DO Non Traditional and kinda bad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavidC360

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a senior planning to apply to Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine. I am local to the area, and I am thinking about going the BEAR pathway. This method requires that you only apply to this school (and you are local to the area) and they guarantee an Interview (they expedite your application).

I am 27 y.o. (so a little bit older than the regular pre-med). I was a Navy Corpsman for 5 years, and worked in internal medicine, ED and emergency services (911) for the military, I was ACLS certified, I have recommendation letters from a board certified ED doctor, as well as a Robert Welch professor( The president of the ACS). My current GPA is 3.1, my biology GPA is 3.5., my overal science GPA is something like 3.27. I belong to the board of a charity organization that works in Juarez, Mexico, I am thinking of volunteering with tutoring/classes for adults getting the GED, since that is what I got instead of a HS diploma. I dropped out of school in Mexico because my parents could not afford it and I enrolled myself in a government in the US.

I am really scared about this process, this is my American Dream. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am a senior planning to apply to Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine. I am local to the area, and I am thinking about going the BEAR pathway. This method requires that you only apply to this school (and you are local to the area) and they guarantee an Interview (they expedite your application).

I am 27 y.o. (so a little bit older than the regular pre-med). I was a Navy Corpsman for 5 years, and worked in internal medicine, ED and emergency services (911) for the military, I was ACLS certified, I have recommendation letters from a board certified ED doctor, as well as a Robert Welch professor( The president of the ACS). My current GPA is 3.1, my biology GPA is 3.5., my overal science GPA is something like 3.27. I belong to the board of a charity organization that works in Juarez, Mexico, I am thinking of volunteering with tutoring/classes for adults getting the GED, since that is what I got instead of a HS diploma. I dropped out of school in Mexico because my parents could not afford it and I enrolled myself in a government in the US.

I am really scared about this process, this is my American Dream. Thanks in advance
Have you talked to any students accepted trough this specific process?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you talked to any students accepted trough this specific process?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

I have not been able to find ANYONE that used this before. i think everyone gets scared by the fact that you can ONLY apply there.

I have not been able to find ANYONE that used this before. i think everyone gets scared by the fact that you can ONLY apply there.
I'm looking at their posted class statistics https://bcomnm.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Institutional-Snapshot-2.11.2020.pdf . There are some students who they espouse come from the BEAR region though it doesn't mean they were admitted through the application pathway you speak of. I can understand being adverse to being "the first" so hopefully the admissions office will be very generous in giving you insight and confidence in applying through that pathway.

This fall
As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you will be competitive for the majority of DO schools, including BCOM. If you take the MCAT this fall you may be able to apply this October for the class entering in August 2021. Your other option would be to apply in 2021 for the 2022 class.