Not going out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitty3L

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there not planning on attending an out of state med school. I'm married and my husband has his own business established. I do not plan on asking him to uproot his life, and it's not like he could just start working in another state anyway.

Am I the only one who is willing to prioritize something over med school?

I can already see some of your replies, yes I am willing to make very large sacrifices to become a doctor, but asking my husband to make the sacrifice is something altogether different. Am I prioritizing my marriage over med school....you better believe it! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm staying in-state for family reasons, but then I live in Texas, which is not a bad deal. If I don't get in this year, though, all bets are off.

"not planning to go to an out of state school"
No sarcasm intended, but I recently moved with my wife and son from CA to MO and I didn't plan to. Is your husband supportive of your desire to pursue medicine? My wife and son come first, but when I met my wife seven years ago, she knew that I wanted to pursue medicine. I delayed applying for two years so that she could finish her degree. So when my only acceptance came, there was no question whether or not we were going to leave all of our family, friends, and sunny CA behind so that I could attend medical school. However, your situation is different than mine. Best wishes to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My top two choices are in-state, so I guess you could say Id prefer not to go out of state, though its up to my in-state schools to show me some love to keep me around =)

I'd like to stay in state, but I am in Tennessee.......not much going on here. A few options though.

Originally posted by mmapcpro
Say someone manages to get into an in-state med school...what then, are the odds that they will be able to stay in-state for the residency?

Very high. If you look at a school's match list, a good majority of the students match to their own med school's hospital for residency. And that doesnt even include the number of people who could have matched to their own school, but matched elsewhere instead due to their preference rank.

I think there is definitely some regional favoritism for residency on top of your own school being a possible match. So I would say youre chances are very very good of matching in-state.

i'm looking at staying in state if my 1st choice (*baylorbaylorbaylor*) accepts me. my 2nd choice is also in tx. tuition break + nice cost of living = happy med student!

Originally posted by Smitty3L
I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there not planning on attending an out of state med school. I'm married and my husband has his own business established. I do not plan on asking him to uproot his life, and it's not like he could just start working in another state anyway.

I can already see some of your replies, yes I am willing to make very large sacrifices to become a doctor, but asking my husband to make the sacrifice is something altogether different. Am I prioritizing my marriage over med school....you better believe it! :love:

i'm almost in the same situation. i'm getting married this winter and my fiance is working in NYC right now and i am concentrating on the schools in the city and long island. however, i did apply to a few dream schools in other areas. If i do get into those, i think i will stay in the city...but it will be very difficult.

and if i dont' get into any schools here in NYC, it will also be very difficult to move away. I don't know if I would leave my fiance to pursue my career. But in my case, it would only be a year, cuz at that point, my fiance would be done with his residency then and could move wherever I end up. At this point, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i hear from at least one NYC school

Is there anyone only applying to in-state schools? Would this reflect poorly on an applicant?

i doubt it, because the med schools don't know what other schools an applicant is applying to

I really respect that you would put your marriage before school. I'm in the position where I'm going to have to ask my boyfriend to move with me out-of-state, since there's about zero chance I'm getting into one of the UC's. I think you need to make the choices that work for you, and especially if your husband has a business... that's hard.
If I end up with no choice other than going somewhere my boyfriend won't be able to get a job, I'll go anyway, and that will probably mean the end of the relationship, which will suck. But if I were married, I wouldn't go. I would absolutely put my marriage first. If your husband is really supportive, though, it could work.
I hope you get accepted in-state!

Is there anyone only applying to in-state schools? Would this reflect poorly on an applicant?

This is a tough question. Even though I am applying to mostly instate schools, most of them would still require a move. I live in the rather large state of Texas! My husband and I conferred on all the schools before I applied. We agreed on certain requirements. He needs a large city for his job prospects.

Just in case anyone is saying "I would never make my husband move and find a new job!" We've already moved several times for his work, including a relo to New Hampshire!!! Marriage is a partnership. Both people should have a say in it.

You only have one med school in OK, right? So apply to that school. If it doesn't work out the first time, try again and consider adding other schools the second year. I know two women who limited themselves to a med school in town and it worked for them. Yeah, that's anecdotal, but it shows it's not impossible!;)

Good luck!
Theresa