L.A. NMAT Nov. '10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexorbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all!

I know it's still far and the registration has not started yet, but I just want to know and I'm curious if there is anyone else aside from me who is planning to take the L.A. NMAT this November?
And if you are, when are you going to start the review? I know it is not as difficult and complicated and more detailed compared to the MCAT but I am already scanning a few books about bio and chem.

It will be nice knowing that there is someone who is in the same boat as I am. :) Well, almost.

So, holla at this thread and dont be shy. :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey dex,

im not takin it in nov...it's either december here in the p.i. or in april of 2011.

what school u plannin on?

hello pr0j3ktm,

oh yeah, its a different test date there in P.I. Well, about P.I. med schools, I think Ill be applying to OLFU, UERM, or maybe even UST. And to CIM as well, since Im from cebu... go cebuanos! (hehe.... :) )

What about you? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey dex,

i plan on attending olfu starting sept 2011. just gotta graduate bsn first.

im over in pampanga finishing it up at angeles university. im originally from cali.

what are you looking for in a medical school? like u.s. rotations? PBL? or traditional?

hi pr0j3ktm,

I see, you're also a nursing major like me.

Anyway, schools with USCE is a big plus for me but it isn't really a major requirement on my part. What I'm looking for is a traditional type of school, thats why I'm having second thoughts about CIM or to any PBL schools. Not that their curriculum is bad. But I just feel like I wont be as successful as compared to me being in a traditional setting. Im used to the traditional type of learning. So yeah.

Some of the factors that I'm looking for are good instructors, adequate and up to date facilities.

hey dex,

yeah. im more of traditional student as well. and i really want the USCE.

that's why im applying to fatima. a user value m.d., ladybug just graduated from there in 2008.

it's traditional teaching and they have usce on your fourth year. so that's a big plus too.

shoot..i heard, us, nursing majors have hard time with biochem in med school..but whatever. haha.

hello pr0j3ktm,

Yeap, Ive actually read some of the posts by ladybug over at valuemd. I dont have a profile there though. I just lurk around that site (hahaha :D). I also read your posts over there too...

Fatima, is a good choice for those of us wanting to come back here and work. USCEs are vital and so is good grades and good USMLE's.

Hey,

I'll be taking the NMAT in LA in November! I just got the packet and practice tests in the mail. Its been a while since I have taken basic sciences...

I'm going to be taking the NCLEX and NMAT around the same time...

SO...much..studying...

hello ChrisRN,

glad to hear from yah! :)

Its been years since I had bio, chem and physics, that's why I have to really review on them too.

nclex and nmat almost at the same time? that's a lot of studying. Good luck on that.

well, i hope we could see each other during test day. but if not good luck to the both of us!

Hey,

When can you register for the NMAT in L.A?
I tried registering this week but a window came up
saying there are no active test dates? Does it mean
I'm too late? Also are there other places to take the
test, I heard you can take it in Chicago and New York.
Any help would be great, I just decided recently to go to
med school in PI.

Thanks!

hey MADc00l,

I just talked to Mr. Godfrey Vergara and he said you could already start registering for the NMAT exam this Nov. 06, 2010. That is the only test date and test site here in the U.S.

I think the one that you did over the internet is for the Philippine NMAT. They do it twice a year. April and December only.

It's better if you call Mr. Vergara and he'll sent you the application forms plus practice sets and he'll asnwer any queries you might have.

PM me and Ill give you his number or you could google him. LOL!

Hope this helps!

can someone please post up the number to whom i should contact to get registered for the nmat this november. thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I just joined this forum, I'm planning on taking the NMAT at the next possible date.. I am however having trouble getting into contact with Mr. Vergara - I tried calling the LA office, I also tried calling the NY office and both numbers are out of service?!

If any of you are planning on taking it in LA too (I noticed that Dex and a couple ppl here are), PM me sometime, maybe we can study together or something? I have a BUNCH of MCAT study materials, and I just grad. Biochemistry at Ucsd so all the science is still fresh in my mind.

PM me!

Respectfully,
--
Lloyd

Hope to meet you all in November during the test in LA.

Do any of you know about doing clinical rotations in the U.S. with a PI school? If so, which ones offer this route?

