Nobody can get a great score in part 1 with decks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rturgay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is ridiciolus to say decks is enough for p1 to get great score.
study hard,have an opinion from everything especially underlined in ur handouts ,KRB,notes ,etc...
decks will not be enough for those who want to get a score that can be usefull for the future.

Members don't see this ad.

you need Qbank, kaplan book, and papers to get over 90, That's what I used in to get my 91 and still it was a dog fight.

you need Qbank, kaplan book, and papers to get over 90, That's what I used in to get my 91 and still it was a dog fight.
they are not even enough.if u r not a good student with good grades in ur school.
i know a lot of students in us ,thay barely past the test with 75 79,most of them fail from 1 or two parts of the test and retake it again.
according to my opinion ,it is an overall thing,
u gotto be good student with fresh knowledge and then u need to review ur knowledge with the decks,q bank, old exams etc.. to get a passing score.
as i said its my opinion...

Not true. Most people on SDN who scored 95+ didn't touch Qbank or Kaplan's book. The old papers are definitely essential, though. Rturgay is right that studying hard during your first year or two of dental school is the best thing you can do to prepare for the boards. After you've done that, the decks and old tests are plenty if you are thorough with them. Other materials are good supplements, but scoring 90+ is absolutely possible with just the decks and old tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya i definitly agree that decks n previous q papers r enough only if u r vey good wit basics..otherwise kaplan notes r important....but wat abt qbank..i came to know thru threads that qbank is not of much help?any comments?

Definitely agree about old exams and dental decks. i had the qbank and it was a big waste of money.

I dont agree tht only decks and old papers get u the score of 90+....I have given my exam within the last few months..and I feel tht one should have a thorough knowledge of every topics...
Yes, decks are good indeed..but they are not the only source of study material tht one shld. go thro'...

And I got quite a few questions tht were not in kaplan book or even in decks..Some of the questions in Q bank helped me...and some of my google searches...

All ,I can say is tht if we have time, we shld try to go thro as much as we can..and if we are short on time, try going thro' the decks and old papers...
I mean when u near ur exams u take a quick revision of ur book..and in the last few days go thro' all decks and old papers..

I used my 10 papers, from 1999-2006 to get 91 in my part 1.

HIIIIIIIIII,I am anew member in this interesting site and this my first msg in it. I interested about your msg and your score..congratulations..and i need your advice to get high score like you. i am studing the dental decks 2006-2007 and i fiished the anatomy and half of bio-phy, i started studing before two months..my plane is to finish the dental decks then read kaplan and go through the AdA exams and kaplan,is this enogh for high score???and i heared that these sources is not enough for dental anatomy, is that true what referance i use??and what your schedule for studing bcs i am losting alot of time.Thankssssssssssss,i hope to :) helpe me.

I used my 10 papers, from 1999-2006 to get 91 in my part 1.[/QUOT
hi where r the papers from 2000 -2006 available
n how can i hav them
i hav old ones like 89 ,91,96,2004 pilot exams
plz help m e out
bye
thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
:)

which papers are these?are they same as the released asa 1998-2006?but they have just 200 quest right?
Pl correct me if i m wrong n PL advise me which are the more Important papers,from1977onwards or 1990 onwards?Which do i spend more time on.I have 3 weeks left.
Thanks.
stannle

which papers are these?are they same as the released asa 1998-2006?but they have just 200 quest right?
Pl correct me if i m wrong n PL advise me which are the more Important papers,from1977onwards or 1990 onwards?Which do i spend more time on.I have 3 weeks left.
Thanks.
stannle

I'd like to know as well. which papers do u guys think are the most important to review before the exam? I dont have 1998-2006 papers but i got the ones from '77 - '96. Do you think that will be enough? Thanx in advance.

AC

Well i agree that decks are not enough... just wrote test last week and i hardly doubt if i got even 10 % direct questions from it... though released papers are the best bet but you cant do with both of them... i missed out on Kaplan's :-( I did released papers from 1977-2005 but still not enough to score 90 + I only managed to get 86 % which is so depressing. I guess the most recent released papers should be a great help.

I would like to tell you that, after more than 5 years in my previous school of dentistry and almost half a year of intensive preparing in US for Part 1 with lots of books, all the released ASDA tests, NO decks, et cetera, I barely made it. Today I received my results: 80.
I don't know what else should I say, just STUDY HARD, at least 6 hours a day, 5-6 days a week!!!
Now I am preparing for taking Part 2 next year and to apply for several schools of dentistry in US.
Best of luck!

Is it worth the time and money to take one of the Kaplan courses for the NBDE I? If so, which course should I take (the one with the 14hrs of video instruction, the online one that includes the review notes, or the online one that doesn't include the review notes?)- what parts of the course were the most useful?
Thanks!

Is it worth the time and money to take one of the Kaplan courses for the NBDE I? If so, which course should I take (the one with the 14hrs of video instruction, the online one that includes the review notes, or the online one that doesn't include the review notes?)- what parts of the course were the most useful?
Thanks!

