Non 9-5 workdays in PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skyris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of physical therapists who work shifts, evenings, or otherwise unconventional full-time hours?

The reason I ask is because I suffer from mild delayed sleep phase disorder (It's difficult for me to sleep early and wake early, independent of bedtime discipline). I've dealt with it my entire life and I dream of a job where I can work from noon to 8 or 9pm, or something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad.

There is definitely a need/demand in outpatient for evening hours. Many people don't want to miss work/school for frequent appointments. I've seen more clinics extending their evening hours as late as 9pm or so. Fortunately for you, there's a good chance many other therapists won't want to work those late shifts either.

Reactions: 1 users
The hospital I spent a good amount of time shadowing at definitely had people working evening shifts (12-8 I think?)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At the outpatient clinic I work in, the afternoon therapists work from 12-7.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The outpatient ortho places will LOVE you. There's a great job in my area right now that works mainly with high school athletes....they haven't been able to fill it since it's evening hours. I would mention it in interviews. There are places I interviewed that don't do evening hours now but would if they could find someone to cover it.

Reactions: 1 users
I did observation hours with a sports physical therapist who has late hours since most of his patients are student athletes. He even had a soccer team that would come in on Mondays around 7:30pm and stay till 9:30 or 10pm.

Seriously outpatient clinics that stay open late for after work/school pts (or those that would like to expand their hours) will be salivating if you tell them you prefer to work in the evenings. If noon to 9 is the schedule you actually want you should have no problem finding an OP job.

Also, ED PT is a very cool newer, growing area of practice where evening shifts would likely be available. Most hospitals don't have an ED PT program yet, and many only staff part-time or on a consult basis, but many programs are popping up around the country as the benefits are starting to be recognized. Many ED's are busiest in the evening.
Physical Therapist Practice in the Emergency Department

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I'm actually not all that drawn to outpatient ortho as a setting (of course this will probably change between now and when I graduate), but I'm ecstatic to hear there are positions in PT where my body clock might actually be something positive.