-Lloyd

Hi guys,

Can you pm me your contact infos. I would like to talk to you guys either in Skype or Yahoo messenger. We could even schedule a conference. I am also taking the NMAT on Nov 6 at LA. This message is especially directed to those taking the NMAT in LA (lmesina, FRN310, dexorbit, MADc00l, ChrisRN) and for anyone who want to join in (join us pr0j3ktm). We will discuss what we know about schools in the Philippines and which one is best for each of us. Thanks

10years

Hello all,

So I'd like to apologize for not using the search function regarding my question. I found that OLFU and UERM offer US clinical rotations.

What is everyone's primary study strategy for this test? Since it seems simple enough (if anything like the sample practice tests from the info package), I wouldn't doubt that reviewing MCAT materials would suffice, if not over prepare us.

Thoughts??

-Lloyd

As what I've read from previous posts and other forums, some P.I. schools allow US clinical rotations but you have to arrange it on your own though. most of them will give you only 3 months.

OLFU and UERM does offer US rotations.

The practice test that comes along with the application packet is sufficient enough for review. Especially to those people who still has the sciences fresh in their minds. As for me, since I haven't had physics, chemistry and mathematics since high school and probably 1st year college I have to review them thoroughly again. :( But its all good.... :)

not to sound like a..what do u call it.."one of those guys",

but the only schools that really consider ur nmat score are: st. lukes, ust, and i think uerm.

for the others it's more of a formality...having said that..getting into med school in the philippines is easy..but getting out successfully, even in US based schools, is the hard part.

not to sound like a..what do u call it.."one of those guys",

but the only schools that really consider ur nmat score are: st. lukes, ust, and i think uerm.

for the others it's more of a formality...having said that..getting into med school in the philippines is easy..but getting out successfully, even in US based schools, is the hard part.

do you by chance know what st. lukes nmat requirement is? from what i hear it is a 90 and if you dont hit that score youre automatically rejected.

do you by chance know what st. lukes nmat requirement is? from what i hear it is a 90 and if you dont hit that score youre automatically rejected.

yes..i believe it's a 90..u aimin for st. lukes?

yes..i believe it's a 90..u aimin for st. lukes?

id like to just because of location wise, but im looking at UERM as my top choice. do you by chance know their requirement?

ahh..i see.

uhm..i believe UERM is around 60-80..haha..i know..broad range..but..im sure someone on this board has an answer close to that.

Hi guys. Sorry if I replied to your guys' pm late. I have already added both project and dexorbit to my YM. if anyone wants to get connected through YM, just send your YM contact info to me (or to project and dexorbit).

Hello all,

So I'd like to apologize for not using the search function regarding my question. I found that OLFU and UERM offer US clinical rotations.

What is everyone's primary study strategy for this test? Since it seems simple enough (if anything like the sample practice tests from the info package), I wouldn't doubt that reviewing MCAT materials would suffice, if not over prepare us.

Thoughts??

-Lloyd
Yes, you're right. Just practice the two practice test packets. Although, if you really want to improve on your score, go and study the basics of psychology, sociology, and anthropology. I think there's a couple more science subjects that i forgot to add there.

hello pr0j3ktm,

oh yeah, its a different test date there in P.I. Well, about P.I. med schools, I think Ill be applying to OLFU, UERM, or maybe even UST. And to CIM as well, since Im from cebu... go cebuanos! (hehe.... :) )

What about you? Any thoughts?
Im glad to hear that you are considering CIM. I will also be applying to CIM, CDU and other schools. The advantage of these two schools is that they use PBL style of teaching. This gives us more time to parallel study for USMLE and possible take it after the 2nd year. UERM, from what I have read in the forums have switched to a hybrid of traditional and PBL style of teaching. It is still a good choice because of its clinical opportunities here.

hello guys and gals!

1+ month to go till test day and I'm so excited. I hope I can meet all of you! LOL!

How's the review going?

hi guys,
I am also planning to take the NMAT in L.A., I just sent the $30 to GODFREY VERGARA for the packet. I'm waiting on the registration packet. What are you guys studying? Leonz15 is also my yahoo id, so message me if you want.

Last edited:
Hi guys! :) I'm new to this thread, I just started thinking about going to med school in the Philippines a few weeks ago.

I'd like to clarify a few things in the thread:
1. Is LA the only location to take the NMAT this year? (How about NY?)
2. The only test date for this year is Nov. 6, 2010?
3. Is the primary contact person for the NMAT in the USA Mr. Godfrey Vergara? Does anybody know his current contact number?

