DO Nontraditional - 3.86/3.84 504 Please Help!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpremed38

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am an individual who has been pursuing medicine off and on for what seems like forever, however, I have never gotten as far as to apply to DO medical schools because I performed poorly in my attempts at the MCAT. I recently took the MCAT and got a 504. I was hoping that this means that it would be appropriate for me to now apply to all or most DO medical schools since the 2018 AACOMAS lists the average MCAT score as 503.83. However, I do have perhaps a few things in my academic history that I feel may make it impossible for me to gain admittance in to a DO medical school. Any input from anybody on my chances for admittance in to a DO medical school given the following will be tremendously appreciated:

Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, December 2009
Large State School
Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 504

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Volunteer at local hospital Same Day Surgery Department - 955 hours
Research Assistant at University Health Center Genetics Lab - 213 hours
Research Assistant for Poeciliine Gonopodium Length and Size Dependence of Mating Strategies Research Project - 1 semester
Research Assistant for Multi-Component Evaluation to Minimize the Spread of Aquatic Invasive Research Project - 2 summers
Research Assistant for The Asian red seaweed Grateloupia turuturu Research Project - 1 summer
Biology Tutor - 1 semester
Member of Premedical Society - 1 year
Volunteer at local Soup Kitchen - 2 years

ACCOLADES/ACHIEVEMENTS
Capital Scholarship winner
Dean's List - 7 occasions
Honor's Note - Economics
New England Scholar - 3 occasions
National Merit Scholar Honor Club Member
Golden Key Honor Club Member
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Club Member
Excellence in Biology Award - 2007

EMPLOYMENT
5/07-present Certified Nursing Assistant

BIG NEGATIVES
Will Be 38 Years Old when/if I apply on May 2, 2020
Old Prerequisites - All of my prerequisite classes were done from 2007-2011
Have not shadowed a DO Doctor nor secured a letter of recommendation from a DO Doctor - Will try to do this as soon as possible
Have not taken Organic Chemistry Lab - Will try to do this as soon as possible
Have not taken Biochemistry - Please let me know if this is necessary
Have not secured a letter of recommendation from a non-science professor - Please let me know if this is necessary
1st MCAT Attempt (August 2010) - 07X - I foolishly decided to go to a Caribbean medical school because I felt that it would more quickly allow me to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. The school did not require the MCAT when I applied. They then informed me a few months before I matriculated that they were making the MCAT mandatory and I that I had to take the exam (although my score would have any effect on my acceptance to the school). At this point I had not taken Physics 1 or 2 (since the school did not require it) and had no time to study so I just filled in random answers. I ultimately did not attend this school because I could not get a loan through the private loan company that was linked to the school.
2nd MCAT Attempt (January 2015) - 20 - Despite my best efforts, I did poorly on the exam. I worked very hard, however, I felt that I lacked direction and did not take enough practice exams. I was going to attempt a Caribbean medical school, however, ultimately decided against it. I decided I would attempt the MCAT a third time before moving on to a different career path. My third attempt resulted in a 504 because I utilized a test prep company and tutor that forced me to take a lot more practice exams.

Any input from anyone on whether it is a worthwhile pursuit for me to attempt to apply to DO medical schools would be greatly appreciated. I wish to apply to every DO school that does not require Biochemistry and a letter of recommendation from a non science professor. I do not enjoy wasting money so if applying to DO schools with my history is a futile pursuit, please let me know. Lastly, if anyone believes that Podiatry would still be an option given my history, please let me know as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do require biochemistry and you will need to check with each school. Where is your state of residence ?
I suggest these schools with your stats but you will need to check each with each school to see if they require biochemistry or a LOR from a non science professor. You will need to take Organic Chemistry lab.
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
UIWSOM
ICOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
MU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
CHSU-COM (new school)
Sam Houston State (new school)

Faha, thank you very much for your reply! Unfortunately, I currently reside in the state of Connecticut. This may sound crazy, however, I would be willing to move to a different state to become a resident of that state if it would help me gain entrance in to a DO medical school. What state do you believe is most ideal to reside in to have the best chance of getting in to a DO school?

I know that your opinion is very highly respected here and I therefore will look in to all the schools that you posted and will attempt to check which schools do not require Biochemistry and a non science letter of recommendation. If there are any other schools that you think I may have a shot at, please let me know! Your post is very encouraging to me. Do you believe that the fact that I am 38, have old prerequisites, and 2 very poor MCAT scores will eliminate me from being granted an interview at all or most schools?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your age does not matter. You should also apply to UNECOM since they have a New England preference. One of my friends started medical school there at age 37. Schools will place much more importance on your recent MCAT of 504 rather than those scores from years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
You can obtain a LOR from a non science professor by taking a non science course at a local college in January and ask that professor for a LOR.