Non-Certified Loans still around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grif

Crazy About Psychology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm looking for a unicorn!

Does anyone have any advice for where to get a non-certified student loan? I'm definitely going to need one during this school year to replace my ancient computer and cover a couple of necessary expenses.

I've looked online, but it looks like a lot of banks that used to provide non-cert loans no longer do.

EDIT: I'm a non-medical undergraduate (So Med or Plus loans won't do)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know of any.

Why can't your financial aid office increase your CoA to purchase a computer?

My school will not increase my COA at all. I've had many long discussions with the financial aid office and have asked the head of financial aid directly (she said no). Unfortunately I feel like a non-cert loan is my only option at this point because the office is totally unwilling to work with me.

What's stupid about this is that I'm taking my classes online this semester (and next semester) and currently have an A in them. If my computer dies, I'll have to commute three hours to the school by bus to complete my homework -- which totally defeats the purpose of taking my classes online.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's no fun. As for non-cert loans, it isn't like it was just a few years ago.

If something does happen with your computer, why not just go to a library and do your work? Other than that, I don't know what to tell you other than to start working or to get a small loan from parents or family.

That's no fun. As for non-cert loans, it isn't like it was just a few years ago.

If something does happen with your computer, why not just go to a library and do your work? Other than that, I don't know what to tell you other than to start working or to get a small loan from parents or family.

Yeah, it's a bummer. My local library has a 1-hour limit on computer usage, but I can always borrow my GFs library card or use her computer if worse comes to worse (actually posting from it now). I don't want to bogart her computer, but it should only be for a while. :thumbup:

What about wells fargo???