Sorry for the long list of questions, and thanks for your help guys! :)

Hi guys! :) I'm new to this thread, I just started thinking about going to med school in the Philippines a few weeks ago.

I'd like to clarify a few things in the thread:
3. Is the primary contact person for the NMAT in the USA Mr. Godfrey Vergara? Does anybody know his current contact number?

Sorry for the long list of questions, and thanks for your help guys! :)

yes, yes, and do a search. That info must be here somewhere.

Yes, yes, and do a search. That info must be here somewhere.

I contacted Ms. Noreen B. Manzano from the CEM in the Philippines and the LA NMAT in November is the only one given in the US this year. And December 12th is the NMAT date in the Philippines.

I contacted Ms. Noreen B. Manzano from the CEM in the Philippines and the LA NMAT in November is the only one given in the US this year. And December 12th is the NMAT date in the Philippines.

theyre giving the nmat on a sunday. here, in the philippines?

hmm...is that forreal?

It's for real. Here's the email (for obvious reasons I took out my email).

Re: NMAT Questions Sunday, September 5, 2010 6:37 PM
From: "Ma. Noreen B. Manzano" <[email protected]>Add sender to Contacts
To: "Felicia Younger" <***>

Dear Felicia,

We have set the NMAT in the Philippines on December 12, 2010.
Registration will start on September 16, 2010. Registration materials
will be available in the office and at selected medical schools in the
country at the start of the registration period. You can also register
online thru the CEM website, www.cem-inc.org.ph. We don't regularly hold
the NMAT in Korea. For this year, we only have the US and Philippine
testing. The results for the NMAT in December will be released 4 weeks
after the testing day.

Thank you for your interest in the NMAT.

Noreen

hmm...is that forreal?

You'll be surprised that I've taken so many entrance exams in the Philippines on a Sunday:laugh: It's a religion out there.

hmm...good deal..i guess im takin it then..thanks for the heads up.

hmm...is that forreal?

The good thing is, it's more quiet on a sunday, so more "concentration" on answering the test.

The PNLE I took before was held on a saturday and a sunday so yeah that's how the P.I. is really.

Hi guys. We all know that the exam is on Nov 6, 2010.

Here are additional info:
Place: Hacienda Hotel, El Segundo, Los Angeles, CA
Time: 7:30AM

Can you guys confirm on this. Thanks.

Hi guys. We all know that the exam is on Nov 6, 2010.

Here are additional info:
Place: Hacienda Hotel, El Segundo, Los Angeles, CA
Time: 7:30AM

Can you guys confirm on this. Thanks.

Yes. Spoke with Mr. Vergara today.

Hacienda Hotel in El Segundo, CA is the location of the exam.

Here's the address: 525 N. Sepulveda Blvd. El Segundo, California 90245

Examination time: 8:00-11:30 am and 1:30-3:30 pm

Good luck to y'all!

good luck guys..

ill be takin mine on dec. 12.

I'm taking the NMAT also on Dec 12, does anyone know if the periodic table is given and if we are able to use scratch paper because it says we can not write on the test booklet?

I'm taking the NMAT also on Dec 12, does anyone know if the periodic table is given and if we are able to use scratch paper because it says we can not write on the test booklet?

yeah..i noticed that too.

leonz..so ur takin it here in the philippines, yeah? ill be seeing you.

does anyone know where the exact test center is in manila? i cant find it on the CEM website. ive heard it's at la salle..but any specific and solid info would help..thanks.

No periodic table supplied...no need to memorize...just be familiar with it.

Scratch paper is provided......but my memory is fading.

The test is at De La Salle- St Benilde.....you'll find it.

Hello all,

I was set to take it this coming week, but now I'm not sure if I should.

I've studied for the MCAT somewhat, and I'm not sure if the practice packet that Mr. Vergara gave to me is enough.

Can anyone confirm this? Is the packet enough? I'm sure the actual NMAT is different from the packet, so if anyone who has taken it before can confirm the similarities in format, that would be great.

Also, I'm not 100% sure that I'd want to do schooling in PI just yet. I could do it now, or wait a year and a half and make myself competitive for a US DO/MD school. I'm just concerned with the difficulties I'll have come USMLE time if I'm in the PI.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to Dex and everyone in your preparation!

-Lloyd