Non-trad student looking for input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LumberjackDK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question gets asked all the time, so I'm sorry for the redundancy/length of this post. I know there are many threads on this topic, but I couldn't find one that recent.

I'm a 25 year old (white) male. Graduated with a B.S. in psych with premed prereqs (sans Biochem) in 2012. cGPA 2.7, sGPA 2.1, no MCAT yet

I ****ed around too much in undergrad and paid for it. No one knows this better than I do, so no need to remind me. I also know that my chances of getting into a structured PB program are slim with that GPA, and even that isn't a guarantee of success.

Currently I'm a paramedic (Also, would that count as patient contact hours or would I also need to volunteer somewhere?). I have plenty former coworkers that have gone on to nursing or PA school. However, I have always had a desire to be a physician. My grades turned me off of that a bit, but recently my passion has been rekindled due to a personal loss, and I'm willing to take whatever steps necessary to fulfill that dream.

I've been reading tons of forums on SDN, talking to friends in and out of med school, and I think I've figured out a course of action. I would like some input:

1. Re-take my C grade prereqs as per AACOMAS grade replacement policy. Looking at 1-2 years of classes.
  2. Apply/get into a structured post-bac or SMP program
  3. Study hard for/destroy the MCAT
  4. Apply to DO schools
Anyone have any thoughts or changes to this? One possible difference I am considering is taking upper level sciences (Biochem, Genetics, etc) instead of grade replacement. But that would still leave me with a horrendous GPA applying to PB/SMP or DO schools.

I understand that this is a long, expensive process, but this is truly my passion and I wouldn't feel fulfilled if I didn't pursue it.

Thanks again for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, you should be fine. I would add a few things:
1.) Yes you need to volunteer somewhere. Adcoms want to see that you are empathetic. No it doesn't necessarily have to be in a hospital, considering that you already have (extensive?) clinical experience as a paramedic.
2.) I would consider taking upper div classes in addition to retaking the other classes, it shows growth in addition to recovery; this may require a formal or informal 2+ year postbacc.
3.) Wait till after you finish the smp before you apply. Yes that means you are 3-4 years away from med school; possibly more considering your particularly low GPA. You can't rush this process, a bad performance in any of the above will ruin your chances of being a physician for good; unless you want to go the Caribbean, which is a problem in and of itself.

Cheers

Edit: Didn't see your DO focus before. If you can get your GPA to a 3.2 or so and couple that with a very high mcat score, you might be able to avoid an SMP; which is 50k dollars worth of importance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I am looking into volunteer options. Does something overseas/impoverished area for a few weeks look better than in-hospital stuff? Or do adcoms not really care as long as you're doing something

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! I am looking into volunteer options. Does something overseas/impoverished area for a few weeks look better than in-hospital stuff? Or do adcoms not really care as long as you're doing something
Mission trips are seen as fluff; stick to long-term commitments. The standard thing to do would be to volunteer somewhere, a couple hours a week, for the next however-long-till-you-get-into-med school.