Avoid Kaplan for the NBDE. Stick with Dental Decks, old tests, and doing well in classes that apply.

anyone from canada preparing for QP and NBDE?
just lemme know...
i m new here..wanna know how n where to start with?

Help,what Q bank,do you all use,You mean KAPLAN Q banks?I am doing Kaplan q bqnks right now but it sounds too hard,it's different from all other tests,I don't know is it really necessary?

Last night ,I was searching ADA site,and I found out NBDE part one is gonna get harder,and comprehensive,do you know when is the date?when in 2007 is it gonna be changed?

Not true. Most people on SDN who scored 95+ didn't touch Qbank or Kaplan's book. The old papers are definitely essential, though. Rturgay is right that studying hard during your first year or two of dental school is the best thing you can do to prepare for the boards. After you've done that, the decks and old tests are plenty if you are thorough with them. Other materials are good supplements, but scoring 90+ is absolutely possible with just the decks and old tests.

I agree, most people at my school who took this test last year just studied the decks, and previous exams and did just fine (alot of them scored in 90's).

Do you know where can I get old exams?I just used the ones like from 87to 96 do you mean those?

Last night ,I was searching ADA site,and I found out NBDE part one is gonna get harder,and comprehensive,do you know when is the date?when in 2007 is it gonna be changed?

As I know it will be effective January 2007.

I never did Kaplan Qbank, coz I know it is waste of time, do all the released test starting from 1977, and read Kaplan explanation for 1985 to 1996 released Q's, do them all with decks(this one revise it more than twice), also you need to use kaplan book as a reference for basic understanding of Osmosis, Hydrostatic pressures and Heart and Kidney mechanism anatomicaly and physiologicaly. It is a must, since most of phy/bioch Q's comes from their.

Hello for every one
I’m living in Montreal, but to equivalence your diploma in Canada, it coasts a lot in addition it’s too difficult here in Montreal you have to master tow languages French an English, so I’m thinking about USA maybe it’s easier than Canada. I want to know if I can have the NBDE 1 here in Montreal and what are the references do I need to study and the date of the exam or any useful information.
I have (Dental decks and Kaplan book) NBDE 1 in addition some released exams. Do you think that enough to prepare my self for the exam?

I feel I’m loosing the time
Please I don’t Know how to begin.
Thank you so much

Hi
I wrote part one mon ago,Dental decks is not enough at all ,first read all dental decks well then go to ASDA ,from A to M ,read every question and know why is ech ans was the correct choice,if u have time then try to get a small information about each question topic from books or internet,whatever .the point is to understand each question well.Writing the exam without studying ASDA is hopless.I discoverd that AFTER my exam!!!unfortunately.
Let me know if u need anything.
Good luck
Unit together,Manar
Hello for every one
I’m living in Montreal, but to equivalence your diploma in Canada, it coasts a lot in addition it’s too difficult here in Montreal you have to master tow languages French an English, so I’m thinking about USA maybe it’s easier than Canada. I want to know if I can have the NBDE 1 here in Montreal and what are the references do I need to study and the date of the exam or any useful information.
I have (Dental decks and Kaplan book) NBDE 1 in addition some released exams. Do you think that enough to prepare my self for the exam?

I feel I’m loosing the time
Please I don’t Know how to begin.
Thank you so much

YAAA me,
Start with dental decks 2,CHOSE UR PREFER SUBJECT THEN ......
i DON'T ADVICE STARTING WITH PHARMA OR oRAL PATHO.
GOOD LUCK
anyone from canada preparing for QP and NBDE?
just lemme know...
i m new here..wanna know how n where to start with?

hi i'm an international student and i'm planning to take my part one towards the end of the year i have the decks and kaplan book.are they enough.pls wots asda?

I would like to tell you that, after more than 5 years in my previous school of dentistry and almost half a year of intensive preparing in US for Part 1 with lots of books, all the released ASDA tests, NO decks, et cetera, I barely made it. Today I received my results: 80.
I don't know what else should I say, just STUDY HARD, at least 6 hours a day, 5-6 days a week!!!
Now I am preparing for taking Part 2 next year and to apply for several schools of dentistry in US.
Best of luck!

Hi, I got 80 too and am wondering , shall I study for part 1 again or take part 2? Is 80 sufficient for getting admission in an advanced standing program?
Thanks

can smebody tell me how GPA is scored?
i did my BDS with 57 % overall and 56% in final yr
with 1 re-appear in microbio in my 2nd yr:thumbdown:
what will be my GPA with this effort in my graduation.

PLZ reply me i m very confused .i m thinking i can't make it with such
low scores in my bds.:confused:

Hi,
I am new member..I have been studying for part one and I am looking for a partner. If anyone from pensacola please let me know.

Thanks.
stannle
hey where do i get these papers .... give some information please...

I dont really think you need all the aforementioned tools to get >90. Its unnecessary to study Kaplan and Q bank etc.

Its much harder to do well on the boards if you dont have the foundational knowledge from your basic science classes in D1 and 2. If youve done well in those classes and busted your a$$...the knowledge comes back much much quicker.

Best advice: start early , know the decks and do old questions.