. Is that a bad sign that they invited me this late and not even to fort lauderdale? anyone please share your feedback? appreciate it. IS IT still worth it? I also got an interview from mercer on april 29th. I'm confused and help please

wow this is amazing, i applied to Nova back in october/early november. They just sent me an interview invitation yesterday to west palm beach campus with options of different interview dates in april. Is that a bad sign that they invited me this late and not even to fort lauderdale? anyone please share your feedback? appreciate it. IS IT still worth it? I also got an interview from mercer on april 29th. I'm confused and help please

Congrats on your interview!!! I'm assuming accepted candidates are given up their seats and admissions (NOVA) are looking to fill up the seats quickly. Same thing happen to me, but I declined my interview offers at other schools. Good luck! :thumbup:

Congrats on your interview!!! I'm assuming accepted candidates are given up their seats and admissions (NOVA) are looking to fill up the seats quickly. Same thing happen to me, but I declined my interview offers at other schools. Good luck! :thumbup:

I JUST DECLINED THE INTERVIEW invitation at nova. but i'll accept mercer's interview offer since it is my top choice and it's a well reputable school.

I just got an interview request for the class of 2015!!I'm going April 26 to interview. Anyone know anything about the West Palm beach location? also I would have to commute from Miami...I dont know what to do :confused:

I had my interview on 3/22 and I've read on here before, it was unprofessional. I also behaved unprofessional, arriving 5 minutes late. Regardless of that since the interviewers weren't even there yet, it took about an hour something for the first interview. The tour was unorganized, labs are mediocre, and for 25k a year, in my opinion, you are not getting your money's worth.

So there is that probation two years ago, and looks like its heading that way again, one student commented that in one of the classes, half of the students are failing. Also, the standards have dropped to a level to me that feels somewhat disgusting, people getting accepted with 38 PCAT and a little above average GPA? I understand standardized tests are not everything, but I do feel like it shows enough about the applicant. Accepting students from the lower half of the spectrum will only lead to more probation, students who will struggle with the NAPLEX, and pharmacist who will not be prepared correctly for the field.

I probably shouldn't be bashing the school but this is something that is troubling me since NOVA is my only choice, for personal reasons, and I feel like it should be addressed.

Actually some of those people who probably scored 38% on the pcat was probably due to english or reading like myself. I did well in Biology, Chemistry, and Math. So I'm not to sure your on point with that.

Actually some of those people who probably scored 38% on the pcat was probably due to english or reading like myself. I did well in Biology, Chemistry, and Math. So I'm not to sure your on point with that.

I personally know these people and no it was not just because of language. Not every case is the same, so I got with generalization. Bio people seem to do well, its the math and chemistry which lower their score. And to get in the 30's, the person had to do extremely poor/poor in 2/3 sections and okay in the others. Regardless, being well versed and comprehending English is important, while I did not score as great as I would have wanted in those two sections, I did alright.

I think you will get in. The Dean at Nova takes pride in the fact that he graduates more Latino Pharmacists than any other school. I know of a girl last year accepted with a 58 PCAT. Check out Pharmapplicants.com. Good luck with your application.

Hey anyone here looking for a roommate for West palm beach campus?

we have to wear scrubs? im confused bc i thought it was business attire or w/e. im from ga and none of the phamarcists that i have ever worked with have worn scrubs (with the exception of doing rotations in hospitals). btw, im part of the 2011 entering class..accepted december 2010! just not active on here...

we have to wear scrubs? im confused bc i thought it was business attire or w/e. im from ga and none of the phamarcists that i have ever worked with have worn scrubs (with the exception of doing rotations in hospitals). btw, im part of the 2011 entering class..accepted december 2010! just not active on here...
:)

Hey guys! is anyone interviewing on April 26th:)???Im coming down and I'm pretty nervous. Also, does anyone know anything about the Live Streaming lectures?? how far is it away from the ft.lauderdal location?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether the NOVA sends out rejection letter for those who did not get interview invites? So should I give up on waiting for interview invite?

Hey guys does anyone have an interview this friday at the WPB campus? Also does anyone know if they have on campus housing there or do you have to find your own apartment?