Non-Traditional Student MESSY TRANSCRIPTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeeB

Reaction score
I am a non-traditional Biological Sciences student at a California State University hoping to attend MD school or DO school. My academic journey has been very sporadic, with no real consistency until recently. I have failed courses and withdrawn from courses and left universities. Here are some of the key aspects of my current life and academic experiences.

I left university at the end of my second year in 2015 in poor academic standing.
I returned to a local community college in the spring of 2022 and received a 4.0 in General Chemistry 2, Introductory Psychology, Introductory Sociology and Nutrition.
I returned to my State University this previous fall, enrolled in Organic Chemistry, 400 and 300 level Bio and received 2 A's and B+ in O-Chem/on the Dean's Listt
My GPA is all over the places from the times before 2015. Failed courses, W's etc. and several trade related classes (Fire Academy, EMT, Non-University Transfer Courses).
My current cGPA is 2.81. I have roughly 80 units of undergraduate work remaining in my BS. This is without factoring retakes.
I have multiple years of experience working as a full-time career firefighter as well as in a physical therapy clinic
I have acquired a research/volunteer position with a local needle exchange program through my university.
I am in the process of finding a physician to shadow.
I have yet to take the MCAT and have calculated that with retakes factored in, I will realistically have a cGPA of 3.2-3.3 upon graduation.
Remaining pre-requisites are the entire physics series, 2/3 of the o-chem series, one general bio course and Bio calculus 2. I have previously failed Bio calculus 2 and physics 1 (7 years ago).

Questions:
Will a strong GPA in my final 110 units of undergraduate work be weighted as heavily as the 3.2 cGPA?
Will my extracurricular work in medicine be a large factor?
What can I do to become the most competitive candidate, and should I only apply to DO schools?
How in depth should I be in my personal statement? I have suffered from substance use disorder in the past, which affected my grades tremendously. I was never convicted of any crimes and have been in recovery for 1.5 years.

Obviously, consistency will be a determining factor in my remaining 1.5 years of undergrad and in MCAT performance.

Honest and sincere answers appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you are taking bio calculus? Most schools only require algebra and like a statistic course plus physics one and 2 with no calculus needed at all.

Your grades from before may limit you at top schools but it’s been a long time between 2015 and now so that’s a huge plus in your direction.

When I was accepted at my state school my undergrad cGPA was barely a 3.0, it was killing the science prereqs that made the difference imo. Also one of my best friends in medical school was a firefighter before being a med student so I’ve seen it done personally and it makes for great and interesting experiences to write about in secondaries/interviews.

Make sure to keep the good consistent work now going, as well as targeting your state schools and nontrad friendly reinvention schools when you do apply and I’d say you have a decent shot. Also apply DO as well can’t be choosy but there are a lot of schools that will value the life experience you have so keep your chin up!

Reactions: 1 users
If you want honest and sincere answers from the SDN community, then you must also be honest with your background. Editing out your addiction will prevent SDNers from taking every factor into consideration on deciding your chances at medical school. I read your original post before you edited out that part of your story...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want honest and sincere answers from the SDN community, then you must also be honest with your background. Editing out your addiction will prevent SDNers from taking every factor into consideration on deciding your chances at medical school. I read your original post before you edited out that part of your story...
Thanks. After doing a bit more research I was not certain if I should include that information in a public thread. But it is important for solid advice moving forward. Also, deciding whether or not to include that information in a personal statement is a point of contention for me that I will likely open a completely new thread on. On one hand, showing a major upswing in all aspects of life upon having that issue resolved is a great story. But on the other side, it can be a question mark.

Is there a reason you are taking bio calculus? Most schools only require algebra and like a statistic course plus physics one and 2 with no calculus needed at all.

Your grades from before may limit you at top schools but it’s been a long time between 2015 and now so that’s a huge plus in your direction.

When I was accepted at my state school my undergrad cGPA was barely a 3.0, it was killing the science prereqs that made the difference imo. Also one of my best friends in medical school was a firefighter before being a med student so I’ve seen it done personally and it makes for great and interesting experiences to write about in secondaries/interviews.

Make sure to keep the good consistent work now going, as well as targeting your state schools and nontrad friendly reinvention schools when you do apply and I’d say you have a decent shot. Also apply DO as well can’t be choosy but there are a lot of schools that will value the life experience you have so keep your chin up!
Thank you Rapsidy. That is what my advisers seem to think as well. As far as Biocalculus, it is now a necessity to retake it since I did so poorly in it 7 years ago. It is okay. This will be more units I can receive high marks in. My academic adviser also seems to believe that it is important for medical schools. In line with what you have said, I am yet to find any schools that specifically require calculus.

I hope you understand that admissions committees will likely probe more deeply into the circumstances of your past use. Your PS should address the issue head on and include contrition, actions you took to recover, and what you are doing/will be doing moving forward to ensure there is no relapse.

I think you can have a great come back story!

Reactions: 1 user

I hope you understand that admissions committees will likely probe more deeply into the circumstances of your past use. Your PS should address the issue head on and include contrition, actions you took to recover, and what you are doing/will be doing moving forward to ensure there is no relapse.

I think you can have a great come back story!
The more I research that specific area of my application, the more I realize it could possibly be an asset provided I am thorough and honest in addressing the issue and show the steps I have taken to overcome. This is part of the reason why I chose a harm reduction in illicit drug use research position. I am also very active in a 12-step program. Thanks again for the input/call out.

Reactions: 1 user