not another am i qualified post...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovesleep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pardon me if this sounds like another "am i qualified post" but just wanted to ask advice on a particular topic.

i have a genuine interest in otolaryngology and believe i would be a great resident but my step 1 score was kinda in the dumps. i have a good background as a bioengineer before med school with research and a few national conference presentations as well as a bit of research in med school with a few pubs in surgical fields. Im hoping my overall app would be OK but what can i do in order to not get "weeded out" before the interview process by the ever-so-lovely usmle filter ?
i'm studying for step 2 now and obviously am looking for a great improvement. i have honors in all cores and strong letters but am i doomed to get filtered out before even having my application seen? thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

beuler......

beuler.......

anyone ?

Sure you have a chance. Everyone has a chance. I'm not sure how much more to tell you because you were vague in your scores.

If you really want ENT, go for it, but if you think you're in the bottom 1/3 of those applying, just have a good back up plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
pardon me if this sounds like another "am i qualified post" but just wanted to ask advice on a particular topic.

i have a genuine interest in otolaryngology and believe i would be a great resident but my step 1 score was kinda in the dumps. i have a good background as a bioengineer before med school with research and a few national conference presentations as well as a bit of research in med school with a few pubs in surgical fields. Im hoping my overall app would be OK but what can i do in order to not get "weeded out" before the interview process by the ever-so-lovely usmle filter ?
i'm studying for step 2 now and obviously am looking for a great improvement. i have honors in all cores and strong letters but am i doomed to get filtered out before even having my application seen? thanks for any advice.

My only rec is to do an away rotation at a place you'd really love to go, then try to wow that program with your hard work and charm, assuming that you are hard working and charming, of course...

Beyond that, and really kicking the Step 2 around, research was the biggest difference maker on the applications that I noticed.

thanks all for the comments and constructive critisism. i am studying for step 2 now and hopefully will ace it. i will do an away, take your advice and hopefully make a excellent impression. thanks again.