This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkaicher

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am graduating this May (non-BME engineering B.S. from Missouri S&T) and will be starting my Master's in biomedical engineering this fall (for my "gap year"). I am applying to MD programs in the next cycle for 2019. I have already been accepted to BME MS programs at Northwestern and Wash U in St. Louis. Both are 1-year course-based non-thesis programs.

I would love to hear your opinions, pros/cons, compare/contrast, etc of these two universities while considering their BME programs, MD programs, connection between BME and MD programs, faculty, research, ranking, location, weather, or any other criteria. I intend to apply to the MD programs at both universities.

Note: I have a sister in Chicago and my dad is a Northwestern alumnus. I've also applied to Columbia in N.Y. and Carnegie Mellon, but have not received their decision letters yet. Feel free to include comments on Columbia and CMU.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am unsure if there are many people that will be able to provide you with input since this doesnt seem like a path many take.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't go wrong, Northwestern has some pretty amazing research in tissue engineering and Wash U would help you get an interview at one of the nation's best med schools. Go with whichever one you feel you'd be happier at for the next year

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools really aren't going to care where you did your engineering masters between those two. As far as location/quality of life for the year, I think Northwestern wins that one.

Reactions: 1 users