Non traditional Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gold42

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will Texas medical schools look down on me for going to so much school OOS? I would have happily returned home to attend grad school had I gotten in...

You are overthinking the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly is a DIY post bacc program? I may be interested..

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly is a DIY post bacc program? I may be interested..
Im not doing an formal program through the school I am attending. I am just taking the pre req classes I need as a part time student over the next year or so.

Two questions:

1. Are you a Texas resident?

2. Do you have strong ties to Texas?

I have been a Texas resident since I was 6. My parents still live in Texas. I went to undergrad (4 yrs) and grad school (2 yrs) OOS and have been living in that state working while going to school.

Texas medical schools are mandated by law to matriculate 90% Texas residents. To this end, it is in your best interest to re-establish residency if you wish to attend medical school here. In fact, I would posit that it probably isn't worth the effort for a non-resident to apply unless one has a strong research background and is pursuing a dual MD/PhD slot. This reality is compounded by the fact that you have a low undergraduate GPA, which will make you even less competitive as an OOS applicant. Alternatively you could look at medical schools in the state where you currently reside and asses whether you would be a competitive applicant in that environment. One caveat I have seen mentioned is that Texas residents tend to be less competitive for OOS schools, but in my mind that does not supplant the favorable position of being an in-state TMDSAS applicant. If you haven't purchased access to MSAR, do so; that resource alone will provide you with data that is critical for informed decision making throughout the application process.

Edit: Just noticed that you stated you ARE a Texas resident. Double check that you will meet the criteria for claiming Texas residency per the core residency questions (http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/9328.PDF?CFID=87559596&CFTOKEN=80662549). The residency requirements are a bit more stringent for those wishing to pay in-state tuition at a public school.

Last edited: