In-state vs Out-of-state during the admission process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kikiwaka3032

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know state schools take lots of in-state students since they get financial support from the state government. I also know that they determine in-state residency for accepted students for tuition-purposes. My question is, during the admission process, like when they review applications and accept people, do they look at from which state applicants are from? Do they differentiate in-state and out-of-state students during the process? If so, how do they do that? Based on the address on AMCAS? I would very much appreciate it if anyone could clarify this.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, during the admission process, like when they review applications and accept people, do they look at from which state applicants are from? Do they differentiate in-state and out-of-state students during the process? If so, how do they do that? Based on the address on AMCAS? I would very much appreciate it if anyone could clarify this.
Yes, we do see the state of residence and this may contribute to decisions regarding the disposition of the application. In particular, it may influence the decision to offer an interview.
AMCAS will ask you to identify your state of residence. It will be part of the primary application.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, we do see the state of residence and this may contribute to decisions regarding the disposition of the application. In particular, it may influence the decision to offer an interview.
AMCAS will ask you to identify your state of residence. It will be part of the primary application.
Oh so whatever I put on AMCAS, like current mailing address, will be residence when it comes to admission, which might be different than state residency for tuition-purposes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh so whatever I put on AMCAS, like current mailing address, will be residence when it comes to admission, which might be different than state residency for tuition-purposes?
You will be asked to provide your legal permanent residence. It is possible that this may not meet the residency requirements of a particular state or school.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be asked to provide your legal permanent residence. It is possible that this may not meet the residency requirements of a particular state or school.
If i move to another state during my gap year like after I submit my primary and possibly secondary, I need to tell them that my address changed. So is it possible that they will consider me as an out-of-state when it comes to admissions, which might eventually contribute to the interview invite and acceptance?

If i move to another state during my gap year like after I submit my primary and possibly secondary, I need to tell them that my address changed. So is it possible that they will consider me as an out-of-state when it comes to admissions, which might eventually contribute to the interview invite and acceptance?
A change of address will not affect the permanent legal residence submitted in the primary application.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding, you can put childhood address, permanent address, and current address. They look at what you put for permanent address to assess in or out of state. HOWEVER, each state has stringent standards to determine residency for tuition purposes (separate from admissions process which may consider where you filed taxes, how long you have been living or lived in the state, and where your car/voter registration is associated).

Reactions: 1 users