Nov. '11 NMAT in L.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmesina

easily amused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Thought Id start the thread and get some dialogue going for everyone taking the NMAT in LA. I plan to apply as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

NMAT exam registration begins this August. I know it's still quite far away, but I'm wondering who intends on taking it, particularly in the Los Angeles site? Please feel free to discuss anything regarding it.

I'd also be happy to answer any questions regarding prepping for it - I have the registration packet and materials.

I actually wanted to fly overseas to catch the April NMAT administered in PI, but I missed the deadline for registration by one day =/.. If I had caught it, I could've been included in the app cycle for this year's entering classes which starts in June. :thumbdown:

I'm going to have to keep busy this coming year, so I signed up for an Endocrinology class and am applying for EMT jobs. I'll also be taking the MCAT and GRE's for some post-bacc programs here in CA (I have a whole year now)-- That said, if anyone is interested in studying for the NMAT, PM me or just post. I'd be happy to discuss some of the general topics included in the practice exams.

youre taking the nmat, mcat, and the gre??

are you planning to apply for US med schools? and your masters??

why so much?

Members don't see this ad :)
youre taking the nmat, mcat, and the gre??

are you planning to apply for US med schools? and your masters??

why so much?

NMAT - My original intention was to apply to UST and UERM. And as far as my life goes right now, it's the best choice. Spend time with family in PI, get a great education and hopefully come back and match into a residency, hopefully with minimal financial burden. I missed the opportunity to apply for this June's class, and now I have to wait a year (long time).

GRE - For post bacc programs here in the states. Some premed post bacc's require the GRE for admission. I intend on applying to Keck graduate institute (has linkages to Western, G.Washington and Drexel SOM's) and SFSU post bacc since I have a whole year now. If I get into a U.S. med school, after a year post-bacc, I'll just do that. I originally intended on practicing in the military anyway, so the loans wouldn't be so bad. I also intended on doing this (usaf med) if I had an education from PI.

MCAT - Studying for it, but am NOT going to take it until I'm sure I'm ready (like consistently getting >30 on aamc practice exams). Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a good MCAT score even though it isn't required by PI schools, and would probably reflect positively.

It doesn't hurt to apply widely (maybe hurt a lil financially, registration/apps are a bit expensive, but PI apps are most expensive lol)

-Also, taking the NMAT and GRE should be simpler feats that taking the MCAT, but each test has distinctive passage/problem styles. I just have to get used to the different approaches for the items.

I'm a little shameful to admit this, but since I graduated, test prep has been a hobby of mine :rolleyes: = NERD

It's nerdy, but I like to spend time at Barne's and look through various test prep materials, for the MCAT and GRE. I've also looked into First AID and Kaplan books for USMLE step 1 exams. I think it'd benefit me to start familiarizing myself with 'basic science years' material covered on the step, especially if I'll be studying in PI, where they don't particularly prepare you for it.

For my endocrinology class (through my university's extension), I found that the endo section in Kaplan's MEDessentials book contained all the illustrations and charts relevant to my class. I ended up buying the book since it was pretty much an abbreviated First AID book and I intend on referring to it and annotating it throughout my postbacc classes and maybe even classes in PI. I believe that it's never too soon to prepare (for the step).

I emailed the coordinator for any details. I'm hoping to take it this year as well. Does it seem hard? I don't have any of the registration/preparation materials yet.

I emailed the coordinator for any details. I'm hoping to take it this year as well. Does it seem hard? I don't have any of the registration/preparation materials yet.

I am also waiting for a response on the exact registration dates for this year. Have they contacted you yet? I have a practice test from when I was planning on taking it last year. The practice test was not too difficult. The test covers the basic sciences and the rest of the subjects are straight forward such as verbal, inductive reasoning, and perceptual acuity. It has been a long time since I've studied the basic sciences so I've been reviewing using MCAT materials and my old text books. If you can do well on the MCAT, this exam would be a breeze. Plus some schools like do not place a lot of emphasis on getting high score on this exam, but it is always good to perform at your best. :D

So I tried emailing the coordinator around 3 weeks ago regarding the registration process, but I have yet to receive a response or a callback. Anyone have any other contact information besides ([email protected])? Also, has anyone heard anything back? I don't have any test materials/registration materials yet.

So I tried emailing the coordinator around 3 weeks ago regarding the registration process, but I have yet to receive a response or a callback. Anyone have any other contact information besides ([email protected])? Also, has anyone heard anything back? I don't have any test materials/registration materials yet.

i took the exam in 09, and i found an old phone number and ended up calling him:
Mr. Godfrey Vergara
P.O. Box 3553
Granada Hills, CA 91394-0553
(818) 612-4490; (818) 997-7117
(http://www.asianjournal.com/fil-am-...ssion-test-nmat-conducted-in-los-angeles.html)

hopefully he hasnt changed it. good luck!

anyone know the exact date of the November test? I tried emailing him as well and no response.

Hey everyone,

I just spoke with Mr. Vergara just now and he wanted me to tell you all that the NMAT will be on Sunday, December 4th, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. I was also under the impression that NMAT was in November but he explained that the exams in the Philippines and US will be given at the same time. Hope this helps.

Hey everyone,

I just spoke with Mr. Vergara just now and he wanted me to tell you all that the NMAT will be on Sunday, December 4th, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. I was also under the impression that NMAT was in November but he explained that the exams in the Philippines and US will be given at the same time. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info..I shall forward this to a friend of mine.

Has anyone gotten the answer key to part I of the practice test yet? I definitely tried to check my answers with it today and started to freak out.

Anybody know what time the exam will be held? I've tried calling/emailing the coordinator, but haven't gotten a response yet.

.... till then good luck studying everyone :)

He is pretty easy to contact. If not he is usually prompt at getting back to you ASAP. How is the NMAT studying going along? The NMAT Review by MSA is beyond the scope of the exam hahaha

Anybody know what time the exam will be held? I've tried calling/emailing the coordinator, but haven't gotten a response yet.

.... till then good luck studying everyone :)

I've had similar problems trying to get in touch with him too...but anyway, in the BOI, there was a letter that said that it starts promptly at 8 am.

Also does anyone know if we get any form of scratch paper? I know it says we can't write in the test booklet and we cant bring any paper but do we really not get anything?

Don't sweat the test! know ur algebra, study some spatial orientation (shapes n ****) and practice being fast! got a 91.. but I guess I had previous practice from military aviation selection on the spatial shapes stuff (from both Navy/AF).. really though, practice the shapes section else you'll run out of time!