Non Traditional Pre Med aiming for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndafesh97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am a 20 year old student with autism and epilepsy who wants to be a neurologist. I go to a community college and right now I have a 3.093 gpa and I am trying to raise it. I have 4 C'S in Pre calculus, Japanese, Intro Chem, General Chem 1, and I am struggling to not get a C in General Bio 1, the cell and molecular portion of general bio. I didn't have any intro bio course to help me with this, but I should do better. I have 64 units so far, and I am planning on going to CSUN for a bachelors in Cell and Molecular Biology to save money for my family and do school closer to home. I am on track to doing SHPEP and other medical opportunities and I have volunteered in a hospital (around 193 hours), although it was non-clinical. I know that I am not in an ideal situation but I want to be a doctor and help those like me who can't help themselves, plus I love neurology and genetics. If any of you have any questions feel free to ask. Thank you all for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I am a 20 year old student with autism and epilepsy who wants to be a neurologist. I go to a community college and right now I have a 3.093 gpa and I am trying to raise it. I have 4 C'S in Pre calculus, Japanese, Intro Chem, General Chem 1, and I am struggling to not get a C in General Bio 1, the cell and molecular portion of general bio. I didn't have any intro bio course to help me with this, but I should do better. I have 64 units so far, and I am planning on going to CSUN for a bachelors in Cell and Molecular Biology to save money for my family and do school closer to home. I am on track to doing SHPEP and other medical opportunities and I have volunteered in a hospital (around 193 hours), although it was non-clinical. I know that I am not in an ideal situation but I want to be a doctor and help those like me who can't help themselves, plus I love neurology and genetics. If any of you have any questions feel free to ask. Thank you all for reading!

Hi, just want to throw this out there but if you aren't able to pursue medical school due to poor grades there are other ways to get involved in neuro/psych work including Masters Programs and psychology PhDs so explore those routes as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, just want to throw this out there but if you aren't able to pursue medical school due to poor grades there are other ways to get involved in neuro/psych work including Masters Programs and psychology PhDs so explore those routes as well!
Thanks. I want to get into medical school but I’ve always had interests in neuroscience and psychology. I just hope I can get past any issues and get into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a specific question?

Have you been to the learning resource center at your school? Perhaps you are taking too many hours. You have a 3.09 GPA. Is that cummulative(all classes) or science/Math? Schools look
at both . You have a very long way to go but you have to start getting all
As. The median (?)GPA for MD students is 3.7. For DO it is lower but not much. You also have to be realistic. Med school is very hard. If you have any questions ask Away.

Have you been to the learning resource center at your school? Perhaps you are taking too many hours. You have a 3.09 GPA. Is that cummulative(all classes) or science/Math? Schools look
As. The median (?)GPA for MD students is 3.7. For DO it is lower but not much. You also have to be realistic. Med school is very hard. If you have any questions ask Away.

Yes it is cumulative. I’m just wondering how are my chances and what I can do to get better. I still have biochem,ochem,physics, and the another section of gen bio and chem to go.