No Scholarships Yet!

vstexas09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been applying since the beginning of the school year, but I have not yet won anything.

I'm 2 in my class with 1950 SAT score...

what should i do??

I'm going to UT Austin

Members don't see this ad.

I've been applying since the beginning of the school year, but I have not yet won anything.

what should i do??

I'm going to UT Austin

Take out student loans.

what should i do??

I'm going to UT Austin

Unfotunately student loans if you can't get any other types of financial aid . It's what I am doing but don't give up on signing up for those scholarships cause it can help pay off your student loans or anything else you need school related .

Members don't see this ad :)
Try lottery. You might get 41 million dollars. Oh, don't forget to give me 1 million dollars if you got 42 million. :D

I really don't know what to do...

If you are not getting any money from your school or any local scholarships, idk what you are going to do.

You may have to take out some loans.

Are you getting any financial aid from UT?

That, or prepare to work enough to cover costs.

Difficult, but doable, but will probably affect your GPA

Working isn't worth it, in my opinion. No college job will pay you well enough to warrant doing. Incur the debt, and use your spare time for some extra studying and/or relaxation of whatever kind you prefer.

At least it's a decent investment and not a waste .

Basically, either hope for money or take out loans. Other than that, get a job now and then go to college later.

I suggest that you take out loans. Like everyone else has suggested. Everyone does it. You pretty much have to unless your parents are paying for it or a scholarship.

Can't you just go to a different school? It seems like you'd have cheap options with your academic qualifications (i.e., getting scholly $ just for your test scores or class rank).

Difficult, but doable, but will probably affect your GPA

Working isn't worth it, in my opinion. No college job will pay you well enough to warrant doing. Incur the debt, and use your spare time for some extra studying and/or relaxation of whatever kind you prefer.

We're probably outliers, but one of my siblings and I both made enough money to cover tuition, living and to save during college. It's not impossible, but it does take good time managment and you do have to sacrifice your free time. I will agree that working for min wage is not really worth it.

Working seasonally can help eliminate some of the school interference. If you work lots in the summer at a decent paying job you can sort of coast through the school year as far as work is concerned.

General job advice: If you have transportation don't work at the university, generally universities pay crap compared to other places. Even for the same job. It is harder to get a job now than it usually is, but still shop around.

Other than that, get a job now and then go to college later.

If you have health insurance through your parents not remaining a full-time student can result in you being removed from the plan under many policies. This is something to look into before taking the above route.

you probably applied very broadly through fastwebs which is tough. Your best strategy would have been to find local scholarships. Do call UT and ask them if they have scholarships for students like you...trust me, all schools have a lot of scholarships to give based on a variety of qualificiations.

Yeah, like DrYoda mentioned, when I suggest working, I am NOT talking about min wage campus 'work-study' programs which aren't generally worth it in terms of $ (but maybe very valuable, depending on the job, in terms of connections/experience, alternative compensation, etc such as TA, RA, LA, note-taker, peer counselor, etc.)

I worked as a CNA (certified at a summer program) in the evenings/overnights and as a welder on weekends, plus delivered newspapers and put in time as a teaching assistant, resident advisor (which also provided certificaitons and housing), note taker, lab assistant, tutor, and the OTC drug distribution at a campus infirmary. Some of those jobs 'paid' min wage, but were invaluable in terms of certifications that helped later on, or covering the cost of housing, etc.

It DID still affect my grades (I also went to a highly ranked small, private, liberal arts school....mostly because I could get more in scholarships to offset tuition enough to make it cheaper than any state school I was accepted at.) Then again, my school didn't believe in grade inflation; among science students there were zero 4.0's at graduation. We do have some of the highest acceptance rates in grad programs (including professional programs.)

or do community for two years...Craig Venter did and look what he doing now

what should i do??

I'm going to UT Austin

I'm not familiar with how good a 1950 SAT is (I was under the 1600 system) but it doesn't seem like it would be anything extraordinary. That's an average section score of 650.

I don't know if you were hoping for merit awards because you can't afford UT otherwise or that you just think your stats entitle you to money but I wouldn't bank on money just because you have those numbers.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or anything, but holding the attitude that you deserve merit money can only hurt you. There's always more qualified applicants. Maybe the guy who was #1 with a 1951 SAT got every award you applied for. I only mention it because if you have the same attitude four years down the line that your college stats mean you should to get into med school/your top choice then you'll be sorely mistaken.

Sorry about your situation. Have you been applying for the local scholarships? Those are usually the easier ones to get. I assume you use fastweb.com. So, just tag all the local scholarships and just keep applying. Also, why not get a job to help with finances.

Does your school have use tuitionpay, because that would allow you to make monthly payments. If so, this would allow your parents or your bank account to gain more money in your/their savings.

Another thing you can check out is the tax reduction for some students. I get 2,000 off every year using the lifetime tax reduction for college students. It is really nice.

I think a job would be nice for the summer to prevent boredom.

Hope this helps!

look at the loans that you might have to take out as investments... and work your @$$ off academically. i'd imagine that nothing would motivate you to study more than the bill you receive each semester...