Non physician LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if programs will care if you have a LOR from a professor at your school? I am applying to ER residencies and the professor I did research with wrote me a pretty good LOR but I don't know if programs will care since it is not from a physician and will probably be an extra LOR, i.e. #4 out of a requested 3. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the research EM related? If so, and you are applying to research intense programs, then send it as a fourth. If not then skip it.

it's probably a waste of time. ER is very clinical, and they want to hear from attendings etc. what you've done in a lab is irrelevant.

doc05 said:
it's probably a waste of time. ER is very clinical, and they want to hear from attendings etc. what you've done in a lab is irrelevant.

It doesn't really require much "time" - just a click of a button to add it to ERAS. ;)

I requested 6 LORs total - and I had 1 LOR from a non-med school research mentor. It was probably the best letter I got (though I am not exactly sure what my letters said.) I did add it, even if a program did not ask for it. I got all my interviews, so as far as I can tell, it didn't hurt me.

You may want to ask someone in EM, though. Not sure if it would be a strike against you, if you would be perceived as annoying or not following the rules, etc. - as it relates to EM.

good luck

amdap said:
It doesn't really require much "time" - just a click of a button to add it to ERAS. ;)

yes, it does require much time. remember that each program gets a couple hundred applicants...if you were reviewing applicant files, how would you feel about those who decided to add in unnecessary letters?? it adds up to MUCH time..

BS doc '05 - if they're interested enough to interview you they'll read the letter. I sent 4 letters to all my programs and got all my interviews so I doubt that it hurts you. I just doubt that this particular letter will add much to the application.

If the research was during medical school for six months or more, approximately full-time, then yes, definitely include a letter. If it was for two months or less, or less than full-time, or before medical school, then don't include it. If it's in between, you need better advice than you'll find on SDN to help you figure it out.