Non-Trad; PharmD -> MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chillz87

YouTuber
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Background: I am currently a 4th year pharmacy student, and I will be applying to med school hopefully for admission into the Fall 2014 cycle. I plan on prepping for the MCAT during these next few months.

Academics:
Undergrad - BS in Nutrition - GPA: 3.33
Pharmacy - GPA: 3.61

Experience:
Undergrad - Anatomy lab TA (1yr), Sporadic involvement in AMSA and pre-pharm society, and various local community service throughout. No research, no shadowing.

Pharmacy - Heavily involved in multiple student organizations including officer positions. Lots of patient interaction through various IPPEs and community service; Clinical experiences during my current APPE rotations, including shadowing multiple physicians.

I know I don't have a stellar background..so I'm hoping I can score high on the MCAT to help my application a bit. Any ideas of what my chances would be?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

Background: I am currently a 4th year pharmacy student, and I will be applying to med school hopefully for admission into the Fall 2014 cycle. I plan on prepping for the MCAT during these next few months.

Academics:

Experience:
Undergrad - Anatomy lab TA (1yr), Sporadic involvement in AMSA and pre-pharm society, and various local community service throughout. No research, no shadowing.

Pharmacy - Heavily involved in multiple student organizations including officer positions. Lots of patient interaction through various IPPEs and community service; Clinical experiences during my current APPE rotations, including shadowing multiple physicians.

I know I don't have a stellar background..so I'm hoping I can score high on the MCAT to help my application a bit. Any ideas of what my chances would be?

Your chances depend largely on the MCAT score. If you could list the hours total for each of your ECs that would help. Those are very important since you have the low GPA red flag, even if your MCAT is high...are you a URM by chance?

Hey all!

Academics:

Experience:

MD schools judge one primarily by undergrad GPA, since all applicants don't have a professional degree by which they can be compared.

You can see the chances of past applicants with your uGPA and various potential MCAT score outcomes here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the same position you are, except I have taken the MCAT twice. What made you choose medicine after pharmacy

Thanks for the replies! Here is some further clarification:

Undergrad EC:
Organizations
Pre-pharmacy society - 1 year
AMSA - 1 year

Volunteering

North Florida Regional Medical Center pharmacy volunteer - 6 months
Adopt-A-Street Program Volunteer - 1 year

Misc
Human Anatomy Lab TA - 1 year

Graduate EC:
Organizations
Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity - 3 years
-Corresponding secretary
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacists - 3 years
-Vice President, Webmaster
Academy of Student Pharmacists - 3 years
-Webmaster
Rho Chi Honor Society - 1.5 years
-Treasurer
Society of Critical Care Medicine - 6 months

Volunteering

Community Health Screenings - few hours twice a year x 2 years
Altrusa House, Sidney Lanier School Cleanup, Great Gator health fest - Few hours a year x 2 years

Misc
Incoming 1st year College of Pharmacy Speaker - 2 years

-------------------
I'm hoping my clinical experiences from my pharmacy rotations (5 hospitals in 5 different cities with 9/11 inpatient rotations), coupled with a high mcat can offset my undergrad. I never planned for med at all and was actually an engineering major initially.

Im in the same position you are, except I have taken the MCAT twice. What made you choose medicine after pharmacy

many things, but I been thinking about it since my 2nd year pharm, but was never serious about it. I became serious during rotations. From the humbling and rewarding experience managing pain in hospice/cancer patients, to working with amazing physicians at mayo clinic during my transplant rotation, down to the adrenaline of being on call for over 15 hours shadowing a trauma surgeon all day.

Simply put I just fell in love with medicine