This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Penguingurl

Reaction score
Greetings,
I’m needing some advice on how to move forward!
Background-
I’ve always had my eyes set on medical school! I was in foster care as a kid so when finishing high school I went straight to CC, trying to figure out working paying rent and going to school was rough while also having my boyfriend passing away during that time. I finished an associate degree with a 2.0 failing A LOT of science courses! I continued to graduate with a 3.8 GPA in with a BS in psychology and human development and family studies. I got diagnosed with crohns in college which is why I didn’t get to take my pre med coursework (I have a semester that I medically withdrew so I have W’s). I’m currently in the peace corps working in the health sector! I return in December and I’m trying to figure out how to proceed with my goal of medical school.

During college I worked as a scribe for 2 years and have a lot of hours volunteering with make a wish, Ronald McDonald house, periwinkle foundation, and a lot of others! I have 40+ hours shadowing (pediatric, gastro, family medicine) also not to mention all my work with the peace corps which I don’t know exactly how to classify it!

My questions:

1-Would it be better to do a post bacc or masters or DIY post bacc?! (I have no pre med reqs)

2- I know they average all The gpas together so would a 4.0 post bacc help me?! Especially with that CC bringing my gpa down?!

3. Do people in my situation get into medical school?!

4- would it be beneficial to get some research experience?!

6- anything else you think might make me a stronger candidate or improve my application!!

Note- I did take the MCAT after studying with a doctor that kind of took me under his wing and scored a 511. Unfortunately by the time I’m done with pre reqs it will most likely be expired!

Brutal honesty appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a DIY post bacc at a local college fine. You need to take enough science courses so that your sGPA and cGPA are at least 3.0 (which includes all undergraduate level courses you have ever taken). A MCAT of 511 is competitive for all DO schools and some MD schools so if you can obtain that score again in the future you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user